Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:52:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  (Read 532259 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: April 07, 2009, 08:09:35 AM

It was posted for everyone, not for you!  Raspberry

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: April 07, 2009, 08:10:50 AM

Interviews contain too much "I can't talk about that yet" and no timeline for beta or launch.

Fuckers.
More promising than SWTOR, which in the course of just over 2 years announced They were making a studio, they were hiring people, they have a game, it's all storyline based, and it'll be out in a jiffy! Also, I don't know if Ragnar Torquist has ever been this involved with an MMOG. I don't think so, and his presence alone means the world will at the VERY least be worth exploring. I like the whole, NY, London, Seoul thing. Seoul is going to be fucking packed with weaboos though.

I'm sure it will be worth exploring.  I'm seriously interested in this MMG, no doubt about that.  I loved TLJ and Dreamfall, and to a very large extent loved the lore behind AO.

But the "Here's some stuff!  Not too much, though, because we have more stuff coming out in autumn (maybe!)!  And we can't talk about 99 percent of what you want to know and we aren't telling you when the beta starts much less a target business quarter for launch!" shithypetrain should have never left the station.

schild
Administrator

Reply #212 on: April 07, 2009, 08:16:35 AM

But the "Here's some stuff!  Not too much, though, because we have more stuff coming out in autumn (maybe!)!  And we can't talk about 99 percent of what you want to know and we aren't telling you when the beta starts much less a target business quarter for launch!" shithypetrain should have never left the station.

This is all very minimal for a hypetrain. I'm not sure what crawled up your ass about it, but I wouldn't even call this a hype train. I would just call it placating the people that were hounding for some - ANY - information. SWTOR is a hypetrain. This is more like... a hype paddleboat.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #213 on: April 07, 2009, 08:19:02 AM

"Enter the thriving urban environments of New York, London and Seoul, and enjoy the social bustle of modern life."
So it's like, SWG cantinas in the World of World of Warcraft? Ohhhhh, I see.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: April 07, 2009, 08:19:36 AM

"Enter the thriving urban environments of New York, London and Seoul, and enjoy the social bustle of modern life."
So it's like, SWG cantinas in the World of World of Warcraft? Ohhhhh, I see.

rolleyes

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #215 on: April 07, 2009, 08:19:53 AM

They should drop The Secret World as a name. Dark days are coming is far better.

Can't wait for the kill ten leprechauns quest.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: April 07, 2009, 08:24:13 AM

But the "Here's some stuff!  Not too much, though, because we have more stuff coming out in autumn (maybe!)!  And we can't talk about 99 percent of what you want to know and we aren't telling you when the beta starts much less a target business quarter for launch!" shithypetrain should have never left the station.

This is all very minimal for a hypetrain. I'm not sure what crawled up your ass about it, but I wouldn't even call this a hype train. I would just call it placating the people that were hounding for some - ANY - information. SWTOR is a hypetrain. This is more like... a hype paddleboat.

OK.  You're right to a certain extent (hype train v hype paddleboat).  But it's not like the TSW forums had more than a handful of active members.  Wouldn't you agree it would have been best to just leave well enough alone and have a much bigger splash with more info than 'we can't talk about that yet'?  All it's going to do is temporarily boost their stock price, increase registration count, and have a short term effect on forum participation.

Then it will be a ghost town again.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #217 on: April 07, 2009, 08:25:58 AM

Actually, he's probably saving info for E3.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: April 07, 2009, 08:31:13 AM

OK.  You're right to a certain extent (hype train v hype paddleboat).  But it's not like the TSW forums had more than a handful of active members.  Wouldn't you agree it would have been best to just leave well enough alone and have a much bigger splash with more info than 'we can't talk about that yet'?  All it's going to do is temporarily boost their stock price, increase registration count, and have a short term effect on forum participation.

Then it will be a ghost town again.

Uh, there is a ton of info in the vids i posted that was an unknown before.

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: April 07, 2009, 08:33:36 AM

They should drop The Secret World as a name. Dark days are coming is far better.

But as with all MMOs, it'll be known by its acronym. TSW vs DDAC. Not sure I like either now that I've spelled them out. The former sounds like a corporation and the latter sounds like a committee.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: April 07, 2009, 08:40:53 AM

rolleyes
As much as i'd like it not to be the case, that's what the 'modern social bustle' boils down to in MMOs. Vide Second Life or even Funcom's very own AO.

Even their fact sheet specifically talks of "evening at the local nightclub becoming a night of terror".
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: April 07, 2009, 09:14:16 AM

Lord knows modern horror isn't a fertile ground for gaming of any sort.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: April 07, 2009, 10:00:53 AM

I have a lot more faith in Ragnar than Gaute. My main hope is that they can actually keep the hype down in this one, and focus on a great PvE game without distractions from a forum full of mouthbreathers.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: April 07, 2009, 10:25:43 AM

Well that is an interesting question.

Will there be PvP? Can we side with the, uh, dark side? Or is this purely PvE?
schild
Administrator

Reply #224 on: April 07, 2009, 10:29:56 AM

I have a lot more faith in Ragnar than Gaute. My main hope is that they can actually keep the hype down in this one, and focus on a great PvE game without distractions from a forum full of mouthbreathers.

Well that is an interesting question.

Will there be PvP? Can we side with the, uh, dark side? Or is this purely PvE?

These comments in succession are awesome.
Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: April 07, 2009, 10:35:44 AM

I've always prefered PvE and PvP. Not sure if a purely PvE MMO is for me, unless the co-op content is beyond regular MMO's.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #226 on: April 07, 2009, 10:37:47 AM

I prefer to have some form of PvP in my MMOs - but if it makes sense in the context of the game to not have any kind of PvP, so be it.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
schild
Administrator

Reply #227 on: April 07, 2009, 10:50:07 AM

Durham, USA – April 7th, 2009 – Dark days are coming. The words are now everywhere. After deciding to make the development its next massively multiplayer online game a little less secret, Funcom have now released information, artworks and the first ever trailer video for `The Secret World'. Journalists across the world recently had the chance to sit down and talk to game director Ragnar Tørnquist about the new game and hear his vision, thus generating reports on websites everywhere such as Eurogamer, GameTrailers, and MMORPG.com.

"It is great to finally be able to talk about The Secret World, after several years in the dark," says senior producer and director Ragnar Tørnquist. "The real world is such a rich and fascinating setting for an MMO, and we are able to draw inspiration from ancient history, stories of lost cities and forgotten civilizations, folktales, urban legends, conspiracy theories and pop culture. We are building a game that mixes modern day Earth with terrifying monsters, dark and occult magic, cool weapons and awesome powers - and it's unlike anything you have ever seen before in an MMO."

`The Secret World' takes place in our own, modern-day world. Players can explore locations such as New York, London, and Seoul, as they unravel the mysteries, legends and myths that make up our world and its history. But the real and realistic will clash with the unreal and fantastical, as the darkness of the secret world approaches. Not only will `The Secret World' offer a setting never before experienced in an MMO, Funcom is also expanding on the genre standards by introducing gameplay that is not based on classes or levels. Players will have the freedom to become whatever they want to be and play however they want to play, allowing them to explore the world at will and master anything from voodoo and black magic to martial arts and modern firearms.

I has PR.
Bokonon
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: April 07, 2009, 10:52:06 AM

Durham, USA – April 7th, 2009 – Dark days are coming. The words are now everywhere. After deciding to make the development its next massively multiplayer online game a little less secret, Funcom have now released information, artworks and the first ever trailer video for `The Secret World'. Journalists across the world recently had the chance to sit down and talk to game director Ragnar Tørnquist about the new game and hear his vision, thus generating reports on websites everywhere such as Eurogamer, GameTrailers, and MMORPG.com.

"It is great to finally be able to talk about The Secret World, after several years in the dark," says senior producer and director Ragnar Tørnquist. "The real world is such a rich and fascinating setting for an MMO, and we are able to draw inspiration from ancient history, stories of lost cities and forgotten civilizations, folktales, urban legends, conspiracy theories and pop culture. We are building a game that mixes modern day Earth with terrifying monsters, dark and occult magic, cool weapons and awesome powers - and it's unlike anything you have ever seen before in an MMO."

`The Secret World' takes place in our own, modern-day world. Players can explore locations such as New York, London, and Seoul, as they unravel the mysteries, legends and myths that make up our world and its history. But the real and realistic will clash with the unreal and fantastical, as the darkness of the secret world approaches. Not only will `The Secret World' offer a setting never before experienced in an MMO, Funcom is also expanding on the genre standards by introducing gameplay that is not based on classes or levels. Players will have the freedom to become whatever they want to be and play however they want to play, allowing them to explore the world at will and master anything from voodoo and black magic to martial arts and modern firearms.

I has PR.

I'm getting a bit excited. If only because this is looking like Lost Continents, but grittier and more modern. But I'm probably one of 5 people that feel that way.
SeaCell
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: April 07, 2009, 11:42:29 AM

Following the FunCom business model, 2.5 years and 2 xpacs later this will end up being a fun title to play.

Sorry just can't bite this time, AoC was the fool me twice.
Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: April 07, 2009, 12:07:17 PM

Will the surgical removal of Gaute Godager result in a good, solid gaming experience for this new title at launch?

That is really what I am wondering the most.
SeaCell
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: April 07, 2009, 12:23:16 PM

Godager's mouth was always writing checks FC couldn't cash. I think their problems run a lot deeper than one person.

no classes, no levels, 'reactive' combat makes it sound like they are going for minimal core mechanics, which IMO is what got AoC in so much trouble.

I wish they would stick to what they are good at, single player games with great writing. They fail at MMO.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: April 07, 2009, 01:43:57 PM

no classes, no levels, 'reactive' combat makes it sound like they are going for minimal core mechanics, which IMO is what got AoC in so much trouble.

Wat?  No classes and no levels doesn't correlate to minimal core mechanics.  I don't know if you've played any 'skill based' games like, UO, EVE, or etc... but minimal core mechanics is not a phrase that describes them.

As far as AoC goes the combat was fun and intuitive, the graphics were good to great, the classes were interesting and varied (at least as much of them as was in place at launch) and it was STABLE.  The below 20 experience was amazing, at least once through, the 20-30 areas were very well done.

What killed them as was that all the stats, they did nothing and that the finished content stopped at the mid 30's.  That's a symptom of running out of time, not being unable to make MMOs.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: April 07, 2009, 02:16:09 PM

Will the surgical removal of Gaute Godager result in a good, solid gaming experience for this new title at launch?

That is really what I am wondering the most.
Afraid it'll result in another Dreamfall. Nice story, weak game, shipped half done with the development team moved to chase after another shiny.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #234 on: April 07, 2009, 02:37:05 PM

Sweeeeeet. And yes, modern setting. I so loved April and Zoe.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
SeaCell
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: April 07, 2009, 02:40:00 PM

I guess I should clarify. I am all for non-archetype character formats. it's an FC version of no classes no levels that I fear. AoC's FPS-ish core, gear = no advantage, no reqs for gear, no specialty gear and skill trees that scream cookie-cutter, made the game play insanely shallow. I am leery that TSW will be a Horror skinned AoC.

Dunno how you can try to parallel it to something like EvE with broad character progression, situational equipment, career specializations & 'hybridizing' and a system where time invested = a more powerful toon. Let alone the sandbox vs. narrow gauge railroad of AoC.

Strip the graphics and AoC's core is about as complex as a cell phone game.

I still find it hard to wrap my head around the fact AoC came from the same company that made Anarchy Online, the polar opposite of game depth.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 02:43:42 PM by SeaCell »
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #236 on: April 07, 2009, 03:07:06 PM

Strip the graphics and AoCEvery Single Big Budget MMO Ever Made's core is about as complex as a cell phone game.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #237 on: April 07, 2009, 03:41:20 PM

God I hope this game is good. Just for the setting alone. I am so ready for a "world of darkness" type setting. Or something along that style. Now, do I think this game will be good? Probably not. BUT I CAN HOPE!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #238 on: April 07, 2009, 03:42:09 PM

Quote from: Seacell
I am leery that TSW will be a Horror skinned AoC.

What is your problem? You don't believe in Funcom's ability to make a third, completely different MMORPG when you just stated their first twos were in fact completely different? They said no classes, no levels... where does it even remotely reminds you of Age of Conan?

To blame Funcom perennial unfinished and precarious state of their games would be one thing. To blame their lack of depth would be ridiculous.

In fact, speaking of AO vs AoC then, you got the latter wrong. "Depth" doesn't only lie in characer customization or progression. AoC was supposed to focus on combat (check) and world building (fail so far. They couldn't finish it before launch. Rightful blame!) as opposed to generic diku #267 meaning items and more items. Those two systems were supposed to be very deep and the choice to strip diku-tradition characters of some supposed depth was to empower players and their action-arcade-fps tradition skills. A goal they achieved, and that's why it shines in PvP, but didn't meet the expected results in terms of commercial success. It means it was a poor financial/strategic decision, it means it was unfinished, doesn't mean it is a shallow or bad game.

You don't like AoC because you are looking for something else, not because it sucks.

Fake edit: and yes, Itto nailed you. At least Funcom gave us combat. Other MMORPGS are basically fantasy versions of Football Manager.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: April 07, 2009, 05:03:06 PM

God I hope this game is good. Just for the setting alone. I am so ready for a "world of darkness" type setting. Or something along that style. Now, do I think this game will be good? Probably not. BUT I CAN HOPE!

What about World of Darkness? Because you know...
schild
Administrator

Reply #240 on: April 07, 2009, 05:06:10 PM

What about World of Darkness? Because you know...
From spreadsheets in space to vampire larping spreadsheets on the streets.
SeaCell
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: April 07, 2009, 05:21:30 PM

What is your problem? You don't believe in Funcom's ability to make a third, completely different MMORPG when you just stated their first twos were in fact completely different? They said no classes, no levels... where does it even remotely reminds you of Age of Conan?

To blame Funcom perennial unfinished and precarious state of their games would be one thing. To blame their lack of depth would be ridiculous.

Same engine, being dev'd for XboX, self-described 'reactive' combat system, FC's long history of recycling and re-skinning to make  content (a lot of AoC mob animations are easily recognizable from AO).

It's great that they wanted to break outside of the mold with AoC, too bad the best they could come up with was gene splicing wow-skill-tree-fps-mortal-combat-fatality-pvp-honor-grind-guild-wars-private-karaoke-booth-game-world. Guess as an AO fan I expected a lot more from a company used to innovate in the genre.

As for 'my problem'? Other than AoC Fans quick to gain ire with people critical of the title? None really.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #242 on: April 07, 2009, 06:25:56 PM

Same engine

Yes, because having the same graphical engine is more telling about gameplay than having a completely different game design (classes and levels in AoC, no classes and no levels in TSW)

being dev'd for XboX

Yes, because having the same silly ambitions when it comes to console markets is more telling about gameplay than having a completely different game design (classes and levels in AoC, no classes and no levels in TSW)

self-described 'reactive' combat system

AoC combat is not "reactive". What does that mean anyway? So not sharing anything here. But would be points for TSW if they can steal AoC combat, unless you liked the "so much deeper" Anarchy Online autoattack-based combat more.  awesome, for real

FC's long history of recycling and re-skinning to make  content (a lot of AoC mob animations are easily recognizable from AO).

Yes, because having the same mob animations is more telling about gameplay than having a completely different design (classes and levels in AoC, no classes and no levels in TSW)

You seem more concerned about the look of TSW than its gameplay. Make peace with yourself and stop mentioning depth or the lack of when they obviously have nothing to do with why you play games.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #243 on: April 07, 2009, 06:55:29 PM

AoC combat is not "reactive".

It is and isn't. It's reactive because, playing as a melee class, you'll target the initially randomly assigned unshielded areas of an enemy. It's also active because you know that, usually, after you hit the unshielded area, the mob's shields will go there, so you can just queue up an attack to hit some other area before your PC finishes striking the first area. Mind you, any system like AoC's, that makes me look at the screen while I play is better than what most mmo's offer.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:58:05 PM by Itto »

SeaCell
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: April 07, 2009, 07:13:23 PM

So what is it? is it my low post count or my dislike of AoC that has your blood boiling Falconeer?

FunCom started as a company that was imaginative and 'scratch built' MMO ideas and has slowly slid toward being one that cobbles together piss poor replicas of what has worked for other games,  chasing after bigger market share.

Why am i highly suspect of TSW?, hell everyone should be with their track record.

As for "they say no levels no classes!' .. Anyone who was an FC customer prior to AoC can recite strings of examples of FC making statements that don't remotely resemble what they actually deliver. AO Vets still mock FC anytime they make big promises with a simple "There will be no camping in Shadowlands!"

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: Dark Days Are Coming - New Funcom Project  
Jump to: