Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:39:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: 'Antisocial' Gaming 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Antisocial' Gaming  (Read 37079 times)
hubertgrove
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: May 20, 2007, 11:00:41 PM

So, essentially, the conclusion is we'd prefer some kind of instantaneous Voice-To-Text feature option rather than straight VOIP so we don't have Screech's voice boring into our ears as our L55 Night Elf Priest takes a moment off to appreciate the visual richness of the Ogrimmar turnpike, 'OMG, noob. Y u no heal me? WTF?'.

I remember going up for the job of Lead Copywriter for Skype last year and was asked by the Head of Marketihng; 'You! What can you do to increase our subscriber base by 100% over the next twelve months!'. Me? A humble scribbler, your worship? 'I'd fix a deal with Blizzard to add voice to WoW', I bluffed. 'What is WoW?', he said without interest., 'Is it some kind of video game?'. Needless to say, I'm still freelance. And now someone is going to add VOIP to World of Warcraft? If it turns out to be a JV with Skype, I will... I willl... I will do such things — what they are yet I know not, but they shall be the terrors of the earth. Or, alternatively just watch TV, overeat and fulminate.
schild
Administrator

Reply #71 on: May 20, 2007, 11:36:57 PM

but i'm busy finding out about your personalities.  i'll capitalize in other threads, Sir.

That would've been hilarious if you'd used the shift key.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: May 21, 2007, 03:01:42 AM

These voip games that will herald the end of times...

1) They do have a mute button.
2) They do have a kick-from-group button.

Right?

Thought so.

Apocalypse averted.

Damn I'm good.

EDIT:

Just because I'm, you know, curious; how do you people play PnP RPGs? Do you pass notes to each other when you wish to speak? Because elves don't have a New Jersey accent.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 03:25:13 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
qedetc
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: May 21, 2007, 03:23:27 AM

if the same people are currently doing both, then presumably, they'd only be playing pnp rpgs with people they've spoken with before.
they'd unquestioningly use speech, as it would be the natural, obvious, and already existing method, rather than a new encroachment perceived as a threat to an aspect of their anonymity that has so far been enjoyable and quite the aid to their escapist goals.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #74 on: May 21, 2007, 04:52:14 AM

I shout at my computer all the time.  It doesn't even blink.  It's frustrating.  Once, before I settled down and got married, I pushed it out of my thrid floor bedroom window.  It made a dent in the porch roof on it's way to the front lawn.  It was a Commodore.  It survived.  I'm much calmer now and I'm rarely physically violent with inanimate objects.  It no longer makes me feel better.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: May 21, 2007, 05:01:22 AM

Do what I do :  Use animate objects.  At night in dark alleys with a number 2 skinning knife.

It'll make you feel a whole lot better.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #76 on: May 21, 2007, 05:36:47 AM

I actually checked to see if there were any active serial killers in Glasgow.  Just in case....

hubertgrove
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: May 21, 2007, 05:37:51 AM

I actually checked to see if there were any active serial killers in Glasgow.  Just in case....

They never caught Bible John, you know.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: May 21, 2007, 05:39:23 AM

That's like 90% of the population.  More than that at Old Firm Games.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #79 on: May 21, 2007, 05:42:52 AM

That's like 90% of the population.  More than that at Old Firm Games.

That doesn't really count though, does it?  That's just old fashioned sporting rivalry, no?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: May 21, 2007, 05:44:54 AM

Old Fashioned like the Inquisition.

But I take your point.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: May 21, 2007, 10:56:30 AM

You know, the brief time that I spent playing the latest unreal tournament, I DID use the text to speech stuff. If I remember correctly, I turned off the text box it was so good. That or I just ignored it, I can't remember which.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #82 on: May 22, 2007, 11:02:48 AM

It's almost inevitable that some pervert will come on and start talking dirty to all the little kiddies who play WoW.  I wonder what the GM tools for voice chat will be like.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: May 22, 2007, 11:11:12 AM

It's almost inevitable that some pervert will come on and start talking dirty to all the little kiddies who play WoW.  I wonder what the GM tools for voice chat will be like.

Preferably Gunnery Sergeant Hartman.

What's your name, scumbag?

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: May 22, 2007, 11:22:16 AM

Do what I do :  Use animate objects.  At night in dark alleys with a number 2 skinning knife.

It'll make you feel a whole lot better.

Those poor kittens!

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #85 on: May 22, 2007, 12:14:25 PM

Preferably Gunnery Sergeant Hartman.

What's your name, scumbag?
Bwahahahaha
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: 'Antisocial' Gaming  
Jump to: