Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:46:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Review: Persona 3 (PS2) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Review: Persona 3 (PS2)  (Read 82505 times)
LagunaZero
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: August 01, 2007, 02:01:38 AM

DDS2 (Digital Devil Saga), not SMT2 - which we never got. Though Aeon Genesis is working on translating Megami Tensei. Anyway, I got Roald's tattoo. Here's a link to a picture of my arm.

Ah, yeah. I meant DDS2.

I'm impressed by your devotion and wish I'd be brave enough to do something like that too... Really nice tattoo!
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: August 14, 2007, 02:57:47 PM

Just talked to the gamemonkeys here in Fairbanks, they'll have it tomorrow. Not sure if its one of those "we have it but its in cryogenically frozen crates of death that won't open till tomorrow" things or it's out already and the game truck is late but whatever I should have it tomorrow. The wife might actually play this (dunno if thats a good thing or not yet)

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 06:34:03 PM

This should be on my porch tomorrow.  I won't get to play it for at least a couple days which is going to be torture. 

Last night I spent some time looking at the guide which I've had since last month and it looks very nice.  I  Heart DoubleJump.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #38 on: August 16, 2007, 10:23:59 AM

Got to play this last night for a bit.  That has to be one of the longer hand holding intro sections to a game I've ever seen.  It was extremely well done and entertaining, but it was around 2 hours (I had some distractions) before they let me do what wanted (most was scripted with input, no getting off the rails). Unfortunately, I only got to have a little bit of freedom before I had to crash for the night (early meeting today). 

The game looks just great for a PS2 game keeping up with the graphical quality of the latest releases for a system I thought was rather ugly compared to the GC and Xbox at the start. It's got a ton of style and the colors are just really well done.  The sound track and voice acting are also superb.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how the story plays out.

This is going to be an easy wait for Bioshock.

-Rasix
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 16, 2007, 11:15:16 AM

So far my thoughts on Persona 2 boil down to:

The social link stuff is great fun. The combat however is a let down. I expect more out of Shin Megai Tensami or however the hell you spell it.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #40 on: August 16, 2007, 04:48:21 PM

Just for reference (as Schild explained before, not neccessarily in this thread), The "Shin Megami Tensei" piece was just tacked onto Persona 3 for name recognition in NA - this game is not really a part of the SMT series.

Hence, the combat (along with other elements) may not be what you expect from a SMT game.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 17, 2007, 12:07:44 PM

Just for reference (as Schild explained before, not neccessarily in this thread), The "Shin Megami Tensei" piece was just tacked onto Persona 3 for name recognition in NA - this game is not really a part of the SMT series.

Hence, the combat (along with other elements) may not be what you expect from a SMT game.

The problem is that it is too simplistic. Also, I'm not fond of Persona fusing being the only way to gain new combat skills. I miss having some kind of skill chart that forces me to think about how to design my character.

So far for me:

The social/RP side of the game: A+
Combat: C

If I could only do the RP stuff, and the social link stuff I'd be happy never to set foot in Tarturus.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 19, 2007, 03:56:19 PM

I've put in about 9 hours now and am going to play through most of the night tonight.  So far, I'm really enjoying it.

I like the pacing (go go calender thingy), graphics, story, and anime cut scenes.  The battle system does seem simplified when compared to Nocturne, which sucks, but encounters move so fast and are so pretty to watch I hardly mind.

So far it's easily my favorite RPG this year.  Between this and Soul Nomad it's going to be a nice fall.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
Strazos

Reply #43 on: August 19, 2007, 04:05:44 PM

I am absolutely loving the game. It has fucking Style in spades.

I hate to say this, but I think I was hooked the moment I watched the intro video; I love it. It's easily the most stylish, finely-crafted intro to a game I can recall in...awhile.

The art and sound direction, the minimalist (but Accurate!) localization, the fast pace of the battle system. I love it. It also reminds me of the Sims (original), in that you have to somehow use your limited time each day to do different things. Whether it's hanging out with a kid from class, going to sports team practice, sitting in on a student council meeting, studying, or saving up the strength to make a good push into Tartarus (or who knows wtf else), it's always a fun challenge to try to find time for it all.

Atlus is on a fucking roll this year.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Rasix

Reply #44 on: August 19, 2007, 08:12:38 PM

The Tartarus vl 36 boss is balls.  What an annoying fight.  Group poison + group wind (one char is vuln) is a really shitty combo for a boss with high defense and no vulnerabilities.  Definitely a fight where you wish you had more fine control over character action.  Fight took a while, but after leveling to 15 it was doable.  Using a wind strong Persona may be good, but I found the Rakunda (mob attack down) skill to be a necessity.

This is just a fine, fine game. I am not good at some of the social link stuff (past lvl 2, I found I tend to mess up at least one response) and I haven't been great at getting my stats up, but that's just something you seem to take in stride in this game.  I'm not finding min-maxing to be a goal of mine. 

It really hooks you in a similar fashion to a turn based strategy game.  It's always "one more day" or "one more trip into Tartarus" and suddenly you're up an hour and a half past when you wanted to be asleep.   

And yah, the localization is a hoot.  A stylish game finding a way to add even more style through the localization decisions is quite a feat.  Most games just wind up with Engrish.  One of the best things though has to be gaining strength in the "Hermit" persona for choosing to spend your Sunday playing a MMO with someone you think is a girl.

-Rasix
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #45 on: August 20, 2007, 12:02:17 AM

About 10 hours in and loving it.  The 36F boss took me apart.  Lv10-11 was not nearly enough to survive it.

Three things that everyone probably knows already but that I have found useful:
- you can donate 1000yen to the shrine after school with no time-passing penalty to almost always get an Academics boost
- visiting the bathroom immediately after saving (no more than once per day) often gives you a status boost (good->great, etc)
- the night before a full moon you never get tired (good time to do any crazy level grinding)

I'm on a fusion kick and am mucking about with some spreadsheet silliness to track my options because I've been too lazy to pick up a strategy guide (which probably has the entire fusion chart for everything in it):
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pXl1ajHcHla1LRBOJIH8zRg

Total agreement on both "loads of style" and "just one more day".  Highly addictive.

Minor complaints:
- I wish you didn't need to 'talk' to party members for status/equip
- Load times could be faster (but it is pretty snappy for a PS2 title)
- I'd like to see the description of new spells/skills *before* fusing something (EDIT: I am an idiot -- the manual has a list of the basic skills and what they do in the back)

Overall, having a blast.

- Q
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 09:44:06 AM by Quinton »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #46 on: August 20, 2007, 07:03:27 AM

Fun as well, but after 10 hours I'm more like level 6.  I blame these sickly weasels; good to know about the not-tired-before-full-moon thing.  On the other hand, I'm dong very well with social and academic pursuits.  Once I actually find a new persona, I'll be able to use it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #47 on: August 20, 2007, 04:03:07 PM

It is sitting on my desk. In the Best Buy bag. Unopened.

:(

Stupid MMOs.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #48 on: August 20, 2007, 08:41:38 PM

Put down the pokemans.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #49 on: August 21, 2007, 06:29:37 AM

Put down the pokemans.

I haven't played a Pokemans since Red and Blue.

It's the PvP foozle whacking that has my panties in a knot.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 21, 2007, 06:52:55 AM

I'm a little further in and it's getting a lot more enjoyable. I'm around June. I'm a little worried that I haven't spent enough time on my skills and social links. I may replay it with my save+. (this is one of those games that gives you a final save.)

Strazos

Reply #51 on: August 21, 2007, 03:38:08 PM

Another tip: You can almost always go to the mall at night to hit up some Karaoke for a Courage boost.

Also, with the social links, as I understand it, even if you kinda get a response wrong, you still get a + to that social link; it's just not nearly as big a boost as if you had given a better answer.

Still getting a huge kick out of the JP references that were preserved during localization.

Fear the Backstab!
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #52 on: August 21, 2007, 08:28:00 PM

Heart this game, even though I'm only slightly past the tutorial/handholding section. It oozes production values and style. It's a bit in-your-face with the Japaneseness though, so anyone without at least a mild grounding in JRPGs/anime may find it a bit hard to get into.

I get a kick every time my dude puts a gun to his head, too.  cool
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #53 on: August 22, 2007, 06:45:24 AM

Heh, the Japanese is rather rampant but since it is set in a JP high school it fits perfectly... just a lot of people might be wondering about -san, -kun and senpai and whatnot.  My advice is just pretend they are elves in a fantasy story and take the weird words in stride if you don't know what they mean from context.

Thanks to Quinton for the tip about the night before the full moon, I made the most of that last night in getting the main guy to level 8 with the intent of manufacturing myself a Jack Frost... but Apsaris (sp?) leveled up just before I did and then Jack wasn't an option anymore!  That might be fine except the replacement persona is level 15.  Plus I am not going to be able to fill in those first two requests from Elizabeth with a deadline.  At least I have lots of friends.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 22, 2007, 12:12:47 PM

The Tartarus vl 36 boss is balls.  What an annoying fight.  Group poison + group wind (one char is vuln) is a really shitty combo for a boss with high defense and no vulnerabilities.  Definitely a fight where you wish you had more fine control over character action.  Fight took a while, but after leveling to 15 it was doable.  Using a wind strong Persona may be good, but I found the Rakunda (mob attack down) skill to be a necessity.

Is there some effective way to deal with group damage outside of using Cadenza? Items out the ass maybe? There's that Media spell, but I can't seem to find the earliest I can nab it. At 10 and just hitting the second block (with four characters no less) and I'm getting demolished by insta-death and group attacks. I usually horde items like the world's going to end in RPGs and wind up never using them, so items is the first thing I'm thinking of.

Also, having the grade-school girl that hangs out at the shrine be associated with the Hanged Man is mildly creepy.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Yoru

Reply #55 on: August 22, 2007, 01:02:32 PM

Heh, the Japanese is rather rampant but since it is set in a JP high school it fits perfectly... just a lot of people might be wondering about -san, -kun and senpai and whatnot.  My advice is just pretend they are elves in a fantasy story and take the weird words in stride if you don't know what they mean from context.

Well, there's also things like the dude who asks you to go to the sweet shop with him. Unless you know wtf is up with men liking sweet things in Japanese culture, it would completely go over your head.
Strazos

Reply #56 on: August 22, 2007, 04:11:59 PM

You might as well explain that one in the thread plxkthx.

What you said just went over my head. I might be misunderstanding you.

Fear the Backstab!
Yoru

Reply #57 on: August 22, 2007, 04:50:24 PM

You might as well explain that one in the thread plxkthx.

What you said just went over my head. I might be misunderstanding you.

As I understand it, the stereotype goes that Men (capital M) do not like sweet things. Liking sweets is (stereotypically) considered weird and/or effeminate, and may reflect on one's sexuality.

This is a roundabout way of saying the French dude is ambiguously gay.
Rasix

Reply #58 on: August 22, 2007, 04:55:51 PM

Is there some effective way to deal with group damage outside of using Cadenza? Items out the ass maybe? There's that Media spell, but I can't seem to find the earliest I can nab it. At 10 and just hitting the second block (with four characters no less) and I'm getting demolished by insta-death and group attacks. I usually horde items like the world's going to end in RPGs and wind up never using them, so items is the first thing I'm thinking of.

Also, having the grade-school girl that hangs out at the shrine be associated with the Hanged Man is mildly creepy.

I used a couple of complete heal items I had been saving as well as having Yukari doing nothing but support.  The fight is just a grind. My wife commented on the fact on how tedious the fight is.  She noticed that before she noticed the kids were shooting themselves in the head and a lady riding in a skull was popping out of Yukari's head.  If the guy's going nuts with the AE wind + AE poison you spend a lot of time cross healing yourself and sneaking in an attack every round or two.

If you use cadenza for that fight, you might want to use Apsaras since Orpheus is weak to wind. However, it's really helpful if you have a spell that reduces the enemies attack otherwise you lose Junpei pretty fast.  For an early Media, you can create Oberon (pixie + zochoten) at 15 and the one I've got has Media on it.  You're not going to want to take on that boss much before 15 as you run the risk of having to heal every round or get 2 shotted.  Stock up on dis-poisons also.  Really, that boss fight is a bit out of wack, the lvl 59 boss isn't anywhere near as hard, he just goes into superbitch mode at the end.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 04:58:23 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #59 on: August 22, 2007, 06:05:38 PM

All French are ambiguously gay, no?  Oui!  Honh honh honh!

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #60 on: August 25, 2007, 04:15:30 PM

An incredible mix of the wonderfully pleasing and controller-throwingly difficult.  Can't put it down.

There, that's my two-sentence review.
Yoru

Reply #61 on: August 27, 2007, 11:41:38 AM

36F boss was total bullshit, and the major plot-bossfight after that was annoying but not too difficult. (Except the first time I fought it, I had the awesome luck for one of the enemies to pick the main character as a pincushion and proceeded to one-shot him with a critical hit from full life.)

36F took me six tries, and I won mostly by using 2 balms of life, a bead chain, half a dozen Revival Beads and an assload of dis-poison. Main level 14, others varied from 13-15. Also, getting fucking lucky with the AI's choice to just use physical single-target attacks for the last three rounds of the battle helped, as did a lucky critical hit mid-battle.

I hope the rest of the game isn't that damned pissy. At least not before I get a Persona with heal-all or maybe a cure-poison spell.
Rasix

Reply #62 on: August 27, 2007, 11:51:18 AM

I wafflestomped month 3.  The Tartarus bosses and the plot line bosses are were not very difficult compared to month 2.

-Rasix
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 27, 2007, 05:00:46 PM

I wafflestomped month 3.  The Tartarus bosses and the plot line bosses are were not very difficult compared to month 2.

Same here on month 3, but once you're into Block 3 (start of month 4) the difficulty kicks up again something bad (at level 25). I think to correct that I might start spending an extra night or two in Tartarus after clearing to the last floor and rare hunting. Add on top of that how I swap between Personas all the time and am thus at the mercy of new unlocks to get level-appropriate ones... and my relative power curve is a rollercoaster.

Either way though, Heart. Easily the best combination of style and gameplay this side of Klonoa 2.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Yoru

Reply #64 on: August 27, 2007, 05:15:46 PM

Where do I buy the fizzy drink for the little girl near the shrine? :(
Rasix

Reply #65 on: August 27, 2007, 05:17:16 PM

I think she wants a "Mad Bull".  You buy it in the dorm.

-Rasix
Yoru

Reply #66 on: August 27, 2007, 05:17:57 PM

I think she wants a "Mad Bull".  You buy it in the dorm.

Motherf-- the one place I didn't search high-and-low for a vending machine.
Strazos

Reply #67 on: August 27, 2007, 08:06:33 PM

I'm into early August now, right before the full moon. 5 Academic, 5 Charm, 6 Courage.

Yes, I am Badass...at least, that's what my Status screen tells me.

My next problem will be figuring out which girl to date next. I'm just about finished up with the Treasurer, so I'll have to choose between Yuko and Fuuka. I'm pretty sure I'll unlock Yukari soon as well, so there will be some tough choices. I don't want to risk dating multiple girls at a time, lest they get bitchy at me for two-timing or something.

Also, most of the Persona I end up using are a result of screwing with the Fuse options, and mostly shooting for types for which I have high Arcana ratings; that XP boost is huge if the Commu is high. Just one thing....

Has anyone found a real use for Physical-type Persona? I find that the added endurance and physical attack skills are far outclassed by advanced magic skills and the ability to down opponents and wreck them with All-Out attacks. Granted this is more SP-intensive, but I haven't been able to get Physical Persona to work yet. Which is a shame, because some of them look awesome.

Fear the Backstab!
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #68 on: August 30, 2007, 03:48:25 AM

Later in the game, certain enemies are weak against some types of physical attacks, so if you use a sword then it helps to have a bash-all skill.  They can also do critical hits, which magic spells can't, so for some boss fights physical skills are more useful.

That said, if an enemy gets the drop on you later in the game, they can pretty much wipe you out before you can go.  Same goes for if they knock the hero down.  I've had to restart in Tartarus so many times because I got careless for a second or two.
Strazos

Reply #69 on: August 30, 2007, 10:39:55 PM

Yeah, it's annoying, but....

Isn't that what makes it great? Combat that, sort of, matters? I get bit sometimes, because whenever I go into Tartarus, I always go until I can hit a "checkpoint."

Sometimes, that is a lot of floors to traverse.

Also, I am wondering what effect Persona stats have on my character. Obviously, my guy will be weak to the same elements that my equipped persona is weak to, but what about the stats of the persona? Will a persona with high End/Agi actually allow me to dodge/mitigate more? I'm thinking yes, but have not really seen much of a difference.

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Review: Persona 3 (PS2)  
Jump to: