Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:53:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Some Comments on Odin Sphere 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some Comments on Odin Sphere  (Read 31900 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: May 03, 2007, 04:15:38 AM

Some Comments on Odin Sphere

Surely, by now, you've heard about Odin Sphere. It's a game that Atlus showed a tiny bit of behind very closed doors last year at E3 and then sat in a sort of guaranteed limbo. Everyone knew Atlus was developing it but no one knew when or how an announcement would come as - afaik - SCEA had not yet said 'yay' or 'nay' on it. Well, its release is imminent (05/22/07) and I've logged about 12 hours in it. The first thing I'd really like to get off my chest is that this title is fucking gorgeous. If there was ever a time where 'fucking' described a hand-drawn 2D video game, this is that time. And you can't really appreciate what it's doing until it's on your TV, in front of you, and you're controlling it. At first things may seem a bit awkward, but as you get into it, the controls become an extension of your hands. It's really quite incredible how this whole thing came together.

The other thing I'd like to say is this: I don't think I've scratched the surface. That's not to say there's too much to the game. But quite the contrary. I want more. I froth for more. I don't think they can give me enough. Every time I get a grip on something, they throw in a twist. You've seen previews that have mentioned the growing of plants. Yea, that's just the beginning.

After I log maybe 30 or probably 40 hours with this title I might be able to say something cohesive. But really, if you own a PS2 and like brawlers, RPGs, or exquisitely crafted games then you owe it to yourself to pre-order this. That's right, I said pre-order. That may even involve shopping at a EBGamestop. And I'm sorry for that. But if you're one of those "Awesome, I'll wait to get it used" or "I'll wait for the price to drop" type guys and you say that with this title... I will cut you.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 04:18:28 AM

This is one of the few games I've been wanting to pick up at full price.  Everything I've heard so far has been, from previews to some stuff mentioned over at Penny Arcade has been positive.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 04:19:42 AM

Now, I'm not quite far enough in to say this, but I'll say it very lightly...

this is game of the year material
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 04:32:55 AM

Also, I should mention, I was purposefully vague with a lot of shit because 1. Press Embargo, 2. Some of this shit is really complex, I'm not even sure how the actual full story flows yet.
McCow
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 08:05:02 AM

I watched the trailer when it was linked on PA and found myself drooling over the art and the freaking beautiful sprite work.  It's on my must buy list since then.

I've had good luck at finding Altus games at Toys R Us which allows me to safely avoid the mouthbreathers at EB. (Summon Night 1/2 and Trauma Center before the re-release come to mind)   

Words words words
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 08:08:05 AM

Summon Night and Trauma Center had pretty big runs all things considered. But hey, I'm not the one taking chances. :P
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 08:14:32 AM

Are you saying this might not be for sale at the Atlus store?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
McCow
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 08:16:24 AM

Summon Night and Trauma Center had pretty big runs all things considered. But hey, I'm not the one taking chances. :P

Hmm. I don't really have access to those numbers so I will take your word for it.  Great, now I have to brave the EB.

"Do you want to purchase scratch protection on this?"
"You mean on this DS game?"
"Yes"
"...."

Words words words
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 08:26:47 AM

I think I'm gonna have to write a primer on dealing with EBGames. Remember, most of these people are high school drones or just plain retarded. If you're not cool with the people at EB, just tell them fuck no, you just want to preorder a game. Remember, despite being - BY FAR - the best place to preorder anything, they are an evil, evil corporation who is hurting the industry more than helping it.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 08:31:55 AM

So a "brawler" means something like Streets of Rage or Final Fight? But with Vikings?

"Me am play gods"
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 08:36:11 AM

It's a 2D sidescrolling brawler, like Final Fight - very loosely speaking.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 09:28:35 AM

Surely, by now, you've heard about Odin Sphere.
Nope.

GotY? Stiff competition.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 09:31:23 AM

Uhm. There is only one GOTY. God of War 2.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 12:05:09 PM

I think I'm gonna have to write a primer on dealing with EBGames. Remember, most of these people are high school drones or just plain retarded. If you're not cool with the people at EB, just tell them fuck no, you just want to preorder a game. Remember, despite being - BY FAR - the best place to preorder anything, they are an evil, evil corporation who is hurting the industry more than helping it.

Ooo, now That would be a fun one.

Also, I agree with you. Most of the management is either braindead, douchebags, or quaking in fear of their moronic District Manager who is painfully out of touch with reality. Sometimes, all 3 apply.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 12:12:48 PM

Uhm. There is only one GOTY. God of War 2.

This one should beat it for not being a sequel.

I'll be picking it uip, and I'm one of those wait till later guys.
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 01:12:27 PM

I watched the trailer for this and.... are you guys on some mass hallucination?!
 shocked
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 01:36:57 PM

Is it that bad looking to you really? Hand drawn brawler-rpg = Win.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 03:21:18 PM

I watched the trailer for this and.... are you guys on some mass hallucination?!
 shocked

Action RPG with good art direction and some unique gameplay twists?  Sounds pretty damn good to me.
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 03:51:47 PM

The story gets kinda out there also. I'm not far enough to say It's as good as say, Disgaea, but it's more than entertaining thus far. The story structure is just simply incoherent to me at the moment.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 05:29:24 PM

shocked

I don't know - looks purty to me. At least it has some style and quality art direction as opposed to relying on "4 trillion pixel shaders and BLOOM, lotsa BLOOM!"

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 07:42:05 PM

Um... no.  I'm with JoeTF's sentiment; not GOTY, no way.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 08:45:28 PM

Um... no.  I'm with JoeTF's sentiment; not GOTY, no way.

You'd know.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 09:03:53 PM

Maybe.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007, 08:25:01 PM

It actually IS a pretty fun game.  I'll be damned.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 09:04:01 AM

It should win something just based on looks.  UPSCALED IN THE PS3, BITCHES!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: May 24, 2007, 09:07:29 AM

Yea, it's hot in the PS3. We have a review incoming.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 24, 2007, 01:36:34 PM

I don't really understand why people get excited with upscaling. I find upscaled graphics to be awful. Either they are blocky or they have some horrible blurring smoothing applied.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Strazos

Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007, 04:44:17 PM

I'll still be playing it on my Super Old Skool TV. And it will look great.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 24, 2007, 05:20:19 PM

I've played through the first chapter now and I'm quite happy with the game.  It's a great mix of old school brawler and RPG. 

I already want to start a wish list for a sequel though.  More quests, more freedom in regards to exploration, bigger game world, more art assets, and a larger item selection are all things I'd really like to see.  With a few tweaks a sequel could easily be an instant classic in my opinion. 

Quote from: schild
Yea, it's hot in the PS3.

I can confirm this.  The game is jaw dropping gorgeous.  I'd rate it above most PS3 and 360 games in the graphics dept.  Prettiest game ever!

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
Strazos

Reply #29 on: May 28, 2007, 11:01:09 AM

I finally got past the Valkyrie chapter. The story is just....wow. Also, the Pooka Village is cute, especially with the JP voice track.

Too bad the Netherworld maps suck; those damn ghosts with the rapid-attack arms are just Evil.

EDIT: And shit, there are still more character story lines to play through. If they're all around the same length, this game could be very long; the Valkyrie line was almost as long as some full games.

Fear the Backstab!
Valant
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 28, 2007, 06:51:28 PM

From the outside this game looks like something my 13 year old brother would play, but its compelling to hear the positive feedback on the story...

Doesnt look like a game I would pick up, but the what the hell do I know about single player RPG's...I fucking liked the first turn based Mario RPG that came out like 8 years ago or something... rolleyes

Strazos

Reply #31 on: May 28, 2007, 06:52:39 PM

Um...anyone who had a clue about RPGs liked Mario RPG. Not sure what you're trying to say.

Fear the Backstab!
Valant
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 28, 2007, 06:58:27 PM

hmm... Maybe I do have good taste then? I was starting to wonder....Ive been slammed a couple of times for defending that game in the past..Figured my opinion differed from the majority on that one....good to know others like it as much as I did...it remains as one of my favorite single player RPG's.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 07:02:36 PM by Valant »
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #33 on: May 28, 2007, 08:01:31 PM

Mario RPG was Awesome.

Also, Odin Sphere is kicking my ass worse than anything I've played in years.  I'm just no good at this game.
schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: May 30, 2007, 06:23:45 AM

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Some Comments on Odin Sphere  
Jump to: