Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:38:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Heroclix? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heroclix?  (Read 4729 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

on: July 04, 2007, 12:49:13 PM

Just wondering if anyone plays or has previously played. I don't venture into this forum much, and search came back with nothing, so this seemed like the most appropriate place for this thread.

Anyway, I just recently got into it. I've known about the game for years, but with no one to play with, and other hobbies hogging the cash, I never got into it. But now, a few people  I work with play to varying degrees, so I finally took the plunge.

The game seems to really have come along in recent years, especially with the newest Avengers set. Previously, the dials would be partially color-coded, to indicate the current abilities of a unit. They still have that, but now all characters come with a card. Not only does it explain the origins of a character in brief (useful for someone who hasn't followed comics in 15+ years), it also details all of the various powers that are available to a unit at various points along its dial (mean, unit may or may not start with certain abilities, and gain/lose different ones as it takes damage). Pretty nice to help newbs get into it.

Also, as a side-effect (which I am SURE is by design), some of the brief descriptions have led to read things at wikipedia, which have in turn turned me on to different series....

Damnit, I don't wanna start buying comics again, I already have enough expensive hobbies.  wink

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 01:04:19 PM

Can't say I've ever messed with Heroclix.  Always figured it would be a bit of a money sink, so I didn't want to bother with it.
Strazos

Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 02:35:42 PM

Only about as much as MtG, or any other hobby people around here do. Probably less than MtG, as the costs don't usually get nearly as crazy, and the sets are smaller.

Also, if you're the type, you can always display the multitude of figures. They make better decorations than a stack of cards.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 03:18:29 PM

Only about as much as MtG, or any other hobby people around here do. Probably less than MtG, as the costs don't usually get nearly as crazy, and the sets are smaller.

Also, if you're the type, you can always display the multitude of figures. They make better decorations than a stack of cards.

I played MtG from just prior to the release of Arabian Nights until just after Fallen Empires I think.  It was a colossal money sink, but my brother and I both more than made our money back when we stopped playing and sold all our cards.  I don't imagine I'd get the same return on Heroclix.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 03:43:14 PM

Same here. Played from - roughly - beta to uhmmmm, shit, Homelands. Goddamn, homelands sucked. Made quite a few grand off all of them.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 03:56:20 PM

I've played Heroclix twice with Grimwell's son.  It was pretty nifty, but sucked when the kid was gloating about how I was losing.

He was pretty gracious when I came back and beat him tho. :)

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 06:17:30 PM

I have my CoX collector's set Heroclix.  They're just used as display pieces though.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 10:19:59 AM

I've played Heroclix twice with Grimwell's son.  It was pretty nifty, but sucked when the kid was gloating about how I was losing.

He was pretty gracious when I came back and beat him tho. :)

Ha!  You missed out on all the dice rolling of doom then when Grimwell was still in our area and DMing for our group.  Nothing like having a 5 year old gloating that he critted your character for obscene amounts of damage.  You can't get mad about being killed (or almost killed if you were lucky - Grim was brutal on characters some campaigns) like that.

I have a few Heroclix figures hanging around the house somewhere, mostly garnered from GenCon the last time I went and they were giving out "special" figures to people that playtested or something like that.  Played in some little mini-game with Grim's son and got slaughtered by two guys who thought they were cute taking out the girl first, only to get massacred by Grim's son in return.  Funniest bit was the second place guy crying about wanting a recount because he couldn't accept losing to a kid like that.

Strazos

Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 06:03:52 PM

Just got done the first round for the Coming of Galactus event. For those who don't know, it's a 5 week sealed tourney. Just for playing each round, you receive one of the Heralds; week 1 was Silver Surfer, and he is BAD ASS. If I want, I can sub him in next week if I don't like my pulls.

As you guys may know, I just got into the whole Heroclix thing about a month ago, but I figured I'd play anyway, just for fun.

Before opening our 2 boosters, I remarked to my buddy, "Yeah, I'm totally going to pull a badass armored Spider-Man."

First unit out of the first booster? Fucking Bad Ass Spider-Man. The unit is a freaking House. With him, Capt. America, Shang Chi, and a Guardsman unit, I ended up going 2-2. Both of my losses were extremely close; in both games, it came down to my Capt America vs one of the opposing units. And when I finally lost him, the opposing guy only had a single click left.

SO I'm pretty satisfied with my first public action. I very easily could have gone 4-0, as my 2 wins were not really close at all. Hell, I didn't lose a single unit in my final game, going perfect against a team of Iron Man, Scarlet Witch, Guardsman, and Iron Lad.

Anyone else playing in these events?

Fear the Backstab!
Strazos

Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 03:33:18 PM

Update"

Galactus final was today. I just barely made it into the final round. It was 8-man single elimination.

I managed to make it to the final match, but narrowly lost.

Second place in a large tourney like this? Hell, I didn't even really care about the $300 Galactus; I just wanted to play to win.

Kind of funny though, newb like me (at Heroclix) shut down a lot of people who've played longer than I.

Fear the Backstab!
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 08:38:13 PM

Those 10 year olds never knew what hit them eh?  :-D

I keed, I keed, congrats.  Last year at DragonCon Heroclix was THE game, I was stunned at how popular it was.  Meanwhile I couldn't find a soul to play BG CCG.
Strazos

Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 10:42:05 PM

Actually, the place I play at had both Adult and Junior brackets.

The kid bracket had a whopping 4 people in it.

Fear the Backstab!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 09:03:55 AM

I used to play the fuck out of the Mechwarrior Clix game.  Went to nats in Ohio all that.  We had like 3 of the top 10 US players in our Bay Area gaming group.  Eventually I got sick of them power creeping the set and my favorite opponent kinda vanished so I stopped going.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Strazos

Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 06:30:21 PM

I actually just saw some of the Mechwarrior clix today....they look awesome as hell.

Unfortunately, I have nowhere near the amount of money I would need to pick up Another expensive hobby.

Sometimes I wish I could like the simple things in life, like nice walks or something. I'm fairly sure walks are free.

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Heroclix?  
Jump to: