Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:12:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Some Comments on Odin Sphere 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some Comments on Odin Sphere  (Read 31891 times)
McCow
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 30, 2007, 11:12:09 AM

Finally got my copy.  It's going to stay in wrap till I finish Etrian Odyssey so I can take everything in.

Words words words
schild
Administrator

Reply #36 on: May 30, 2007, 11:13:17 AM

This game has become hard as shit to find btw.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #37 on: May 30, 2007, 04:27:45 PM

If anyone in the Philadelphia metro area needs a copy, PM me; I should be able to get ahold of one for a few people if need be. Also outside of the area as well, if you want to pay shipping.

No promises.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Cory Jacobs
Terracotta Army

It's so bad.

Reply #38 on: June 01, 2007, 10:03:30 PM

You also can just order it off www.rosenqueen.com

A - Z is for Cory, who is awesome in every way.
Strazos

Reply #39 on: June 01, 2007, 10:14:49 PM

They're still only showing a pre-order SKU. Not sure what their situation is.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #40 on: June 03, 2007, 02:46:58 AM

Finally managed to track down a copy today, and started playing.  I'd read the review, but figured I'd start on normal difficulty anyways.   Did that, played with it there for a bit, and then switched to easy...  This quote from the review:

This can make for some interesting battles since you constantly have, let's say... a thirty percent chance of being blind-sided by an enemy and killed instantly. If there's one thing Odin Sphere has in abundance besides the "pretties" is cheap deaths.

Wow, is this ever true...  I just finished the Valkyrie path battle with Demon Lord Odin and well, I lost count of how many tries it took...  He had so many attacks that did 90% or more of my life (effectively instant kills, because you can't really stay at 100% all the time) I ended up just trying over and over...  Any hit with the spiky blue ball, most of his 2 and 3 hit punch combos...  My character just couldn't take it...   In the end, my strategy became:  1) Any time you see the spiky blue ball, RUN AWAY!!! 2) Any time you're below 50% stamina (or whatever that meter is called), RUN AWAY!  3) Any time you're below 60% (150 for me) life, RUN AWAY!  4) If none of those conditions are met, jump behind him and do a 4 attack combo.  Even then, it still took a ton of tries to beat him.

It's nice to see a challenging level of difficulty like this, but on easy?

Besides that it's really a great game.  Amazing graphics, great audio, interesting story...  It actually reminds me of the GameCube RPG, Tales of Symphonia, in a few ways.  Even the difficulty in a way...  ToS had a special bonus you could get by going through a good amount of the game without taking the newbie wooden sword off the main character.  Odin Sphere's difficulty is like that, except for Odin Sphere, it's what they call easy, rather than some extra bonus mode. ;-)

If you have a PS2 or PS3 to play it on, and can find it, get it.  Great game. :)   Thanks for pointing it out here. :)
Strazos

Reply #41 on: June 03, 2007, 07:44:35 AM

Sounds like someone needs to use food more often.

Fear the Backstab!
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #42 on: June 03, 2007, 01:07:23 PM

Sounds like someone needs to use food more often.
Maybe I should have, earlier on...  For most of the early game it was finish a level, and absorb all the photons...  I'll worry about those seeds later...  Lately I've been eating all I can.

Now I'm at the underworld, and am blocked by two boss battles.  Not in good shape on gear either, as I'm low on food / seeds.  Got the cash together to get the vampiric ring, but sadly found that the hp returned per hit is 1 hp, when stuff is generally hitting me for 40+.

I still stand by my great game comment. :)
Strazos

Reply #43 on: June 03, 2007, 02:29:44 PM

Yeah, that ring is a sucker's deal, which I too found out the hard way. I found it better to either use a shield ring to blunt the damage, or a talisman to negate the status effects.

Fear the Backstab!
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 04, 2007, 08:11:36 PM

Can anyone confirm/deny the allegations of slowdown in the game?  It's a bit of a deal-breaker for me if a game has technical issues as severe as not being able to run properly on the hardware it was designed for.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 04, 2007, 08:45:09 PM

Can anyone confirm/deny the allegations of slowdown in the game?  It's a bit of a deal-breaker for me if a game has technical issues as severe as not being able to run properly on the hardware it was designed for.

Strong, strong confirm.  It was mentioned in the review briefly, but there is SERIOUS slowdown in this game, at least in the PS2 version (and the review was using the PS3 version).  For half of the last chapter of the first book, the game was in major slowdown.  For the ENTIRE final boss fight in that chapter, the game was massively slowing down (and moving at half speed is not fun when it's combined with the whole "oops, you died instantly" factor and the "you did 167 damage, boss has 3,287,433 hp remaining" nature of the boss fights).

Still fun, though.  Boss fights annoy the hell out of me, but the rest of the game I am really loving.  Thanks for reccomending it, everyone.
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #46 on: June 04, 2007, 09:04:03 PM

Yeah, I looked around on a couple message boards, and the general opinion was that playing it on the PS3 helps a little bit, but on PS2 or PS3 there are places you run into massive slowdown.  Maybe someone else here can come up with something else, but the valkyrie path final boss in the underworld is actually the slowest I've ever seen a PS2 game ever run.

Time to go play some more. :)
Strazos

Reply #47 on: June 04, 2007, 09:37:09 PM

I think Kail meant to say the game slows down on the PS3, not the PS3 versionevil

Anyway....yeah, there's slowdown. I most or less ignore it.

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Some Comments on Odin Sphere  
Jump to: