Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:22:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Free Weekend for ex-subscribers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Free Weekend for ex-subscribers  (Read 5492 times)
sigil
Terracotta Army

on: May 02, 2007, 09:49:28 AM

Let the Inventing Begin!

Issue 9: Breakthrough is Live and We’ve Reactivated Your Account For the Weekend! In celebration of our landmark new game content, simply log on to your City of Heroes® or City of Villains® account between now and Sunday, May 6th at 8:59pm PST/11:59pm EST and your account will be active and playable!*

*The leveling grind is still horrendous, and now you're going to find your millions of influence or infamy  will be gone in half an hour, but come back anyway!

Pass.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 09:54:02 AM

Let the Inventing Begin!

Issue 9: Breakthrough is Live and We’ve Reactivated Your Account For the Weekend! In celebration of our landmark new game content, simply log on to your City of Heroes® or City of Villains® account between now and Sunday, May 6th at 8:59pm PST/11:59pm EST and your account will be active and playable!*

*The leveling grind is still horrendous, and now you're going to find your millions of influence or infamy  will be gone in half an hour, but come back anyway!

Pass.

Dangit.  There goes this weekend.  Ah well.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 10:12:50 AM

If only it were a double what-the-experience-should-be weekend.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 11:02:45 AM

I'm all for double experience. My ELM/ELA brute and necro/dark MM have both hit the mid-30s wall and it's painful. I need relief!

I9 does look to seriously reduce your disposable "income". There's a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth on the forums over the prestige vs. infamy/influence/whatever thing. I'm curious just how bad the 45-50 crafting scene is myself. I may have to get my BS/invul scrapper out and check. She has ridiculous amounts of influence. From what I"ve been reading, even 20mil might not be enough to even outfit a 50 halfway in generic IOs, much less set pieces. It'd be interesting to find out just how bad it is.

All I can say for now is it's not bad in the 20s. IO or SO, it's about the same per enhancement. So far. 
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 10:18:48 PM

Any old-time players from the Virtue server with lots of millions of influence on their canceled accounts can feel more than free to send the moneys to me.  I promise to be super happy about it if you give me your cash.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 12:36:14 AM

Apparently a fair number of people are trying it out, the patch servers seemed pretty hammered all night...  Even at 3am EDT, I'm only getting 50k/s from it.  around 9pm, I was only getting 18 or so.  I'd guess a buncha people are coming back for this weekend.

From checking patches, it doesn't look like The Legendary Sword Crusade has been nerfed too badly since I stopped playing, right around the launch of CoV and the enhancement 'diversity' project.  Pretty sure I had respec'd for ED, tho my enhancements were already pretty diverse.  Think I swapped out one dmg for one recharge, since hasten got sacrificed to the nerf gods.  And moved a bunch of slots from the ends of passive defenses.

I'm looking forward to dicing badguys with wild abandon again.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 10:54:40 AM

I patched and logged in last night, then logged right back out.

Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 10:09:42 PM

I decided the 22 hour update download wasn't worth the headache :P

1.2 gigs at 18k is sad panda.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 03:38:13 AM

I decided the 22 hour update download wasn't worth the headache :P

1.2 gigs at 18k is sad panda.

same here  huh I was lookin forward to give it another whirl. ah well. rest in peace.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 08:19:50 PM

Tried to do a mission two times and got map disconnects both times. Good times.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 06:55:51 AM

Tried to do a mission two times and got map disconnects both times. Good times.

I downloaded it overnight and managed to play most of yesterday. My impressions, having not played since it launched, are, not much has really changed. The new police radio is nice for grinding missions but they are still a grind. I got the same damn maps I remember getting in my first missions at release. It doesn't look like they've added one new map since they released. Experience was slightly faster on my 36 scrapper mainly because I didn't have to run around as much talking to contacts but the variety of missions got old fast. I tried a team once but like always with pickup groups between linkdeaths and people needing to leave it didn't manage to finish more than one mission. My dark/regen scrapper build seemed to have survived the nerfs they did to regen fairly well, though he has a lot of enhancements way overallocated now they have diminishing returns on them but I just couldn't be bothered respec'ing him. Overall it was interesting to go back and check out but I won't be resubscribing.

On the inventing system. It looked kind of interesting though they've limited the power of the enhancements you can make drastically to "allow people who dont feel like crafting" to not feel left behind. Sounds like another Statesman talking out his ass quote again imo. You can make enh's that are slightly better in the mid-5 levels than ++ or the ones from the vendors but you can't enhance them with others to make them + or ++ so you need to be able to craft better ones to keep up later. Every enhancement I tried to make seemed to have a slightly rare drop component that I didn't get grinding missions this afternoon so I tried the ah, which is a pain in the ass to use (Cryptic still hasn't made the mousewheel scroll any of their menus, and the arrows are super tiny) If any of their windows screams for a mouse wheel scroll it's the ah, imo. Prices on the rare components were mostly in the 100k+ inf range and cryptic only lists the last 5 sold in the history window so anyone with a bit of cash can overload it by buying the same item from themselves 5 times to stack the history with high buyouts. (Yes they let you buy your own auctions) You have a limited number of recipes you can hold and no where to store them, though you seem to be able to leave them stored in the ah window by closing the window without pricing it. There is a vault where you can store the salvaged crap you collect but it's limited to 34 items. And recipes can't tell you if you have parts in your vault so you have to go back to it to check. All in all it seemed well thought out mechanically except from the convenience for the user side.

Oh ya, Victory, the original F13 server, is a ghost town now from what I saw.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 06:57:36 AM by Phred »
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 07:01:12 PM

I managed to get in for a couple days.

The game is pretty much the same as it was when I left.  My BS/invuln scrapper was pretty viable with his current build, which was from just after the ED system.  Vet rewards for 15 months gave me a TON of costume changes and a couple free respecs, which I didn't need, and a permanent 'temp' melee power (Sands of Mu is great vs. auto turrets, compared to my sword).  I to play a bit with people I used to play with too... sidekicked up a 32 healer defender, and later exemplared down to a 38 tanker, with the 32 healer coming along to heal and die a lot.

Level still means an awful lot in the combat equations.

As to the invention system, it looked cool.  There were a number of sets that had unique effects, like ones that added, say, a 2 min stealth effect to your use of teleport, or super jump; or one that added a brief hp/end regen effect to any heal spell. (I wanted one for Dull Pain, but they were going for 20 million Inf!!). 

For the less unique sets, there were definate advantages to going with invented enhances vs. the normal ones.  Instead of a normal BS power being 1 ACC, 3 DMG, 1 END, 1 RCG, for +30% ACC, END, RCG, and +88% DMG,  you could get around +120% dmg, +75% ACC, and good END and RCG too.  But you'd have to collect the stuff or buy on the AH, so it was expensive.  For any given power, you could basically get the same effect as normal enhancers, but with fewer slots; hence the 'unique' enhancers that added new effects to powers, so you have the choice of 'more powerful normal effect' or 'additional neat/useful effect' or 'fewer slots, more for slots for another power'.

The big breaker for me, though, was the oddly consistent sound-loop machine lockups (I'd play all day just fine, only lock up when soloing instances after 11pm EDT).  I'm using an older SoundBlaster PCI128, there's no reason for that nonsense.  If it was just a client crash, and I could log back in without the whole instance reseting, that'd be one thing, but as is, I can't do it.  Too much of my time is soloing late at night.

--
Alkiera

Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 07:57:54 AM

The big breaker for me, though, was the oddly consistent sound-loop machine lockups (I'd play all day just fine, only lock up when soloing instances after 11pm EDT).  I'm using an older SoundBlaster PCI128, there's no reason for that nonsense.  If it was just a client crash, and I could log back in without the whole instance reseting, that'd be one thing, but as is, I can't do it.  Too much of my time is soloing late at night.

--
Alkiera
Huh. I remember I used to have sound loop problems but don't anymore. Got a positively ancient soundblaster card with drivers that haven't been updated in approximately forever. How are your graphics drivers/memory? Those seem to be the two biggest obstacles to getting CoH to run alright. It pretty much needs a gig of memory and the most recent drivers... well, most recent drivers if you use ATI, who still outsources to a million monkeys at keyboards for their driver software.

--GF
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 05:23:28 AM

--
Alkiera
Huh. I remember I used to have sound loop problems but don't anymore. Got a positively ancient soundblaster card with drivers that haven't been updated in approximately forever. How are your graphics drivers/memory? Those seem to be the two biggest obstacles to getting CoH to run alright. It pretty much needs a gig of memory and the most recent drivers... well, most recent drivers if you use ATI, who still outsources to a million monkeys at keyboards for their driver software.

--GF

I had to turn hardware sound off in the config or I got a lot of popping from the game as well.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Free Weekend for ex-subscribers  
Jump to: