Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:12:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Have we talked about Dark Wind yet? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Have we talked about Dark Wind yet?  (Read 38384 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #70 on: April 09, 2010, 12:57:24 PM

If you wait until your guy/gal gets seriously injured, there is a good chance they will bleed out while the race resolves itself. Best thing to do is to watch your armor like a hawk and be ready to resign at the first sign of any blue text (or the turn before you are going to be breached, ideally). It doesn't hurt too much when you first start, but losing gangers with decent skill levels is fucking hideous.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: April 10, 2010, 03:29:21 PM

I'd also suggest driving out of the path of other cars. Nothing getting breached in the first 10 turns and the waiting 2 more laps resigned to have a car plow into you on the last lap.

WayAbvPar

Reply #72 on: April 12, 2010, 08:51:27 AM

So- I got raped all weekend- lost cars, gangers, etc. Just horrible luck (and probably horrible playing, but that is another story). Go out on a scout out of Texan with my brother and another friend of ours. 6 v 3, with one of the NPCs in a Buzzer (like a HMMV, and reasonably rare). We take off an string them out, and lose one of the pickups chasing us. We then blast the first 2 cars that catch up. The Buzzer rolls up with dual Car Cannons ablazing. It chases my brother around a small tar pit- very deep, but hardly big enough for a car to fit in. As it goes by, a few bursts from my dual HMGs and the Buzzer slides down into the hole!

We finish off the rest of the bad guys. The Buzzer still hasn't demo'ed yet, so I creep up to the edge of the pit and can JUST target him. 3 rounds of HMG through his roof convinces him it is time to give up. I shockingly get first pick, and the Buzzer is at 95% chassis, with the car cannons both completely intact! It is being fixed right now, so I will soon have a very nasty platform. Finally some good luck!

So, back in Somerset after that scout. Decide to run one last Death Race before I go to bed to get a bit of cash and some more skillups for my top gunner (who I pair with one of my scouts). Notice that a friend of mine is already in it, and Sutro joins up as well. There is a 4th PC gang in named Feeding Frenzy. Right before the start, Sutro, The Fatalistics (my buddy) and I all agree to a truce. Nothing from FF. Hmm. We get started in the race. I swing out wide left to get behind the NPCs. Sutro does much the same, with TF out front and FF lagging back with us. I take off right behind FF and the rest of the NPCs. Suddenly FF has slammed on his brakes/reversed right in my path. I pull the ebrake and swerve, but still clip him.

I am now extremely suspicious. A couple of spectators have now joined the race and are watching. FF opens fire on my the next round. "No truce, huh?" I ask. No response. He fires on me again the next round. We are driving paper thin pickups, so he has almost breached my armor. I ask my two companions in the race to make sure that none of FF's gangers live through his betrayal/ambush, and turn my wounded side away from him.

Meanwhile, Sutro has spun around and is getting into position on FF- something he really didn't expect. One of the spectators pipes up and offers $100,000 for the deaths of any/all of FF's crew- apparently he has a reputation for killing PC gangers in combats and death races, even if they resign (and are no longer in the race), so this guy is a total dick. He chews through my armor on my right side, but then Sutro gets into him. I scurry away to present my rear armor (untouched so far) to him , but he finally figures out that he has a bigger problem than chasing me down. Sutro manuevers around, kills his engine, and then kills (who we later learned was) his gang leader and best medic. He managed to escape his other crew member, but our spectator was happy and sent Sutro $100k  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Nothing like some unexpected PvP to get the ol' ticker racing. I would have been extremely pissed if I lost my gunner...Sutro is my new hero! In the future, I will avoid FF or be prepared to kill him first. Had another guy shoot at me earlier in the weekend (The Crayons), but he didn't bother killing my crew after I resigned and told him to fuck off.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Abysmal Horror
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: April 12, 2010, 11:28:53 AM

I'd also suggest driving out of the path of other cars. Nothing getting breached in the first 10 turns and the waiting 2 more laps resigned to have a car plow into you on the last lap.

Even this cannot save you from terribads like myself: I accidentally rammed yet another resigned driver last night. (Didn't kill this one, though.)

The only other PC in the race was also a bad driver, and bad drivers that we are, we hit the first turn too hot, overtaking the pack of cars that were already in the turn.

I had the inside line, and the other PC hit me from the outside while one or two NPCs hit him from his outside. Somehow I managed to squeak through, but the other PC was knocked unconscious and lost control of his car (in which order I'm not sure), ending up basically parallel-parked next to the enormous concrete pylon on the inside corner of the turn.

Of course, on the next lap, I ended up T-boning the poor bastard when I misjudged the turn. At least he kept me off the pylon! Thumbs up!

So, WayAbvPar, I was registered for a race you were in, but I wasn't able to make it, as the baby called. Sorry I missed you again! I must say, though, that I love, love, love the fact that this game allows timeouts and resignations.  I gave up WoW after my son was born, even though my guildies were very supportive, because I just couldn't stand leaving people hanging for random amounts of time at random intervals.

Not Canadian.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #74 on: April 13, 2010, 04:25:15 AM

If someone denied an offered truce, I would do everything I could to red their gangers.

That's the spirit! :)

Seriously, fuck skillup characters. It's a game about killing, go play Farmville if you want to skillup. Here, it's deathrace for a reason.

EDIT: WAP, your PvP story is great and I think it shows once more how cool Darkwind is. Kudos for your team gettin the deserved reward, and kudos to the FF guy, for playing the bad guy and adding the real spice to this game.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 04:31:44 AM by Falconeer »

Abysmal Horror
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: April 16, 2010, 06:38:14 AM

I may be hooked.

I was getting awfully frustrated with the lack of improvement in my driving, as I finished last in each of the first dozen events I ran.  (Finishing last was good enough for 3rd place in one event, but only because all my other opponents had obliterated each other.)

But finally the sun broke through the clouds, and last night I finished a race 4th of 12 under my own power -- and I was just aced out of 2nd place because another driver clipped me in the final turn.  The difference?  IT WAS AN ASPHALT TRACK.  I didn't know that clean asphalt tracks even existed in this game; every one of my previous events was on a track that was predominantly, if not entirely, dirt or sand.  Thanks, RNG!   swamp poop

It's quite a relief to learn that I just don't (yet) know how to drive on dirt and sand, rather than not knowing how to drive in this game, period.  I was starting to think about moving on, but now I'll probably end up subscribing.

Not Canadian.
WayAbvPar

Reply #76 on: April 16, 2010, 09:51:02 AM

I am still struggling with driving at times. There is usually so many other things going on that get distracted, and suddenly I am coming up on a turn going WAY too fast. I have learned that liberal application of the e-brake helps sometimes. Other times it just makes you spin all over hell's half acre.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: April 16, 2010, 10:03:15 AM

The e-brake is woefully unrealistic.  Basically the "Easy" button.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: April 16, 2010, 12:18:31 PM

The e-brake is woefully unrealistic.  Basically the "Easy" button.

Maybe you haven't been doing enough real life racing in ramshackle cars with machine guns mounted to the hoods. Hmm, hmm?

Alright, a week from now, I'm here.

Abysmal Horror
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: April 27, 2010, 09:05:44 AM

So, a vet offered to give me an SUV for free -- but only if I came to pick it up myself at the Badlands Truck Stop, about 800 miles or so south of Somerset (the starting zone).  I set off with three guys in a Phoenix muscle car with a 4L engine and no real guns, just a few rockets in the back to discourage tailgaters.  I got jumped by a couple cars between Somerset and Gateway, but I was able to floor it and ditch them.  Then, on my way from Gateway to Badlands, I ran into a more serious ambush, with one car in front and three cars behind, in pretty broken terrain.  I tried to drive out of it, but I took a little rise at about 120 mph and went nose-first into the rocks, destroying my engine and setting the car on fire.  Of course, I had to ditch and flee the wreck.

My gangers then had to hump it on foot the rest of the way.  I was attacked by a pair of giant mutated wolves, but I killed them with rifles, and now my guys are supposed to arrive in Badlands sometime this afternoon.  I sure hope the vet comes through with the SUV!   ACK!  I'm not too worried about it; this same guy gave me those rifles, which pull down about $3,000 to $5,000 each in Noobville, for $1 each.  (OR SHOULD I BE EVEN MORE WORRIED??  Nah, this isn't EVE.   this guy looks legit)

Not Canadian.
WayAbvPar

Reply #80 on: April 28, 2010, 01:20:41 PM

The vets in DW are almost all pretty good folks, especially when it comes to getting n00bs up and running.

God this game can be punitive. Hired some extra gangers in Texan (where cars are dirt cheap) to drive a new Apache back up to Somerset. Added a spike dropper on the back, a couple of gatling guns in front, and a shitload of ammo, and headed to Shantyville. Since I don't have a scout, I had 3 encounters (which I think is the max for one travel session). The spike dropper did wonders to keep the pirates off of me, and I got to Shantyville with just a few scrapes. Repaired the armor, but there was no spike dropper ammo available at all. FUCK.

Set out toward Badlands Truck Stop anyway- got ambushed at the front gates. Ran back into town, but still had to wait 3 hours for the travel time  Ohhhhh, I see. Tried again later. Got through the exit encounter, but had all 3 of my gangers panic and get demoralized without taking any damage (car was getting shelled pretty good and I was outnumbered 5-1). So the car goes away and those pussies walk home to Shantyville. At least the fuckers could have walked to Badlands!

A few hours later my buddy and I were waiting on my brother to do a scout in Texan, so we joined a combat in SS and ended up on the same team. I was running away in points. Ran out of ammo for both guns, so I started adding points by circling the track. My buddy did the same thing, except he was going the other direction. We were going about the same speed and kept passing each other at the gates. With about 20 turns to go, we were once again coming together. I slid around the corner, but not quite as wide as I should have. My buddy slid out a little farther than he should have. We both realized at the same time that we were going to collide- him into my left side with 1 armor left. He said "This is going to be bad." BANG- driver dead. Not injured and bleeding, not paralyzed, just DEAD. It was actually pretty amusing. She still won the combat on points though  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

So, we go on a scout with my brother. I was out of cars in SS, so I bought a Moose off the marketplace and took it out with 2 new gangers. My brother brought 2 cars, and our buddy one. We ran away from the 6 or 7 bad guys and set up in a little hollow on top of a dune- the plan being to get all 4 cars worth of guns on each pirate as he crested the ridge. Our buddy sneaks up to the ridge before they arrive "just for a few top shots" and all hell breaks loose. I had set up in the back of the hollow, so I was out of the fight for 20 turns as I tried to get forward. 4 or 5 cars ended up catching fire during the fight, including mine (that is pretty rare). I was stopped when it happened, so I bailed my gunner out. The driver was momentarily stunned, so she had to stay in the car until she could move. Literally the turn after it caught fire, the car BLEW UP. The gunner was thrown clear and knocked unconscious, but the driver was killed instantly. We ended up getting raped in the combat and had to walk home.

Fun game, but goddamn can it kick your ass sometimes.

WayAbvPar

Reply #81 on: October 17, 2014, 09:49:39 AM

ARISE.

Furiously and I are playing this again. Apparently WoT wasn't frustrating enough. Having fun for now!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #82 on: October 17, 2014, 10:00:13 AM

Always loved this. I might come back. Also, oddly enough, this is now on Steam.

WayAbvPar

Reply #83 on: October 17, 2014, 10:02:01 AM

Yeah, that is what sparked us into checking it out again.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Have we talked about Dark Wind yet?  
Jump to: