Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:33:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Zenimax (Bethesda's parent) receives cash infusion. MMOGs to follow? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zenimax (Bethesda's parent) receives cash infusion. MMOGs to follow?  (Read 21142 times)
Hutch
Terracotta Army

on: October 25, 2007, 01:57:15 PM

Quote from: schild
(original quote from a locked thread in a galaxy far, far away)

Budgets. Budgets that don't support a MMOG. Budgets that won't for a long time until a big company (EA, UBISoft, Take Two, ZeniMax, SCEA/J/E) says they've got a blank checkbook to make this game.

Hmmmmm

I found this in the Warcry newsfeed. The article is on Gamasutra. Zenimax received 300 million USD "to fund future growth, ramp up publishing and development, facilitate acquisitions, and finance MMOGs."

The Aperture Enrichment Center wants to remind you to speculate in an environment of extreme pessimism.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 02:00:32 PM

Didn't they buy the Fallout MMOG or did what's it called keep that part of the license?

Also, Elder Scrolls MMO on consoles in 2010-2012, you heard it here first.

It will still be ugly as fuck.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 02:09:38 PM

Well, if they were going to take that $300M (or a high percentage of it, anyway) and simultaneously build an MMOG and an MMOG toolkit with it, they might have something. A game to finance future development, and a toolkit to build it with.

That's a pretty big if, though. I reckon they'll end up diverting the largest share of that pie into "facilitate acquisitions".

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 02:12:26 PM

Didn't they buy the Fallout MMOG or did what's it called keep that part of the license?

Correction to original post. Bethesda bought all rights to Fallout including the right to make a MMOG, but the deal is that  Interplay gets to keep those for another year or so and Bethesda has the right to approve the quality of any Fallout MMO before it goes to market. No one expects Interplay to actually dig up enough money to actually finance it though so what's a good lead time to start building up cash?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 04:25:04 AM by Phred »
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 08:40:06 PM

The way I understand it Bethesda now owns the fallout IP period. However Interplay is allowed (likely under past agreements) to make a Fallout MMOG IF they start within the next two years (more like one and a half now) AND finish in six. However if they fail to do so (the way I understood it) Bethesda is free to make their own and/or license it to someone else or whatever the fuck they like.

Heres the post from No Mutants Allowed

Also Gamespot's news item explains it well.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 08:41:38 PM by Ragnoros »

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 07:19:44 AM

If TES MOG ends up being only ugly as fuck, we're getting off easy.  How about: nothing like any TES game, boring and buggy?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 07:56:37 AM

This is good news. Eventually it will be like the infinite number of monkeys on typewriters and we'll have an infinite number of devs cranking out MMOs. I suspect this is the only way I'll ever see a fun new MMO.

CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 11:51:36 AM

The only way I see a "Fun new MMO" being made is if some hardcore mmo junky wins the powerball and starts his own company just for fun and never thinks about profit.

Everyone buy lottery tickets and mail them to me... quick!
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 12:03:24 PM

The only way I see a "Fun new MMO" being made is if some hardcore mmo junky wins the powerball and starts his own company just for fun and never thinks about profit.

Already in the works.

Think about a few years down the road. The game devs that ended up with a money hat and want to continue working in a field they are passionate about.  Everyone seems to be mourning the death of the indy mmog but I think it will experience a glorious rebirth sometime in the next 5 years. 
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 09:56:13 PM

Already in the works.

Think about a few years down the road. The game devs that ended up with a money hat and want to continue working in a field they are passionate about.  Everyone seems to be mourning the death of the indy mmog but I think it will experience a glorious rebirth sometime in the next 5 years. 

You mean people like Richard Garriot and Brad McQuaid?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 09:58:52 PM by Furiously »

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 10:03:28 AM

Everyone buy lottery tickets and mail them to me... quick!

You could buy Darkfall and finally release the perfect MMO.

CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 05:21:36 AM

You could buy Darkfall and finally release the perfect MMO.

uh... no... More like I'd use Torque to build it, so it could be ported anywhere... then I'd develop content in 2 directions. Fantasy and Sci-fi. I'd make the client open source, but the servers... oh the servers would be my money hat. You can change the mmo all you want... have whatever rules you want... But all your players gots to pay me $15.99/month. Maybe we'd throw in bonuses to the server admins that attracted the most accounts. There would be a minimal fee to start a server... just enough to pay for the hard disk space and backups. The clients subscription fees would pay for bandwidth... and my ferrari.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 12:17:05 PM

Already in the works.

You mean people like Richard Garriot and Brad McQuaid?

sort of, you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.  I was thinking more along the lines of flagship studios.  You could even say that Raph/meatplace is a product of this as well. 
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 06:59:27 PM

I like where this one's going  awesome, for real

not.  swamp poop

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 09:24:52 AM

Is that armor made of LEAVES?

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 09:56:01 AM

Those sure look like leaves...

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 12:18:36 PM

No, thats a screenshot of Morrowind, and the green stuff is the glass armor. I'm assuming this is some sort of online co-op mod of the game.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 01:32:32 PM

No, thats a screenshot of Morrowind, and the green stuff is the glass armor. I'm assuming this is some sort of online co-op mod of the game.

That's quite an assumption.   I assumed it was a photshop.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 06:24:48 PM

"ZeniMax Buys 'Elder Scrolls Online' Domain"

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 08:11:48 PM

Eeep, I love the elder scrolls but they aren't going to be able to make a good MMO.  I can't imagine the number of bugs either swamp poop.
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 06:40:48 AM

"ZeniMax Buys 'Elder Scrolls Online' Domain"

>_< was hoping I was wrong.
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 10:36:22 AM

Makes sense to me... Since Daggerfall they have been producing games filled with boring computer generated quests. How people can stand to play the same quest over and over is beyond me... Usually even the art looks identical... each temple looks the same... each cave the same... etc...

But it would all lend itself to an MMO well. Oblivion was so much like an mmo already, all it needs is a server.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 02:45:32 PM

If they make the leveling mechanic similar to what they initiated in Daggerfall/Morrowind/Oblivion, I will come. (in more ways than one probably). Let me level by doing what my class demands, not by whacking foozles. I know I'm going to get flamed for that because of a comment I made in the FFXI thread about only wanting to whack foozles, but in the context of the Elder Scrolls games, I would glady deal with leveling based on performing my major and minor skills. I loved that in Daggerfall. Forced me to roleplay that character as God intended. I'm guessing it's a similar concept to UO's levelilng, but not positive about that. I couldn't get into the UO love.

But holy hell yes, bring on TES:Online. But only if it works the way I want and has daedra boobies.  In love

MIght even get my wife to play. Arena was her favorite game back in the day.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 10:16:35 AM

raydeen, it's called ultima online. Can you imagine all those crazy max-monkeys running against the walls and bunny hopping all the place just level up their char? No. Just no >_<

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 11:44:23 AM

What rk47 said.  Be careful what you wish for, and people who don't know history, and whatnot.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 08, 2007, 12:03:02 PM

raydeen, it's called ultima online. Can you imagine all those crazy max-monkeys running against the walls and bunny hopping all the place just level up their char? No. Just no >_<

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. Is it any worse than what we have right now though? It's just a different kind of grind. Although I can see where it would be criminally easy to level some classes and hard as fuck for others. I ran into that with Daggerfall. Some classes couldn't level to save their lives, others would get you levels all day. In the end, it would take too much thought to implement and balance and wouldn't be worth the time and money for the company. It's sad. One possible way of making it work would be for a check to be in place that the action being taken actually was warranted. Say I'm firing off flame bolts at a monster. If one lands, I get exp or skill increase. If I'm just firing off into mid-air (which I used to do in DF), I should get nothing if the bolt fizzles out without making contact with a mob.

I should just pack in the whole MMOG deal and buy an old Pentium for $50 and reload DF and Arena. 

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007, 01:18:04 PM

You can run those in DOSBox.

History can teach us about disparate level gains.  Nevermind the class-balance flag that people trot around for a minute and let's remember Horizons.  I can't remember exactly which of the hundred classes was the Easy Mode one, but once the first guy hit level cap, the combat rework began.  Things just went downhill from there.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007, 03:38:00 PM

lol elderscrollsonline.com

Registrant:
        ZeniMax Media Inc
        IT Department
        1370 Piccard Drive
        Suite 120
        Rockville, MD 20850
        US

+1.3019632000  Fax: +1.3019632000

Domain Name: ELDERSCROLLSONLINE.COM
    Registrar of Record: Corporate Domains, Inc.
schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: November 08, 2007, 11:01:35 PM

Fail (also, that's a few days old).

Of course, it will be a console MMOG.

2 Million Users + within the first few months. I'm calling it.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 09, 2007, 03:20:46 AM

No way its console exclusive, unless M$ gives them moneyhats for exclusivity, which would put it on 360 and "Games for Windows(tm)". Though honestly I dont see them keeping it off the PS3...

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 09, 2007, 08:00:28 AM

It'll be on all three (with the PC version being gimped to fit), and it'll be moneyhats all around.

Hell, you could take Oblivion, rip out the 'main' storyline, add multiplayer and charge $10/m for it right now and you'd still end up with half a million subs.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: November 09, 2007, 08:21:48 AM

No way its console exclusive, unless M$ gives them moneyhats for exclusivity, which would put it on 360 and "Games for Windows(tm)". Though honestly I dont see them keeping it off the PS3...

WHY HELLO, I NEVER SAID EXCLUSIVE.

Of course there will be a PC version.

I'm just saying it'll be on consoles.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 09, 2007, 09:18:51 AM

Im sorry, but "console MMOG" implies "not on PC."

schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: November 09, 2007, 09:24:12 AM

Im sorry, but "console MMOG" implies "not on PC."

Oblivion was a console RPG that was on the PC.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 09, 2007, 09:37:39 AM

TES has always been a PC RPG series. The fact that the two most recent iterations have also been released on consoles does not change that fact.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Zenimax (Bethesda's parent) receives cash infusion. MMOGs to follow?  
Jump to: