Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:34:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Take a picture once a day, whether you need to or not 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 108 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Take a picture once a day, whether you need to or not  (Read 1138374 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3465 on: May 28, 2018, 09:46:02 AM

In the reptile room of the band house, we used to have a couple monitors. The water monitor was super lazy, lounging around most of the time. We had built a pretty massive enclosure for the monitors, with little bushes, rocks, water holes. They could run around a variety of levels and types of ledges with branches between, really cool setup.

The nile monitor was the star, he was pure alpha predator. A few mice dropped in and it was on.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3466 on: June 04, 2018, 09:47:13 AM

My Amazon CC kicked out this month's credit, so I got a couple stands, the umbrellas, the mounts, and a hood for the lens. Now I have to figure out someplace to set up a practice setup, because my art studio is way too small to light anything without blowouts. Really need to get over this initial learning curve, the reference I shoot here is (hopefully) going to do some great things down the line.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3467 on: June 05, 2018, 08:52:45 PM

I took some medium format photos from my balcony and my office to check out the local dev lab. Their scans are shit so I definitely need to get my own scanning rig again. The actual developing part seemed fine. This was on Portra 400 that expired 20 years ago, overexposed two stops.

000003.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

000009.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3468 on: June 19, 2018, 09:22:22 PM

From the weekend trip to Chiang Mai

IMG_3102.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2975.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2979.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2994.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_3097.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3469 on: June 20, 2018, 09:13:40 AM

So this obviously isn't 'taking a picture', but I felt I should share a few neat photos.  

Recently, my grandmother unfortunately passed away.  She was 88, a huge part of my (and my families) life, and its been a pretty tough month.  I traveled about 30 hours straight back to the middle of nowhere I grew up in to be a pallbearer at the funeral, stayed 3 days, and did the same thing right back again to Laos.

Though she ended up a farmers wife on a small ranch deep in the hinterlands of California, she actually lead a fairly crazy life.  She grew up as the youngest child of 14 children, to a coal mining family in Western Virginia (she told me about how as a child she pretty much walked barefoot everywhere in the woods, picking berries and digging out roots for the family dinner).  Her older sister ran off to Los Angles, and eventually convinced the family to send my grandmother out as well.  In 1940, she traveled across the country for several days by train at age 10, lying to everybody that her parents where just in the other car when asked, until she reached LA.  There she had a rather wild time as a teenager, got involved in the early Hollywood scene, and even danced on chorus lines and the such.  She met my grandfather there and married him, then moved up to Napa where his family was from.  After having 5 kids (including my father), my grandfather decided he always wanted to own a farm, and they moved north and purchased a ranch in the northern Sacramento Valley, where I grew up.

My grandmother had a lot of crazy stories from her youth, and it really hits hard now that shes gone.  Back home, a lot of her old photographs were out, and they were honest to god amazing.  I need to work with my family to get them digitized, but there are a few already up, so I'm just going to post 3 of them here.  I'm sure my own sentimentality is getting in the way, but I think they are pretty neat, and maybe people here will enjoy them.  From where in the 1940's and 50's in LA.

This last picture is of my Grandmother and Grandfather shortly after getting married.  My grandfather, for his entire life, would try to make the most hideous face possible if he ever saw anybody pointing a camera at him.  The only decent photos of him over 70 years are when they were taken from the side without him noticing.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 04:37:34 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3470 on: June 25, 2018, 05:10:33 PM

That's some dedication.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #3471 on: July 02, 2018, 11:11:06 AM

Sorry for the quality.  Saturday night in Yolo County, California.  The County fire started Saturday afternoon and as of Monday 7/2/18 is about 45,000 acres  ACK!

These were taken on County Road 96 (buddies place) and on County Road 102 Saturday evening and night.  The area burning is an area I hike and work in frequently. 

co rd 102 below

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3472 on: July 02, 2018, 01:15:25 PM

Went to Pattaya and Ko Lan at the weekend. Have some film being developed at the moment (my developing gear is still in transit so I have to use a lab).

IMG_5372.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5251.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5263.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5384.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5224.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5275.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3473 on: July 04, 2018, 10:54:09 AM

Is that jellyfish on the surface? It's very interesting looking.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3474 on: July 05, 2018, 04:35:14 AM

Is that jellyfish on the surface? It's very interesting looking.

It's just below the surface. The water is so clear, I was able to get good photos by leaning over the side of the boat and shooting through the air/water boundary.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3475 on: July 09, 2018, 01:37:06 PM

Low key shoot with a local here in Bangkok.

Some more over in the T&A thread if you are so inclined. That also means that if you click through to Flickr, you may encounter NSFW content.

IMG_5437-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5423-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5454-Edit-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3476 on: July 10, 2018, 06:42:11 AM

Awesome, that's very similar to what I want to do! I can't seem to wrap my head around the lighting stuff, though. I feel stupid :D

I have another model lined up, she wants to do some Harley Quinn cosplay stuff. So I need to make some time to practice shooting with lights! Why am I so slow in the brain!?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3477 on: July 13, 2018, 12:38:51 PM

A few shots from the beginning of a long cross-country drive.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3478 on: July 17, 2018, 04:09:34 PM

A few days later:

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3479 on: July 29, 2018, 05:52:44 AM

I went to Bang Sue yesterday to a train graveyard. It involved a trek of about a kilometer through a full-on shanty town with rickety corrugated sheet buildings on stilts above fetid water and narrow boardwalks between them. I didn't take too many pictures of that bit as I'm not a big fan of poverty tourism. The train graveyard was pretty cool though. We went in through a service shed and the guys inside just waved us through. A little while later a security guard came out to yell at me but it turned out that 200 Baht (about $6) was enough to 'buy a licence' for an hour or so of undisturbed shooting. I went through a couple of rolls of 120 there as well as the digital shots.

IMG_5527.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5554.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5566.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5565.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5534.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 02:18:55 AM by IainC »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3480 on: July 29, 2018, 06:07:54 AM

I like the B&W one especially.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #3481 on: July 31, 2018, 04:46:02 PM

those train photos are amazing, right up my alley... would love to see more of them *hint hint*

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3482 on: July 31, 2018, 08:27:52 PM

those train photos are amazing, right up my alley... would love to see more of them *hint hint*

If you click through to my Flickr, there is a whole album of them.

I'll have some medium format shots from there when the film comes back from the lab too.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3483 on: August 04, 2018, 08:23:49 AM

Chinatown from the back of a motorcycle.

IMG_5630.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5615.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Brutalist Skytrain interchange at Siam (Spotmatic on Ektar)

000014.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

000029.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Dead Trains, medium format edition (Arax on Portra 160).

000003.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

000007.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #3484 on: August 04, 2018, 03:47:59 PM

Love seeing photos from your travels folks, keep them coming!

I haven't been out enough recently, here's the only photo I took on a day out earlier. There's still some green grass here left, not much though.

2018-08-04 Hedsor Hill by Aled Moses, on Flickr
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #3485 on: August 05, 2018, 01:00:47 PM

From the Cambridge Botanical Gardens earlier during Spring:

2018-06 Cambridge 003 by Aled Moses, on Flickr

Though I didn't take many photos because I basically let my nephew run around with my camera. Never too old or young to start taking selfies.

2018-06 I Gave My Nephew My Camera 003 by Aled Moses, on Flickr
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3486 on: August 05, 2018, 02:37:45 PM

Lot of energy.

More from my trip--at Yellowstone, the inevitable images. I have to watch out that I'm not getting so self-conscious about a photo having been taken before that I just stop taking photos.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #3487 on: August 06, 2018, 02:25:22 PM

I'm digging those, and they go together really well, great mood and theme.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3488 on: August 06, 2018, 05:20:55 PM

Still in Yellowstone.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3489 on: August 07, 2018, 06:45:38 AM

The thing to remember about the 'photo that's been done before' is that when you take it, you have rights to it.

I was lucky to have a lady who worked with copyright law in my first art class a couple years ago. I'm already becoming known as 'the guy who will lecture you on usage rights' in my art association (this is why I'm trying to learn portraiture photography well enough to create references to work from). Small potatoes, so it's not likely anyone will pursue infringements, but why open yourself up to the possibility?

But I digress.

I had my camera on a trip to a nice lake cabin Sunday, but forgot to take it out of the truck, and the old lady has been a nightmare about being out of the house, so not sure I would've had time for much, anyway.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3490 on: August 07, 2018, 09:52:02 AM

There's an arts space out in the weeds near here called Chang Chui. It's based around a parked Airbus airliner which has been assimilated into various other structures. There are also a bunch of other largish installations as well as display spaces for smaller works of various kinds. It's super cool.

IMG_5682.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5731.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5675.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

There's a surprising amount of brutalism and post-modernism here. This is the Bangkok Mail Centre.

IMG_5784.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Hua Lamphong Station

IMG_5760.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3491 on: August 07, 2018, 01:48:37 PM

A couple of the better reference shots I took on the last night of class. You can click for the full res. Open to suggestions, as I'm just learning and had to take the lighting setup as-is for these.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3492 on: August 07, 2018, 04:00:20 PM

There was an interesting bit the other day in the New York Times about the best pose for most basic portrait photography and how to coax people into it--basically, tell people to act as if there's a string pulling them up through the back quarter of their head, turn their head slightly, try to squint just ever so slightly (not too much or you have a come-hither or creepy look). I found it helpful. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/magazine/how-to-pose-for-a-photograph.html

Lighting is something I really struggle with too. I do best with a more chiaroscuro set-up because I understand how to produce it, but it's not really suited for most portraits. The thing I kind of picked up from doing some of the basic tutorial at The Strobist was that having a strong light that's about at 4 o'clock with you about 6 o'clock and the subject at 12, with a fill light at around 9 o'clock, is a pretty good basic set-up. You can reverse that if you think that fits the subject's facial symmetry better or if you're trying to get the strong light from natural light that's only available at that angle.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3493 on: August 08, 2018, 08:33:39 AM

The tough part for me is that I'm not shooting for good portrait photography, I'm shooting for good reference for portrait painting, in a very specific style. So 99% of stuff I've found for shooting portraits isn't very helpful. So I'm just going ahead and jumping into it. My award-winning portrait was shot with a crappy lens using the same lighting as those two I posted (an incandescent bulb in a clamp reflector light).

I'm all about chiaroscuro anyway, as a painter. Without stark values, it's tough (for me, as a newb) to execute a solid charcoal portrait. Paint is a bit more forgiving (you can use color contrast when the values aren't helpful), but I still prefer moody shadows.

Both of those shots provide enough info that I could execute a portrait in either paint or charcoal, so at this point I've probably been overthinking the whole setup. Now I just wish I had cooler furniture for posing the model at my house.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3494 on: August 09, 2018, 09:48:44 PM

Dead trains medium format B&W edition.

000001.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

000005.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

000006.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3495 on: August 10, 2018, 08:53:51 AM

Funny thing about photos taken before and rights thereof--I took this just perfect photo of a gibbon with her new baby at the Philadelphia Zoo--it was one of those perfectly timed, perfectly framed, perfectly lit things. I went back about six months later and there was a exhibit text about the new gibbon and it had my photo (I'd put it up on Flickr). So I emailed them saying, "Hey, you can have the photo, but I would just like to be asked, and I send the Flickr link. They replied, "wow, we see why we think that's yours, but honestly we have a professional photographer who took the same photo at the same moment the same day who was standing just to your right--she even mentioned that there was a guy with a tripod who probably got just as good a shot." And I was like, "oh yeah there was this woman right next to me with a full-frame Nikon, whoops."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3496 on: August 11, 2018, 09:37:06 AM

Heading out of Yellowstone as far as Cody Wyoming. (Which I liked a lot.)
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #3497 on: August 12, 2018, 10:41:30 AM

I'm not sure why, but I decided to sign up to instagram. At the very least it's pushed me to get back to editing and taking photos. Had a party and decided to make some liqueur and thought I'd capture the process. It also reminded me that taking good photos of food and drink in the kitchen is definitely not easy.

180805 Chocolate Liqueur 001 by Aled Moses, on Flickr

180805 Chocolate Liqueur 002 by Aled Moses, on Flickr

180811 Chocolate Liqueur 003 by Aled Moses, on Flickr

180811 Chocolate Liqueur 004 by Aled Moses, on Flickr

180811 Chocolate Liqueur 005 by Aled Moses, on Flickr

180811 Chocolate Liqueur 006 by Aled Moses, on Flickr

180811 Chocolate Liqueur 007 by Aled Moses, on Flickr
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3498 on: August 12, 2018, 03:01:24 PM

Those are great. And yeah, it's surprisingly difficult to do well. I like 003 and 007 especially.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #3499 on: August 13, 2018, 08:24:33 AM

On the food front. If you use a higher proof liquor you can more easily regulate the strength/texture etc of your final product.

I use pure ethanol for making my lemoncello and it turns out spectacular
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 108 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Take a picture once a day, whether you need to or not  
Jump to: