Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:01:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Star Trek Online - "Boldly going where Everyone has gone before" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek Online - "Boldly going where Everyone has gone before"  (Read 174137 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: September 28, 2007, 10:33:51 AM

mpogd

Really was hoping for a more "world" game, than a liner EQ (ETC) clone...

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 10:45:05 AM

Surprise = none.

Close in two years, people wonder why, dev team says they learned some valuable lessons about making a new game and the experience will serve them well on the next one, team cranks out another diku... fucking yawn.
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 10:45:37 AM

LFM Engineers, Borg raid, err... armada.
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 11:10:59 AM

When they say, "everyone gets their own ship" they mean it.  You won't be cruising around with your friends on one ship.  You'll be a pack of ships.  I would rather have a guild own the ship, with someone appointed captain, and other members in various roles, than the "tank" ship, the "healer" ship, etc.  Run missions on increasingly larger NPC ships, until you can save up enough on your own (or communally) to purchase a ship.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 12:47:35 PM by Driakos »

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 11:38:43 AM

This sounds so generic Diku it hurts.  I vote we never speak of this game again.  Also this reviewer probably isn't even that bad of a fanboi considering it is Star Trek.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 11:39:05 AM

Surprise = none.

Close in two years, people wonder why, dev team says they learned some valuable lessons about making a new game and the experience will serve them well on the next one, team cranks out another diku... fucking yawn.

You forget, it's not the dev's who pay their own paychecks.

- Viin
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 11:48:23 AM

Make. Something. Different.

Remember that episode where Kirk, Bones, Spock, Sulu, and Scotty, flew their pack of ships to lower Neutral Zone, and camped some Romulans? Scotty forgot to repair, so the group broke up early. One of my favorites.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 12:27:54 PM

This is going to flop. Hard.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 12:28:12 PM

Make. Something. Different.

Won't be anything different for a good long while, if ever.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 12:51:11 PM

This is going to flop. Hard.

It won't be what people hope for, but I bet it will get by.  People eat and watch and play the same crap all the time.  Makes life more certain. 

I presume there's no PvP?
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 12:54:20 PM

The article said they plan on having various forms of consensual PvP.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 01:01:53 PM

The article said they plan on having various forms of consensual PvP.

Nerf Romulans.

Over and out.
Kaa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 01:03:51 PM

The interview said there'll be FFA servers (though I've seen companies change their mind about things like this before). Otherwise it's all "consensual", aka duelling.

Kaa
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 01:23:29 PM

Oh, for fuck's sake. That sounds so goddamn uniteresting I think my uvula just dropped out of my anus.

Why? Why make another shitty diku with Klingon skins? So we can all get together in one big player city alpha class starship and yif each other to death in our Ponfar Sadie Hawkins Geek Dance?

Surely SOMEONE at Perpetual can think beyond MAGE shuttles and TANK shuttles. I mean, goddamnit, there are more interesting game designs on the inside of my fucking colon. Based on Perpetual's vidoes for Gods and Heroes, I can't imagine their Star Trek game is going to look anymore inspiring. It's a goddamn crime just how much money they are flushing down the Diku toilet on this one. It'll probably limp into profitability, maybe hovering between 100-200k subs.

The only good thing about their design is that they chose to set it 25 years after the last shittastic Trek movie. No crew of the Enterprise to fuck up the 4th wall.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 01:26:33 PM

Like i said, this IP had potential for a more "Worldly" (Sandbox?) game, and war (PvP).

Its a shame, and no player ship interiors (Other than hubs, and "Boarding" instances)..ill never understand why...there is already a nice precedent. (SWG:JTL).

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 01:54:40 PM

This one screams shameless IP cash in with retread content.
BigBlack
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 02:06:40 PM

I have a modest (but serious) proposal.

Puzzle Pirates is all 2D graphics, right?

I say we do a reskin of Puzzle Pirates to make it Star Trek.

Really, wouldn't all the game mechanics correspond nicely to Star Trek if you think about it?  The ocean is space, the cities are spaceports, islands are planets, battles with cannons = photon torpedoes, etc. etc.  The different job stations on a PP ship correspond nicely to the stations on the bridge in ST.

We then put our reskinned Star Trek Puzzle Pirates up against whatever this half-baked Star Trek Online comes up with in a few years.

I'd bet that ours will not only be more fun, it'll better evoke the feeling of Star Trek than STO will.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 02:09:48 PM by BigBlack »
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 02:50:28 PM

Like Stargate, this would've been an awesome franchise for squad instanced combat.  Every planetary away mission could be a new zone.  Oh wells.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 02:56:13 PM

Is the old AC2 lead dev Citan still working on this?
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 03:43:30 PM

Like Stargate, this would've been an awesome franchise for squad instanced combat.  Every planetary away mission could be a new zone.  Oh wells.
I got the impression the SG-1 game was looking something like that, in fact, but frankly all I've heard is pretty mcuh early-design hand-waving about all the coolness, and some basic artwork.

I'm hoping it'll be that twitchy RPG PvP-fest that schlid so desperately needs, because it's an IP that works for it really well.

Which means it'll probably be all PvE with some PvP thrown in at the last minute.
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 05:05:43 PM

So, I was right. Word.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 07:11:41 PM

I got the impression the SG-1 game was looking something like that, in fact, but frankly all I've heard is pretty mcuh early-design hand-waving about all the coolness, and some basic artwork.

I'm hoping it'll be that twitchy RPG PvP-fest that schlid so desperately needs, because it's an IP that works for it really well.

Which means it'll probably be all PvE with some PvP thrown in at the last minute.

It's an exercise in frustration reading those forums.  CME has been tossing out concept art and advertising it as screenshots, which has for whatever reason, gotten under my skin to no end - I guess mostly because the foozles that make up their forums don't know any better.  Example:

"That's not a screenshot, it's concept art"
"If it's actual artwork to be used in the game, it's a screenshot!"
"No it's not.  It's concept art.  You don't call architectural blueprints a building, do you?"
"But it's a screenshot of concept art!"

I really hate their forums, but for whatever reason, I'm drawn to them like a moth to a flame.

They've advertised a mid/late '08 launch, but Schild seems to think MAYBE '09 to '10.
Drogo
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 08:14:22 PM

It doesn't matter when it launches, 08. 09, 10... it will be a failure.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 08:21:14 PM

That is some funny shit.  Some people are eager to follow in steps of Auto Assault. Shame though, I really liked Star Trek.

"Me am play gods"
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 08:28:02 PM

It doesn't matter when it launches, 08. 09, 10... it will be a failure.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  What little information they've given about the game seems fun.  Sidestepping the idea/exection of said idea thing, if they pull it off the way they say they are designing it, it could be fun.  They don't seem to have alot of developers with MMO experience, which may or may not be a good thing.  Alot of their guys seem to have quite a bit of single player FPS type experience. 
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #25 on: September 28, 2007, 08:36:12 PM

It's like Bonzi Kitten.

"Me am play gods"
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #26 on: September 28, 2007, 09:17:36 PM

Starships = player cities would have been awesome, if only those player city starships could fly around and pew pew.  At first I thought that's what they meant and got exicted.  Then I realized not.  Oh well.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 28, 2007, 09:28:11 PM

I'm gonna start a tribble mine!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 28, 2007, 09:44:37 PM

I don't think anyone's surprised. This whole project was started as a press release, then a staffing up, then the design began. Something like 18 months elapsed between PR and design. So that a major IP that may enjoy some sort of renaissance soon (at least in the hopes of Paramount) devolves into Wookiees Klingons in Space is both predictable and, personally, maybe not all that bad an idea.

The formula works. It provides short and long term goals. Add in Classes to clearly define roles. Add in space flight mechanics and what you may get is something just unique enough to be marketable that way but approachable enough for anyone who's ever liked WoW.

Innovation is for risk-takers, and risk-takers don't generally get massive 40-year-old licenses to play with.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 28, 2007, 09:49:54 PM

I'm only playing if the ship elevators make that nifty open/close sound…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 28, 2007, 10:13:28 PM

Will there be any hairdressing ships and dancing ships that other ships need to watch dance to restore their shields? 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
BigBlack
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 29, 2007, 01:00:43 AM

Innovation is for risk-takers, and risk-takers don't generally get massive 40-year-old licenses to play with.

But that worked out so well the last time!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 29, 2007, 07:30:15 AM

Heh. SWG: F13's very own Godwin's Law :)

I'm only playing if the ship elevators make that nifty open/close sound…

"Well, get the lights to blink in order!"
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #33 on: September 29, 2007, 08:08:54 AM

Will there be any hairdressing ships and dancing ships that other ships need to watch dance to restore their shields? 

I LOL'd.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 30, 2007, 06:07:01 AM

They are taking a bad game... sticking the name "Star trek" on it... and hoping it makes money. Good luck with that. Why the hell can't they make a decent mmo anymore? Do they only hire retards to develop these things anymore?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Star Trek Online - "Boldly going where Everyone has gone before"  
Jump to: