Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 12:12:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition 0 Members and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  (Read 822639 times)
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #1260 on: August 18, 2009, 12:37:08 PM

I'd downloaded the client from FP yesterday afternoon and moved the Hoggs files and it kept timing out last night. Went to bed and restarted the patcher this morning and it patched up with no problems and I was able to play. So whatever patcher problems they had seem to be fixed for now.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1261 on: August 18, 2009, 01:02:18 PM

So what's the proper course now for downloading this game with all the different versions?

I'm still using the original file i downloaded from fp and it finally patched and run fine.

I am the .00000001428%
jason
Terracotta Army

Reply #1262 on: August 18, 2009, 01:28:12 PM

I disagree completely.  Open beta in MMOGS is now  a marketing tool, not a testing tool.

That's got nothing to do with the fact that trying to emulate server load with bots is grade AAA stupid.

Depends on what is being tested... server load?  Yeah, bots would be stupid... stress testing instance performance, spawning/despawning of instances... scripted clients could be useful, especially since getting people playing their free MMO instead of actually beta testing to do what you want and actually test things can be a giant pain in the ass.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1263 on: August 18, 2009, 02:47:05 PM

You can make instances and stress instance performance with a slash command or line of code from the server caretakers. There is literally no more stupid way to test anything than using bots.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1264 on: August 18, 2009, 02:51:41 PM

There is literally no more stupid way to test anything than using bots.

Don't know about that.

It's a great way to test the bots...

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1265 on: August 18, 2009, 02:57:19 PM

Well at least its decently fun to play.

I am the .00000001428%
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1266 on: August 18, 2009, 06:06:53 PM

That sums it up.  I don't know why I'd play this over CoX, not that I've played CoX for any length. 

Champo is the first game to actually induce a headache from it's graphics.  The cel shading looks... off.  It also hitches from the GPU when turned up high.  I turned it down to low but now it looks like dogshit. 

Unimpressed. 

Man, the graphics give me a headache too. The graphics just pierce my retinas and make me not wanna play. However, even ignoring the graphics, I was bored 20 minutes in. That's a bad sign.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #1267 on: August 18, 2009, 06:09:04 PM

Well the combat with a controller feels entirely wrong because it's not action-type combat although it's trying to pretend to be.  Nothing happens when I press buttons once, usually I have to pound the button three or four times to get it to do a damn thing, because it's fucking with targeting and bullshit like that.  Why they bothered to try to make the game "actiion-y" when they still saddled it with targeting and stuff I have no idea.  There are so many good console action games that they could take lessons from in controls if they were trying to make it an action-MMO.  And if they weren't, they shouldn't try to make it sorta kinda feel like one, because at least from my perspective all that does is frustrate the player because it feels so horribly clunky to try to play it that way.

I doubt DC will do better, but the MMO that makes targeting halfway smooth - or even better, removes it entirely except for long-range attacks that have a specific need to be targeted, like pouncing on an enemy or a homing attack - will get me interested enough to give them money, probably for quite a while.  Even combat like Fable or Fable II, which is rather clunky from console action-combat standards, would be a great move for an action MMOG combat system.

Without a proper action-combat system, I don't really see any reason to play this over City of Heroes.  The costume choices are, in my opinion, pretty limited and uninspired, I get invalid costume on some entire categories (like female monstrous chest won't work at all) and as limited as CoH content is, everything everyone else says tells me that the content here is even smaller.  Plus there's no villains.  If CoH didn't have years of head start and additional content and City of Villains out, then sure, Champions Online might look like a good choice.  But if I want to play a superhero game, I don't see any reason to pick CO over CoH.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1268 on: August 18, 2009, 06:22:53 PM

I turned all the settings up to max and it looks fine.  Hopefully those costumes that are broken will be fixed before launch.  This feels a lot like CoH to me.  I just can't play CoH anymore because I've seen everything and know everything that's going to happen.  Still, the game is just okay so far.  I'm not even level 10 yet, though.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1269 on: August 18, 2009, 06:28:04 PM

If more than 5 people that hang out at these forums still play it 30 days after release I will pick it up and try it.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1270 on: August 18, 2009, 06:32:33 PM

(like female monstrous chest won't work at all)

this guy looks legit

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1271 on: August 18, 2009, 06:35:31 PM

My eyes actually hurt as soon as I got out of the character creation. 

Fileplanet files lets you play immediately.

Character customization is pretty full.  There is an option at the time to get through all the different costume combos.  Took me a while.

The character control is ass.  Very slow.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1272 on: August 18, 2009, 06:48:25 PM

Maybe that other superhero game that is allegedly coming out will be better.

Oh, and I think I turned off that comic book outline thingy, too.  Maybe that helped the look.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1273 on: August 18, 2009, 07:12:24 PM

It's growing on me now that I'm in. Now, is the stuff interesting me going to keep me going for an extended period? I have my doubts. Limited zones, replaying content over and over... that shit worries me. But it's sort of mindless beat em up fun. I could see getting a month out of this. I have some serious concerns about their patcher load bearing after yesterday, though; I see that as a terrible portent for release.

Turn off bloom. Their bloom is fucking ass. It made an immense difference in the squinting I was doing.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1274 on: August 18, 2009, 07:51:35 PM

Just finished the tutorial. Flare Bear@ezrast.
Turn off bloom. Their bloom is fucking ass. It made an immense difference in the squinting I was doing.
This was the first thing I was going to say. I am the biggest sucker there is for shiny glowy lighting effects but the bloom in this game is just ridiculous.

My first impressions pretty much echo the rest of the crowd's here. It doesn't immediately turn me off but I would never slog through this solo - a regular group or a great community might make it worthwhile. The interface in general is just too clunky to put up with. There's a delay between pressing W and moving forward; the camera won't stop swinging around randomly to keep my target in view; targeting small mobs is a pain in the ass; the comics-y font used everywhere in the game is terrible. Immersion-breaking stuff that won't ever let me forget I'm playing a game.

edit: also, no apparent effort to make sure capes work properly. My furry ass clips through the thing every time I run. It bothers me.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 07:55:39 PM by ezrast »
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1275 on: August 18, 2009, 07:59:54 PM

But the cape animations are pretty good.

God that bloom. I was squinting because the yellow star on The Red Scare's cape was hurting my eyes. I was thinking maybe brightness but that just didn't make sense because it was at default. Then I figured out it was their horrible bloom and that seriously made it like a different game.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1276 on: August 18, 2009, 08:21:07 PM

Ummm, how is it that a game with only 30 people/shard is considered an MMO?  I mean, for god's sakes they instance the stupidest little things.
Anyways, I got in today and promptly made a pretty good rendition of Sho'Nuff from "The Last Dragon."  I must say, the chargen is the bread and butter (as everyone knows).  Once I figured out that the top tab basically gives you a whole 'nuther category of items to choose from - I was in heaven.  You can just about make anything you can thnk of.

The face/body sliders are pretty crappy though... You really dont have that much leeway in those regards, but given the cell-shading it's probably a good thing.
I found beginning combat in games like WoW and AoC more compelling than this game.  I mean really, this is supers combat - but it doesnt feel very Super.  From lvl 1-5 you basically have 2 abilities (for melee it's a punch and a kick) and that's pretty much the entire strat. behind the game for a while...  get to the powerhouse and add a travel power and something else (hopefully a ranged attack).  And that's it... "Huh"   If the combat was more visceral it wouldnt be such a problem, but it's standard DIKU (like, real standard) - so, it really sux ass.  Hopefully it grows on you.

Does the skill system speed up and/or become more interesting down the road?  I would assume so, but it'd be nice if they gave us a few more things to do in the beginning besides spam 1 button and just stand and watch.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 08:31:56 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1277 on: August 18, 2009, 08:23:06 PM

People need to post pics of their chars, that's the best part of these superhero games.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1278 on: August 18, 2009, 09:14:31 PM

For some reason whenever I take a screenshot it ends up like this:
The lighting in-game is just fine but screenshots turn me into a silhouette for some reason.
Fortunately, I can help with that a bit by lighting myself on fire.
This is with all settings maxed except for bloom and outlining.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1279 on: August 18, 2009, 09:20:13 PM

Captain Furry!

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1280 on: August 18, 2009, 09:30:18 PM

I was a little disappointed with the overall fur level, actually. There's no cohesive set of "hairy" textures (note the bear bare hands in the last pic) and there was no ursine head so I had to go with a human one. But it's a throwaway character anyway and I like the name Flare Bear enough that I had to roll with it.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1281 on: August 18, 2009, 09:33:15 PM

Someone make G. Gordon Liddy for me. Just so I know it exists.

Quick job, cannot make the moustache bigger nor can I find an american flag to pose against quick enough. The rocket on his back hopefully will send him to the moon.

Btw, I'm pissed off there is no hats selection! I wanted a freaking top hat for my mad pierrot le fou
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:35:58 PM by fuser »
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1282 on: August 18, 2009, 09:38:30 PM

There is. In chargen you'll notice a dropdown menu up top, right below the costume section selector.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1283 on: August 18, 2009, 09:42:38 PM

In chargen you'll notice a dropdown menu up top, right below the costume section selector.

awesome, for real
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1284 on: August 18, 2009, 09:43:34 PM

the camera won't stop swinging around randomly to keep my target in view

You can turn that off, I think. There are lots of ways to adjust the controls / appearance but it isn't well communicated.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1285 on: August 18, 2009, 10:04:29 PM

A lot of character pieces vanished during beta so they could be used as exclusive bonuses or possibly in-store items. I notice the micro-transactions tab is still broken so I guess they don't want to say what they're going to offer on that just yet.

In most cases you'll probably keep using the powers you have at level at level 40. For example playing with the force set there's only one end builder, single target, PBAoE and ranged AoE so you'll probably be using those for the entire game. Annoyingly there's not actually enough useful powers in force for me to meet the requirements to get higher level skills without picking up trash  Facepalm

Power armor seems to be built differently in that every power has a higher level replacement that does the same thing. Not sure I like that approach more.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #1286 on: August 18, 2009, 10:12:47 PM

The character creation options are pretty overwhelming.  It's like the Spore creature creator.  Except the more you play with it the more hideous and garish your mongoloid becomes until you give up and hit the default button to reset everything.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1287 on: August 18, 2009, 10:18:39 PM

Where to start?  I had some good and some bad tonight while playing.  Unsure if I'll log in again.  It's neat, but I can't say if it's neat enough to play all the time.  

The graphics hitching I have is an interesting bird.  I'm using an 8800gtx and on recommended settings I'm getting hitching that isn't there on low.  Sadly, low looks like crap.  I figured it was my GPU just being two years old, but then I went into a self instanced area and recommended settings are no longer hitching.  In fact, it looks damn nice for once with the cel lines and bloom turned off.  Once back out into population, goes to crap again.  So it's not really my Video Card being old per se, rather something on their end that needs optimized.  

They stole WAR's public quests.  They might work better in this game, hard to say.  I really enjoy the concept and hope they work.  

Power descriptions are too complex for a beatemup.  Travel powers very early in the game is cool.  
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1288 on: August 18, 2009, 10:25:43 PM

Turn off outlining and that goddamn bloom and your opinion of the game will go up 100%.  I thought I had accidentally clicked on "miniature sun in chest cavity" in the Char. Creator when I got in-game.

Enjoying so far.  I LOVE teleportation but I can see where flight would make my PvE life easier. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1289 on: August 18, 2009, 10:52:27 PM

Teleportation is friggin' awesome.  Any other game which has it needs to copy this model.

Those graphics options are new.  I'll peek over my roommie's shoulder if I get a chance, since that might reduce how ugly I think the game is by a little.  Most of my character complaints will stand though.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1290 on: August 18, 2009, 10:54:18 PM

I didn't mean to make another throwaway but couldn't help myself. Colors are a little odd on the first one courtesy of auto-white-balance.
I'm not feeling the character creator hate so far. DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #1291 on: August 18, 2009, 11:20:53 PM

I'm kind of amazed at how bad the game looks in those shots.  Like 1995 bad.

AKA Gyoza
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1292 on: August 18, 2009, 11:32:00 PM

That's what I did too, Triforcer.  I think getting rid of that strange outlining helped the look a lot.  Why is it even there?  Are the characters supposed to look drawn or something?

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #1293 on: August 18, 2009, 11:43:25 PM

I'm kind of amazed at how bad the game looks in those shots.  Like 1995 bad.

Ditto.  There is a mob in one of ezrast's screenshots (in the backround) who has no face. Seriously?

I was on the fence about this title, but you guys have given me some good reasons to stay away. Ah well.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1294 on: August 19, 2009, 12:43:47 AM

You'd think with the graphics not looking that great I'd be able to play on something other than the very lowest settings. I don't understand this game.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  
Jump to: