Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:29:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Failgate London or “Why You Don't Outsource Important Services.” 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Failgate London or “Why You Don't Outsource Important Services.”  (Read 179306 times)
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: December 18, 2007, 06:30:13 AM

But I'd expect a website that imagines itself as offering objective, factual analysis to do a better job of pointing out the shortcomings in a game and its attendant online service.

I don't think anyone here has ever offered objective analysis and the only time anything we do is factual is purely due to statistical anomaly.  Pretty much the whole point of the site is subjective commentary.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #211 on: December 18, 2007, 09:50:49 AM

Our Ivory Tower is made of shit bricks melded together with tears..

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #212 on: December 18, 2007, 10:25:22 AM

4. Demanding a refund on a lifetime subscription is idiotic.

He got the refund. Who's the idiot? Everyone who didn't, that's who.

I have never played WoW.
schild
Administrator

Reply #213 on: December 18, 2007, 10:37:51 AM

I think the only time we ever claimed to be objective is in an interview. And even then, out of however many, only 2 or 3 times were we even remotely objective.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #214 on: December 18, 2007, 10:42:24 AM

Does the site still say "We distort, we decide" somewhere on it?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #215 on: December 18, 2007, 10:49:48 AM

I think newcomers tend to confuse "not slurping copious amounts of advertiser dick" with "objective".

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: December 18, 2007, 11:09:41 AM

Yeah, but he was stupid clever enough to fork over 150 bucks for nothing in the first place. And then had to become a weepy bitch outraged consumer to get that refund.

Who wins? Bored people at work following these threads.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
schild
Administrator

Reply #217 on: December 18, 2007, 11:11:58 AM

Actually, I win.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: December 18, 2007, 12:51:49 PM

Actually, I win.

But we could break all your limbs and you'd say the same thing.  When it comes to hardnosed denial of reality, you're up there with the Geldon.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #219 on: December 18, 2007, 12:53:18 PM

But we could break all your limbs and you'd say the same thing.
Not without collision detection, you won't!
schild
Administrator

Reply #220 on: December 18, 2007, 12:53:43 PM

But we could break all your limbs and you'd say the same thing.  When it comes to hardnosed denial of reality, you're up there with the Geldon.

Ok, smartass, how did I lose?
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #221 on: December 18, 2007, 02:00:39 PM

/'80s computer voice on

The only way to win is not to play [Hellgate: London].

/'80s computer voice off

I have never played WoW.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #222 on: December 18, 2007, 02:51:14 PM

/'80s computer voice on

The only way to win is not to play [Hellgate: London].

/'80s computer voice off

Winner.  /thread

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #223 on: December 18, 2007, 04:47:19 PM

I really feel bad, also I blame Schild.  I talked the game up, in a very reserved way, and one bought it.  He started playing before I did, he likes it, I'm completely over the fucking mess of a game.  Now he wants me to play with him...

Fucking Schild's fault amirite?

The thing is, in this modern world where there are many online games to pick between, a launch that puts a bad taste in my mouth will end it for a game.  I can't even look at HG:L anymore, it looks fugly, it feels stupid, I hate the backrounds and I can't stand the worthless stupid skill trees.  I know it could have been fun but once your not having fun I never desire to go back.  EVE & WoW are the only games I've ever re-subbed to, WoW was due to pressure from so many people I knew playing it.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: December 19, 2007, 12:07:02 AM

I hate to say it, but people shouldn't be rewarded for making stupid decisions like lifetime subscriptions.

Personally I am happy for you schild, but justicewise this is just plain wrong.
TianZi
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: December 19, 2007, 01:41:56 AM

The fact he received a refund makes him no less of an idiot, the same sort of idiot that intentionally pours a cup of hot coffee purchased at McDonald's onto his crotch, threatens to sue McD's via a demand letter accompanied by graphic photos of the 3rd degree burns on his genitals, and then receives cash from McDonald's in a settlement of his claim. 

That's your boy Schild.  Just ask him to show you his badly-scarred genitals.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 01:46:08 AM by TianZi »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: December 19, 2007, 03:05:29 AM

By merely rationalising your original fuckstick decision.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: December 19, 2007, 06:54:53 AM

Is that sand in your cunt or do you have an actual purpose for posting here?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: December 19, 2007, 06:55:21 AM

By merely rationalising your original fuckstick decision.

Schild Is Legend.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #229 on: December 19, 2007, 08:31:18 AM

He's a Heavy Hitter, here to Verbally Own Schild.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: December 19, 2007, 09:38:20 AM

He's a Heavy Hitter, here to Verbally Own Schild.

GM Jovi or CSR Marcus ?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #231 on: December 19, 2007, 09:58:28 AM

The spelling is too good.

schild
Administrator

Reply #232 on: December 19, 2007, 10:00:54 AM

I replaced my scarred genitals with 150 $1 bills.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #233 on: December 19, 2007, 10:53:08 AM

This thread is all buggered up now.  I knew it was a bad idea to have a front page.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #234 on: December 19, 2007, 11:18:30 AM

The coffee analogy would make more sense if he went in expecting to enjoy a nice, hot cup of coffee and found that that it was scalding hot coca-cola instead.  And THEN he poured it all over his naughty bits.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: December 19, 2007, 11:30:41 AM

3.  It isn't the case that patch after patch went by with no mention of fixing memory leaks.  Several patches included memory leak fixes (or at least attempted fixes), as detailed in the patch notes.  Most recently (I believe in the 0.6 patch), the developers claim to have have fixed a serious memory leak resulting from examing items in your inventory.
Spoiler:
schilds rant

Quote from: Hellgate Offical forums
Patch 0.6 Notes
December 04, 2007

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: December 19, 2007, 12:02:47 PM

I replaced my scarred genitals with Folger's Crystals. Let's see if tasters can tell the difference.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: December 19, 2007, 08:16:23 PM

I replaced my scarred genitals with Folger's Crystals. Let's see if subscribers can tell the difference.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #238 on: December 19, 2007, 08:28:55 PM

We've replaced your subscription with scarred genitals. Let's see if Folger's Crystals can tell the difference.

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: December 19, 2007, 08:32:38 PM

We've replaced your Folger's Crystals with scarred genitalia. Let's put it on the menu and charge taste testers $150.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: December 20, 2007, 07:27:24 AM

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: December 20, 2007, 08:27:31 AM

I have spilled my glass of scalding hot coffee on my genitalia. Now I must get a wad of fifteen $10 notes and clean it up

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #242 on: December 21, 2007, 11:53:27 AM

schild
Administrator

Reply #243 on: December 21, 2007, 11:57:59 AM

We've replaced your subscription with scarred genitals. Let's see if Folger's Crystals can tell the difference.

Winner.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #244 on: March 07, 2008, 02:23:49 PM

I don't get how Schild is supposed to be an idiot, here. The $150 gave open-ended access to a product that he could review for this here games website and all of that.

The only way I see a lose condition is if the initial buy-in for experiencing the game is not worth it. Since that cost has been effectively reduced to $0, he got time to access the full game at no cost. That no dollars and no cents translated into info commodity for F13.

It would be different without the whole "I own and operate a site where I review games and trade in game-related news" element. With that present, it's neither imprudent nor impulsive to buy-in for a full game experience. It's like calling a newspaper editor an idiot for buying into promising associated newsfeeds when one of those turns into a dud.

Just saying, y'know.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Failgate London or “Why You Don't Outsource Important Services.”  
Jump to: