Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:51:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Failgate London or “Why You Don't Outsource Important Services.” 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Failgate London or “Why You Don't Outsource Important Services.”  (Read 179339 times)
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: November 27, 2007, 03:52:24 PM

This thread needs more charts.  swamp poop

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #176 on: November 27, 2007, 11:14:35 PM

Page one, short of a few misplaced  awesome, for real's it's hard to beat that shit.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: November 28, 2007, 04:08:39 AM

Sexy. I completely forgot about that part. Well played, sir.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #178 on: November 28, 2007, 12:48:02 PM

Page six needs a Dark Lord Cheney.

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: November 28, 2007, 03:31:32 PM

This thread should definitely devolve into a terrible Cheney thread, much like the other SWG thread has its Vaders.

Heh heh.

Happyclam
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: November 29, 2007, 08:57:16 AM

This is the reality of the situation guys. As a software company, they are allowed to release the software in such a state that it is not playable, but as long as they can show they are working to fix it in a timely manner, then they do not have to refund your money or anything else.

Now, to the legalese of the EULA and such. It's bullshit. Pure and simple. Most of what they put into the EULA won't stand up in court. It's simply there as a worst case scenario and because their own lawyers said that it covered their asses in all eventualities. But the fact of the matter is, and has been proven several times, is that you can't sign away your rights totally, as they are trying to imply. There is always recourse through the justice system, if you have the time and the money to argue the point.

The problem at this point, is that they can say they're working to resolve the issues that plague the game, and I actually believe them. They are trying to fix the bugs. Except they're doing so at the cost of the subscriber. A timely manner is waiting until December when the promised 'big' patch is coming out, and if they don't have the subscriber features in place, then nail them with a class action 'breach of contract' for not providing the services they promised to the paying subscribers in a timely manner, because 2 months after release, they better show some sort of progress for subscribers rather than just trying to throw a shiny little bone. HGL, while an average game as far as these games go, is simply going to be the game that sunk FSS and put Bill Roper's name on the same level as John Romero.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 12:58:31 PM by Happyclam »
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: November 29, 2007, 09:16:07 AM

... HGL, while an average game as far as these games go, is simply going to be the game that sunk FLS and put Bill Roper's name on the same level as John Romero.

Hello, welcome to the board.

John's latest projects:

http://www.slipg8.com/

http://www.escalationstudios.com/index.php/projects/

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: November 29, 2007, 12:49:58 PM

As cool as it might be to work in the industry, I get the feeling that working under John Romero would kill it.   ACK!
Happyclam
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: November 29, 2007, 12:56:05 PM

This is the reality of the situation guys. As a software company, they are allowed to release the software in such a state that it is not playable, but as long as they can show they are working to fix it in a timely manner, then they do not have to refund your money or anything else.

Now, to the legalese of the EULA and such. It's bullshit. Pure and simple. Most of what they put into the EULA won't stand up in court. It's simply there as a worst case scenario and because their own lawyers said that it covered their asses in all eventualities. But the fact of the matter is, and has been proven several times, is that you can't sign away your rights totally, as they are trying to imply. There is always recourse through the justice system, if you have the time and the money to argue the point.

The problem at this point, is that they can say they're working to resolve the issues that plague the game, and I actually believe them. They are trying to fix the bugs. Except they're doing so at the cost of the subscriber. A timely manner is waiting until December when the promised 'big' patch is coming out, and if they don't have the subscriber features in place, then nail them with a class action 'breach of contract' for not providing the services they promised to the paying subscribers in a timely manner, because 2 months after release, they better show some sort of progress for subscribers rather than just trying to throw a shiny little bone. HGL, while an average game as far as these games go, is simply going to be the game that sunk FSS and put Bill Roper's name on the same level as John Romero.

I'm an idiot. I was trying to correct the studio name and hit quote rather than modify.

But in response to his latest projects, he was working on porting games to the mobile platform for a while, letting all the hullaballo about the debacle that was Daikatana die down, probably hoping people would forget and now he has a whole new generation to screw over with his huge ego.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 01:01:38 PM by Happyclam »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #184 on: November 29, 2007, 01:07:53 PM

In my sordid past, I have been screwed by big egos.  Usually I was able to sneak away unnoticed. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #185 on: November 30, 2007, 12:40:44 AM

Hi Eric,

Your subscription has been canceled and a refund of $149.99 has been issued to your credit card.

Sorry for the delay in responding to your request.

Marti

I don't see any grammatical errors.

Edited for subtlety.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 01:09:45 AM by schild »
schild
Administrator

Reply #186 on: November 30, 2007, 12:48:39 AM

4 things:

1. I didn't expect the refund really, and frankly am shocked by it.
2. I'm serious, the first thing I noticed in that email was the lack of grammatical errors.
3. Samwise had to point out to me that I got the whole $150 and not $140 like I'd asked for.
4. I still have the option for a lifetime account if they get their shit together, they let me keep the founders status.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 01:09:59 AM by schild »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: November 30, 2007, 01:29:05 AM

Holy shit they gave you a refund! That's pretty awesome really. Well, not really I guess, but pretty awesome by comparison anyway, certainly well above expectations.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: November 30, 2007, 01:41:07 AM

Wow, congratulations.

geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: November 30, 2007, 01:43:13 AM

I'm surprised too.  What's the point of tricking people into buying lifetime subscriptions if you just give them back?  We might have to start regarding them as a legitimate business.   ACK!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: November 30, 2007, 02:35:01 AM

It all worked out beautifully.

swamp poop

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #191 on: November 30, 2007, 02:52:09 AM

It all worked out beautifully.

swamp poop

Almost. Now the gates are open, and I want my 9.99 back.
Can I copypaste your mails, Schild?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #192 on: November 30, 2007, 06:16:23 AM

I WANT SOME FREE MONEY TOO!!!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: November 30, 2007, 07:27:56 AM

I WANT SOME FREE MONEY TOO!!!

Please let me know if you are able to obtain a refund on the game.  After all, beta testers were able to play for free until recently, why shouldn't everyone have been able to play for free without buying a box from a store?

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: November 30, 2007, 07:59:10 AM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: November 30, 2007, 08:16:13 AM

Which one is schild? Don't tell me Mr. T. DON'T TELL ME MR. T!

awesome, for real

Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: November 30, 2007, 04:47:08 PM

Clearly not. Schild would never hack a mohawk into WoW.
schild
Administrator

Reply #197 on: November 30, 2007, 04:48:20 PM

I have a level 70 pal in WoW.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #198 on: December 01, 2007, 01:56:03 AM

awesome, for real

The old one, obviously.  Because he's a smoker.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #199 on: December 01, 2007, 04:14:41 PM

awesome, for real

Since schild paid a lifetime subscription for a game based on "potential" but decided to brave CS for a refund just a month after launch, I'd have to go for ... Murdock.  awesome, for real

TianZi
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: December 17, 2007, 09:45:57 PM

Failgate London or “Why You Don't Outsource Important Services.”

You've probably noticed that up until today, I was a pretty big supporter of Hellgate: London. In fact, I defended them even under the most blundering decisions. Design, QA, launch procedure, billing woes, etc. It didn't really matter, I simply assumed that due to the experience at Flagship that they would work through all of this. But there was one issue I consistently complained about: The Memory Leak. Normally, with any game – particularly an online one, this is the most important thing to get fixed. See, for people to talk about the game, enjoy the game, and most importantly, recommend the game to others they need to be able to play it. For a little more than a week, I haven't been able to play the game.

» Read More

This post is just more of the same from the drama queens at f13.net, with the added fun of lies/inaccuracies/exaggerations thrown into the mix for good measure.

1.  Contrary to your claim, pets are in the game.  At present, they consist of the Zombot and Manta.  The Zombot was originally subscriber-only, but the Halloween event was opened to non-subs before it ended due to very real problems with the subscription system at launch.  If the fact that some non-subs have Zombots means in your mind that FSS *LIED* to you, you suffer from an extremely warped perception of reality.   FSS never promised a specific date for launch of many of the touted sub-only features, such as new character classes.   

2. Both "cancelled" and "canceled" are acceptable spellings for the past tense of the verb "to cancel".  Check your dictionary next time before making an ass of yourself.

3.  It isn't the case that patch after patch went by with no mention of fixing memory leaks.  Several patches included memory leak fixes (or at least attempted fixes), as detailed in the patch notes.  Most recently (I believe in the 0.6 patch), the developers claim to have have fixed a serious memory leak resulting from examing items in your inventory.   Rather than wildly claiming that the developers were *ignoring* memory leak problems, you'd have been better off opining that the developers have been much too slow in fixing them.

4. Demanding a refund on a lifetime subscription is idiotic.

With all of the above said, I must say I'm disappointed with HGL's subscriber "perks" and the game generally.  But I'd expect a website that imagines itself as offering objective, factual analysis to do a better job of pointing out the shortcomings in a game and its attendant online service.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #201 on: December 17, 2007, 10:03:24 PM

You must be new here.  Welcome!   this guy looks legit

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #202 on: December 17, 2007, 10:15:43 PM

Reading is hard.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #203 on: December 17, 2007, 11:34:38 PM

But guys, he made FOUR POINTS!
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: December 17, 2007, 11:43:55 PM

Check your dictionary next time before making an ass of yourself.

3.  ... the developers claim to have have fixed a serious memory leak...

Check your grammar, douche. And what is "examing"? All that froth must be making your keyboard slippery.

As far as demanding refund on a lifetime sub- it's not like this is a Free Mason's induction. I'd want my money back as well.

edit: spelling!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 11:52:54 PM by stu »

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: December 17, 2007, 11:45:45 PM

But I'd expect a website that imagines itself as offering objective, factual analysis to do a better job of pointing out the shortcomings in a game and its attendant online service.

What website are we talking about again?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: December 18, 2007, 02:24:46 AM

I like the rest of the Internet.  It makes me look better by comparison.  awesome, for real
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: December 18, 2007, 02:42:20 AM

He has a point though.  We do have a lot of Drama Queens.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: December 18, 2007, 04:10:25 AM

But I'd expect a website that imagines itself as offering objective, factual analysis to do a better job of pointing out the shortcomings in a game and its attendant online service.

What website are we talking about again?
Fark, I think.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: December 18, 2007, 05:57:08 AM

2. Both "cancelled" and "canceled" are acceptable spellings for the past tense of the verb "to cancel".  Check your dictionary next time before making an ass of yourself.

Excuse me, please be to reading the rest of the thread before you act like an idiot. I said this already!

The new people are steppin' on my grammar snake!  awesome, for real

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Failgate London or “Why You Don't Outsource Important Services.”  
Jump to: