Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:23:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: (SPOILERS) John from Cincinnatti 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: (SPOILERS) John from Cincinnatti  (Read 21828 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

on: July 17, 2007, 03:34:12 PM

Ok, I didnt want to drop these in the other TV thread, but wanted to talk about Johns speech from the end of the last episode. Here is the transcript.

This was from the HBO insider.

John's extraordinary speech at the end of the episode is bound to trigger much discussion. I'm not in a position to enter that fray, but I can say this: all but a couple of John's statements will make sense to anyone who follows the show, listens closely and think it through.

Below is the transcript.

"If my words are yours, can you hear my Father? Can Bill know my Father, keeping his eye on me? Can I bone Kai and Butchie know my Father instead?

"My Father's shy doing his business. Kai helps my Father dump out. Bill takes a shot. Shaunie is much improved.

"Joe is a Doubting Thomas. Joe will save Not-Aleman. Joe will bring his buddies home. This is how Freddy relaxes. Cup-o'joe, and Winchell's variety dozen.

"Mitch catches a good wave. Mitch wipes out. Mitch wipes out Cissy. Cissy shows Butchie how to do that. Cissy wipes Butchie out. Butchie hurts Barry's head. Mister Rollins comes in Barry's face. My Father runs the Mega-Millions.

"Fur is big. Mud is big. The stick is big. The word is big. Fire is huge. The wheel is huge. The line and circle are big. On the wall, the line and circle are huge. On the wall, the man at the wall makes a man from the circle and line. The man at the wall makes a Word on the wall from the circle and line. The Word on the wall hears my Father.

"The zeroes and ones make the Word in Cass's camera. In the Word on the wall that hears my-Father-in-Cass's-camera, the good one Mitch catches doesn't wipe Cissy out. In the-Word-that-hears-my-Father, Cissy shows Butchie something else. In-my-Father's-Word, Cissy shows Butchie in Shaun. In-my-Father's-Word, Tina raises Shaun at lunch. In Cass's-camera, Butchie lays the court out for Barry, and Mister Rollins watches, and he doesn't come on Barry's face. In Cass's-camera, Butchie knows Kai kept the faith. In-my-Father's-Word, the Wave lifts them up.

"In Cass's camera, Bill doesn't bump his head on the stairs. In Cass's-camera, as long as he's being stupid, Bill gives Lois a kiss.

"In His-Word-in-Cass's-camera, the Internet is big. Nine-Eleven is big, but not every towel-head is eradicated. In His-Word, We are coming Nine-Eleven-Fourteen.

"In my-Father's-Word, Bill sees how Freddy relaxes. In Cass's-camera, Ramon wants to know who's hungry, in the courtyard and Room Forty-Five.

"In my-Father's-Word-to-come-in-Cass's-camera, Doctor Smith calls Ocean Properties. In Cass's-camera-to-come, my Father stares Not Aleman down, and Freddy sees Bill much-improved.

"You will not note my-Father's-Word, nor remember Cass's-camera, but you will not forget what we did here."
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:35:38 AM

I still cannot decide if I like this show or not. I guess that would depend if I have a flaming clue what the heck is going on most of the time which typically I don't.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 05:10:00 PM

I still cannot decide if I like this show or not. I guess that would depend if I have a flaming clue what the heck is going on most of the time which typically I don't.

Roger that.

- Viin
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 04:47:18 AM

He's Jesus.

Edit: In those 10 years or so between child and prophet.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 04:52:20 AM by MrHat »
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 01:56:12 PM

Um.
What?
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 04:55:38 PM

John from Cincinnatti is J.C.? Good guess! :)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 04:28:17 AM

John from Cincinnatti is J.C.? Good guess! :)

Now I just feel dumb.  I didn't even connect that. :(

Edit to clarify:  Basically, he talks alot about his father having a design and he heals peeps and himself.  He's also told a couple characters to see God.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 01:18:00 PM

He's Jesus.

Edit: In those 10 years or so between child and prophet.

I was of the opinion,  after the first couple episodes,  he was John the Baptist and Shaunie was Jesus.  But that seems to be shot out of the water by the last episode.... 

Unless John is the Holy Ghost and Shaun is the Son.

I've seen some other interesting speculation....  Mitch as the Pharisees concerned with the trappings of spirituality more then spirituality, Cass as Mary Magdalene (which would support a John as Jesus theory), etc.

Great imagery in this show,  and Milch likes to fuck around with novel or old techniques.  Sometimes this doesn't work.  Swearengen in Deadwood had some of the greatest modern monologues you'll ever see,  but Al Bundy is pretty meh.

Really like the fact that so many actors are showing up I recognize from small parts in other shows.  The lawyer was the nerdy recurring character from Stargate,  Freddy's henchmen was pretty good in the Invisible Man...
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 01:30:55 PM

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 01:41:05 PM

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 06:52:23 PM

From a recent review, pretty much sums it up:

What the hell is going on? Every time I watch it, I feel like I just took some 15-year-old acid I found at the bottom of my sock drawer. Is it just me, or do none of these scenes fit together coherently?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 08:33:07 PM

I think I might have liked it better before it seemed to go all Jesus-y last episode.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 10:37:41 AM

In His-Word, We are coming Nine-Eleven-Fourteen.

My understanding was that John wasn't from Cincinnati, but somewhere much more remote.  If that rumor is correct, I'd say that (given the obvious spirituality) John is more of a advance scout/emissary from a race that has a better connection with what it takes to "See God, Kai" then we do.

The recitation of technological advances is somewhat reminicent of 2001, in my opinion (more of a parallel though, I don't think it's being implied that John's race has been helping mankind).
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 11:24:08 AM

I think I might have liked it better before it seemed to go all Jesus-y last episode.
On the recommendations of folks here, I watched the show. That was the first episode I saw. I don't think I'll bother with another. That was crazytarded.

High point: Charlie Utter on sax imo.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 11:43:45 AM

On the recommendations of folks here, I watched the show. That was the first episode I saw. I don't think I'll bother with another. That was crazytarded.

High point: Charlie Utter on sax imo.

I dont think this is the kind of show you can jump in to and just "get", specially that episode, since the previous 4 episodes had been building up to John doing some thing "different".
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 03:07:53 PM

I've never heard of this show, but based on the comments in this thread I think I'm going to have to check it out.  Am I right in thinking that it's crazytarded in sort of the same way that Carnivale was?  I'm so there if it is.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 03:50:25 PM

Given the heavy dose of pretty obvious Jesus allegory, don't watch it if you're one of those people who gets all retarded about people who believe in God.

I have read some of the stuff at that linked fan site, and having seen all the episodes so far, I don't really see how it's anything but that...MAYBE something more along the lines of John the Baptist than Jesus, but shit, I said to my wife in the episode where the doctor quits his job, "See, there's just yet another random person who will now follow John around and do stuff." It seemed like it was building to twelve core disciples and others filling other roles.

It's pretty cool either way, but YMMV. For the atheist and a dick about it crowd, better to just avoid it if anything vaguely related to the Christian faith that doesn't make fun of it bothers you. Watch Big Love instead and laugh at the crazy fundies.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 03:53:22 PM by CmdrSlack »

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 03:55:58 PM

I was raised Athesist/Spiritual if that makes sense.

I love good religious stories, I just take them as 100% fiction, and find them enjoyable. I personally got the feeling that John was some sort of JC reborn. My girlfriend thinks that the Mexican guy, the Lawyer and the Gay guy who won the lottery are the 3 Wise Men.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 06:44:46 PM

I really don't think he is Jesus. Way too pat. I like the alien idea better, but I think he may be just a corporeal representation of "creativity".

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 06:55:17 PM

I really don't think he is Jesus. Way too pat. I like the alien idea better, but I think he may be just a corporeal representation of "creativity".

I'm hoping it's not that simple, too, and I'm still rather intrigued.  I certainly won't stop watching.  I have to know.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 04:55:52 AM

I have to know.

But they'll never tell us.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 05:10:54 AM

Given the heavy dose of pretty obvious Jesus allegory, don't watch it if you're one of those people who gets all retarded about people who believe in God.

I have read some of the stuff at that linked fan site, and having seen all the episodes so far, I don't really see how it's anything but that...MAYBE something more along the lines of John the Baptist than Jesus, but shit, I said to my wife in the episode where the doctor quits his job, "See, there's just yet another random person who will now follow John around and do stuff." It seemed like it was building to twelve core disciples and others filling other roles.

It's pretty cool either way, but YMMV. For the atheist and a dick about it crowd, better to just avoid it if anything vaguely related to the Christian faith that doesn't make fun of it bothers you. Watch Big Love instead and laugh at the crazy fundies.

So I can't watch Horror movies when I don't believe in Werewolves?

You have quite the persecution complex there.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 07:22:30 AM

So I can't watch Horror movies when I don't believe in Werewolves?

You have quite the persecution complex there.

Uh, nope that's not what I was saying at all.  I was just saying, "If god/jesus allegory bothers you deeply, don't watch the show."  Nothing more. Given the track record of some atheists here, I figured it was fair warning to them.

Glad to see your knee still jerks well though, I'm sure your physician will be pleased at your next physical.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 07:27:37 AM

That doesn't really answer the question tho :  Do you believe in Werewolves ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 07:29:47 AM

You still miss the point, though.

Being retarded about people who believe in god has nothing at all to do with which works of FICTION you enjoy.

For unbelievers there is no difference between the pretense that there is a Vampire Slayer called Buffy and the pretense that there is Jesus Christ.

(Not saying that Jesus Christ is actually pretense, I neither know nor care one way or the other)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 07:32:00 AM by Tebonas »
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 07:35:35 AM

I get that point, actually.

I also get the impression that some people here are bothered by the pervasiveness of god/jesus stuff in popular media. If you read the always-fun-slapfights in politics, then I'd say that's a reasonably easy impression to get. ETA -- Point being, if it really bothers them as badly as it seems, then maybe not watching the show would save some annoyance.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 07:38:14 AM

Yeah, but thats what politics is for. I still hold the opinion that most of us just dive in there for the heck of it and are pretty reasonable otherwise.  :-D
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 07:41:54 AM

Yeah, I guess that makes for a healthier worldview.  smiley

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 24, 2007, 07:43:19 AM

I think Ironwood asked a question....

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #29 on: July 24, 2007, 07:46:22 AM

I used to until I didn't see one in the local Trader Vic's. On Halloween.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #30 on: July 24, 2007, 07:47:20 AM

Look how many people enjoyed that Narnia book and movie.  That's just God stuff, too, no?  It wasn't even clever.  If this show stays clever and gives us well thought out twists and puzzles, I'll stay interested.  If, at some point, they simply tell us, "Hey!  Look!  It's only Jesus again!" I'll be cranky.  I don't have that many shows I watch that are actually entertaining in a different way(from CSI and that lot)... John from Cincinnati, Dexter, Deadwood, Heroes, maybe a few more... I always hope they keep up the good work til the end.  Unfortunately, they usually go off track somewhere towards the end.  I'll like them until they fuck up then I'll send them a mean email and wander off.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 24, 2007, 07:52:49 AM

Bear in mind the size of the Bible :  It's more than likely anything you watch on TV has some parallel there somewhere.

Not that it matters. 

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 10, 2007, 01:31:15 PM

It's like Deadwood only with surfboards.

The dialog is like Deadwood, many of the people are from Deadwood.  Are the writers from there too?

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 10, 2007, 06:48:09 PM

They don't say cocksucker enough though.

-H.L. Mencken
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 11, 2007, 12:57:42 PM

Show's been cancelled.

They quit Deadwood for this?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: (SPOILERS) John from Cincinnatti  
Jump to: