Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:30:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: *Official* 2007 College Football Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Official* 2007 College Football Thread  (Read 191164 times)
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: August 09, 2007, 09:39:47 AM

:-D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 10:44:09 AM by SnakeCharmer »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #36 on: August 09, 2007, 09:47:32 AM

Fail.

-Rasix
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 09, 2007, 10:39:33 AM

edit: fixed
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 10:44:21 AM by SnakeCharmer »
trotski
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007, 11:57:02 AM

FYI for all you CFB fans.  I started a NCAA football pick 'em league on Yahoo, if you are interested.  Details can be found in the Fantasy Sports forum.

Cheers!

Xbox live: trotski44
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 14, 2007, 04:03:58 PM

Dunno if Raph is a fan or follows the team; he received is Masters from UA.

Who can say?  I went to Auburn for two years.

Watch your back September eighth :D

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007, 04:12:05 PM

My brother went to UF and half my family went to UGA. They are the type of UGA fans that go to every UF/UGA game since they have graduated.

There is no end to the ribbing that goes on during holidays.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 15, 2007, 08:04:57 AM

Dunno if Raph is a fan or follows the team; he received is Masters from UA.

Who can say?  I went to Auburn for two years.

Watch your back September eighth :D

South Florida? Not a chance in hell of beating Auburn, as much as I'd love to see it happen.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 15, 2007, 08:06:01 AM

They said that two years ago when we stomped Louisville 41-14.

It'll be a game you don't want to miss ;)

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 15, 2007, 08:11:04 AM

They said that two years ago when we stomped Louisville 41-14.

It'll be a game you don't want to miss ;)

Wait. Is that the school with..ah hell...Whats his name...Jim something I think as head coach? 

Green/white uniforms?

I think they've actually snuck up on a few teams and beaten them if it's who I am thinking of.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 15, 2007, 08:15:18 AM

http://www.gousfbulls.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&KEY=&SPID=2981&SPSID=37319

University of South Florida Bulls. Jim Leavitt is the head coach.

Matt Grothe and Mike Ford are going to be really good this year. The defense is perhaps the most underrated part of the team. Last year they would have done better if they would have had a competent quarterback. Now they have a star.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #45 on: August 15, 2007, 10:46:33 AM

South Florida has a huge advantage on Auburn this year. Auburn has lost almost all of its offensive line, its great running back Kenny Irons, and has to rely solely on the playmaking ability of Cox. Also, South Florida sits in second best spoiler position that it can in the schedule, sitting in the middle of Auburns very easy home schedule. Everybody knows that a good football team gets up for their first game, which is against Kansas State. Everybody also knows that you don't want to lose your first SEC matchup, which is against Mississippi State in the 3rd week. Right there in the middle in the 2nd week is South Florida, just begging to get overlooked.

Why will they be such an upset probability against Auburn you ask? Well, for starters, South Florida has two of the best cornerbacks in college football, both of which will be playing in the NFL, Trae Williams and Mike Jenkins. They will make Cox's day very very hard, because you can't throw around them, not to mention that defense records 2.5 sacks per game. They cover both sides of the field like a blanket. Also, I'd take their QB who led the team in passing, rushing, and scoring last year against Cox's talent any day of the week. The dude is a playmaker and he's only a sophomore. If they can get Mike Ford to establish a ground game, Auburn is royally screwed.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 10:49:14 AM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 15, 2007, 12:25:03 PM

I just don't see it.  Auburn is still loaded with more talent than USF, regardless of how much they lost from last year.  Losing Irons hurts, but the kid they have back there now is reported to be even better than Irons was/is.

Sure, there's Cinderella upsets every year, but from top to bottom, across the board, Auburn is better, bigger, faster, and stronger.  Auburn has been knocking the bottom out of recruiting the last couple of years; there's no shortage of talent at the Plains.

Having said that, I will admit that AU under Tubby has on the rare occasion lost games that they should have no problem beating.  But overall, AU beats the teams they should beat, and by pretty wide margins.

Maybe it's the SEC fanboi in me coming out, but I'd be extremely surprised if USF comes within 3 touchdowns of Auburn.  I'd give them a 1 and 5 shot against beating Auburn.

Call it Auburn 41, USF 13.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 15, 2007, 12:32:32 PM

24-21, USF. :D

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #48 on: August 15, 2007, 12:54:42 PM

I just don't see it.  Auburn is still loaded with more talent than USF, regardless of how much they lost from last year.  Losing Irons hurts, but the kid they have back there now is reported to be even better than Irons was/is.

Hey I'm a UGA guy and an SEC backer, but Auburn is thinking the exact way you are as well. They will think USF will be a quick knockdown opponent and roll over for the might that is Auburn. However, Auburn lost to Georgia Tech in '05 in the first game of the year, and Tech went 7-5 on the season losing to teams like NC State and Virginia. They got CRUSHED by Arkansas and Georgia in '06 when they were expected to roll over both teams on their way to a National Title shot.

Auburn screws up against teams they don't respect, SEC or not. They have a long home-stand against 4 unranked opponents before they have to play Florida. They are going to be practicing hard and completely focused on Florida from the get-go. Of all the teams that have a shot at the upset, and one of them will do it, USF is the top choice.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 15, 2007, 02:08:31 PM

Don't forget, USF also beat the 9-1, 7th ranked West Virginia Mountaineers last year in Morgantown.  The Bulls could end up sneaking into the top 25 this year for the first time.  Not bad for a program that's all of 10 years old.

Over and out.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 16, 2007, 03:50:35 AM

They were ranked #20 last year for a brief period after that win :)

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #51 on: August 16, 2007, 11:23:13 AM

Don't get me wrong, if the analysts pick up on it and start touting the program, USF is screwed. That's usually a deathknell to an up and coming program. In the words of Al Pacino in the Devil's Advocate, "No matter how good you are don't ever let them see you coming. That's the gaffe my friend. You gotta keep yourself small. Innocuous. Be the little guy."

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 16, 2007, 01:09:03 PM

What poll was that?  I don't think it was any of the major polls, since the Bulls finished #29 in the final AP poll last year.  Since the West Virginia game was the final game of the regular season and they handily won their bowl game, it seems unlikely they'd have plunged 9 spots.

Over and out.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 16, 2007, 01:29:09 PM

It was before the loss to Rutgers, if I remember correctly. There was a big buzz about it last year.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #54 on: August 16, 2007, 05:35:59 PM

In other random Bama-related news, my beer-wine purchaser gig has me scheduled off for the first three Saturdays of college football season. Apparently, there's no plans to make me work on a Saturday until after the end of the season. This makes me happy.

Also, on a new episode of Sesame Street (38th season, woo), one of the monsters (Telly) is playing with a train set and says, "All aboard for Tuscaloosa . . ."

This post may not make sense, but I blame a distributor meeting wherein I had to sample about ten different wines.

Roll Tide!

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 17, 2007, 07:58:31 AM

Those tasting sessions can leave one pretty messed up if you're a rookie.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 19, 2007, 07:13:19 PM

This thread needs more people spouting their teams' propaganda.

(Or maybe it is a shameless bump because I love college football.)

hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #57 on: August 19, 2007, 07:35:51 PM

Those high school kids just don't give it the old collage try like the pro's. evil

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #58 on: August 19, 2007, 09:28:45 PM

More propaganda you ask? Well alright! Here's why my Georgia Bulldogs are going to win the SEC.

The Good: Our skill players are fantastic. On offense, QB Matt Stafford is coming out of his shell in his sophomore year, and he's not going to be as skittish in the pocket, tossing up interceptions like he did in the middle of last year. He proved he could handle the pressure in the great comeback bowl game last year. Sean Bailey is back out on the field after a knee injury last year as is Mo Massaquoi, and Mark Richt will be gluing the rest of the receivers' hands to the ball in practice if it will cut down on the drops this year. On defense, our veteran secondary should give the opposing quarterbacks nightmares while our relatively younger line works out the kinks in the early part of the season. By the end of the year, both front lines and backfield will be in full-on lockdown mode.

The Bad: We're inexperienced in the trenches.The Offensive line is a bunch of freshman. Four starters are gone this season, and Georgia has always had the luxury of a great O-line, but now we have to rely on them growing up fast in September. On the other side of the ball, the defensive line lost a few players as well, and they will have to learn how to keep the running game in check since a clever coach won't try to bully our strong secondary unless necessary.

The Prediction: We'll go 10-2 in the regular season. Losses will come in a heartbreaking home opener against Oklahoma State and against Florida because we're completely psyched out in that matchup. We'll go 7-1 in the SEC East, edging out Tennessee who loses to us in the head-to-head, and Florida who takes two losses to Tennessee at home and LSU on the road. Georgia goes on to play a one loss LSU team in the SEC Championship as a heavy underdog. UGA will edge out LSU by a touchdown in a extremely defensive grindout game.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 09:32:04 PM by Paelos »

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #59 on: August 19, 2007, 09:53:46 PM

If I read this year's schedule right, that would mean that Georgia, by your math, would go 9-3....since they'd lose to the Tide.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #60 on: August 20, 2007, 08:10:31 AM

If I read this year's schedule right, that would mean that Georgia, by your math, would go 9-3....since they'd lose to the Tide.

Nice try. Saban's not going to turn Alabama into a superpower overnight, and they were (and still are) very deficient in what it takes to win games in the SEC, especially against a team like Georgia. Like, for example, who the hell is going to run the ball? You're not going to turn Alabama into a bomber offense with John Parker Wilson and no running support. The defense will be solid, even though they couldn't sack groceries last year, but the offense is one-dimensional. In a conference known for strong defense on all teams, that kind of offense gets your quarterback killed.

Let them toss the ball up all they want against Georgia. We have one of the best secondaries in the game. We also have 2 senior runningbacks and the best sophomore QB in the country. I expect to be favored going into that match by at least 6 points.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 20, 2007, 09:14:50 AM

Nice try. Saban's not going to turn Alabama into a superpower overnight, and they were (and still are) very deficient in what it takes to win games in the SEC, especially against a team like Georgia. Like, for example, who the hell is going to run the ball? You're not going to turn Alabama into a bomber offense with John Parker Wilson and no running support. The defense will be solid, even though they couldn't sack groceries last year, but the offense is one-dimensional. In a conference known for strong defense on all teams, that kind of offense gets your quarterback killed.

Let them toss the ball up all they want against Georgia. We have one of the best secondaries in the game. We also have 2 senior runningbacks and the best sophomore QB in the country. I expect to be favored going into that match by at least 6 points.

Johns is being converted to Fullback. There's some sort of wierd alchemy going on up there at Tuscaloosa.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 20, 2007, 12:13:28 PM

'Bama will be (mark my words and hold me to it) an offensive powerhouse this year.  They're loaded on offense at all the skill positions (WR, QB, RB, FB), and reports are that the much maligned offensive line from last year has made leaps and bounds improvements over last year*.  Scoring points won't be a problem.  During last weeks scrimmage, Saban told Applewhite to open it (the offense) up.  The result?  650ish total yards of offense and scoring on just about every possesion.  So what does that mean?  One of two things:  The offense is THAT good, or the defense is that bad.  My belief is the offense will dominate teams, the defense is going to need some time to come around.

Defensively?  That's the big question mark.  IMHO, they should have kept Kines around - if something isn't broke, don't try and fix it.  Granted Kines' schemes didn't agree with Saban's defensive philosophy (Kines prefered a 4-3, Saban prefers a 3-4), but I honestly think they should have kept Kines.  He didn't teach fancy schemes, just solid, fundamental defensive football.  And it worked (top ranked defense of close to it for three years).

*Offensive line:  Word around the campfire was (everybody has a source, right? heh) that the offensive line that was recruited wasn't fit for the blocking schemes they were trying to teach them (zone blocking), rather than just straight ahead old school O Line blocking.  Joe Pendry is old school, reportedly one of the best O line coaches out there. 

Schedule:  This years schedule favors 'Bama in a BIG BIG way.  With the exception of Auburn, every conference game of any consequence is home (Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU) is at Tuscaloosa.  If 'Bama gets on a big roll early, the ferver at Title Town will be unparralleled by anything ever seen in Tuscaloosa.  The noncon schedule is a cakewalk with the exception of Florida State. 

Johns is being converted to Fullback. There's some sort of wierd alchemy going on up there at Tuscaloosa.

The way he runs, he needed to be moved to FB, or even converted over to LB to help on the defense.  He's like a freakin' freight train going up the middle...

Terry Grant is getting rave reviews at RB, supposedly the absolute fastest player on the team.

Disclaimer:  I fully admit I'm drinking gallons and gallons of the Saban Kool Aid. 
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 20, 2007, 12:26:44 PM

It's a better  flavor than the old Coach Franchione Kool-Aid.

Side note: I've always loved the local balding curmudgeon reporter's representation of  Coach Fran as a simpering  former pedophile.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: August 20, 2007, 12:36:30 PM

Side note: I've always loved the local balding curmudgeon reporter's representation of  Coach Fran as a simpering  former pedophile.

Oh yah, Neal McCready is freakin' awesome.

WNSP is a freakin' GREAT sports talk radio station.  They don't just cover the homers (Alabama and Auburn), but cover the Southeast as whole really, really well, as well as fairly good national coverage.  They get alot of nationally known people on their show, especially from ESPN.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #65 on: August 20, 2007, 12:54:34 PM

'Bama will be (mark my words and hold me to it) an offensive powerhouse this year.  They're loaded on offense at all the skill positions (WR, QB, RB, FB), and reports are that the much maligned offensive line from last year has made leaps and bounds improvements over last year*.  Scoring points won't be a problem.  During last weeks scrimmage, Saban told Applewhite to open it (the offense) up.  The result?  650ish total yards of offense and scoring on just about every possesion.  So what does that mean?  One of two things:  The offense is THAT good, or the defense is that bad.  My belief is the offense will dominate teams, the defense is going to need some time to come around.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think Alabama can toss the ball up a ton and get a lot of yards on their own retuned defense. I think you're insane if you believe for a second that JPW Airlines will get the job done against Georgia's secondary alone. You have to pull those guys up with a running game to keep them from keying on your skilled receivers all the live long day. Besides, your skill players may be great, but you have the same problem that UGA has: your O-line is mediocre in setting up the run. To quote your own coach after this Saturdays scrimmage:

“I think offensively, we played okay,” said Saban. “We did not dominate like I would like to see us dominate, in terms of dominating the line scrimmage with our offensive line ... Even though John Parker (Wilson) threw a couple of interceptions, I thought he had a good day today. He threw a couple of touchdown passes and did a nice job managing the offense. We need to have more guys that can play with a consistent level of intensity and a sense of urgency, relative to what it takes to play winning football all the time.”

Not exactly shining performances a week before gametime. Also, you are dreaming if you think Terry Grant's impact will be between the hashmarks. He's a fast guy, yes, but his main gains from practices are coming off of passing. The team is so geared around passing it's not even funny. It's going to bite you in the ass, too, because JPW will throw 2 picks a game.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: August 20, 2007, 01:04:27 PM

I'm not worried about UGA, or their secondary. 

We'll revisit this convo on Sept 22 when Uga gets sent back to the pound with his docked tail between his legs after being neutered without benefit of anesthesia. 

Elephants > Bulldogs  :-D

As an aside, the 1994 meeting between the Tide and the Bulldogs is one of the greatest college football games I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQGul2mUrPA
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 20, 2007, 01:22:38 PM

Oh yah, Neal McCready is freakin' awesome.

WNSP is a freakin' GREAT sports talk radio station.  They don't just cover the homers (Alabama and Auburn), but cover the Southeast as whole really, really well, as well as fairly good national coverage.  They get alot of nationally known people on their show, especially from ESPN.

They let me bring up  the Gold Cup and Beckham on the show, even if they did cut me off.  It was a deserved cutoff, I was starting to stammer at the fact they were letting me speak about  such arcane things as Superliga and the Mexican Football league.  Radios were probably clicking off by the hundreds.

They handle the sheer douchebaggery of most Alabama Football fans well.

I"m going to have to rely on you to get up to speed.  I can tell you all about MLS and half the premier league as well as the US nats roster two positions deep, but I forgot  John Parker Wilson's name.

Mobile and ESPN have strong ties, the Senior Bowl, Gottfried is from here, as is Ivan Maisel. It follows that they have connections

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 01:25:13 PM by sigil »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #68 on: August 20, 2007, 02:08:29 PM

I'm not worried about UGA, or their secondary. 

We'll revisit this convo on Sept 22 when Uga gets sent back to the pound with his docked tail between his legs after being neutered without benefit of anesthesia. 

Put down the koolaid for a while, and you would be. Or you could just check the rankings. Laying out palm fronds and letting Saban ride in on a donkey won't save your program this year. Next year, I'd be worried about you as a contender for the SEC West throne. This year, you should consider yourself lucky if you win 9 games, but that won't even matter because LSU isn't going to lose more than one. Your team is gonna get a harsh reality check when Arkansas rolls into town puts on the heavy pressure. Even if they don't win, they'll provide enough film for the Dawgs to exploit your defensive holes. By the time Georgia shows up, you'll wonder exactly what the hell has gone wrong.

GO DAWGS!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 02:11:15 PM by Paelos »

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 20, 2007, 02:51:14 PM

LSU isn't the end all be all everyone thinks they are.  They lost Russell and two receivers to the pros.  I'm STILL not sold on Miles as a coach, and they lost Jimbo Fisher (their OC) to FSU.  They've got holes to fill.  Big holes.  LSU is a 9-3 team, 10-2 at best.  Which is still damn good, but they won't be in the NC game.  Miles tightens up in big games (see Florida, Auburn) and chokes.  Will his new OC make the difference?  Time will tell.  The pressure is on Miles to produce this year.  Mark it down:  He'll choke.  LSU begins it's fall back into mediocrity.  And it's going to happen faster than people expect it. 

UGA is a solid team, and whilst Richt (sp?) has proven himself as one of the better coaches in the country to do as well as he does with what talent he has, the recruiting just isn't there for some reason.

Arkansas has had so much controversy this past year, it's a wonder Nutt knows his own name at this point.  He'll pull a marquee upset win like he does every year and keep his job.  Last year was an aboration.  Other than McFadden, they don't have much in the tank, and their bowl game revealed them to show how one dimensional they are.  Too much reliance on McFadden will result in an injury early in the season.  Teams will stack the line and dare them to pass.

Florida is going to have some growing pains this year.  They were a senior laden team that avoided injuries.  Will be playing lots of freshmen.  Rebuilding year.  Will NOT win the SEC East.

South Carolina is going to really leap forward and surprise people.  They WILL win the SEC East.

Kentucky has a chance to be a good team this year.  Well, 7-5 is GREAT for Kentucky.  They'll surprise a few teams this year.

MSU, Ole Miss, and Vandy will continue to be door mats.

Alabama's schedule is the best they could hope for.  Hooking up a mainline IV of SabanKoolAid....

Western Carolina = Win (42-14)
@ Vandy = Win (35-21)
@ Arkansas = Win (28-21)
Georgia = Win (31-21)
@ FSU = Win (28-24)
Houston = Win (41-14)
@ Mississippi = Win (21-10)
Tenn = Win (17-13)
OPEN WEEK
LSU = Win (24-17)
@ Miss St = Win (28-6)
LaMonroe = Win (45-17)
Auburn = Win (24-20)

Unhooking the KoolAid drip...

Auburn is going to be damn strong this year.  People are making the big mistake of underestimating them.  If Cox stays healthy (he's got some sort of physical ailment that flairs up...Can't remember what it is), they can run the table. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: *Official* 2007 College Football Thread  
Jump to: