Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:36:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: Summoner 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summoner  (Read 38846 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

on: October 31, 2007, 10:59:37 AM

So my first char is a summoner.

I haven't decided how I want to build him up.

However, I have heard that you can have up to 40 elementals out, so I will be prepared to Play-to-Crush.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 11:19:21 AM

You don't really have a choice. Spend points on the carnagor for tanking and fire elementals for damage. Bind summon fire elemental to your RMB; they die a lot.

There are no real viable alternative summoner builds using the warper, witch doctor, etc.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 12:05:37 PM

Actually, I'm nearly L11 and haven't spent a point yet.  Just find a weapon w/ +1 to the carnagor or fire ele's (or both in my case  awesome, for real), and you can hold out quite a while.

I think I'm going to try a crazy earth elemental + witch doctor build.

Edit: Like this; http://hellgate.ingame.de/skilltree/summoner/?l=50&s=00000000001aa07000a005000510
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 12:19:02 PM by MrHat »
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 12:23:31 PM

Oh you can do it, you don't literally have no choice, you'll just gimp your character.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 12:44:09 PM

Oh you can do it, you don't literally have no choice, you'll just gimp your character.

That's a good point.  Is there a way to respec in this game?
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 12:57:07 PM

Carnagor + bee gun = teh win

That's a good point.  Is there a way to respec in this game?

level more

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 01:41:11 PM

Is there a way to respec in this game?

No.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 02:01:14 PM

How so?
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 03:04:52 PM

You have a choice of 3 minions; tank, healer, or DPS. You need to choose one, because there's no synergy in the talent points and you can only have one up at a time. The tank is great solo. The healer and DPS are supposed to be good in groups, but there's no group content in the entire game. And no respecs.

Oh and no, the force elemental can't serve as an effective tank solo.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 03:16:52 PM

I've heard otherwise.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 03:18:28 PM

Go for it. The base game is pretty easy, you can still beat it with a non-optimal build and hell, maybe you'll discover something new.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 04:24:40 PM

Go for it. The base game is pretty easy, you can still beat it with a non-optimal build and hell, maybe you'll discover something new.

Ya, that's what I'm figuring.  Besides, now that I've only spent 1 point, I'll feel stupid for not having an army of fire elementals early on to help me out.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 04:40:59 PM

You have a choice of 3 minions; tank, healer, or DPS. You need to choose one, because there's no synergy in the talent points and you can only have one up at a time. The tank is great solo. The healer and DPS are supposed to be good in groups, but there's no group content in the entire game. And no respecs.
Huh? In Beta I had the tank and DPS ones out at the same time. Did they change this right before release?

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 05:15:19 PM

No, you could always have one minion and 2 sets of elementals simultaneously summoned.

minion: carnagor, witch doctor, warper, reaper
elementals: fire, spectral, force, etc
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 05:32:37 PM

Summoners are too sissy to fight their own battles! 

/evoker giggling!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 06:14:31 PM

No, you could always have one minion and 2 sets of elementals simultaneously summoned.

OIC I got the minion and elemental distinction confused.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 10:37:15 AM

I'm playing around with a Summoner as well as my Marksman. Is the little elemental pet supposed to be a psycho aggressive pitbull on crack? I'm only level 4 but it has a wonderful tendency to run into a room full of nasty shit, aggro it all and then promptly die, dropping a lot of hate in my lap.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 10:47:38 AM

Yeah, they're insane.  It gets a bit better once you have the tank pet to taunt the newly pissed off enemies.  I wish the little bastards would all focus on the same enemy too.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 10:53:36 AM

Yes, that's been my experience too. Get a Carnagor when you can, and he should be able to keep your Elementals alive against all up AE mobs and bosses. The Meat Shield (AE Taunt + Heal) is a massive help in that department too. But they still sometimes go off on their own, there really needs to be some sort of "Focus Fire" command for all your minions.

Speaking of such, I was thinking of going with this. I was thinking about Afterlife, but it just doesn't seem very useful beyond a couple points (may split between it and +Fire Ele damage).

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 11:02:02 AM

That "Master of the Flame" seems like a bit of a rip off, ten whole points for only 10% more damage?  That only winds up equalling one more imp (at ten imps) and they only cost one point each.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 11:04:34 AM

It's 10%/level in game, the skill calculator is borked. (At least it says "Next Rank = 20%" in-game at 1/10, I assume it continues to scale like that.)

"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 11:06:12 AM

Yes, it does.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007, 09:36:22 AM

Ok, before the beta wipe I was up to level 13 in summoner, and have been re-playing the Summoner primarily because I wanted less little fire elementals around, and wanted one with more power. I also was using the Carnagor alot, but now that I have the witch doctor with a couple of heavy hitting fire elementals (instead of 10 weak ones) I am seeing much less use to having many many zerging uncontrollable elementals. At one point I grouped with another summoner who had 8 fire elementals, and then with my 6 there was just zerging fireballs everywhere, which didn't do a damn thing for fire resistant enemies.

OIC I got the minion and elemental distinction confused.

Actually you can always have 1 minion, and as many elementals as you have spare willpower, and right now I can have a witch doctor, with a single Earth (tank), a single spectral (aoe), and three fire elementals. That's assuming I'm using the one setup of weapons where I have less feed on my will from weapons.. BTW Feed sucks, and once I make or am lucky enough to have all mods with no feed requirements, then I'll probably have zerging multiples with the witch doctor.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 03, 2007, 11:22:12 AM

Really? I thought we were limited to two elemental types. That's pretty sweet.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 03, 2007, 07:43:17 PM

Ya, I'm basically doing what Tao is.  Tao, how crazy are you going on the Witch Doctor's skills?
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 03, 2007, 11:51:04 PM

Ya, I'm basically doing what Tao is.  Tao, how crazy are you going on the Witch Doctor's skills?

Don't really think I've added any more points to witch doctor skills yet, and they didn't seem like they'll be that terribly useful to add more pts too.. Only the one that increases healing seemed useful. I'm only level 16, and just got the witch doctor after using the Carnagor mostly and watching him feebly stand below flying  enemies, but my last skill pt was to add another spectral elemental, so now I can have 1 Earth, 2 spectrals and 2 fires.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 04, 2007, 05:38:05 AM

Fairly certain that you can only have 1 spectral.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 04, 2007, 06:10:30 AM

Don't really think I've added any more points to witch doctor skills yet, and they didn't seem like they'll be that terribly useful to add more pts too.. Only the one that increases healing seemed useful. I'm only level 16, and just got the witch doctor after using the Carnagor mostly and watching him feebly stand below flying  enemies, but my last skill pt was to add another spectral elemental, so now I can have 1 Earth, 2 spectrals and 2 fires.

Are you playing live?
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 04, 2007, 08:17:59 AM

Fairly certain that you can only have 1 spectral.

Actually, I added a point thinking it would add a second one, but it only increased the single spectrals power.. I had only just put that point in before logging out and hadn't gone out using it yet (but I thought I could have 2 spectrals). I must've been looking at the Earth Elemental's stats where adding a pt to that added another one of those.

I just added a pt to the Witch doctor's nostrum skill after playing some this morning, and I assume it's an extension of heal, but with all the elementals summoned I didn't have the willpower to cast it to try it out yet. I didn't think controlling a monster (the other witch doc skill) seemed all that useful, but now I'm thinking I need to find a way to free up more willpower feed somehow. 

Are you playing live?

The multi-player beta was extended until Nov 7, and I've been playing online, so yah I am on live even without buying it.

schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: November 04, 2007, 08:33:38 AM

I don't even know why you're still playing. You've been such a sandy vagina about it, I figured you would've run back to SWG or something equally terrible.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 04, 2007, 08:56:45 AM

I don't even know why you're still playing. You've been such a sandy vagina about it, I figured you would've run back to SWG or something equally terrible.

I keep hoping for the magic patch that's going to make all the fail go away, and in the meantime continue diligently testing while sending reports about bugs. I still don't think it's worth spending money on, and probably won't own this unless it's a gift (which my diablo addict friend hinted at), but for the time being crashing every two hours while wanting this game to improve is enough.

I have an aversion to throwing money at half done games, but obviously with you all paying money for this while I'm still bug testing, I'd have expected more sandy vagina posts coming from you people.

schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: November 04, 2007, 09:23:13 AM

I have an aversion to throwing money at half done games,

Bullshit. You play MMOGs. By definition, they're half-finished, and most of the time they're only half that.

And who knows how much money you've sunk into them. At least Hellgate has a beginning, middle and absolute end. Not to mention reasons to replay.

Fact of the matter is, you're just f'ing crazy. And that's fine, you can be crazy. But at least try not to be a complete clown when you publicize your craziness.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 04, 2007, 09:23:41 PM

What's the deal with the different types of elementals?  Are some definitively better than others, or are they just different types of damage? I'm level nine and hoarding points.

AKA Gyoza
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 04, 2007, 10:53:22 PM

Fact of the matter is, you're just f'ing crazy. And that's fine, you can be crazy. But at least try not to be a complete clown when you publicize your craziness.

I'm crazy? You're the one who's being a troll stalker, following me into threads where I was totally on topic and then lambasting me.  I may be crazy, but you sir are twice the lunatic insane person I am, the main difference being I don't post in every thread you respond to saying what a basket case you are. Get a fucking grip, and lay off the personal attacks.

What's the deal with the different types of elementals?  Are some definitively better than others, or are they just different types of damage? I'm level nine and hoarding points.

They aren't really better than each other, and yes they do different types of damage, which makes some of them more useful than others. The fire ones, of course cast fire, the earth one is just a physical brawler tank, and the spectral one casts a spectral wave AOE around itself... The storm casts electric, and last is poison, but I haven't gotten there to see if it's a melee or missle attack.

As you progress some enemies don't take damage from certain effects, so there's different situations for each one as far as I can tell. I wouldn't horde the points for too long though, and at level 9 I'd say have at least two pts in master of Flame, making the fire elementals do more damage, and then possibly save the rest for spectral and Witch Doctor (15).. Unless you wanted more tanks.

Also seperate from the elementals, there's the "minion" which is the pet you cast that'll have a health bar, and your Blood link will heal. The Carnagor is a straight tank, Witch Doctor a healer, Warper probably warps, and the Reaper probably reaps.. and the minions also have specials which you can cast, to make them somewhat better.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 08, 2007, 01:08:48 AM

Just a heads-up if you run across a weapon with Ember X, like...

It is a lie. It caps out your Summon Fire Elemental skill at that level instead of simply being +1 (so, with that gun, I could only summon one Fire and one Storm, instead of five Fire and one Storm like I should have).

Also, I picked up a focus with Word of Fear 3 on it and it really didn't seem to do much of anything. It was about as powerful as a Priest's Psychic Scream in WoW, except that it only works on demons. I can see how it might be useful if shit hits the fan, but it seems all too situational with how many decent places there are to put your points into.

Finally, has anyone played around with Drain Life? Is it any good? Does it prevent you from shooting or moving or anything else silly?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: Summoner  
Jump to: