Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:03:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: Evoker 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Evoker  (Read 22397 times)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

on: November 05, 2007, 06:38:02 AM

Since I don't see a topic for them yet, am I the only one playing one? I tried a Marksman first, but it felt a little too easy-modeish. I'm finding the Evoker way morefun though. For really full rooms I still have to hide around a corner and pop off shots with my Swarm gun until everything is softened up, but once you get in close, those fire based short range attacks are a joy of carnage. I'm level 10 now and starting to find soloing is getting tougher.

From what I've played so far in a party, I definately take the support role behind the melee guy. It works quite well though having a legendary gun with +2 Brom's Curse, and me standing there phasing everything as it comes in.

Oh, random question - How does one create a Party portal?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
lesion

Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 06:52:19 AM

I've got a 24 Evoker. Was getting my ass kicked in a group of 3 (Guardian, Engineer and myself) despite having more health than any of them, wah wah wah. I think that's a product of the fucked-up party scaling though. Brom's Curse is amazing.

If you click the blue circle next to the portrait of a party member it'll pop up a portal.

steam|a grue \[T]/
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 07:06:19 AM

Party Portal: Hold Alt, click on little blue dot next to their character portrait.

Schild is a level 29 Evoker, playing through nightmare. Here is the setup:

Basically, damage damage damage and lots of it.

I have an item that gives AFTERLIFE 2. So that's at 3.

I have never once used Brom's Curse. I die a lot. I dish out a shitload of damage though. I have shit for hit points.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 07:13:38 AM

I don't understand your build at all.  But then again, you're just playing right?
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 07:18:56 AM

Short of the fact I have absolute shit for hitpoints and I'm purely about dishing out an insane amount of damage very quickly, it's not a build so much as a masterful experiment in damage and winning the minigame very very quickly.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 07:32:34 AM

First evoker to send a PM to me can have this weapon I have clogging my bank.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:48:37 AM

I'm a couple levels short, but I'm sure I could find space in my bank for that. :)

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 10:54:09 AM

Your build looks very spread out Schild. From what I hear Lightning/Fire is the Evoker favorite build right now. I am going a completely different direction with mine. Im going Poison/Bone/Spectral Curse.

http://hellgate.ingame.de/skilltree/evoker/?l=50&s=0000013210070007020a000a6000
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 10:58:59 AM

it may seem spread out, but a lot of those spells are just for the minigame. All I really use in that entire set is afterlife, spectral lash and firestorm.

90% of the time I'm mind-controller until things are near death and then it's just firestorm city.
lesion

Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 11:48:54 AM

Is the explosion on spectral lash anything more than a spectral nova?

I have to say the thunderstorm is my favourite spell right now. Frying things en-masse Red Alert style is on par with blowing up jerks using barrels. The bone spear is great too with some shield penetration.

steam|a grue \[T]/
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 12:14:45 PM

Is the explosion on spectral lash anything more than a spectral nova?

I have to say the thunderstorm is my favourite spell right now. Frying things en-masse Red Alert style is on par with blowing up jerks using barrels. The bone spear is great too with some shield penetration.

I'm jealous.  That's what I was going to go w/ my 'voker.  Getting a bit bored w/ my summoner.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 12:52:15 AM

I have never once used Brom's Curse. I die a lot. I dish out a shitload of damage though. I have shit for hit points.

(As a Summoner) I had Brom's Curse 1 on a gun and it was relatively useful, if only so I didn't have to use Health Injectors at all. Carnagor Enrage and then Meat Shield followed up with Brom's Curse meant that neither he nor I took much damage at the end of the fight. On bosses it was great since it kept me up when I needed to shunt my health for his (and again, not inhale Health Injectors).

It's sort of in an annoying spot in the Summoner tree (Afterlife 2 and Drain Life 2 are prereqs.) so I'm not sure if I'll get it myself, but I at least found it pretty handy. (Now that I've upgraded weapons, I am having to get accustomed to not having it.)

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 01:20:14 AM

I played an Evoker towards the end of beta, and the here's a couple of things I had to learn off the beta boards about this odd little nuke-monkey:

• Regarding Dual Focus, the main hand focus is your damage.  Off-hand focus only applies whatever mods or other enhancements are installed on it.
  • Where it's listed xxx% boost on the spell on the skill list, it refers to the influence of the chance of secondary affects (such as stunning or phasing) applying to the foe and not the actual damage done by that spell.

Checking the forums today, it seems these two things are still considered true there.

Firsthand, I'd say that Evokers are tricky.  My "generalist build" Evoker didn't do too well - apparently they're better off specialized as either a stanch close range tank mage, an evasive long range nuker, or possible even a Gunvoker (no focus-requiring skills).  I think the theory here is yet to be set in stone, though.
lesion

Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 06:07:00 AM

I didn't have problems with mine, but I haven't actually been through Nightmare beyond the newbie stations.  I kinda like that the skill bonuses past the first point are generally not great because it means not having maxed stuff won't gimp you horribly.

steam|a grue \[T]/
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 02:41:37 PM

Hmm, it could also be that my generalist build was lacking certain key skills or perhaps it was a beta balance thing.

I decided this time around I'm probably going to go for something like this:

http://hellgate.ingame.de/skilltree/evoker/?l=50&s=0300313050032260510700000800

I'm thinking that between the Fire tree and the Bone tree I'll have all the types nukage I need covered in spades.  Then I can get my Hoover on with Drain Health and Drain Power and amp things up with Arcane Shield and Concentrate Damage.

Mmm... less posting, more Hellgate.  evil
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 02:58:27 PM

I think for Nightmare mode you are going to need more more specialization. If your going to use the drains, you should max them, also Skullsplitter doesnt really mesh well. The main reason for Bone Shards is defensive for the AE stun, but with out it maxed, your not going to sun many mobs. This is an edited build. Now, this is mostly theory craft since I dont have any experiance with the fire tree, but I am using the bone line right now. Also, I made a drain build in beta.

Also, arcane shield is ether a 1 point or max. 1 point because it will instantly refill your shields, and max if you want it to really be defensive at higher levels.

http://hellgate.ingame.de/skilltree/evoker/?l=50&s=03007130100670a0010000000a00
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 02:59:36 PM

Firestorm is better than Flameshards imo.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 11:42:20 PM

Every evoker alive should put one point into arcane shield.

I have 534 shields and can instantly recover them 100% once every 10 seconds.

COROLLARY: Every evoker alive is alive because of arcane shield.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 12:04:05 AM by Samprimary »
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #18 on: December 25, 2007, 10:53:46 AM

Well, I still tool around from time to time. Arc Legion is the game on easy mode.

Of course, I could definitely use that respec token now. When are they forking that over? Since I'm past level 30 I can give the middle finger to the spectral tree now without any heartbreak.

I'm still on the fence about the specifics of my respec but I'm pretty sure that I'm maxing blink and arc legion. I may also max the lightning storm for ez-mode duels.

Also, what are the specifics about item augmentation? Legendaries hold more total slots? All slots are equally weighted in 'storage space' for an item whether they are common, rare, or legendary?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: Evoker  
Jump to: