Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:12:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs  (Read 245536 times)
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: December 15, 2007, 03:14:17 PM

1. WoW
2. AC2
3. COH
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #71 on: December 15, 2007, 04:24:30 PM

What the hell, I play MMOs just as much as you guys.  My rankings are justified totally by time played, and to be fair I'll leave DAOC off the list (even though I played it for 4 years and stuff, despite it being a day job. Oh, and thanks for blaming me for the grind, Jimbo!)

1) Ultima Online. Played for years, Lum the Mad was a dex monkey/poisoner whose specialty was screwing up autocasted UOE recall spells with deadly poisoned newbie daggers. STAB STAB STABBITY STAB
2) World of Warcraft. I've played this on and off since it came out (much more since 2005ish when I finally burned out on DAOC after 4 years), and apparently so has the rest of the planet. I keep rerolling on new characters and servers, so the last patch was a godsend.
3) Everquest 1. This is what I played between UO and DAOC. Never got to raiding level with it, but I had fun yelling at guildmates about corpse runs. Totally a social game for me.
4) City of Heroes/Villains. Still play this on and off. CoH I loved for its combat system and CoV added great lore/storytelling on top of it (because come on, who doesn't want to work for a fascist dictatorship run by a big spider-lookin' thing).
5) Guild Wars. Very pretty. I pick up an expansion when it comes out, play through it like a single-player RPG, then stop. What PvP I've done was fun but I never really felt good at it.

And... sadly, that's all I've played to any extent. To explain the missing choices:

Eve - I have had dozens of people *order* me to play Eve. I just can't do it. I know there's all kinds of rich politics and backstabbing and attack ships glittering in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. But it just never grabbed me, ever. I couldn't get past the feeling I was playing a mildly interactive screensaver.
Asheron's Call - never did it for me, to the undying  swamp poop of all the good people I know at Turbine.
Star Wars Galaxies - Played it off and on (mostly off) for years as it was my wife's favorite MMO. I loved Jump to Lightspeed. I liked the 2nd combat revamp. I didn't like the NGE. To put it mildly. My wife liked it less since her class (bioengineer) was literally removed from the game.
Anarchy Online - it launched right before I got hired at Mythic, and was in poor shape. Never went back to give it a better chance.
Everquest 2 - gave it a chance every so often (there was a group of people at Mythic that really enjoyed it and kept encouraging me to jump in) but, well, WoW.
Planetside - I suck at shooters.
WW2 Online - refer to above line.
Tabula Rasa - refer to above line. And yes I know it's less shootery but it makes me *think* it is.
Shadowbane - played it for a month, realized that no, I was not hard core enough, and stopped.
Vanguard - played it in beta, realized that no, I was not hard core enough, and stopped.
Final Fantasy XI - played it a week, realized that I could no longer solo ever, and stopped.
DDO - lack of soloing killed this one for me, too.
Matrix Online - you know, I actually liked this one. I liked the idea of Interlock even if it broke horribly with more than 2 combatants. I liked the story and the lore (sue me) and the feel. Another casualty of lack of time.
Lineage II - I am *so* not hard core enough.
Lord of the Rings Online - Literally have not had time to play it yet. I will pick it up when I finally burn out on WoW, I suspect.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 04:36:05 PM by Lum »
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #72 on: December 15, 2007, 04:59:54 PM

1. Star Wars: Galaxies (pre-CU)
2. EverQuest (Velious era)
3. SubSpace
4. World of WarCraft
5. Tabula Rasa
6. Anarchy Online
7. Planetside

Comments
SWG (pre-CU) - the sandbox that worked for me, where I staked my claim and made a difference, crafting for team PvP, still feels like home even though the gameplay is now totally different and doesn't interest me.
EQ (Velious era) - team PvE as team PvP (racing each other to boss spawns), great fantasy atmosphere, terrific dungeons, best raiding game, flawed and grindy.
SubSpace - the great experiment in early MMO internet code I played from alpha 0.79. Was actually a fucking great game, particularly Powerball and the original flag game.
WoW - near-perfect execution, super slick, ultimately limited by offering nothing new.
TR - best sci-fi MMO so far, best achievement in improving the genre's combat.
AO - best ever plot and atmosphere in a MMO, great moments, poor grindy gameplay.
PS - if only it could retain a player population, it would be great.

I can't list any more. I've played many other MMOGs briefly, but none of them have hooked me enough to keep playing. I probably would have liked UO, but as you can see I'm more about the sci-fi than the fantasy, I never liked the Ultima series, and I was too busy playing SubSpace or travelling overseas for 15 months during UO's glory days.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 05:15:06 PM by Tale »
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: December 15, 2007, 05:23:11 PM

1. SWG
2. WoW
3. Lineage II

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: December 15, 2007, 07:47:44 PM

1) Ultima Online -- I played it a month, got ganked at the crossroads, quit. Came back after Trammel and subbed for 6 years.
2) Second Life -- No really. Something about this game gets under your skin--I really truly love the people I've met here. For all the places you can sexually cannibalize 5 year olds for 500 Lindens that gives it its sordid rep, there's a load of amazing stuff here. Huge amounts of social interaction, a strange social experiment, live music, building tools that support some incredible RP sims. It's horribly flawed demented genius. 2nd longest in active play to UO
3) EQ2 -- Great game. First level based game I hit max level in. First game I raided in. Wonderful balance between goup/solo/non-combat play.
4) AO -- Great RP, intricate background, interesting game systems & after the mission run dancing to the Gridstream at the Reet's Retreat!
5) DAOC -- Week #2, chaos at the Emain milegate with 1/3rd of the server pop there in lagtastic ecstasy. Nothing I've done in games compares to these huge battles. Nothing. The rest of the game may be crap, but I still get shivers thinking about those.
6) Underlight -- Open PVP, permadeath, philosophy, and player regulated advancement that could cover anything from killing a bunch of nightmares to composing poetry. Amazing game with hideous graphics and a 2 digit population.
7) SWG -- I loved Sim-beru, clothed half the hookers dancers on Wanderhome, but the game was too buggy to play.
8) COH -- Best action-combat in any mmo
9) Eve -- Best game I never play. I played just enough to admire it though.
10) Puzzle Pirates -- Thinking outside of the box and some amazing subsystems. The economic system in YPP is a wonder.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #75 on: December 15, 2007, 08:12:05 PM

EQ - Not the first MMO I played, but the one that first got its hooks in me.
SWG - Sucked, a lot. But it's like that hot chick that treated you like shit, you hate her, but she was hot and the sex, though probably degrading in many ways, was amazing.
EQ2 - A slow starter to its older sibling, but once the dev team got their shit together, it really started to shine.
CoX - I can create my own superheroes, how can you beat that?
UO - Got ganked a lot, ganked a lot more. The darkest I've ever been in any MMO.
Tabula Rasa - Solid gameplay (so far) and a story I can really get into.
Planetside - MMOFPS. I still love this game, even if the population can't sustain more than one decent battle anymore.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: December 15, 2007, 08:45:46 PM

1- EVE Online
2- SWG (pre CU)
3- WoW
4- AC1
5- DAoC
6- CoH
7- AO
8- Planetside

- Viin
addryc
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: December 15, 2007, 11:13:48 PM

1> WoW
2> EQ2
3> EQ
4> DAoC
5> SWG
6> EVE Online
7> Planetside
8> CoX
9> AO
10> UO
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: December 15, 2007, 11:35:07 PM

1: Everquest through Velious, My First MMO.
3: DAoC
4: Eve Online 
5: WoW
6: CoH/CoV sadly, the character creation is more fun than the game itself

10: Shadows of Yserbius.  I don't know if it counts as an MMO,per se,  but it's really where I got started down this asinine path.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: December 16, 2007, 07:09:13 AM

I'm both surprised and not suprised by how frequently SWG is getting rated. I mean, we've had 100+ page threads on it so obviously people played it. On the other hand, most of those were 100 pages of "Jesus, this blows. Here's what they should have done".
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: December 16, 2007, 07:14:08 AM

My list includes only those games that I played for more than 3 months.

1) World of Warcraft
2) City of Heroes (and City of Villains)
3) Asheron's Call
4) Toontown
5) ATitD
6) FFXI

(edit: forgot about Toontown)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 07:17:03 AM by Hutch »

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: December 16, 2007, 08:28:38 AM

Are we allowed to mention MUDs?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #82 on: December 16, 2007, 10:18:52 AM

Just updated.

To answer a few questions, no MUD are not allowed. In regards to Second Life, I quote every single word Numtini wrote, I love it for the same reasons and I spend on/in it much more time than basically any MMO. But I don't think it's fair to include it in our chart as it's (to me) something completely different. Much more a tool than a game.

About what Morat said, isn't ironic to have EverQuest so high in the chart when in that other thread it was officially decided that it suck, sucked and utterly sucked since forever?

And what about Planetside's 9th place?

So many interesting things, but the more the votes the better.

On by the way: *NEW RULE*.

To have your list validated you need to list AT LEAST 5 titles. This is not the usual "name your favourite" poll. To work it needs you people give points to more than your dearest one, and I think you all have the knowledge to do that. No one here was ever scared by "not havinf played it" long enough before casting their usefully cynical commentaries. So please, at least 5 names.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: December 16, 2007, 10:55:51 AM

I see no PotBS even though by my count it has 18 points.
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: December 16, 2007, 11:14:03 AM

#1 UO Best mmo ever
#2 EQ1 A lot of fun... but the grind sucked
#3 LOTRO Great game, had lots of fun, but too shallow. Lost interest after a while.
#4 EQ2 If it weren't for Smeadly, I would have never stopped playing this game.
#5 The Shadow of Yserbius - wow, dialup sucked...
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: December 16, 2007, 12:24:29 PM

Just updated.

To answer a few questions, no MUD are not allowed. In regards to Second Life, I quote every single word Numtini wrote, I love it for the same reasons and I spend on/in it much more time than basically any MMO. But I don't think it's fair to include it in our chart as it's (to me) something completely different. Much more a tool than a game.

About what Morat said, isn't ironic to have EverQuest so high in the chart when in that other thread it was officially decided that it suck, sucked and utterly sucked since forever?

And what about Planetside's 9th place?

So many interesting things, but the more the votes the better.

On by the way: *NEW RULE*.

To have your list validated you need to list AT LEAST 5 titles. This is not the usual "name your favourite" poll. To work it needs you people give points to more than your dearest one, and I think you all have the knowledge to do that. No one here was ever scared by "not havinf played it" long enough before casting their usefully cynical commentaries. So please, at least 5 names.

The problem with your list is that you were asking for people to list 10.  So people are listing games that they have just played the beta, trial, or the free month then quit.  I've played at least 10 mmo's but most of them weren't worth mentioning because I just had no fun in them.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: December 16, 2007, 12:28:23 PM

I see no PotBS even though by my count it has 18 points.

It's because anyone who named it can't follow instructions.

And regardless of instructions; anyone who puts a game that doesn't exist yet in their top 10 clearly has an opinion as valueless as the gaming 'press'.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #87 on: December 16, 2007, 12:30:28 PM

Not especially. Just because schild and some guy who never played EQ have had a circle-jerk about how shitty they think the game is, was, and ever shall be doesn't mean a lot of the rest of us didn't play it and mostly-enjoy it for a long time. schild doesn't speak for the board as a whole, he just speaks loudly.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 16, 2007, 12:47:12 PM

Schild never played Everquest. He played whats left of everquest after about a dozen poorly designed expansions were stuck onto it. If he had plaid during the Ruins of Kunark or Vellious era's... he would probably have liked it. Also... eveyone in that game is capped out now. It's not fun to play an MMO that has a level system like EQs and start a new character. There's no one else to hang with!!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: December 16, 2007, 12:48:23 PM

Oh Azazel, I know. But it wasn't just Schild there telling me I was wrong about EQ.

And Modern Angel, rules in the opening post say:

5) Titles not yet released are not allowed in the list (No PotBS, no Warhammer, etc.)

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: December 16, 2007, 12:52:04 PM

Schild never played Everquest. He played whats left of everquest after about a dozen poorly designed expansions were stuck onto it. If he had plaid during the Ruins of Kunark or Vellious era's... he would probably have liked it.

Schild said he played since beta, so it's not about that. Anyway I was just pointing out that as much as everyone is entitled to hate it, that thread seemed to hint at everyone NOW thinking it sucked, even in its glory days. And the fact that even who played it extensively and loved it was posting that yes it sucked made me shiver.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: December 16, 2007, 12:57:28 PM

EQ1 only got more approachable after the Vision left the building. Before that everything was measured from minor cockblock to horrific-who-can-put-up-with-those-noise?! cockblock.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: December 16, 2007, 02:01:49 PM

I played EQ and hated it so   Raspberry

And PotBS should get points. Because I said so.
schild
Administrator

Reply #93 on: December 16, 2007, 02:06:01 PM

This list speaks purely to nostalgia in most cases though.

The community aspects of MMORPGs change how you view MMORPGs in the future.

For example, if I put together a list, I'd probably have Star Wars Galaxies at the top because I loved running that guild. Even though the game, at times, seemed like it needed more work than the pyramids did.

If you wanted a real top 10 MMOG list, everyone would base their entire list off /played. I think. Some people are just sick sick sick and play the crap out of games they truly hate.

Edit: Still, interesting lists.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: December 16, 2007, 02:27:05 PM

Actually, I said "SWG". :)
schild
Administrator

Reply #95 on: December 16, 2007, 03:25:44 PM

To be fair, Everquest did completely suck.

But for many types of people it was the first and only choice.

I liked The Realm better than Everquest.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #96 on: December 16, 2007, 03:31:20 PM

Why is everyone making a big deal out of EQ1 being #6?  Its still under DAOC (broken classes, pop imbalance, TOE, boring world, /stick, buffbots) CoX (which stops being fun once you've finished making your character) and EVE (which everyone admits is a glorified screen saver + player generated content), UO (I wonder if you divided it into pre and post Trammal if UO would be anywhere near that high) & its barely beating out SWG which we should all know was a pile of shit even pre-CU, broken classes, broken HAM, buff lines etc.

Sixth place when many people are listing 5 or less picks really doesn't count for much, nor disprove the idea that EQ1 was a bad game.

This thread stands as a reminder of how fucking BAD mmo's have been so far if you ask me.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #97 on: December 16, 2007, 08:01:39 PM

To be fair, Everquest did completely suck.

No it didn't! So there.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #98 on: December 16, 2007, 08:07:00 PM

1 - CoX
2 - Gemstone 3/4
3 - WoW
4 - Planetside
5 - EQ 2
6 - Eve Online
7 - DAoC
8 - Guild Wars
9 - Earth and Beyond
10 - EQ

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #99 on: December 16, 2007, 08:53:54 PM

1. MajorMud
2. TeleArena
3. Star Wars Galaxies
4. Mythos - so close. so close.
5. Guild Wars - almost close. almost close.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #100 on: December 16, 2007, 10:03:50 PM

1. EVE Online
2. LotRO
3. EQ2
4. WoW
5. Horizons (pre-CU)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:08:56 PM by Yegolev »

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #101 on: December 16, 2007, 10:43:33 PM

Fine.

1)  UO.  Because I love it irrationally and fuck you if you don't like it.   awesome, for real

2)  WoW.  Because it was the first MMO to play like it was built by professionals.

3)  Eve.  Because it's the first "meaningful PVP" game that actually worked out.  Plus just reading about it is more fun than some MMOGs I've tried to play.

4)  EQ1.  Because for better or (more likely) worse, it shaped the way of almost everything to come.

5)  AC1.  Because I need a fifth game, and I actually played this one.  For like a week.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: December 17, 2007, 06:21:11 AM

1) Asheron's Call 1
2) Horizons
3) World of Warcraft
4) Dark Age of Camelot
5) World War II Online
6) City of Heroes
7) Asheron's Call 2
8) Planetside
9) Star Wars Galaxies
10) Anarchy Online

Hoizons:
Had a true 3d world, but they forgot dungeons and to populate it with many mobs.
Best in-game annotatable map I've ever seen. Saved on own HD in readable format so could clean it up also.  Wish other games would steal this feature.  Explorers dream feature.
You ran faster on roads.
Played a dragon to adult status where one could fly.
Also could level dragon mostly by questing.
Could level crafting on same character without sacrificing combat skills.
I only played it for 3 months because I 'finished' it.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: December 17, 2007, 06:49:29 AM

My List of Graphical MMO's:

1. WOW
2. LOTRO
3. EVE
4. COX
5. Shadows of Yserbius

I really think I should be able to enter MUDs.  I've played many more hours and years in MUDs than current MMOs.  My first "3D MMO" was EQ back in '99 and it was awful.  I quit after a few months and didn't pick up another graphical MMO until WOW in 2004 or 2005.  I've been playing MUDs and other DOOR games since '91/'92.

So here's my real list of online RPG games:

1. Tele-Arena 3.0 (Anyone ever play and remember the reroll cheat or the hunter trail spam power level trick?)
2. World of Warcraft
3. MajorMUD
4. TradeWars
5. SojournMUD (And all of it's offshoots, Duris and Toril.)
6. MidPointVoid (Or any other derivation of Owen Emlen's code base LOC,MPV2 etc)
7. LOTRO
8. EVE
9. COX
10.Shadows of Yserbius
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 06:51:17 AM by Draegan »
schild
Administrator

Reply #104 on: December 17, 2007, 06:55:40 AM

Hey, someone else listed TA & MajorMud. Worldgroup MBBS ftw.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs  
Jump to: