Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:24:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Richard Garriot's Future... More Swords and Dragons Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Richard Garriot's Future... More Swords and Dragons Online  (Read 29064 times)
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #70 on: January 05, 2009, 08:01:13 AM

I never played Ocarina cause I don't own the console, but yeah U9 was a disaster in graphic, gameplay and writing. There wasn't really much positives to be taken from the bug ridden piece of shit that concludes a saga. What a horrible way to end a series. After the disappointment of U 8, I get treated to this rapid click combat with jumping puzzle in a 3D world filed with characters devoid of any personality when they had done so back then with Ultima 7? I'm sorry, tech improves but design seems to go backwards to stone age = Fail.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: January 06, 2009, 11:51:57 AM

Someone needs to preserve these for the future:

http://kotaku.com/5123159/where-bad-games-go-to-die-rip-tabula-rasa
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: January 06, 2009, 02:48:21 PM

When 64v64 FPS matches become commonplace, then the line will have blurred. In the meantime, "massive" to me is the old SB banes, any given Eve war, and old Planetside fights (unless they're still big?).

I'm not sure we'll ever see that. You need some kind of dynamic map or world that expands and contracts as players join and leave. BF2 almost had it right, but they couldn't do it on the fly. You need to do it on the fly. You need to be able to start out a game with a small group of people and have the combat be fun and engaging. Then as others join it can ramp up to make it fun and engaging for everyone. I'm not sure what Planetside ever did, as I quit in beta before they added the grid system to it (where you had to fight on the front lines, you couldn't sneak around and capture a base behind enemy lines) which I didn't particularly like. They should have taken the approach with a tiny area that expanded as more people started playing. Maybe they did take that approach. I don't know.

I remember playing 32 player qwtf matches in 1997 and imagining amazing things will be when everyone is off modems and more data can be sent around. They could have more location based damage, destructable terrain, all kinds of cool things right on the horizon there in 1997. I just never really saw it. Ever. After qwtf, I spent most of my time playing what I thought was the best Q2 mod at the time - Rocket Arena. The maps had less people. Then CS came along, and every fps player on the entire damned internet was playing it. Yet the best CS was with 12 people or less. Now I still play TF2 off and on, and the best TF2 is 24 players. L4D? 8 players.

I tried raiding in WoW near release, and I couldn't stand being around 39 other random people who had to do everything right to accomplish some goal. It was then that I kind of realized that I'd never see the big 128 player FPS games working, cause you hit a point where with that many people you need solid goals. In order to reach those goals, you'll need people working together. That just seems impossible when you're talking about video games on the internet. Is it a coincidence that WoW is repeatedly lowering the number of people required to raid?
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #73 on: January 06, 2009, 03:23:54 PM

On the flip side, you have Eve, where their biggest technical problem is trying to breed mutant hamsters big enough to power the servers for 1500+ person battles, but also scales all the way down to a single individual raiding hostile territory or camping a low-sec gate for careless cargo ships.  Even if you set aside WW2O or Planetside, you've got a tradition going back to Air Warrior of 100+ person battles in combat sims.

It seems more to be the case that if you start from human-scale avatars and spaces, with the wide variety of intuitive options people expect from those settings, you can't get beyond 30-40 people before there's simply too much going on for meaningful battles.  We've got the wrong problem space, our desired solution (massive, meaningful battles that are still fun for the loser) simply isn't in it.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #74 on: January 06, 2009, 03:38:10 PM

I don't think there's a technical impediment to having battles in the thousands on each side as long as the combat code is well and efficiently coded.  There are technical impediments to quickly rendering 2,000 avatars on the screen at the same time, but that's a separate issue.  Just getting 2,000 entities moving and shooting at each other is computationally trivial, even on commodity hardware.  I forget what my point was going to be, but I think there's a big market for very large scale battles (Battlefield 1942 times 10 and up) but the limiting factors are the increasing demand for high-quality graphics and decreasing appetite for risk among developers.  I suspect an indie will profitably fill this gap in the next couple of years (although indies tend to be averse to client-server apps, because they don't have resources for maintaining servers).

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: January 06, 2009, 04:16:42 PM

In a 10000 man PVE battle, sure that can be fun. Cause who cares really, the NPC by sheer number can provide individual challenge, without showing what will realistically happen to you in such a battle (people don't die in 3 secs) while allowing a very low degree on team work to be needed. Massive battles, especially in the RPG settings are going to suck massive balls. One you die, fast, very, very, very, very, very fast. You will spend most of your time on rez timer. No mmorpg, no matter how crap tastic the balance is, doesn't allow anyone to survive massive amounts of focus fire, hell depending on how idiotic the aoe damage is, battles assuming you don't lag, will be very messy and very unsightly. Then there is the organization, again large battles to feel like something remotely special has to have some semblance of intelligent thought, beyond the focus fire assist trains. Ultimately that breaks apart at even 20 vs 20, let alone 2000 vs 2000. And yes there will be lag, huge god awful lag. Till someone feels it will be a good idea to instances large battles, the shear number of spell effects spammed at any given time will lag the hell out of not only you the player, but the server, causing big cranky crashes. There are no persistent worlds now or forever that will EVER allow 100 vs 100 to be played consistently. Let alone 1000 vs 1000, AoC couldn't even handle 20 vs 20... It just ain't happening and that's just the way it is.

There may be a FPS that will do it, but it will be something like 20 vs 20 / 20 vs 20/ 20 vs 20. With each bracket fighting each other in separate parts of the map over different objectives. I don't think any duck and cover fps can truly do a 100 man battle let alone a 100 vs 100 battle without the outcome being "10 different snipers just scored a head shot on you at the exactly the same time. The server has no idea how to handle it so that just means you die 10 times at your spawn" (looking at you WolfTeam...)
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #76 on: January 06, 2009, 04:45:41 PM

There are an enormous number of inaccuracies in your claims.

First, you're incredibly assumptive that MMO combat will always look like what MMO combat looks like now (AoE spells, the possibility of focused fire, rez timers as a mechanic, fast death as a necessary consequence, that something like a 'focus fire assist train' is even remotely intrinsic to multiplayer gaming, processor intensive 'spell effects', etc).

Second, the assumption that 'huge godawful lag' is a necessary consequence of large scale multiplayer combat is based on nothing.  And a 'shear number of spell effects' (I assume you mean the graphics) lagging the server would be an astounding programming feat, since graphics are rendered on the client.  If you mean the state transitions and damage from the spell effects, they're computationally trivial.  I can't promise that every developer can do trivial calculations without fucking it up and making it laggy, but a very large number can.

Not that there's any profound, world-stopping consequence to you being wrong about this.  It just means that you're not going to help develop such a game, but I expect you'll enjoy it when it does come out and you'll have completely forgotten about this comment.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: January 06, 2009, 05:02:31 PM

There are an enormous number of inaccuracies in your claims.

First, you're incredibly assumptive that MMO combat will always look like what MMO combat looks like now (AoE spells, the possibility of focused fire, rez timers as a mechanic, fast death as a necessary consequence, that something like a 'focus fire assist train' is even remotely intrinsic to multiplayer gaming, processor intensive 'spell effects', etc).

Second, the assumption that 'huge godawful lag' is a necessary consequence of large scale multiplayer combat is based on nothing.  And a 'shear number of spell effects' (I assume you mean the graphics) lagging the server would be an astounding programming feat, since graphics are rendered on the client.  If you mean the state transitions and damage from the spell effects, they're computationally trivial.  I can't promise that every developer can do trivial calculations without fucking it up and making it laggy, but a very large number can.

Not that there's any profound, world-stopping consequence to you being wrong about this.  It just means that you're not going to help develop such a game, but I expect you'll enjoy it when it does come out and you'll have completely forgotten about this comment.

I'm assuming this post was made while playing darkfall.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: January 06, 2009, 05:42:59 PM

No, it's just means Darkfall's developers fall into the category of can't even perform trivial calculations without messing things up, along with a host of other problems.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: January 06, 2009, 07:10:21 PM

I tried to say the same thing to him in the Darkfall thread, but your eloquence exceeds my own.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: January 06, 2009, 07:46:21 PM

For every game with large scale pvp that's actually fun, there is a functioning bipedal mecha.

(should have used that first)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:10:03 PM by DLRiley »
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: January 06, 2009, 07:57:00 PM

Eh?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: January 06, 2009, 08:04:09 PM

For every game with large scale pvp that's actually fun, there is a liberal who doesn't believe in global warming.
You're an idiot who doesn't understand things don't exist in black and white.

Sorry to disappoint you, but two of my colleagues are quite liberal and don't believe in global warming.  They have doctorates in the hard sciences, by the way.  This has nothing to do with games.  Politics is it's own little domain.  I suggest not bringing things outside of it.  (I was going to qualify that, but no.  The nuances would be lost on you.  Don't bring Politics outside of it's forum.  And really, with your wit, you shouldn't be there in the first place.)

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: January 06, 2009, 08:08:56 PM

For every game with large scale pvp that's actually fun, there is a liberal who doesn't believe in global warming.

Sorry to disappoint you, but two of my colleagues are quite liberal and don't believe in global warming.  They have doctorates in the hard sciences, by the way.  This has nothing to do with games.  Politics is it's own little domain.  I suggest not bringing things outside of it.  (I was going to qualify that, but no.  The nuances would be lost on you.  Don't bring Politics outside of it's forum.  And really, with your wit, you shouldn't be there in the first place.)

I was just posting a sterotype to prove a point. My dinosaur analogy can't be used twice you know.

-prepares for extended vacation-
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:12:46 PM by DLRiley »
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: January 06, 2009, 08:12:26 PM

I am carving a new statue in the F13 mausoleum, next to Darksign, Dash, and others in their royal line.  Why do all of my potential apprentices die so young?   cry 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: January 06, 2009, 08:14:15 PM

I am carving a new statue in the F13 mausoleum, next to Darksign, Dash, and others in their royal line.  Why do all of my potential apprentices die so young?   cry 

cry oh sweet sorrow...
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #86 on: January 07, 2009, 01:42:18 AM

hmm.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 01:44:02 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: January 07, 2009, 08:05:59 AM

It's not like I wield the ban stick.  Even if I was right, it wasn't us bitching about it but a mod getting sick of Dash for him to get the boot.

So you're safe for now Tri.  You still have someone to make you look good in comparison.  Enjoy not being our puppy to kick around for a bit longer.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #88 on: January 07, 2009, 08:13:41 AM

He's likely Dash anyhow. Sure acts like it.  Otherwise, we're just blessed to have 2 retards in less than a year cut from the same annoying-colored cloth.

Anyhow, back to Richard Garriot and his lack of any meaningful future in the industry.

-Rasix
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #89 on: January 07, 2009, 08:49:04 AM

I don't usually like to poke at our lovely nubbies but this guy acts like Dash uses uses tenses like HRose.  Gah!  I need tea and saltines!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #90 on: January 07, 2009, 09:02:08 AM

He sounds superficially like Dash but she could at least put sentences together. It's possibly Dash on meth I suppose. Dash at Grunk's rehab clinic perhaps?

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #91 on: January 07, 2009, 10:10:34 AM

Given the litany of names Tri just listed, I propose a ban on ALL new usernames that start with a "D."  why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: January 07, 2009, 12:02:43 PM

They all begin with the letter D too.  Coincidence?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #93 on: January 07, 2009, 12:08:38 PM

You just posted the same thing as Merusk.  The "D" purge shall begin shortly.  We apologize for the delay.

-Rasix
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #94 on: January 07, 2009, 12:13:14 PM

Did we already ban DLRiley?  He hasn't said anything in minutes.  Don't delete Draegan.  I think he's nice.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #95 on: January 07, 2009, 12:19:11 PM

He's such a whammy.

"Me am play gods"
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #96 on: January 07, 2009, 12:19:22 PM

Darniaq's always been a little suspicious, too

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #97 on: January 07, 2009, 12:23:29 PM

NOOOO!  I LOVE Darniaq!  And TripleDes, too.  I know it's 3 Ds but he's so lovely!  STOP DELETING ALL THE D PEOPLE!!!   ACK! ACK! ACK!

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: January 07, 2009, 12:24:35 PM

Yay for "B"!

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: January 07, 2009, 12:37:58 PM

That made me google for images of "D People" and the results were really boring.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: January 07, 2009, 12:46:54 PM

That made me google for images of "D People" and the results were really boring.

LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!

why so serious?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #101 on: January 07, 2009, 04:46:05 PM

You are not a B, you are an M. 

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #102 on: January 07, 2009, 04:48:27 PM

Stop reaming all the Ds. Things can only get better.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #103 on: January 07, 2009, 05:57:12 PM

First they came for the Ds, then the Bs, then the Ms. Soon, nothing stood against them. If only I'd been part of the RST cartel...

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: January 08, 2009, 07:06:15 AM

You are not a B, you are an M. 
Oh #@%!

ACK!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Richard Garriot's Future... More Swords and Dragons Online  
Jump to: