Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:53:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: *Official* 2007 College Football Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Official* 2007 College Football Thread  (Read 193374 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #70 on: August 20, 2007, 02:52:39 PM

They could go undefeated and unscored on, but at the end of the day they are still in Alabama  evil

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: August 20, 2007, 03:13:46 PM

They could go undefeated and unscored on, but at the end of the day they are still in Alabama  evil

Anything else is a step down.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #72 on: August 20, 2007, 05:00:26 PM

South Carolina is gonna win the SEC East? If everything fell exactly into place for South Carolina, it's feasible, but I seriously doubt the Vegas odds are better than 12-1. The problem with picking them is that even though they may have a balanced squad this year, they play Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, and Arkansas all on the road. That's really harsh. They'll be lucky to go 2-2 in that stretch, and I don't believe a 6-2 team is going to win the SEC East this year.

You also ignored Tennessee, who outside of Georgia is my betting pick to win the East. If they can hold on to win their home game against Georgia, they'll be unstoppable. However, they haven't beaten the Dawgs in Knoxville since 1999. So, I don't think they will.

As for Alabama, I'll start to become a believer if you can dispatch Arkansas with no real difficulty. If not, you're going to have some major issues against the rest of the top 25 SEC opponents, home or not.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: August 20, 2007, 10:49:28 PM

Ah yah, Tennessee...I knew I forgot someone.

I'm not sure what to think about Tennessee.  Part of me thinks ol' Fat Phil is beginning to wear out his welcome.  He's so frakin' old school that I wonder how well he can relate to todays players.  Despite having Cutcliff back, I still think he's stuck in the 3 yards and a cloud of dust mindset.  I really believe Tenn has been on a downward slope the last couple of years, but admittedly I didn't follow their recruiting the last couple of years.  Granted, they're *still* Tennessee, which means more than LSU who only recently has become what is viewed as a powerhouse.  That being the case, it's going to come down to Tenn and SC for the SEC East.  Tenn plays SC AT SC, which is a loud place to play even when SC was going 1-10 or whatever.  They'll be pumped. 

Edge for the East: South Carolina, by only by a slim margin.

Here's the thing with Alabama that people aren't recognizing...

Saban has more to work with his first year at Alabama than he did when he got to LSU.  Shula and co., while shitty coaches (with the exception of Kines) were damn good recruiters and had an eye for talent.  There is some talent on the 'Bama squad, more than what people are giving them credit for.  ShulaRader just had absolutely no idea how to utilize it on offense.  They were at least smart enough to let Kines do his job.  Hell, I could sit on the couch and tell you exactly what they were going to call on offense 75 percent of the time.

Re UA vs Arkansas:  That's going to be the big litmus test for me as well.  I'm hoping Saban rediscovers that mean streak and puts the Elephants foot on the little piggies necks to send a message (even though it's still only Arkansas).  They've got a scrimmage against Western Carolina (which the starters should be out of the game by midway through the second quarter), a tune up against Vandy, then the Hogs come to town.  If 'Bama rolls them over like they should, all will be right in the world.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: August 21, 2007, 08:10:48 AM

Everyone who isn't in this yet should join. Hurry up and show me your college football prowess. Plus, the league is thin so far, even though it is early.

Plus, I want to gloat over all of you who don't pick USF over Auburn. <3

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #75 on: August 21, 2007, 11:27:35 AM

I signed up, that should be interesting.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: August 21, 2007, 12:15:56 PM

I've found a lucky coin to be quite useful on many picks. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: August 21, 2007, 12:19:31 PM

I've found a lucky coin to be quite useful on many picks. 

Haha, that should work.
Or you could go with whose mascot could beat the other.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: August 21, 2007, 12:26:33 PM

My ex won 2 NCAA pick pools in a 5 year period by choosing the city that she'd rather live in for each matchup.  Mascots aren't a bad option either.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #79 on: August 21, 2007, 12:34:35 PM

Is the league spread or non-spread? I didn't even look.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: August 21, 2007, 12:41:44 PM

Straight up picks with two tie breakers.  Kinda ruins the fun, but makes it ten times easier.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: August 21, 2007, 01:36:24 PM

Straight up picks with two tie breakers.  Kinda ruins the fun, but makes it ten times easier.

Harder is better-er. I would have preferred covering the spread, but this will do.

The first week is a bunch of ranked teams vs. tomato cans.  I expect maybe 1 or 2 upsets and even that is radical thinking.

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #82 on: August 21, 2007, 10:07:10 PM

Meh, I'm less excited then. I mean it's kinda ghey when we're all picking the favorites every week.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: August 21, 2007, 11:21:37 PM

I was mentally drained picking the USC vs. Idaho game. 

Who to chose in the Michigan vs. Appalachian St. game... I'm going to be up all night!

<I'll laugh if I have to eat my words on one of these two games>

-  Mark Twain
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: August 27, 2007, 07:01:44 AM

5 days 6 hrs, 7 minutes, bitches!!!
WayAbvPar

Reply #85 on: August 27, 2007, 08:24:33 AM

More like 4 days and 9 hours!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #86 on: August 27, 2007, 09:02:36 AM

LSU plays this Thursday in the opener right?

WayAbvPar

Reply #87 on: August 27, 2007, 09:36:44 AM

Yeah, I am pretty sure there is a Thursday game. There might even be a Wednesday game! Guess I better get my picks in soon.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: August 27, 2007, 09:50:23 AM

I think so.  But the season doesn't officially start for me until kickoff of the Alabama / West Carolina game.  Everything else is just fluff.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #89 on: August 27, 2007, 03:38:37 PM

I think so.  But the season doesn't officially start for me until kickoff of the Alabama / West Carolina game.  Everything else is just fluff.

Oh for heaven's sake. How the hell can you even CARE about a game that lopsided.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: August 27, 2007, 05:30:45 PM

Oh for heaven's sake. How the hell can you even CARE about a game that lopsided.

HERESY!!! BLASPHEMY!!! EVIL!!!! 

A man says something like that around here, he's liable to get his ass kicked.

Damnit, son!! It's A L A B A M A football!! 
It's our own religion down here.  Well, mine anyways. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #91 on: August 27, 2007, 09:08:32 PM

Yeah, I go to every Georgia home game, shitty or not. I'm out there tailgating, waving the flag and generally acting a like an SEC jackass. Still, I don't give two damns about Western Carolina, ever, on any season that we played them. It's a chance to check out your shitkicker boots. Give me a break. Those are the games I wandered into in the 2nd quarter and was gone by the early 4th so I could get back to my mini-bar at the tailgate.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 09:11:03 PM by Paelos »

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: August 28, 2007, 09:16:14 AM

I'll probably be passed out by halftime.  My liver is out of drinking shape, and the obligatory whiskey drinks will probably kick my ass. 
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #93 on: August 30, 2007, 08:59:33 PM

The Utes get off to a great start by having their new stud JC transfer running back breaking his leg and the QB (4th in the nation in total offense in 2005 before redshirting with an injury last year) dislocating his shoulder....all in the first half.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: August 30, 2007, 10:21:59 PM

The Utes get off to a great start by having their new stud JC transfer running back breaking his leg and the QB (4th in the nation in total offense in 2005 before redshirting with an injury last year) dislocating his shoulder....all in the first half.

OUCH.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #95 on: August 31, 2007, 08:20:07 AM

I remember you being excited last year. I guess we can't expect as much this time around.

Also, LSU Tigers looked strong.

WayAbvPar

Reply #96 on: August 31, 2007, 08:36:23 AM

I discovered a new channel on my cable lineup that was carrying that game. I was hopping back and forth between it and the Seahawks, but then went to bed before I saw the end. That sucks.

You should probably come drown your sorrows in Vegas next weekend  evil

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: September 01, 2007, 11:48:32 AM

Rofl Waffle @ the University of Michigan  :-D

All hail Appalachian State!
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: September 01, 2007, 11:52:04 AM

Not going to happen. UM is going to pull it out :)

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: September 01, 2007, 11:56:26 AM

For their sake, I hope so.

And, there they go :)

Or, Maybe not.

Win of the Season for Appalachian State :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 12:51:47 PM by sigil »
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #100 on: September 01, 2007, 12:59:17 PM

Unreal game.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: September 01, 2007, 01:27:19 PM

WOOT!!!

Nice job, App State!
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: September 01, 2007, 02:15:12 PM

DOH! I was rooting for Michigan in that one.  Now the Bucks won't get nearly the ratings boost at the end of the season for beating them, and effete West Coasters and Southerners will keep whining about how their leagues are superior to the Big Ten because of their fancy speed and forward passes and horseless carriages.  Bad day for the conference.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: September 01, 2007, 02:23:34 PM

DOH! I was rooting for Michigan in that one.  Now the Bucks won't get nearly the ratings boost at the end of the season for beating them, and effete West Coasters and Southerners will keep whining about how their leagues are superior to the Big Ten because of their fancy speed and forward passes and horseless carriages.  Bad day for the conference.

It's not a whine if it's fact.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: September 01, 2007, 02:28:30 PM

It's not a whine if it's fact.

I hate to say this.  In fact it pains me to say it.

But...

OWNED.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: *Official* 2007 College Football Thread  
Jump to: