Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:27:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Ryzom - The saga ends....again. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ryzom - The saga ends....again.  (Read 11713 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: October 02, 2007, 09:14:05 AM

Link to some statements by the CR

This means, Ryzom is once again having issues, and will most likely be shut down. I personally enjoyed the game, but always felt it needed SOME MMO trappings, such as quests..

The ring was just an idea born of genius. Its very sad the main game wasn't popular enough to make the ring get the exposure it deserved (I am sure anyone who played with the ring, and also grew up in an age of PnP DnD could agree).

The graphics and art direction were always stunning.

Heartbreak Heartbreak Heartbreak

It always sad to see AAA crap continue on, while smaller , well crafted, but may-not-be-your-thing-games have such issues.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 09:16:10 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 09:22:38 AM

Well crafted?

Oh, comeon. You're as shocked as ANYBODY to see it having lasted this long.

I'm tired of the shock and awe in Online Gaming. Quit it!

Edit: That's to say, there's only shock and awe when a non-AAA MMOG has any degree of success whatsoever. Ryzom is (I suppose, was) just another pipe dream.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 09:32:28 AM

Well crafted?

Oh, comeon. You're as shocked as ANYBODY to see it having lasted this long.

I'm tired of the shock and awe in Online Gaming. Quit it!

Edit: That's to say, there's only shock and awe when a non-AAA MMOG has any degree of success whatsoever. Ryzom is (I suppose, was) just another pipe dream.

I'm not shocked.

But i do think the game was well crafted, it just lacked some of the more mainstream hooks i think. The combat was good, the skill system was good, the art was superb, the back story was well writtin, and really cool if your into that sort of thing..the ring was a great idea.

But the game has always been lacking. I'm sure we could make a nice large list of things they should have added. IMO, the game was a great stable base, close to a more "Worldly" game than a liner one... I just think development took to long in many cases...and for some reason, the original developers out right would not place in some more standard MMO conventions, such as questing...

Anyway, for all its faults, it was a game i enjoyed, and was hoping to have a resurgence when it was sold the last time. (If i recall correctly, the game has been in the hands of the new owners for a year now..and very little has been done to it).

I dont think it was a pipe dream, just an unfinished one, and possibly, a stubborn one to boot.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 09:36:40 AM

By definition, if it never had any hope of being finished or complete, it's a pipe dream.

It never had any hope of being finished.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 09:41:18 AM

By definition, if it never had any hope of being finished or complete, it's a pipe dream.

It never had any hope of being finished.

Point understood.

But i am sure even you could find some redeeming qualities about that game.  I really enjoyed a lot of aspects about it, and the ideas...but it was lacking, something i held out hope it (Someone) would change/improve.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 09:42:11 AM

Pipe dream or not, it was a well crafted game. It failed because Americans hate the French. It's that simple. If the French developed a cure for every type of cancer, the United States would refuse to use it. But seriously, I think the ring was an awesome idea and I really liked it. Ryzom just needed a little something more to bring it into the mainstream. I think it was too open-ended for most people. Those with some level of imagination and desire to cut their own path liked it. Those without bitched that there was "nothing to do" and left. Not that there is anything new or innovative to do in any other MMOG on the market. Some just take the time to put the sheep costume on. Whatever the case may be, if I had the money, I would buy Ryzom just for myself and make it free to play for anyone who so desired.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 09:42:57 AM

I would read a Ryzom writeup by someone who actually played the game for some amount of time, I have no idea what was ever going on w/ this game.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 09:43:49 AM

Whatever the case may be, if I had the money, I would buy Ryzom just for myself and make it free to play for anyone who so desired.

according to the posting, you got three weeks.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 10:03:14 AM

Whatever the case may be, if I had the money, I would buy Ryzom just for myself and make it free to play for anyone who so desired.

Yes. I need to find some information on how to contact them. I can't imagine it would be cheap, but I'd still like to know the price range I'm looking at.

"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 10:39:50 AM

Yes. I need to find some information on how to contact them. I can't imagine it would be cheap, but I'd still like to know the price range I'm looking at.

I think, it sold for about 3 mill last time... (Code, servers, and staff, yada yada..)

schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 10:45:55 AM

I think, it sold for about 3 mill last time... (Code, servers, and staff, yada yada..)

Jesus, I need to sell these bridges.
cloudy97
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 11:34:46 AM

As someone who do play it (just not very often anymore), I'm just sad. Not surprised, cause Gameforge stopped responding on the forums quite a while ago.

The eco system stuff and the mob AI can't be found elsewhere. The game had more depth than other (PVE) MMOs I tried.

And I sure know how to pick games. First SEED, now Ryzom...
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 12:06:07 PM

I cannot remember what part of this Beta I was in... but it was a while ago, back when they assigned us to "guilds" and had weekly meetings and all that jazz.  Another option to the whole "USA hates the French" was the fact that they decided the game level curve was just too fast and that grouping was too effective of a tool... and so they completely destroyed it upon launch.

When I first started that game I was already pretty biased as to what I liked and what I expected... so it was no small task to have a "WoW that was cool!" kind of moment within 30 minutes of leaving the newbie island.  Basically I walked out of the town with my low-level gear and saw this mass of PCs all trying to take down this HUGE bug.  Since it was a skill-based game (still is I guess) everyone was gaining skill points, levelling up, etc.  The danger was drawing aggro, as most of us would die in 1 hit.  But, there was a sense of community and teamwork there that I have not seen before in an MMO.  Sure it was all based upon individual gain and selfishness... except for the few higher-skilled people that were letting us all leech off of them.  But, it was exciting, even Fun to be able to be part of epic kills and run back every 20-30 minutes with new batches of skills right out of the gate.

Then, they decided to implement Group ownership on creatures, made the XP curve go up by a factor of 10, and viola I had the choice to pay for a new game that was exactly like the one I was wanting to leave.  Sure the skill system was interesting, but the grind was horrendous since solo play was greatly discouraged and group play was only mildly better.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 12:11:11 PM

Well, I did try a free demo they had several months back ... I played for maybe two hours, if that. Just another generic  MMORPG that failed to have any kind of hook to keep me playing.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 12:12:00 PM

Well, I know ryzom.org which is now http://www.virtualcitizenship.org/ raised some money the first time this happened, but I never did find out how much in total they had. They are supposedly in talks now with the liquidation folks, but they've made no mention of how much money they have to spend, nor how much it will cost.

3 million is not unreasonable for a 3 year old game with the assets that are involved. I would imagine it will go for less this time around, especially if it goes to some independent buyer.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 12:40:15 PM

I played beta and about a month or so in release.  The Stanza System was a very clever idea that didn't work out at all.  The crafting was interesting but they made harvesting overly fiddly and not very efficient.  I did enjoy the look of some of it... it was very colourful... and the some of the mob AI was good fun.  I like how they implemented migration, too.  The Ryzom Ring might have been of interest to me if the game had better.  I guess it was just another instance of lots of clever ideas done all wrong.  I considered waiting around to see if they'd improve but I kept getting strange Horizons-ish feelings. 

Let's blame Themis.  We haven't blamed them for anything in ages.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 12:43:59 PM

Yet another example of neat ideas with poor implementation that eventually succumbed to the grind.  I played this for about a month in beta and enjoyed it briefly.  I could see this coming and find myself pretty surprised they even lasted this long.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 01:10:52 PM

Did any of you x-beta players play more recently? or get a chance to play with the Ryzom ring?

Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 01:37:43 PM

I've played more recently. Good graphics, interesting mob AI, good crafting, plenty of quests, original lore, more complicated than your typical MMO, customizable spells and attacks, and the Ring is fun to play with.

Still, I could not bring myself to pay for it, the free version was enough for me. Would I pay if I knew it would save it? No I wouldn't. It is interesting and different but not fun enough to pay for. That said, I'd like to see it stick around in some form rather than be shut down forever.
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 07:38:43 AM

I had a few gulidies check it out over the years... none of them came back with reports that were too much different from my experience, so I never got back into it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 12:33:52 PM

Necro.

RYZOM IS BACK...

Ryzom - the long awaited return!

To keep you informed if you are not yet aware. For 9 months, our company : "Winch Gate Property Ltd" - based in Cyprus, took over Ryzom to put it back on its feet and allow you to continue to play your favorite game.

Our first action was the restoration of free online play on all our servers. This has continued for more than 8 months now.

Since then, we have applied two large patches that you have recieved for free. These patches have fixed many bugs and added many new features. You can find the content of these two patches here and here. But we will not stop there, in the future we plan to release many patches, on a regular basis.

Concerning Events : many have already taken place on Atys, with many others ready to be launched to entertain you; thanks to our dedicated animation team. The path to the : "Power To Player" is at hand ;-).

Finally, we are in the process of reactivating our "System Subscriptions" from Monday 4th May 2009 and begin payment effectively in two weeks.
With the reopening of these paid subscriptions, we can finally get your financial aid to help fund not only the operation of our game and our teams, but also the future development to come that we have planned.

Above all, remember that starting today, you get two weeks free game time, whereafter - you get the opportunity to come and play test the latest additions to our patches.

CAUTION: In two weeks all accounts will become paying accounts, you can find the new prices at here and the terms here (As you can see, the subscription price has been heavily revised downwards, for example a single monthly subscription is now 7.95 Euro's).

The free trial pass gives three weeks of free and unlimited gaming that does not limit levels gained during the three week period (You are no longer forced to remain on Silan). Do not hesitate to invite your friends, as the game is still free to download (and play - within trial account limits) here and a new free trial account can be created here.

https://secure.ryzom.com/signup/?language=en&utm_source=newsletter1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=rib
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 02:39:32 PM

I might sign up for this, if only to find out what it looks like on a much better machine ( I was in the beta).

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 03:46:20 PM

It's not a terrible game, but it's dated.  Good luck to the team though, I hope they can have some success with it. 
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 09:28:02 PM

I tried it recently (but before some of the changes came in) - the tutorial was painfully grindy (especially gathering) but it has a fantastic ability to customise powers by adding advantages and disadvantages. Definitely a niche game though.

Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 03:43:25 AM

I honestly did not know this was still running. I did play the beta, but never got into the game so I put it out of my mind.

I'm quite suprised it made it this far.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 04:27:19 AM

It's been raised from the dead at least twice.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Ryzom - The saga ends....again.  
Jump to: