Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:39:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs  (Read 245580 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #420 on: January 28, 2008, 07:31:39 AM

Impressive that the "Big 3" (UO, AC, EQ) all stayed in the top 10 after all these years. Strong nostalgia or just solid MMOGs? You decide(d)!

I think it's tough to fault those that blaze the trail.  I'd say that WoW is held to a much higher standard and still rises to the challenge.  As a game, Vanguard has many better components than the original EQ, but it suffers strongly from the fact that it had history to learn from... and didn't.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #421 on: January 28, 2008, 07:33:44 AM

I'm amazed Fury got 7 points. 

I'm just surprised that Fury didn'ty get a sperate thread complaining about the lack of threads discussing how Fury got seven points.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #422 on: January 28, 2008, 09:15:48 AM

Impressive that the "Big 3" (UO, AC, EQ) all stayed in the top 10 after all these years. Strong nostalgia or just solid MMOGs? You decide(d)!

There's been a lot of garbage released since then and some of the good stuff released has been very niche.  Very not surprised. 

These games also represent some very different facets of MMO player: UO for sandboxer, AC for PVPer (Darktide), and EQ for raider.  For many I'd imagine these games were the foot in the door or the be-all-end-all.  I don't think anyone's done UO better, Darktide players can't stop talking about Darktide, and people run to EQ's defense if anyone tries to besmirch its name.

So, I guess it's a lot of both.

-Rasix
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #423 on: January 28, 2008, 09:23:16 AM

I don't think anyone's done UO better,

Someone try, damnit. Would Eve's 1.0-0.0 system work in a land-based MMORPG?

I have never played WoW.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: January 28, 2008, 10:26:35 AM

Sure it would.  But combat and game mechanics have to be good first. 
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #425 on: January 28, 2008, 10:57:02 AM

Darktide players can't stop talking about Darktide

That is the best and most diplomatic assessment of Darktide evar.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #426 on: January 28, 2008, 12:35:50 PM

Nostalgia about MMOG's, especially one's first MMOG, cannot be detached from the MMOG itself. One's first MMOG is like one's childhood, only with grind and pixelated boobies.

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #427 on: January 28, 2008, 12:41:27 PM

One's first MMOG is like one's childhood, only with grind and pixelated boobies.

That was redundant.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #428 on: January 28, 2008, 01:12:38 PM

If you compare development budget versus ranking, I think ATitD wins. 

If they'd allow me to schedule my guy to work rather than actually WORKING, the game would have been an interactive version of Travian but *shit tons* better.

Crafting and all is fun until you have to start mass-producing.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #429 on: January 28, 2008, 06:38:03 PM

I'm amazed Fury got 7 points. 

Vanguard got 67.

What's your point?

A number of people appeared to pad their posts with titles in order to reach a total of 5 or 10 names.

I didn't play because the distance between my favourite MMO and anything I'd consider to be second is just too big. My top 5 will be titles I enjoyed, not just titles I played. Nyah, or something.

spiralyguy
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: January 29, 2008, 03:15:15 PM

Better late then never I suppose.  My list is sorted by time played.  I have a fetish for video game music, think I value sound/music more then graphics  Ohhhhh, I see.

1)  WoW - Just seems to have gotten alot of stuff right and not too much stuff wrong, certainly helps that it's what all my friends are playing.  Also my first MMO, and I've probably been spoiled by it.  WoW's music for the most part is good though if you spend too long in the same place it keeps playing the same song and that's annoying.  Graphics are ok, sounds are great.

2) DDO - I didn't mind the forced grouping.  I got a cleric to lvl 3, people in my groups were always running off and killing things or doing stuff then coming back demanding to be healed.  Usually I didn't know what was going on, just follow and heal.  Boring!  So I rolled a ranger.  Was having fun, got to lvl 5-6, realized I'd totally messed up my character, like REALLY bad.  Didn't want to reroll again so I quit.  Sound didn't seem that great, I don't even remember music.  Character models seemed pretty good but the dungeons I saw were butt ugly and plain.

3) EVE - I was attracted to the meta-game here.  The market, the politics, the guild relations and warfare.  It all sounded so cool!  Once you got into the actual game it wasn't that cool.  Very much disliked the skill system.  Something about leveling while you are offline (either legit or with farming macros) seems really wrong to me.  I really liked the ambient music in the game though and sound was alright. 

4) EQ2 - I don't really have any complaints about EQ2 at all.  Nice atmosphere, music was original, graphics were great, sound was alright.  I played after an expansion or two so most of the horrid shit from launch was ironed out by then... I rolled a Fae Cleric so whatever expansion Faries was added.  I never did find a group though, I don't like soloing too much so I found it tedious to get out of the rookie levels.  I should probably give this game another go sometime and roll something other then cleric.

5) Vanguard - Yea... I got vanguard.  I got suckerd by the hype.  Plus some of my WoW friends are ex-hardcore EQ1 junkies.  I get speils about how they had to walk uphill both ways barefoot through kneedeep snow to recover their corpses and stuff.  I thought VG would sorta recreate their experience for me.  Unfortunately.... the UI was clunky, the preformance was garbage, the character animations WERE FUCKING AWEFUL.  Music seemed ok tho... but christ that's not going to keep me playing and the sound effects were bad.  I think I got a lvl 8 ranger and a lvl 4 desciple or something and managed to get randolph the flying reindeer (lol).  Also the world was completely empty, not a soul for miles.

6) Tabula Rasa - I think I played this game for a single evening.  Maybe two.  There was nothing overtly wrong with it, atmosphere was alright, graphics good, sound and music I don't really remember I think they were ok.  However after a few hours of ... run here, shoot stuff, come back, run there, shoot stuff, come back all I could think was "meh".  Having your map tell you exactly where to go to complete your quest is... well... nice in some ways, but it almost seems to easy.  All I did was run from point to point, hardly even looked around.  As soon as I was given talents (or whatever they call them) I instantly thought, "shit, now I get to gimp my character".  Grew very weary of the sound of my gun firing, over, and over, and over, and over.....

I think that's all the MMO's I've tried.  Hardly got into most of them because WoW has spoiled me so badly.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #431 on: February 06, 2008, 06:55:43 PM

My Gemstone was not on the list, boooo. swamp poop

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
grunk
Terracotta Army

This poster is a gibbering retard. Also, he used to post from a rehab clinic.

Reply #432 on: March 21, 2008, 07:09:04 PM

1.EQ
2.FFXI
3.DaOC
4.Earth and Beyond

rest idk. just picked up Hellgate recently and its a lot of fun.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #433 on: March 22, 2008, 05:54:01 AM

Talk about being late to the party.
grunk
Terracotta Army

This poster is a gibbering retard. Also, he used to post from a rehab clinic.

Reply #434 on: March 22, 2008, 06:58:19 AM

Talk about being late to the party.

Just got released, wtf you want.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: March 22, 2008, 08:31:12 AM

Release from what?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #436 on: March 22, 2008, 09:17:20 AM

Grunk was in an 'institution' don't you remember the epic thread?

Geeez.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #437 on: March 22, 2008, 09:28:16 AM

I don't actually. That must have been the 85 days difference between your and my logged in time :)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #438 on: March 23, 2008, 02:48:36 AM

Oh man, grunk's out of meth rehab and posting in every vaguely MMO related thread on f13.  I detect incoming awesome.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: March 23, 2008, 03:27:39 AM

schild
Administrator

Reply #440 on: March 23, 2008, 08:22:26 AM

It's true. His IP address is in a different state from before. Unless he's using a proxy, which isn't ilkely, he did indeed get either "released" or "transferred."
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #441 on: March 23, 2008, 11:20:13 AM

Just noticed this thread.  Thought I'd add my ten with brief comments.

1)World of Warcraft - How could anyone not call it #1?
2)EverQuest - Did so much for the industry.
3)Vanguard - I worked on it, ok? :)
4)Ultima Online - MMOs start to get big. :)
5)Guild Wars - Ahead of its time.  Impressing streaming / asset management.
6)The Realm - My first (and one of the first) MMOs.
7)Shadow of Yserbius - Well, except I guess this should be considered my first. :)
8)EverQuest 2 - Good, but too many flaws killed it's launch vs WoW.
9)Planetside - MMOFPS
10)City of Heroes/Villains - Can we get more in this genre? :)

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #442 on: March 23, 2008, 01:30:50 PM

It's true. His IP address is in a different state from before. Unless he's using a proxy, which isn't ilkely, he did indeed get either "released" or "transferred."

Or escaped.   ACK!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #443 on: March 24, 2008, 08:34:55 AM

Do you WANT us to hate you or something?

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: March 24, 2008, 08:36:48 AM

Don't be silly. Vanguard has given most people here more entertainment than almost any other mmog ever.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #445 on: March 24, 2008, 08:38:50 AM

> How could anyone not call it #1?
Because the goal is to identify what was number for you not what is number one in the market.

"Me am play gods"
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #446 on: March 24, 2008, 09:26:42 PM

No, just trying to avoid the "OMG how can you rate Vanguard so high" replies. :)  Oh, and eldaec has an amusing point. :)

Quote from: tazelbain
Because the goal is to identify what was number for you not what is number one in the market.

I guess that's fair.  I didn't play much WoW compared to other MMOs, but really respect what it's done in the industry.  I guess if someone's top 10 was solely based on playtime, and they didn't play much WoW, it could reasonably not show up.  Lots of other variations on this. :) 
ozgun92
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: May 09, 2008, 09:53:31 AM

1- Puzzle Pirates
2- NavyField
3- Realms of Rivalry (not necessarily "massive" but still, a stand-alone multiplayer) (if not applicable, skip)
4-Last Chaos
5-Shattered Galaxy
6-Kal Online
jlwilli5
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: May 14, 2008, 04:13:49 PM

Well since its been Risen  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
1)AC
2)EvE
3)DAoC
4)Shadowbane
5)Jumpgate

I like pie...

Target Erukul 

EvE:
      Lukure
      Karsys
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: May 14, 2008, 05:24:24 PM

PILE ON!

Whatch-u-talkin-about willi5?

[Sorry, slow day at work]
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: May 14, 2008, 05:56:50 PM

1 - World of Warcraft
2 - Earth&Beyond - I absolutely loved this Heart
3 - EVE
4 - EQ2
5 - Hello Kitty Online

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #451 on: May 15, 2008, 10:40:16 PM

1. Everquest
2. Dark Age of Camelot
3. Guild Wars
4. Everquest 2
5. World of Warcraft
6. Lineage 2 - Okay...it wasn't *so* bad, but I still say bending over at the waist is annoying and again, ran the radio station so feel somewhat morally obligated to put it in here somewhere.
7. Vanguard - When it was in beta.
8. Dungeons and Dragons Online - I worked at the damn radio station, I feel morally obligated to at least put it in the last three. If I hadn't played that game I probably wouldn't have met some of my bestest friends in the entire world, and had some amazingly fun times on air.
9. Earth and Beyond - Much love for this game whilst it was in it's infancy.
10. Shadowbane - If it weren't for the camera angles and bad polygons I'd still play it.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs  
Jump to: