Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:57:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Jellyfist 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jellyfist  (Read 2607 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: April 28, 2007, 12:20:19 PM

Jhonen Vasquez (Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Invader Zim) doesn't put out a lot of new material, so it seems worth mentioning that SLG recently announced the 48 page Jellyfist from Vasquez and J.R. Goldberg will be shipping in July.

April 26, 2007
SLG Publishing has announced the July release of Jellyfist, a new work of "collaborative nonsense" by Jhonen Vasquez (Johnny the Homicidal Maniac) and J.R. Goldberg.  Jellyfist is a 48-page full color collection of strange disconnected stories written by Vasquez and illustrated by Goldberg. 

The perfect-bound volume will have a cover price of $5.95 and should have a strong appeal to the same fans that have made Johnny the Homicidal Maniac a perennial bestseller in both the direct and bookstore markets.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 05:02:33 PM

Did this end up being any good? I'm surprised this one slipped past me.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 01:51:39 AM

Did this end up being any good? I'm surprised this one slipped past me.

It ended up being one of the most bizzare things I've ever read.  It's just a bunch of 1-2 page... well, I can't really call them stories.  More like situations I suppose.  Most are fairly nonsensical, and each one has a lot of commentary on the side as to what JV was thinking when he came up with each.  I looks like the kind of end product you'd get if you just handed him a notebook and told him to just fill it up with the first things that come to his mind.  Some good stuff in there, and some pointless stuff.  If you can find it in a comic shop, flip through it first before buying.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 07:28:37 AM

I remember buying something he did that was like that about four years ago. I don't remember the name but it was in oversized magazine format. About half of the one page stories were Happy Noodle Boy weirdness. I think the nonsense of it all was the biggest attraction for me, because the art in that magazine looked like something a demented sixth-grader might make.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 07:35:06 AM

It was called the Bad Art Collection. I guess he made it while he was in high school.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 11:18:10 PM

JV can be hilarious at times.  I must say, however, I'm not exactly a fan of him when he's not trying to tell a story.  Gets too weird for me to try to follow, and I am unconvinced that random crazy shit = funny or genius.

Shame, too, because he's doing a signing here on Dec. 31st and I'm sure, having been to one of his shindigs before, there will be an afterparty worth seeing.  I won't be going because I don't want to be the guy who hasn't liked anything he's done in the last 5 years.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Jellyfist  
Jump to: