Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:58:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Fuck Vitamin Water 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fuck Vitamin Water  (Read 19072 times)
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 31, 2007, 11:30:58 AM

Spring is just water that naturally flows to the surface, not really that complicated.  Most of the water I get is artesian, which is it's drawn from a well tapped at a low point in an aquifer so relies on natural pressure.  It gets confusing when you get brands like Abita Springs water, which is actually artesian water but is named after the town Abita Springs (though they do have springs there).

Purified is just filtered tap.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 31, 2007, 01:14:16 PM

I just drink tap.  When I had a condo I put an under-the-sink filter in and it did wonders.  Really though, after drinking tap for so long, bottled water tastes like crap to me.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 31, 2007, 01:30:56 PM

I just mix my tap water with sugar free kool-aid. I can't taste how bad it tastes.

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 31, 2007, 02:41:34 PM

Emergen-c makes everything better.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39 on: July 31, 2007, 03:04:30 PM

For the most part, I believe the draw of bottled water is from the convenience, not so much that it is any healthier for you or not.
A lot of people do think bottled water is "purer" than tap water despite the fact that there are stringent quality standards for municipal tap water supplies and none, nada, zero, zilch for bottled water.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #40 on: July 31, 2007, 03:05:48 PM

Emergen-c makes everything better.

Sounds like something for fiddling your piss tests.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #41 on: July 31, 2007, 03:21:36 PM

Last time I was in AZ visiting the wife's family I drank tap.  I didn't get montezuma'd.  Water pipes out west are going to be far superior to east where some of them are still wood in the old 150+ year-old areas.

If you have problems, it's probably because you've drank bottled so long your body's gone and let the natural microbes die off.  Even water from 'shitty pipes' in the US is better than the crap our ancestors drank from those "pure mountain streams". (Full of Cholera, fecal matter and other bad stuff.. )

Note: I don't advocate drinking foreign tap, only because you're so damn removed from your 'normal' environ and who knows what their purification is like.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #42 on: July 31, 2007, 03:27:40 PM

Last time I was in AZ visiting the wife's family I drank tap.  I didn't get montezuma'd.

Of course, most times water in the desert goes through a higher filtration process than normal water, but we don't drink it because it still tastes like shit.

Nobody said it'd give you the cancer.

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 31, 2007, 05:29:30 PM

I filter my water through Lucky Strikes before I drink it.

It's delicious and hardcore. Rock Out

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: July 31, 2007, 06:07:27 PM

That is, most definately hardcore.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #45 on: July 31, 2007, 06:49:54 PM

If you then smoked more Lucky Strikes while huffing gas, you'd be at maximum hardcore, I'd guess.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #46 on: July 31, 2007, 07:01:24 PM

I live in the place that has the best municipal water in America.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #47 on: July 31, 2007, 07:11:13 PM

I don't trust wine tasters to judge the taste of water.

"It has a nice bit of acidity at the tip of the tongue followed by a nice roundness finished with a bit of sweetness at the back of the mouth..."
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #48 on: July 31, 2007, 08:58:45 PM

You missed the nose. No wine snob would go right for the tongue without some nasal foreplay. Let Jilly explain:

"This one has a fantastic blackcurranty nose. And now I’m getting sweaty leather, the musk of an old man in a field of wild grasses beneath the shade of cherry blossom with an explosion of bay and nutmeg spicyness”

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: July 31, 2007, 08:59:25 PM

I live in the place that has the best municipal water in America.

My city is a runner up.  Neat.  Could explain why I don't get what all the fuss is about the taste of tap, or the need for filters.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Ezdaar
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 01, 2007, 08:28:05 AM

I drink the tap water in Phoenix, it's perfectly fine but tastes like dirt. Running it through a Pur filter first does away with the dirt taste. It's certainly much better than the heavily chlorinated places.
schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: August 01, 2007, 08:33:22 AM

I've never liked Tap Water, ever. But I've only lived in Miami, Richmond, and College Park MD before Phoenix. Tap water in all of these places tastes like dick.

Well, maybe not dick, I can't judge that.

But I looooooooooooooooooove the water we have delivered.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 01, 2007, 08:41:55 AM

Some areas bottled water dosn't make much sense. In others like where my mom lives you pretty much have to if you actually want to drink water. Its not that the water up by her would be harmful as it is fully filterd but she lives near about 4 active/inactive iron mines. The water from the taps around there is pretty murky and you can just taste the iron in the water. It has a very very metallic tang and so most up there go with bottled water. Sure its tap water but there is tap water and then there is tap water  really depends where your local water source is.

Around my place the tap water is fine even in my old apartment building I saved a lot of money per month when I stopped drinking bottled water.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 01, 2007, 09:01:57 AM

I live in Florida, namely the Tampa Bay area. I know people who live in Zephyrhills, Florida --- yes, the place that bottles Zephyrhills Natural Spring Water --- that buy the same stuff they get out of their tap. It never ceases to amaze me how stupid some people are. If your pipes are a wreck that's one thing, but all of your god damn water comes from the same fucking springs people.

I just filter my stuff through Brita :P

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #54 on: August 01, 2007, 09:19:10 AM

You missed the nose. No wine snob would go right for the tongue without some nasal foreplay. Let Jilly explain:

"This one has a fantastic blackcurranty nose. And now I’m getting sweaty leather, the musk of an old man in a field of wild grasses beneath the shade of cherry blossom with an explosion of bay and nutmeg spicyness”

I bet she loves Pollack.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 01, 2007, 09:25:18 AM

If you then smoked more Lucky Strikes while huffing gas, you'd be at maximum hardcore, I'd guess.

There are impressionable children on this forum that have issues huffing things. If we could refrain from giving them ideas, that'd be great.

That guy only has 30some posts and he's a goddamn legend.

Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 01, 2007, 09:30:59 AM

Dentists love bottled water.

It's good for business.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #57 on: August 01, 2007, 09:55:33 AM

I lived in the Mid East for 12 years and all we drank was bottled water (because of the disease).  So I'm used to drinking bottled water.

When we moved to the states, all the water tasted like ass.  So we got like 4 britas so that we didn't have to wait for one to fill up.  Recently moved to Butt-Fuck East Maryland, and I gotta say, the tap water tastes perfectly fine.

Edit: As for vitamin water/flavored water, it all tastes like dirty water imo.  Basically like dirnking a glass of OJ and then the next day using the same glass for water.  Tastes just orange enough to make me crinkle.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #58 on: August 01, 2007, 10:28:55 AM

I drink vitamin water. It essentially came along at the right time for me.

I have a very high energy job and put down a lot of carbohydrates to be able to labor non-stop for hours and hours and hours.

I also end up putting down a lot of sugar, but I only need so much. Soda's great and all, but that's too much. It's also high fructose corn syrup nearly in every product, and it's hard to find Boylan's or mess'kin coke. Also, I cannot drink those sugar substitutes. It tastes so bad to me that it hurts.

Vitamin water has some sugar. Just enough flavor. Some vitamins and vitavetavegamins. Variety. And it's sold on the cheap here.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #59 on: August 01, 2007, 12:33:21 PM

It's good for business.

I don't let some Brits in Canada tell me what to drink.  Fluoride... didn't anyone see Doctor Strangelove?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 01, 2007, 01:39:54 PM

It's good for business.

I don't let some Brits in Canada tell me what to drink.  Fluoride... didn't anyone see Doctor Strangelove?

Brits telling us how to take care of our teeth?

Huh.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 01, 2007, 01:48:51 PM

Careful, Ironwood may blow up.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 01, 2007, 02:17:42 PM

We're all gonna get called fatties now fer shure.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 01, 2007, 05:20:52 PM

The tap water's fine in any first-world country.  Canada, England, France, Japan, I've tossed back their tap water with nary a concern and nary a regret afterwards.  Any weird things living in the local water supplies are long dead from their purification systems, so should be perfectly safe to drink.  It's once you start hitting countries with old or substandard water purification that you can regret the hell out of it.  Soviet countries, Mexico, any tiny island country that isn't rich from tourism, you start finding water treatment plants way older than you are and then it's bottled water time.  And once you hit the third world you may's well dig a hole and make a solar distiller to recycle your own urine.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #64 on: August 01, 2007, 08:44:58 PM

The tap water's fine in any first-world country.  Canada, England, France, Japan, I've tossed back their tap water with nary a concern and nary a regret afterwards.  Any weird things living in the local water supplies are long dead from their purification systems, so should be perfectly safe to drink.

Not entirely true.  I have an uncle who's a civil engineer at EBMUD (the water department for the east SF Bay) and lives in SF.  He flatly refuses to drink the tap water from his SF home, even filtered, because of all the deficiencies in the SFWD's treatment process compared to EBMUD's.  Specifically, SFWD is apparently heavily dependent on chlorination to kill microorganisms (which is why SF water tastes like it came from a swimming pool), but chlorination doesn't necessarily kill everything.  (EBMUD does a lot more stuff involving micro-filtration and biological goop, the details of which I now forget despite having heard a number of lectures on it.)

Of course, in all the years I drank SF tap water I never got giardia or any of the other hypothetical nasties that could survive in SF water, but I do know that the tap water in the East Bay tastes a hell of a lot better than SF's.  I suspect it would have fared pretty well in that taste test.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #65 on: August 01, 2007, 09:13:58 PM

Not entirely true.  I have an uncle who's a civil engineer at EBMUD (the water department for the east SF Bay) and lives in SF.  He flatly refuses to drink the tap water from his SF home, even filtered, because of all the deficiencies in the SFWD's treatment process compared to EBMUD's.  Specifically, SFWD is apparently heavily dependent on chlorination to kill microorganisms (which is why SF water tastes like it came from a swimming pool), but chlorination doesn't necessarily kill everything.  (EBMUD does a lot more stuff involving micro-filtration and biological goop, the details of which I now forget despite having heard a number of lectures on it.)

Of course, in all the years I drank SF tap water I never got giardia or any of the other hypothetical nasties that could survive in SF water, but I do know that the tap water in the East Bay tastes a hell of a lot better than SF's.  I suspect it would have fared pretty well in that taste test.
I don't smell or taste the chlorination anymore, like I mentioned above. Does SF water still taste that way?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #66 on: August 01, 2007, 11:15:36 PM

I don't smell or taste the chlorination anymore, like I mentioned above. Does SF water still taste that way?

Better than it used to be, inasmuch as I no longer feel physically ill from the chlorine after a glass of SF tap water.  Still not as good as the East Bay stuff.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 02, 2007, 06:45:01 AM

I visited the Bay Area last spring and was definitely warned by many people not to drink the tap water for that reason.

The thing that surprised me most about that entire area is the obsession with all-natural, free-range, no-hormone stuff. It's totally not like that on the other coast. I work in a grocery store here to pay the bills and we have a little four foot by four foot section with all-natural stuff. Just walking into Trader Joe's was something amazing to me.

I suppose I'm not anything like most other people though -- I pay attention to grocery stuff :P

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #68 on: August 02, 2007, 08:33:20 AM

I pay attention to grocery-stuff and try to avoid things which are processed or whatnot.  It's hard to do, though.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 02, 2007, 11:34:06 AM

We have bottled water service here at home (NW Chicago suburb) but that's because we can tell when our water supplies getting low here in town.  If there hasn't been any rain in a long while, the water gets an odor and a bad taste to it.  I drink tap when I'm brushing my teeth and have no problems showering in it, but drinking it just because I'm thirsty is not going to happen.  We tend to keep filled bottles (from occasionally buying bottled water when we are out) in the fridge to grab.

Growing up I had no problems drinking tap water at my parents house, although my husband doesn't like it much because it's harder than he's used to.  When we go visit, I drink from the tap without a second thought.  Same when we were visiting the bro-in-law's family in Washington state - tap water was just fine.  And personally, using filters on the faucet or those pitchers was more hassle than benefit, so we stopped and got the bottle service.  It works for us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Fuck Vitamin Water  
Jump to: