Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:02:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Take a picture once a day, whether you need to or not 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 108 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Take a picture once a day, whether you need to or not  (Read 1138331 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3570 on: January 17, 2019, 05:10:24 PM

Going to see if I can retroactively post a decent photo-a-day from my New Year's vacation.  

Coral Beach, Isle of Skye:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:56:35 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3571 on: January 17, 2019, 05:23:17 PM

Thumbs up!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3572 on: January 17, 2019, 11:52:42 PM

Hogmanay in Portree:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:56:55 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3573 on: January 18, 2019, 11:23:22 AM

Still on Skye - the Fairy Pools:

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:57:11 AM by Samwise »

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #3574 on: January 18, 2019, 11:50:03 AM

Sam, none of the pictures show up for me.

===============

Edit: In case someone else has the same issue: Followed the links directly and re-hosted them on Imgur for you. See spoiler.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:57:34 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3575 on: January 18, 2019, 11:58:23 AM

Updated my links, thanks.  Worked fine in my browser  0.0 DPS

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3576 on: January 18, 2019, 01:30:09 PM

View from the base of the Old Man of Storr:

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3577 on: January 18, 2019, 04:49:04 PM

Love that. What a beautiful place.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3578 on: January 18, 2019, 05:07:19 PM

By the shores of Loch Fyne, where we stayed while making our way from Skye to Islay:

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3579 on: January 18, 2019, 06:35:43 PM

Self explanatory:

And this was the best picture I was able to get of the herd of red deer we passed as we sped to the morning ferry:

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3580 on: January 19, 2019, 07:57:50 AM

King Tut's in Glasgow:

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3581 on: January 21, 2019, 04:01:02 PM

Stonework in a Norma-era English church (AD 1100 ish):

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3582 on: January 30, 2019, 06:07:57 AM

I did some portrait shooting again recently. Most are NSFW so I put a few in the T&A thread, here's one of the safe ones.

IMG_3527-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Chinese New Year! A three storey mirrored dragon, because why not?

IMG_3681.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Air pollution and sunsets.

IMG_3496-Edit-3.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3583 on: January 31, 2019, 01:53:42 PM

I am really feeling a need to get out for a day and do some pictures. It's partly that I'm busy, it's partly that I feel a bit bored with some of the things I usually shoot. I need to think of a new theme or subject.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #3584 on: February 01, 2019, 01:49:51 PM

I do primarily video work, with still photography beyond "shit, I need a photo of this or I'll forget what the hell I was looking at" relegated mostly to vacations or family events.

That said, while I love my iPhone XS for basic family photos, I'm travelling to China with my daughter in June, Washington DC in July, and Spain/Portugal next year and it really feels like I should do more than just a phone.

I have a Nikon D5200 I haven't used in way longer than I should, with 18-55 and 55-300mm lenses.  No filters, but it's served me well in the past regardless (but I would like to get a polarizer and maybe a neutral density.)  The batteries for this have gone missing somewhere, but that shit is easy to replace.

My major concern (being really fucking lazy) is that it lacks wifi, which would be handy for transferring my photos to my ipad pro during the trip(s) without cabling the two devices, and it's generally just almost 10 years old at this point (but the glass is in good shape)

I'm leaning towards replacing it with a D7200 for around $1000, which will get me a decent bundle of phone, lenses, filters, monopod, etc.  I'm not interested in shooting video with this, btw.  I do enough of that at work.  Plus I could "borrow" one of the Sony A7S's from the office, but I don't want to be responsible for replacing it if it should go missing/broken/etc.

Now: Given that I'm thinking of purchasing an entire consumer-range bundle anyway, I'm not married to the Nikkor lenses.  If anyone has strong feelings (I know the Canon/Nikon debate can launch blood feuds in some cases) I'd be interested in opinions on current camera packages in the $1000-1500 range.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3585 on: February 01, 2019, 09:01:02 PM

If you primarily want it for traveling and the capability to pull SOOC jpegs from the camera to your phone and have them in a publishable state is important to you, I'd tell you to check the range of either the Fuji mirrorless or the micro four-thirds ecosystems. Your budget would get you a nice body - something like an Olympus OM-D 10 MKii with 14-42 and a 40-150mm lenses would come in at about half your max budget, would be smaller, lighter and way more capable than the D7200 in most of the ways that matter to you.

On the Fuji side an XT-20 with the (very good) 16-50mm kit lens would be an equivalent amount of camera at the same smaller, lighter form factor and roughly the same price. Fuji in particular have really great jpeg output with the ability to throw on film emulation in camera for various cool effects. The micro four-thirds option would let you use either Panasonic or Olympus gear interchangably which gives you a huge range of possible lens options. Fuji isn't really lacking in the lens lineup but they are a little bit more expensive in general.

The rest of your budget can go on extra lenses, a nice tripod or some good ND or CPL filters.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #3586 on: February 02, 2019, 07:05:46 AM

Thanks Iain, I’ll look into that.

I actually want to import into the pad for image processing.  Currently I’m using Affinity Photo, which is a nice Photoshop substitute, although since I have a Creative Cloud license I might switch over to actual ipad Photoshop when they release it.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3587 on: February 13, 2019, 08:28:27 AM

This thread never ceases to depress me because I travel the world constantly and see amazing things, but I just can never take the time to have the right gear and patience to take amazing photos of what I see.

I'll try to be better about posting the crazy things I see, but here is a photo a friend took of me in Laos, from the exact same model of iPhone I have.  Just looking back, I really love this shot.  Laos is an amazing country to travel through.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3588 on: February 14, 2019, 04:48:50 AM

Love that light.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #3589 on: March 21, 2019, 03:42:17 PM

Took this with the new "budget" phone while on a walk. Got to admit at first I didn't feel like uploading it because I thought it didn't look as good as the photos I take with my ILCs. But that's not the point of photography, or this thread!

2019-03-09 Stave Hill by Aled Moses, on Flickr
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3590 on: March 21, 2019, 08:30:22 PM

Nice, I'm surprised that the phone doesn't have some auto-straightening algorithm to fix the wide-angle distortion at the edges though.

I've been playing with cyanotype prints recently. I posted a few NSFW ones in the art thread, but here's a sfw one from yesterday.

Cyanotype004.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

It's a fun process to play with.

I did a shoot with a model a couple of weeks ago where the theme was lines and shapes. She was super good, first time I've paid a model and it was 100% worth it.
I'm still working through the digital images and I have three rolls of 120 film from it too that I need to process.

IMG_4634-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_4603.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 05:17:48 AM by IainC »

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #3591 on: March 23, 2019, 05:22:34 PM

Very nice, I think the theme comes out really well. On your question - the phone is a Xiaomi Mi A2 running Android One and using the stock camera app. I've not done any research but that might be a reason.

Had a family break in Washington State over Christmas, spent some time in the Cascades and around Seattle.

2018-12 Washington State 001 by Aled Moses, on Flickr

2018-12 Washington State 002 by Aled Moses, on Flickr

2018-12 Washington State 010 by Aled Moses, on Flickr

2018-12 Washington State 012 by Aled Moses, on Flickr

2018-12 Washington State 013 by Aled Moses, on Flickr
schild
Administrator

Reply #3592 on: March 23, 2019, 09:07:33 PM

Iain, cyanotypes are dope. I've considered picking up a few portfolios but established artists charge far too much and portfolios tend to have like 50% shit I like and 50% shit I don't want at all.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3593 on: March 25, 2019, 09:53:04 AM

I was supposed to partner with our historical society to create a piece with a reference taken from their archives. I found this old copper kettle that is important to our region (ie I could print money from prints of a well-done version). I've left out a bunch of problems I've had with their staff just to get the correct item. We were not allowed to bring our cameras or in any way take the reference shot myself. So I was feeling pretty crappy about the project at that point.

I got in the photo from the 'photographer', and instantly remembered why I had been lobbying so hard to take my own shots. I had spoken with him about photography a couple years ago, as he's known as a popular local photographer (he enters shots that are about on par with what I take with my phone camera on vacation, with poorer composition). I was shocked when he said he uses the kit camera and shoots everything in auto mode. So I got a shitty reference photo that is out of focus, incorrectly lit and over-exposed. Since it's a copper kettle, that means there is a massive burnout highlight...that I can't fix because he also shoots in jpg.

What the fuck.

Getting access to have him reshoot with me on the premises is a huge hassle because of the constant roadblocks from these folks. Fuck them at this point. I was going to donate my time to do a free portrait in oils to replace one that was stolen, but they can go fuck themselves with their great-grandpappy's dick. aintnobodygottimeforthat.gif
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3594 on: March 25, 2019, 09:57:25 AM

Hey Iain, can you send me the high-res versions of those two black & white figures? I can't download them from your Flick :)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3595 on: March 29, 2019, 03:41:27 PM

Cape of Good Hope landscapes.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3596 on: March 30, 2019, 05:09:20 AM

Some animals.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #3597 on: March 31, 2019, 09:28:59 AM

That cloud formation rolling off the cliffs is amazing.

Another photo from the backlog - kind of weird where I'm at the point where I'm pretty split over many of my photos in the backlog.

2018-04-02 The Academy Parakeet by Aled Moses, on Flickr

Had possibly the first nice weekend of Spring here in London. Tried to get a nice photo when I was in the park but it was difficult with the mid-day sun.

2019-03-30 Brockwell Park by Aled Moses, on Flickr
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3598 on: March 31, 2019, 08:26:28 PM

Latest in the shapes series from a few weeks ago. I've been super busy with other stuff so I've been working through these very slowly. I only got around to developing the film from this shoot last night and I still have 50-60 digital shots to work up.

IMG_4651-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 05:19:26 AM by IainC »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3599 on: April 07, 2019, 03:32:19 PM

More animals, all elephant edition.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3600 on: April 07, 2019, 03:33:54 PM

Hey, Iain, your Flickr links are broke. Might be that the changes to the site broke them?
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3601 on: April 08, 2019, 05:31:14 AM

Hey, Iain, your Flickr links are broke. Might be that the changes to the site broke them?

I think it's because I pushed them to republish due to some issues with changing safety filters. I replaced the links with the new ones.

I finally finished that set, ended up with 98 images in total, 29, medium format (out of 36 that I shot which is way, way more than my usual keeper rate), 2 cyanotype prints and the rest digital.

Here are a couple more safe ones. You can see the whole album if you click through but as it's marked as moderate, you need to be signed into Flickr to see it.

IMG_4822-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Gwendolynne005-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_4818-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Some pictures that aren't of naked ladies for a change now!

I took a trip on the Death Railway up to Kanchanaburi and Nam Tok, it's the railway that was built by POW slave labour during WWII and it crosses the Bridge on the River Kwai.

IMG_5118.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5153.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5030.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 09:58:36 AM by IainC »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3602 on: April 08, 2019, 02:39:04 PM

Like the shadow/light on the women. The knife is an odd element, not sure it works.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3603 on: April 09, 2019, 06:52:09 AM

Like the shadow/light on the women. The knife is an odd element, not sure it works.

I think it's good, kept in check. I have a similar shoot from one of my online classes and at some point the photographer decided the nude needed red high heels. At one point he just started taking pics of the heels...in a life drawing shoot. No idea why the school kept those in the series!

I have a full-res copy Iain sent me from that series that I'm hoping to turn into a charcoal 18x24ish piece this year. The guy I work with who owns a modernist gallery would love the abstract elements. I'm pretty sure it will be in his gallery next year :D He wants some of my stuff, but it's hard to find that common ground between us.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3604 on: April 09, 2019, 10:03:17 AM

What I was trying to do was to use shapes to break up the lines and add some hard lines to the more organic curves of the model. I tried not to turn it into a murderbitch style shoot, the knife is there because it's a simple but powerful shape. There are a few with one of my cameras that happens to look like a rifle too for the same reason.

IMG_4700-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 108 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Take a picture once a day, whether you need to or not  
Jump to: