Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:21:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Wanted movie 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wanted movie  (Read 34904 times)
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

on: October 31, 2007, 11:12:44 AM

So, trailer's released for the movie adaptation of Wanted.  Looks like they gutted alot of the plot/background of the comic.  My hopes for the movie are dimmed a bit. 

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809878244/video/477
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 06:59:12 PM

Yeah, the Wanted movie has ditched all the DC-homage / parodies and replaced it with a generic 'assassins who kill for good' plot, at least from this trailer.

Plus the Wesley character was just annoying. Solid cast though.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 07:30:57 PM

I can't believe this even got greenlighted. I thought the comic was extremely immature, on the level of say...that Postal video game.

That is a good cast though. Maybe McAvoy can make it interesting.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 07:53:27 AM

I've never read the book. The trailer I'm unsure about. On the one hand, I like the guy playing the main character, as he was fantastic in Last King of Scotland. But goddamnit, Jolie just annoys me now, especially playing an assassin after Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Probably be a decent popcorn flick for a DVD rental.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 11:38:18 PM

I can't believe this even got greenlighted. I thought the comic was extremely immature, on the level of say...that Postal video game.

That is a good cast though. Maybe McAvoy can make it interesting.

The comic started from an interesting idea - that the villains won. But Millar glossed over the interesting bits (as is his tendency), seemed to love flipping the bird at the audience and it ended with some kind of weird rant that Millar meant to no doubt inspire but just left me going, "... huh, right".

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 11:43:14 PM

Yeah, I thought the premise was cool, but it pretty much went downhill from there.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 11:46:38 PM

Yeah, I thought the premise was cool, but it pretty much went downhill from there.

My greatest joy was in seeing a Wanted villain and trying to link him / her back to the DC original. And how the Superman villains controlled America while the Batman villains got stuck with Australia.

None of which appears to be in the film.

Still, solid cast. The script can't suck too badly on the face of it for Terence Stamp, Morgan Freeman and Angelia Jolie to all sign up to it.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 07:45:25 AM

Terrence Stamp was in Elektra.

Morgan Freeman was in Chain Reaction.

Angelina Jolie was in the Tomb Raider movies.

It's quite possible they all took on a shitty movie.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 08:50:05 AM

McAvoy is the key, man.

Though I have absolutely nothing against Morgan Freeman either. Chain Reaction didn't exist.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 09:10:08 AM

The comic was pretty juvenile in parts, but the basic premise and idea was pretty cool.  The execution was just flawed. 

A movie would have been a good way to remedy that, and make the whole thing golden.  Alas, it seems they've taken out most of the good along with the bad.  Which makes no sense, as comic book related stuff is doing pretty good lately.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 11:52:26 AM

McAvoy is the key, man.

Though I have absolutely nothing against Morgan Freeman either. Chain Reaction didn't exist.

How about Hard Rain? heehee

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 06:25:29 PM

Terrence Stamp was in Elektra.

Morgan Freeman was in Chain Reaction.

Angelina Jolie was in the Tomb Raider movies.

It's quite possible they all took on a shitty movie.

It's not a perfect way of knowing quality - perhaps they are all getting big pay cheques for this movie, or all had some down time or something - but for all of them to sign on isn't necessarily a bad thing.

... of course, "Eragon" had Jeremy Irons, Robert Carlisle and John Malkovich in it...

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 04:06:42 AM

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 06:18:40 AM

Dungeons and Dragons had Jeremy Irons in it.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 06:38:41 PM

Dungeons and Dragons had Jeremy Irons in it.

I think he and Ben Kingsley have a competition on to see who can appear in the worst film in the role they care the least about. Kingsley is currently winning.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 03:02:38 AM

For.... ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 03:12:29 AM

BloodRayne?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 08:34:50 AM

I think Kingsley said he did it because he wanted to do something his grandkids could watch. Too bad the guy wasn't too savvy about the details.

[EDIT]

And on that note, the perfect "grandkid" movie for Kingsley would have been a Spidey flick. As Vulture. Instead, they scrapped the idea, and wrote a movie about Venom instead.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 08:37:49 AM by Stray »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 08:55:12 AM

Kingsley said he wanted to do a VAMPIRE movie as a vampire.

He obviously knew the movie would have sucking in it.  Rimshot

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 09:35:31 AM

Doh! Haemish, that was awful.  awesome, for real

Ben Kingsley has no excuse for Bloodrayne. He is a fucking dolt for that. It's a Uwe Bol movie for crying out loud!

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #20 on: November 18, 2007, 11:32:34 AM

So, it sounds like I shouldn't read this comic until after I've seen the movie.  I'd never heard of it before, but what I saw in the trailer entertained me.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 09:06:08 PM

For.... ?

Bloodrayne
A Sound of Thunder
What Planet Are You From?
... and The Love Guru doesn't look promising.

Don't get me wrong - Jeremy Irons has given it a red hot go, with

The Time Machine
Dungeons and Dragons
Eragon

but he's just not been able to keep up.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #22 on: November 18, 2007, 09:07:35 PM

So, it sounds like I shouldn't read this comic until after I've seen the movie.  I'd never heard of it before, but what I saw in the trailer entertained me.

The comic and the movie appear to have little in common. If you can read the comics for free somewhere, do that - I didn't feel it was fleshed out enough to recommend that someone buy it.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 02:40:10 AM

I thought it was funny.. Shandling doesn't make enough movies, I say!

I *glanced* at Eragon yesterday on HBO. You guys are overblowing it's suckage. It's a mediocre movie to be sure, but not even remotely close to Uwe Boll levels. Irons was still good in it too. Same goes for the Time Machine.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 07:23:04 AM

I thought it was funny.. Shandling doesn't make enough movies, I say!

I *glanced* at Eragon yesterday on HBO. You guys are overblowing it's suckage. It's a mediocre movie to be sure, but not even remotely close to Uwe Boll levels. Irons was still good in it too. Same goes for the Time Machine.

Uwe Boll is hardly the worst director out there. He just attracts nerd rage by getting the rights to video game movies and then disregarding everything about the game. Plus the man has an ego that could stop an anti-tank round.

Given the choice, I'd rather watch Bloodrayne again than Dungeons and Dragons. But Kingsley does a worse job than Irons in most of those films mentioned - Kingsley really looks like he's in it for the paycheque whereas Irons gives it a shot at least.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 08:01:04 AM

No, Uwe Boll is pretty damn bad. But perhaps a step above Skinemax directors, if that's what you mean by "hardly the worst director out there".

As for video game movies -- they've always sucked. That's to be expected. And believe it or not, I actually don't give a shit about video games that much to care about whether directors are "faithful" to the source material or not. I just don't. Video games are already a shitty storytelling medium to begin with, and Uwe Boll sucks on a general directorial level.

[edit] Wait... How the fuck did I get sucked into this? You guys are saying that Wanted may suck because it has Jeremy Irons in it... Because he was in Eragon?

That's silly.

If anything though, this movie will suck because the comic sucked. I said that in my first post here, and should have just left it at that.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 08:17:07 AM by Stray »
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 09:05:30 PM

No, this all started because I said it had a strong cast and Ironwood pointed out a strong cast can sign onto a bad movie e.g. Eragon.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 05:58:21 PM

No, Uwe Boll is pretty damn bad. But perhaps a step above Skinemax directors, if that's what you mean by "hardly the worst director out there".

I'd rather watch a Skinemax movie personally.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 01:08:27 AM

Watched it.  Was mostly interested in seeing it because it's from the director that did Nightwatch and Daywatch, doing his first movie in the U.S..  Overall it wasn't bad.  Had a lot of fun parts to it.  Wasn't overly fond of the ending, and though I haven't seen Wall-E or Hancock yet (we're allowed to start playing Hancock at 7:00PM on Tuesday of all times), I couldn't really recommend seeing Wanted over either of those if you're planning on going to the movies sometime within the next couple weeks.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 08:59:19 AM

I have only one question, will it be alright watching it on small screen or will it be too easy to see all the flaws when I'm not awed by the shiney and the noise?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 02:39:36 PM

I have only one question, will it be alright watching it on small screen or will it be too easy to see all the flaws when I'm not awed by the shiney and the noise?

I wasn't all that awed by the shiney.  There are some cool sequences but nothing that really needs to be seen on the big screen and no special effects that you likely haven't seen elsewhere.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 08:23:08 AM

I saw it, it was probably the most fun I've had this summer other than Iron Man.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the graphic novel. However, from what I read on Wikipedia of the graphic novel this movie shares character names with the novel and that's about all.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 08:10:16 PM

I saw it, it was probably the most fun I've had this summer other than Iron Man.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the graphic novel. However, from what I read on Wikipedia of the graphic novel this movie shares character names with the novel and that's about all.

This is correct - there is pretty much nothing comparable between the original Wanted series and this movie.

schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: June 28, 2008, 03:35:21 PM

This movie was fucking terrible.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #34 on: June 28, 2008, 03:36:10 PM

Yeah it kind of sucked.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Wanted movie  
Jump to: