Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 06:16:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 617490 times)
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #455 on: January 23, 2014, 07:21:30 PM

Wow. Cool story, bro.

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #456 on: January 24, 2014, 08:11:51 AM

Not worth the effort to explain a running joke from the 80s....

I'm from the '80's. They don't know what the fuck you are talking about anymore than I do.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: January 24, 2014, 12:20:40 PM

Not worth the effort to explain a running joke from the 80s....
I'm from the '80's. They don't know what the fuck you are talking about anymore than I do.
Not worth the effort... but: I was surprised not to find anything when I googled it, but back in the 80s they had stupid cartoony issues that featured characters like the aformentioned Peter Porker, the Spectacular Spider-ham.  Anthropomorphized versions of all the characters were featured.  Several characters had several representations.  One was a Captain America cow name Cowtain America and people pointed out in the letters to the editer section of one of the Cap Mags that Cap should not have female udders.  There were a few letters that followed responding to it that took the silly thing way too seriously.  When I do a quick goggle, I only see the Captain Americat. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #458 on: January 24, 2014, 12:32:17 PM

Was that really so difficult?

I am a child of that era and read comics all the time. I have never heard of Cowtain America. I had googled Cowtain America back when you first mentioned it, assuming it was something like that but couldn't turn up anything.

I'm assuming a fever dream/confusion with Captain Americat, which I barely remember now seeing it. http://www.comicvine.com/captain-americat/4005-8693/

beer geek.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #459 on: January 24, 2014, 01:54:40 PM

Given the critical importance of this pressing issue...

Rumors indicate the Atwell led Carter series is headed forward with a significant budget.  I'm still scratching my head on why a 50's era series seems like a good idea.  It has all those troubles of needing to keep everything secret to make sure the current continuity makes sense...

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: January 26, 2014, 07:30:55 PM

Because we are running out of nostalgia, and no-one wants to take the risk on a totally fresh idea anymore.

I'm betting 50/50 on a Gamera (Japanese flying turtle monster a la Godzilla) movie in the next 10 years.

Hic sunt dracones.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #461 on: January 26, 2014, 08:09:48 PM

Given the critical importance of this pressing issue...

Rumors indicate the Atwell led Carter series is headed forward with a significant budget.  I'm still scratching my head on why a 50's era series seems like a good idea.  It has all those troubles of needing to keep everything secret to make sure the current continuity makes sense...

Old timey spy stuff is more fun then futuristic spy stuff is my guess. Like, how many 'old' movies would just be over in 5 minutes now that we all have cellphones.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #462 on: January 26, 2014, 08:33:00 PM

How many NEW movies would be over in 5 minutes if they remembered that digital files can be searched, copied and distributed in about as long as it took me to type this?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #463 on: January 28, 2014, 12:25:57 AM

Having to keep everything secret is a benefit for a tv show. Keeps the budget down.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: January 28, 2014, 04:04:57 AM

There's a rumor going around that Avengers will be partially set in South Korea and they are looking for a Korean actress to play the role of a villian.

This one hopes that "Korean" and "villian" are smokescreens.  awesome, for real
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: January 28, 2014, 06:19:17 AM

This one hopes that "Korean" and "villian" are smokescreens.  awesome, for real
Why? If we want to treat people equally, any race, gender, etc... should be equally acceptable in a hero or villain role. This would only enter the realm of unjust, to me, if the role were to be propaganda with stereotypes defining the character... something I think Whedon would walk out before doing.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: January 28, 2014, 06:58:07 AM

This one hopes that "Korean" and "villian" are smokescreens.  awesome, for real
Why? If we want to treat people equally, any race, gender, etc... should be equally acceptable in a hero or villain role. This would only enter the realm of unjust, to me, if the role were to be propaganda with stereotypes defining the character... something I think Whedon would walk out before doing.

This one was hinting at what the actress' role may (or at least hoped to) be.  tongue

eta: sorry I forgot to link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis_(Marvel_Comics) (ok this doesn't work because the link doesn't include the ")"  and I have no idea why. 0.0 DPS )

GoTG has been on my mind a bit, and even though she was an Avenger I preferred her in Annihilation:Conquest and (to a lesser extent) GoTG.

It just occurred to me though how many green people are in the Guardians (total of 4 iirc).

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:11:29 AM by Raguel »
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #467 on: January 28, 2014, 07:57:31 AM

Just give us a link or spoiler something, Raguel.. esssh.

beer geek.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: January 28, 2014, 08:43:04 AM

OK - I missed the reference.  My bad.

I just hope they never touch Eros/Starfox.  That character annoyed the heck out of me.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: January 31, 2014, 05:10:56 PM

OOC: Would you rather they retire IM for a while after Avengers III, or recast? This is assuming IM IV with RDJ is not going to happen.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: January 31, 2014, 05:28:21 PM

I think it's pretty much done for now. Last I heard there wasn't going to be any until at least after Avengers 3. As for recasting? I don't really care, as long as the product is good.

beer geek.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: January 31, 2014, 06:28:02 PM

They are limited to the number of movies they can make in a year, so while i hope to see RDJ in Avengers 2 and 3, I hope to see Panther or Captain Marvel (either of the first 3 will do) take his slot.

I've seen rumors/wishful thinking that Avengers 4 (if there is one) will have a New Avengers lineup. I'd like to see that, personally. The old guard semi-retires (to be rebooted/recast) and leaves Luke Cage in charge. Maybe have Carol, Monica, Quasar, Panther, and Doctor Strange in the mix, or keep the new kids Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver for a bit of continuity.

I'll have to find the story, but apparently Marvel is so jazzed about Winter Soldier they brought back the directors for CA 3. I really hope they knock this year's films out of the park.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: January 31, 2014, 08:39:01 PM

I really doubt they will add Black Panther in, if only because it would be so easy to fuck it up and make it horribly racist.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #473 on: January 31, 2014, 09:04:21 PM

I really doubt they will add Black Panther in, if only because it would be so easy to fuck it up and make it horribly racist.

They could recast him as an Asian.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #474 on: January 31, 2014, 09:10:30 PM

Neil Patrick Harris is...

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: January 31, 2014, 09:11:55 PM

Like, every version of Black Panther I've seen has his nation with space age technology but everyone is still wearing grass skirts and using spears and shit.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: January 31, 2014, 10:40:07 PM

Maybe it's super high tech disguised as grass skirts and spears!

Over and out.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: January 31, 2014, 10:55:52 PM

The noble savage has too much dignity for modern conveniences like pants.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #478 on: January 31, 2014, 11:40:39 PM

Like, every version of Black Panther I've seen has his nation with space age technology but everyone is still wearing grass skirts and using spears and shit.

That's not too terribly different from places like China and India, where you can find nice/advanced stuff but a lot of the country is still operating like it's 800 AD.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:33:12 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: February 01, 2014, 05:34:13 AM

In the comics, esp. the more recent ones, all of the spears and such are essentially just traditionalist window-dressing. It would be hard to do right in a movie, but comic-book Wakanda is actually a pretty interesting place.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: February 01, 2014, 06:35:39 AM

Yeah, in a movie it would most likely come off as weird, especially these days where people hunt for reasons to call something sexist and racist.

I read a polygon review of Bravely Default (If you ever find yourself writing "I read a polygon review" then you've already failed!) and a big point of the review was that the game included a character that was sexist, and thus was itself sexist. People are weird.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: February 01, 2014, 07:49:53 AM

If you've read Priest's BP you'll see a division of Wakanda: some of them are old school tribesmen and some of them are city dwellers of the most (or one of the most, if you count Atlantis and Attilan) advanced nation on the planet, and they pretty much hate each other.

I haven't read anything much after that period so I don't what's changed.  I think what separates Wakanda from the real world is: (a) they have a real pagan god, (b) they've never really been the victim of imperialism  and (c) they've had super smart, hyper-competent leaders for generations.  

So it may not resonate with a lot of people but I still want to see it, especially if it's like Priest's version (which incidentally is a lot like Kirby and Lee's version). I could see them sacrificing a good chunk of that though, but keep the tribesmen rivalry. Hopefully keep the pagan god stuff.

eta: one of the things I liked most about Priest's run was the White Wolf, but bringing him in may seem like they are trying to milk another Thor/Loki relationship.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 08:07:31 AM by Raguel »
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: February 01, 2014, 09:45:58 AM

I read a polygon review of Bravely Default (If you ever find yourself writing "I read a polygon review" then you've already failed!) and a big point of the review was that the game included a character that was sexist, and thus was itself sexist. People are weird.

They gave the game an 8. And mentioned it as one bit that bothered them. That was a pretty big misrepresentation of the article.

Anyway, back to BP and Wakanda. If you're talking about a US production of a movie like this, and suddenly have people dressed with spears and grass skirts... that's going to have a heavy uphill fight with some heavy cultural weight attached to it. It takes a deft hand. A hand that Hollywood has not exactly excelled at.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:50:56 AM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: February 02, 2014, 07:55:10 PM

New Captain America trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpfOREC-eiI

I liked the first one better tbh. This one is more comic booky than thrillerish.

Read a rumor that CA will be forced to go to a shrink by the name of Dr. Sofen.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Also, there's going to be a cameo in Guardians. Some people think it will be Iron Man. I hope it's Adam, Nova or Quasar (either one I guess) but none of those really qualify as major cameos, certainly not an established CU character.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: February 03, 2014, 02:48:11 AM

Cap, Black Widow AND Falcon!  Wooo!  Rogers not wearing the suit in many scenes....uh.  SHIELD has three helicarriers! Uh what?  I don't like that, there should be only one, the helicarrier is this universe's Enterprise.  Falcon looks cool, I hope they have a little red on him somewhere, always liked the red and white suit. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #485 on: February 03, 2014, 09:10:32 AM

Read a rumor that CA will be forced to go to a shrink by the name of Dr. Sofen.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

That means Dr. Faustus will be involved in this somewhere. I'm cool with that. Also, this trailer is awesome.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: February 03, 2014, 02:39:16 PM

Cap, Black Widow AND Falcon!  Wooo!  Rogers not wearing the suit in many scenes....uh.  SHIELD has three helicarriers! Uh what?  I don't like that, there should be only one, the helicarrier is this universe's Enterprise.  Falcon looks cool, I hope they have a little red on him somewhere, always liked the red and white suit. 

Starfleet had more then one ship  why so serious?

Also do not make Falcon look anything like any of his comicbook looks, the fact they managed to make him look cool in the trailers is utterly astounding to me, since he's such a giant flying dork in the comics.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: February 03, 2014, 03:13:16 PM

It also appears that SHIELD has grown significantly after the attack on NY.

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #488 on: February 03, 2014, 03:19:52 PM

I won't spoil what I've guessed based on the original Winter Soldier story.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #489 on: February 03, 2014, 03:23:38 PM

It also appears that SHIELD has grown significantly after the attack on NY.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: