Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:16:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Watchmen Casting Announced 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Watchmen Casting Announced  (Read 111985 times)
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #280 on: October 23, 2008, 09:06:17 AM

There was a "secret" screening in Portland last Thursday, and of course I didn't have a chance in hell of scoring tickets.  But a friend of a friend had nothing but good things to say, although the effects did not look finished.  My friend wouldn't describe the ending to me, but would only say that he thought it was a cop out, for what that's worth, but he's a comic snob who doesn't think the movie can exist without completely fucking it all up.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #281 on: October 24, 2008, 04:59:05 AM

Fuck yeah.  awesome, for real

If this film doesn't live up to the trailers, it will break my heart.

Fantastic poster too.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #282 on: November 11, 2008, 02:15:01 AM

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #283 on: November 12, 2008, 09:13:32 PM

Yahoo Movies is debuting a new trailer tomorrow at 5PM PT.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #284 on: November 13, 2008, 04:45:37 PM

New trailer is up now.

Couple of nitpicks; Dr. Manhattan still needs some special effects work done on any scene where it shows him talking, and Rorschach sounds a little too much like Batman in The Dark Knight.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #285 on: November 14, 2008, 07:17:42 AM

New trailer is up now.

Couple of nitpicks; Dr. Manhattan still needs some special effects work done on any scene where it shows him talking, and Rorschach sounds a little too much like Batman in The Dark Knight.

Gonna be hard not to make him sound like Batman, after Dark Knight was such a hit. I didn't mind the effects on Dr. Manhattan during the speaking scenes. They might have given away too much with the Comedian's death scenes at the beginning.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #286 on: November 14, 2008, 08:44:26 AM

Rorschach is a pipsqueak trying to sound really tough.  Doing the Dark Knight raspy voice makes sense.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: November 14, 2008, 10:54:19 AM

From the trailer, it sounds like "Watchmen" refers to the main characters as a group like the JLA.  swamp poop

Rorschach says someone's killing off "costumed heroes" instead of masks.

It sounds like Ozy's taking over Captain Metropolis' role in terms of creating a new team.

Admittedly these are small changes, but they are annoying. Look, it's not like the comic had no weaknesses, but IMO these weren't one of them.

Turning them into the JLA and putting Ozy and the Comedian in direct conflict (ok, pure speculation on my part) diminishes the story.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #288 on: November 14, 2008, 11:09:48 AM

Ozy did lead a JLA type outfit... for all the 10 minutes it lasted.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: November 14, 2008, 11:27:21 AM

If you're referring to the Crimebusters, that was Metropolis' idea. If you're referring to something else, I don't remember it at all. Ohhhhh, I see.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #290 on: November 14, 2008, 01:16:09 PM

DOH, you're right, it was the Capt. I was thinking of Ozy looking at the map after Comedian torched it like he had set up the idea.

I know that the Watchmen title was given to the collective group of masks by the rioters. Maybe they just adopted it a little more literally than the book did.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #291 on: November 14, 2008, 11:47:55 PM

Eh, seems like a marketting/exec decision.  "Watchmen, ok.  What, they're not called The Watchmen? I'm confused. Perhaps they should call themselves the Watchmen."

They're never called "Watchmen" at any point (to the best of my memory, friend is borrowing).  There's the graffiti, where "who watches the watchmen" is scrawled.  I don't remember if it's in English or Latin.

I can live with it, but it'll grate on me.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 11:50:03 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: November 17, 2008, 12:32:58 PM

Anyone know what the music is on the trailer? The first one had Smashing Pumpking but this I don't recognize...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 12:35:15 PM by nurtsi »
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #293 on: November 17, 2008, 02:56:03 PM

All they'd need to do is change any reference to the Minutemen to the Watchmen.  That doesn't seem TOO grating to me.
schad
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: November 17, 2008, 05:00:07 PM

Anyone know what the music is on the trailer? The first one had Smashing Pumpking but this I don't recognize...

First song is Philip Glass, from Koyaanisqatsi iirc
Second song is Muse, Take a Bow.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: November 19, 2008, 01:32:51 AM

Wasn't feeling the trailer. I'm afraid my original comments about it turning into a more typical super-hero fest complete with matrix-style slo-mo scenes may turn out right.

Also ending changes sound strange and Snyder's comments don't make much sense.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: November 19, 2008, 11:04:44 AM

Wasn't feeling the trailer. I'm afraid my original comments about it turning into a more typical super-hero fest complete with matrix-style slo-mo scenes may turn out right.

Also ending changes sound strange and Snyder's comments don't make much sense.

That's how I felt. If this had been the first trailer released  (and I read that quote) I would have been  Mob  instead of  awesome, for real Now I'm sort of on the fence, but hoping it will still be good.
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: December 18, 2008, 06:38:33 PM

Looks like the lawsuit's caused the release date to be pushed back another 2 weeks.

Edit: Actually, it might not be.  The trial has been pushed back, but every other site reporting this still says that the release date hasn't changed (yet).  http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00020655.html
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 06:45:11 PM by Evil Elvis »
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: December 25, 2008, 09:19:02 PM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: December 26, 2008, 03:42:20 AM

That new trailer is a mish mash messy fuckup.

Sure, I'm still excited about the film, but that trailer was awful.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: December 26, 2008, 03:56:30 AM

Either that judge is retarded or your law is. You can sit on a license like that for over 20 years without doing anything to use it and your claim still is valid?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #301 on: December 26, 2008, 11:35:00 AM

Either that judge is retarded or your law is. You can sit on a license like that for over 20 years without doing anything to use it and your claim still is valid?
If your rights to it haven't expired, yes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #302 on: December 26, 2008, 12:15:53 PM

Trust me when I saw it's our copyright laws. They are retarded beyond words.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #303 on: December 26, 2008, 12:18:34 PM

Hey, if the Copyright laws aren't there to defend the rights of International Megacorps whose entire business model is centered around a half dozen or so 90 year old "cultural icons" then what ARE they there for?

Clearly you just hate America.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: January 26, 2009, 09:53:24 PM

New trailer, at least new to me…

NBS Nightly News with Ted Philips, March 11th 1970
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd5cInmK6LQ

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #305 on: January 27, 2009, 01:14:30 AM

New trailer, at least new to me…

NBS Nightly News with Ted Philips, March 11th 1970
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd5cInmK6LQ

I linked it a week ago here. It's from the viral advertising site that appeared some time ago - New Frontiersman.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: February 03, 2009, 01:41:38 AM

Whelp, I finally picked up and read Watchmen.  That was really, really, really well-written.

Something concerns me, though: the movie trailers show what looks like something very close to the book, and while that is going to be unbelievably  awesome, for real if that is the case, it's also going to mean a lot of people, probably critics too, are going to hate the movie because of it's bleakness, especially with any ending where the whole of mankind is shown as fundamentally broken due to tribalism and can only sustain itself through lies, or where the two most interesting protagonists also have the saddest outcomes with one being killed to protect said lies, and the other self-banished from his home due to having no emotional connect left to preserve.

What an awesome book, what a hopefully-awesome movie, but I'm sure I'll hate ever trying to explain to people wanting another dark knight or Iron Man why Watchmen is so awesome and that they need to shut the fuck up with their belly-aching.

Also, I can't help but think the legal-bullshit shenanigans Fox pulled was planned all along once Warner started planning the movie so that they wouldn't have to actually pay for the production, since it's a real possibility that Watchmen will not do that well at the box-office.  It would be a very Fox-thing to do, and I actually get angry thinking about it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #307 on: February 03, 2009, 09:13:34 AM

it's also going to mean a lot of people, probably critics too, are going to hate the movie because of it's bleakness, especially with any ending where the whole of mankind is shown as fundamentally broken due to tribalism and can only sustain itself through lies, or where the two most interesting protagonists also have the saddest outcomes with one being killed to protect said lies, and the other self-banished from his home due to having no emotional connect left to preserve.

Fuck them in their tiny earholes. People who do not like Watchmen for that reason are mouth-breathing twats who need to keep their muffin hatches shut and are unable to process art.

ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: February 03, 2009, 09:17:05 AM

Oh, I agree.  I just know it'll be frustrating for a well-done adaptation to not get what's due.  I hate people.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #309 on: February 03, 2009, 09:25:13 AM

Fuck them in their tiny earholes. People who do not like Watchmen for that reason are mouth-breathing twats who need to keep their muffin hatches shut and are unable to process art.

But when those people are the majority...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #310 on: February 03, 2009, 09:26:12 AM

No one ever said the majority wasn't mouth-breathing cunts.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #311 on: February 03, 2009, 09:30:27 AM

It seems like we've had a much stronger trend of late toward movies that don't have warm fuzzy happy endings, or even satisfying conclusions.  I don't think that in itself would be sufficient for people (especially critics, who usually want to avoid seeming mainstream or unhip) to hate it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: February 03, 2009, 10:23:25 AM

A potential problem I see is, if the movie is generally faithful to the comic, how people are going to react to seeing a mini episode of Lost in the middle of the movie? Actually, better make that "several mini-episodes". I love the comic, but as much as bash Hollywood for deviating from the original source this is one time I think an exception should be made.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #313 on: February 03, 2009, 10:30:26 AM

Already covered -- the Black Freighter stuff is going to be an extra on the DVD, but will not be part of the main movie.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: February 03, 2009, 10:45:23 AM

I meant the origin/background stories, specifically of Rorschach, Dr. Manhattan, the Comedian, and the Silk Spectre. Those elements are very important to the overall story (and IMO the very best bits of the comic), but I don't think telling those stories in flashback form will translate well on film.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Watchmen Casting Announced  
Jump to: