Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:29:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: G4 Says every MMO except WoW is a failure... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: G4 Says every MMO except WoW is a failure...  (Read 43703 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: November 29, 2007, 11:30:54 AM

1) Every North American MMO Since World of Warcraft: It was only a few years ago when the entire game industry seemed geared toward everything massively multiplayer. A quick look at 2004 and 2005's E3 rundown reveals dozens of MMOs either in development or planned. WoW killed or crippled all of them. The reasons are many, but a huge contributing factor is simply how good World of Warcraft is as a game. WoW perfectly balances fun and challenge, and keeps its players involved no matter where on the hardcore-to-casual spectrum they happen to fall. Its painless beginning quests and easy early-level progression are fun for more casual gamers, while end-game, 40-man raids and endless grinds appeal to the hardcore community. In contrast to WoW, consider The Sims Online and Star Wars: Galaxies, two games that veered wildly in opposite directions but failed the same way: Epically.

Source

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 11:46:57 AM

Their premise is close, but their references are way-wrong and stupid. TSO and SWG? Really? These games not only preceded WoW by years, they launched when "success" in the genre was measured at a very different level. SWG did not hit the market potential some believed it would, but getting into the 200k range was not a failure at the time when only, what, two MMOs exceded that? EQ1 was king and people were still arguing about the relevance of the L1 numbers. FFXI also exceeded that, but were still arguing how much of that playerbase was in North America.

Also, they're saying the only successful model for games is DIKU. That's fine, except they ignore just how many DIKUs preceded WoW. Dozens, really. Had this been a statement about what type of MMO works in this genre, fine, compare it to the leading examples  other types of games (UO/SWG for sandbox, PS for MMOFPS, idunnowhat for MMORTS).

If you're going to make a tried-and-failed statement, at least draw the right relevances.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 11:58:17 AM

Blizzard tapped into the one MMO idea that's fleshed out and could be really executed well (the Diku/EQ model), polished it like a motherfucker, and provided a better license/game world than others have. Doesn't make it a good game to me though. Just a good version of a shitty game.
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 12:11:48 PM

It'd make more sense to say "every MMO except WoW is a failure" if the goal behind WoW was not to merely distill the experience available in every MMO.  For me, WoW is just another EQ-clone.  It's a good EQ-clone but, when you're as sick of them as I am, WoW does not impress.

So, basically, this is the third reply saying essentially the same thing. :P
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 12:12:51 PM

It's G4. Epic fail seems to describe them so well.

drmccollum
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 12:45:50 PM

Sounds like the folks over at G4 should actually try playing at least one MMO before making a comparison.
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 01:31:34 PM

I see their point.

How many Sims games are there? Star Wars games? Warcraft games? All of those IPs are successes in the single-player/occasional multiplayer genre, but MMOs have the potential to transcend single-player gaming. TSO or SWG could perhaps be considered successes if compared to a single one of their single-player brethren, but they are utter failures when it comes to realizing MMOs' potential. Only Blizzard has made any headway there and that's why they are the MMO success until someone comes along and blows them out of the water.
BigBlack
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 01:32:26 PM

Yes, World of Warcraft has made Puzzle Pirates such a failure.

Wait, what?

Also, to person above me: WoW made headway at realizing the potential of MMOs... how, exactly?  Financial potential, sure.  Other than that, come again?
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 01:42:35 PM

Yes, World of Warcraft has made Puzzle Pirates such a failure.

Wait, what?

Also, to person above me: WoW made headway at realizing the potential of MMOs... how, exactly?  Financial potential, sure.  Other than that, come again?

I agree. That previous statement is utterly ridiculous. WoW doesnt do anything new that EQ, AO, or UO didnt do. All WoW does is make it much more user-friendly.
If mass appeal = potential for MMOs then sure. They win.  But they dont have reactive worlds that change based on player's actions. Not even close.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 01:45:03 PM

It all depends on your parameters of failure.  How many MMOs have been delayed because of the bar Blizzard has set in terms of quality?  That says something.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 01:45:57 PM

The AC2 of cable channels has no business judging others.

"Me am play gods"
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 01:46:09 PM

To this day, I wonder how much of WoW's millions are because it's such a well-streamlined EverQuest.  The Blizzard and Warcraft brand names might have dragged in far more players to even try the game than most MMORPGs would have even had a chance with.  Don't get me wrong, if the game sucked, it wouldn't have kept those players as well as it did.
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 02:11:29 PM

G4 are the biggest pack of idiots there are. I still watch, but thats just for Olivia Munn   Thumbs up!

As far as Wow being the only success? Uh, no... That's like saying every band since the Beatles has been a failure. The first rock band that came along that wrote good songs and didn't kill themselves with amphetamines was destined to be "The Beatles"

Same with MMO's... The first one that came along that could actually keep the servers up, that wasn't run by the online games version of the Anti-Chist (SOE) and had a brand name to attract people was destined to be as successful as World of Warcraft. EQ2 would have KILLED WoW if it wasn't for SOE's Bungling. Same goes for SWG. 
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 02:16:57 PM

EQ2 and SWG were woefully ugly and badly implemented, respectively. Technical flaws. The gaming populace as a whole doesn't care who SOE is.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 02:18:04 PM

Same with MMO's... The first one that came along that could actually keep the servers up, that wasn't run by the online games version of the Anti-Chist (SOE) and had a brand name to attract people was destined to be as successful as World of Warcraft. EQ2 would have KILLED WoW if it wasn't for SOE's Bungling. Same goes for SWG. 

I doubt it. EQ2 might have expected EQ numbers, maybe a bit more, but nothing like WoW. They just didn't have the fanbase or potential to draw in those kinds of customers.

SWG... hard to tell. Let's say SWG was magically "better" and "fun" and all that shit... I'd say possible. I have doubts about how many Star Wars fans would translate over to MMORPG fans.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 02:18:15 PM

awesome, for real on this whole thread.

Now THAT is some god damned wishful thinking with a whole helping of "If they.." on the side.

Both games could have been as stable as WoW and still wouldn't have achieved their numbers. Not with the as-launched designs of both games.  EQ2 is a good game today after changing a LOT of shit.  SWG never was complete before they started ripping shit out and changing it, but it STILL wasn't sensible from a few very important design standpoints.*

* Important to most of the folks here? Probably not, but important to the rest of the gaming population who aren't trying to relive some UO experience.   And even more so to the SW fans whose venn diagram doesn't intersect with 'I know who Raph Koster is."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 02:26:47 PM

Saying that WoW is the Beatles of MMOs is saying that MMOs have almost peaked. Rock bands may have peaked when MTV stopped playing music videos, but MMOs? Not yet, not by a long shot.
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 02:31:09 PM

You're both making the point that SOE screwed up, and that was my point as well. There is absolutely no reason they couldn't have hit Wows numbers... specially with SWG. The brand name alone should have sold more than WOW. But the game wasnt done when they released it. And you couldn't fly spaceships at launch? OMGWTF? In a starwars game you couldn't fly a ship?

EQ2 was, without a doubt, a superior game than Wow. The graphics, the mechanics, the mob AI.  But the rules set at release was ridiculous. There was no reason for half the annoying bullshit they put a new player through. Shard recovery for one. Then, on top of that, the servers crashed for a full week about 2 months after launch. A FULL week! The froglok incident, the Exchange servers, the nickel and diming via expansion packs and eq2players, they alienated just about every hardcore player they had. All of whom went to WOW. MMPOGS build audiences through word of mouth more than any other media does. You go where your guild goes. Those guys at work that are always playing that game? You might check it out... All the word of mouth about EQ2 was bad. Very bad. For at least a year after release. EQ2 could have been as big as Wow, but was ruined by SOE. They have turned it around... far too late though.

Whens Steam going to make an MMO? ;-)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 02:48:43 PM

You're both making the point that SOE screwed up, and that was my point as well. There is absolutely no reason they couldn't have hit Wows numbers... specially with SWG. The brand name alone should have sold more than WOW. But the game wasnt done when they released it. And you couldn't fly spaceships at launch? OMGWTF? In a starwars game you couldn't fly a ship?

That was less SOE's fault than it was Raph's.  It was announced long before launch (I want to say almost a year and a half before, in fact) that there would be no space flight.  But we'd have swordsmen, pikemen and martial artists to go with our crafters.

WTF?

Yeah, see, wrong guy for that game.

EQ2 was, without a doubt, a superior game than Wow. The graphics, the mechanics, the mob AI.  But the rules set at release was ridiculous. There was no reason for half the annoying bullshit they put a new player through. Shard recovery for one. Then, on top of that, the servers crashed for a full week about 2 months after launch. A FULL week! The froglok incident, the Exchange servers, the nickel and diming via expansion packs and eq2players, they alienated just about every hardcore player they had. All of whom went to WOW. MMPOGS build audiences through word of mouth more than any other media does. You go where your guild goes. Those guys at work that are always playing that game? You might check it out... All the word of mouth about EQ2 was bad. Very bad. For at least a year after release. EQ2 could have been as big as Wow, but was ruined by SOE. They have turned it around... far too late though.

If the mechanics were so superior, why'd they change them? Oh right, because they sucked. SOE didn't fuck-up EQ2's design, the design team did.  It was panned because it was horrible AND it ran like shit, not just because it ran like shit.

Again, "if" "shoulda" "coulda" and "woulda" don't matter.  Only was was.  What was sucked, and would have sucked with SOE, Turbine, or even Blizzard using the design documents that were followed.  The games were failures at a design level AND an execution level.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 02:57:14 PM

rolleyes

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 03:00:47 PM

That was less SOE's fault than it was Raph's.  It was announced long before launch (I want to say almost a year and a half before, in fact) that there would be no space flight.  But we'd have swordsmen, pikemen and martial artists to go with our crafters.

WTF?

Yeah, see, wrong guy for that game.

The SOE Austin team ADDED space to SWG. The original SWO didn't have any planned at all. :P

BTW, you try facing SW fans and telling them they can't have their Teras Kasi.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 03:03:19 PM

I suppose I should answer with a non-kneejerk SWG reaction. :)

Yeah, this G4 analysis is dumb.

Insert historical data and the time order of releases.

Insert random comments about web-based MMO audiences here.

Insert controversial comments about how much WoW leveraged extant branding and audience.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 04:14:46 PM

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying EQ2 never had a shot at WoW's numbers, and SWG might have, but I doubt it.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 04:19:57 PM by Ratman_tf »

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 04:20:02 PM

BTW, you try facing SW fans and telling them they can't have their Teras Kasi.

*Ahem*

"Teras Kasi is a bullshit, non-canonical device introduced in a glorified-fanfic novel by a hack author who fancies himself Bruce Lee. It might see the light of day in a future expansion pack, if I feel like it. Now get the fuck off my lawn before I call the cops, I got spaceships to design."

How's that?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 04:22:10 PM by Montague »

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 29, 2007, 04:23:11 PM

I wholeheartedly agree that Olivia Munn is the only thing that gets me to watch G4. That and that spunky Kevin P. Morgan Webb can kiss my ass. She's gotten to the point where she believes her own hype. Patrick and Leo at least had some soul back when it was TechTV.

I'll say it again. WoW wasnt anything spectacular...it was a cleaned up, user-friendly EQ with a bit more focus on casual gaming.
But that doesnt make it the Beatles of MMOs.  MMOs will get a lot better in the next 5-10 years. They'll become more responsive, more story-oriented or they'll go the way of the dodo.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #25 on: November 29, 2007, 04:32:38 PM

They also need to start leveraging broadband more and stop designing with dialup in mind.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Tige
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 29, 2007, 05:05:47 PM

The only constant difference I've ever seen between successful and unsuccessful games, whether mmo or single player, is successful games work at release and unsuccessful games don't. 
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 29, 2007, 05:10:42 PM

What the the hell is a Teras Kasi? Seriously. I'd never even heard of that shit.

Star Wars is about lightsabers, blasters and spaceships. SWG shipped with one out of three of those. It's that simple. Anything else is over-analysis.

LOTRO without Orcs and Hobbits would be an epic failure. Star Trek without phasers, again epic fail. Star Wars without Jedis and spaceships is like a birthday cake without flour and sugar.

The fact that people prioritized Teras Kasi over fucking LIGHTSABERS pretty much says it all. It's like the people who made SWG had no idea what "Star Wars" actually was. Fans might complain about no Teras Kasi but I'm pretty sure they'd complain a lot more about no spaceships and lightsabers.

The initial design was crap for the license. Not crap, but crap for the license. Square peg round hole. At the fundamental level not only is it not Star Wars but it's making a sim game for an action-adventure pulp license.

Edit: I'm reminded of the Penny Arcade comic about D&D. We have dungeons, what about the dragons? Oops, well we got half!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 06:38:44 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 29, 2007, 06:18:57 PM

Agreed. I mean all you really had to do was put some rpg behind starwars battlefront + a graphically updated Tie Fighter.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #29 on: November 29, 2007, 07:15:54 PM

At the risk of derailing farther.. I'm a huge SW fan.  Legos, posters, lightsabers adorn my house and I play "dark side" with my son (his name for Vader) more than we play catch.  I watch the new  movies and enjoy them despite the hate most others have for them.  Han fucking shot first.

Teras Kasi was bullshit introduced in a bland novel and exploited in a "hey fighters are popular" playstation game by Lucasarts.  That's it.  ANYONE who was saying "it needs this generic martial art, not space and action-based combat!" was not the fan you were looking for.   Hell, I even actually enjoyed Rebellion and Force Commander, and if you don't know what that means you're the last person who needs to decide what does or does not go into a Star Wars game.  Sorry.

geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 29, 2007, 07:22:56 PM

Teras-Kasi masters were not the problem.  Star Wars Galaxies being a virtual world game was the problem.  People wanted action-adventure, they were given sim-Auntie Beru.  Canon or no, martial artists and their action-adventure undertones were a step in the right direction.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 29, 2007, 07:30:06 PM

X-Wing did not have lightsabers, and I think it was a perfectly awesome Star Wars game.

I will tell you (because I am right and everyone else is wrong) the elements of Star Wars that were missing from Star Wars Galaxies:

The Galactic Civil War. On ship, this game needed a way for players to participate on either side, with goals and whatnot. What shipped was anemic and unsatisfying. Putting the PvP mostly in Gankzor hands.

Adventure. Missions were a way to grind xp and money. There should have been much more static quests with speeder chases and bounty hunters and suchlike.

The crafting and hairdressing were fine. The lack of space was regretable, but not necessary. The lacking thing was that there was no epic space opera feel to the game. If they could somehow have captured the essence of "rescuing the princess from the Death Star", SWG would have had a much different fate.

DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 29, 2007, 07:36:50 PM

With such a large subject matter, this game is RIPE for objective-based PvP that equates to a tug-of-war over who's winning control of the universe.
I knew that SW was being raped with the invention of tonfa lightsabers. That's just an insane reach.
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 29, 2007, 07:51:52 PM

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 29, 2007, 08:01:40 PM

I didn't do it...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: G4 Says every MMO except WoW is a failure...  
Jump to: