Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:45:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Doctor Strange animated movie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Doctor Strange animated movie  (Read 3392 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

on: August 18, 2007, 09:08:23 PM

Saw it. Not bad. Surprisingly violent and death-filled.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 09:06:12 AM

It wasn't too bad, however since most of these DVD's are one shots, it felt kind of hollow as it was just an origin story.  Just felt that there should have been more, considering he's only Sorcerer Supreme for like the last 10 minutes.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 02:09:03 PM

Yeah I could certainly use some more. I've always liked Doctor Strange. It did feel like "Introducing Doctor Strange!"

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 02:43:46 PM

Yeah I could certainly use some more. I've always liked Doctor Strange. It did feel like "Introducing Doctor Strange!"

I'm not a big comic reader anymore but I used to collect Doc Strange back in the day.  Strange and Moon Knight were two of my faves, a Moon Knight DVD would be kinda sweet.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 08:08:17 PM

Yeah I like the doc too.  I just wish they would expand his spell list a bit more, but keep it consistent where certain spells do certain things every time, even with different writers taking over. 

Maybe a spell that can knock out Thor but the doc has to pay some sort of hideous price to do so.

Thought I heard though that Marvel is preventing writers from fleshing out the spells though.  Haven't read any doc in years.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 11:40:51 AM

I wasn't wild about the film. It followed some of JMS' bad ideas about the character when he did a Dr. Strange title.

I mean, in pure Lee-Ditko form, the character's got the best origin/characterization combo of any of the early Marvel characters, with the exception of Spider-Man. You can do some great storytelling and character work in contrasting the Stephen Strange who was a greedy, alienated doctor and the broken and humbled man who finds true purpose through becoming the Sorcerer Supreme.

The video did some decent work with the spiritual quest part of the story--the whole thing about the wall. But I wasn't wild about the gazillions of sorcerer-superhero types and the monster battles and all that--it kind of crudded up the mythos, and made magic look like just a kind of ordinary superheroics. They did do some good work on giving Mordo a better motivation than, "EVIL!", though.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 06:05:09 PM

I wasn't wild about the film. It followed some of JMS' bad ideas about the character when he did a Dr. Strange title.

Which I believe he adapted from an unused screenplay he wrote for a Dr. Strange movie, so it all comes around full circle.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 04:06:04 PM

I hate it when people mess just to mess. The original origin was fine.

Reminds me of the Hulk gamma bomb changing into a gamma laser. What in 1990 bombs are obsolete? News to me.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 03:01:03 AM

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Doctor Strange animated movie  
Jump to: