Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:29:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW Patch... Fanboys Heads Explode 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WoW Patch... Fanboys Heads Explode  (Read 47687 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

on: August 17, 2004, 10:25:44 PM

Here

Major changes. Hunter class added.

Mage class loses invisibility. That sound you hear, is 30% of the WoW population crying (Mages) and the other 70% breathing a sigh of relief or pointing and laughing.

This has been a big topic of mages saying its fine, and every one who doesnt play a mage saying its overpowered.

Funny thread here

Highlight

Yes, I pretty much have lost much of the respect I had for your team. Not so much because you’re removing something that is fun and exciting, but because you broke basic rules in development, heck even you all have stated that most of the characters are not even finished. Yet, you make a major change for what? Whining? Exploits?

You know, I brag all the time on how Blizzard is know for quality, for story and depth, for design and all out enjoyment. But lets face it guys, if you do things like this regularly, you might as well hang a sign over the lunch table that says “Noobs eat here”.

Fun stuff. As a Warrior, I cant help but gloat a bit, because I cant count the times an invisible mage has nuked me for like 80% of my health.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 11:09:41 PM

Quote from: Morphiend
Fun stuff. As a Warrior, I cant help but gloat a bit, because I cant count the times an invisible mage has nuked me for like 80% of my health.

What about rogues? I gather that they're keeping their invisibility... does their opening attack just not do as much damage?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 11:15:35 PM

Quote from: angry.bob

What about rogues? I gather that they're keeping their invisibility... does their opening attack just not do as much damage?

Unlike a mage I'd imagine they'd be REALLY close to the guy they just tried to gank.

-Rasix
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 11:22:46 PM

I don't see anything interesting in the patch. I just hope for silent fixing. Like skills working properly (for example backstabbing working from behind, and not from the front), Line of Sight bugs, netcode etc... They starteted the balance tweaks but nothing about the missing parts of the game.

Here's my collection of (announced) missing systems:

- Better water implementation
- Weather system (rain, snow, mist..)
[X - Done] Zeppelins and boats
- Flight/levitation
- Instanced Battlegrounds for PvP
- Frontier zones (?)
- PvP rewards (treadmill)
- PvP purposes (goals)
[X - Done] Reputation system
- Updated netcode (smoothing movement updates)
- Decent "Line of Sight" for spells
- Update to the ranged combat (I think announced for this patch)
- Hero classes (in doubt)
- Better maps with custom bookmarks
- Better LFG system
- Movable windows in the UI (not my suggestion but rumored by a dev)
- Racial abilities

This patch adds just the zeppelins and the faction system (that is horrible designed, also).

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 11:50:50 PM

Quote from: HRose
Sutff

I was really expecting a lot more to this patch than just Add hunter. Nerf Mage, nerf warrior.

I mean its been over two months since then. I thought we would get the PVP rewards. Horde quest lovin', and talantes for more than 2 classes.

I think I will have to replan my theory on them releasing in november.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 11:54:29 PM

Quote from: angry.bob

Players had a chance to spot stealthed Rogues. Also they move at 60% speed while stealthed, and have to be in melee range. Mages didnt have any of these drawbacks with invis.

Basically before the patch, there was no real reasion to choose a rogue in a group over a mage.

Mage do better than rogue:

CC
Damage
Range
Stealth (scout)
Open locks
Withstand damage

Can also:
Make food and water.
Teleport self.
Teleport party to town
Dimension door.
Root

Rogues can do better than mage:

Now rogues got talants, and are the only class who can stealth and open locks. We will see how they do now.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 11:59:09 PM

I was really expecting a lot more to this patch than just Add hunter. Nerf Mage, nerf warrior.

I mean its been over two months since then. I thought we would get the PVP rewards. Horde quest lovin', and talantes for more than 2 classes.

I think I will have to replan my theory on them releasing in november.

I had this reaction with the patch before the last one, in June. It was MORE than two months of waiting for a patch that didn't add nothing and basically broke everything. From the animations, the graphic, quests, balance etc...

I still think that the game in April was way better than how it is now and I even made a post to demonstrate the decrease in quality of the graphic:
http://www.cesspit.net/drupal/node/view/209
Screenshot here: http://www.cesspit.net/misc/worse.jpg

When I joinied in March I *really* expected the game to be released in June. And complete. Then I started to notice the extremely slow development at Blizzard. Now it's a miracle if they are able to push the game out in December by cutting half the features I posted above.

Another month and half and it's October. They need to patch major systems like battlegrounds, level 55-60+ all the other talents and various missing systems. All in one patch.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 01:13:21 AM

Some good stuff in that patch. Druids got some serious buffage (relative to where they were before). Poor Warlocks, though, are going to have suffer for a few more months (given Blizzard's current patch rate), apparently, before they get comparable treatment.

Edit: Deleted Taunt question, I see now they changed the Talent for this to compensate.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 01:48:39 AM

I must admit the percieved Warrior nerf confuses the hell out of me. I just don't see warriors as overpowered. I also don't like that essentially a warrior HAS to take the taunt talents to be effective in their role at all.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 02:06:22 AM

Quote from: Riggswolfe
I must admit the percieved Warrior nerf confuses the hell out of me. I just don't see warriors as overpowered.

Whoops, sorry I deleted my question while you were posting. They changed the taunt talent to increase taunt effectiveness rather than decrease rage which is presumably why they nerfed the base skill.

I also don't like that essentially a warrior HAS to take the taunt talents to be effective in their role at all.

That's one of the problems with not having many classes. Ignoring the gimped bear form (which got an AC boost this patch so it might be better) there are only 2 tank classes one of which isn't available to the Horde (no Pallys) so Warriors are pretty much stuck with that job. It also looks like there are fewer methods for managing aggro compared to something like EQ which makes Warrior taunting even more important in WoW.

Edit: Fixed quoting
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 02:33:35 AM

From the Blizz thread:

Blizzard doesn’t deserve any assistance when they act like they are developing for the first time

Way to beta!

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 02:55:26 AM

Any news on what exactly the Hero Classes are going to be? I'll probably play WoW eventually, but the classes available look about as dumbed down and generic as it gets.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 03:12:24 AM

Quote from: stray
Any news on what exactly the Hero Classes are going to be? I'll probably play WoW eventually, but the classes available look about as dumbed down and generic as it gets.

No official word yet but hints and rumors would suggest that they will be based on both your class and your race and will be patterned after the Heroes and other elite units in WC3. So you would have things like:

Dwarven Warrior -> Mountain King
Night Elf Druid -> Keeper of the Grove
Human Mage -> Archmage

and so on.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #13 on: August 18, 2004, 03:28:06 AM

Related note. Finally someone has hacked the Blizzard bittorrent to extract a .torrent to use your own bittorrent client. Since Blizzard's sucks.

Mirrored here: EDITED BY ADMIN - DON'T BE A DOUCHE

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 18, 2004, 07:41:20 AM

As a warrior, I am a bit leery of even more taunting.  However, I think that the move was primarily intended to nerf AE groups, which needed nerfing.  Everyone needing to mind their aggro now should make the game less easy, which is a good thing (TM).

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: August 18, 2004, 08:41:22 AM

This has been a big topic of mages saying its fine, and every one who doesnt play a mage saying its overpowered.

Funny thread here

Highlight

Yes, I pretty much have lost much of the respect I had for your team. Not so much because you’re removing something that is fun and exciting, but because you broke basic rules in development, heck even you all have stated that most of the characters are not even finished. Yet, you make a major change for what? Whining? Exploits?

You know, I brag all the time on how Blizzard is know for quality, for story and depth, for design and all out enjoyment. But lets face it guys, if you do things like this regularly, you might as well hang a sign over the lunch table that says “Noobs eat here”.

After reading his posts, when he learns how to spell "knew" and "known" he can come back and talk about how bad Blizzard is. Otherwise, he needs a big warm cup of STFU.

This is Blizzard; delays are their middle name. November may be way too optimistic.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 18, 2004, 08:44:02 AM

Quote from: Trippy

Whoops, sorry I deleted my question while you were posting. They changed the taunt talent to increase taunt effectiveness rather than decrease rage which is presumably why they nerfed the base skill.

I know what they did. But it follows up with my quote below:

I also don't like that essentially a warrior HAS to take the taunt talents to be effective in their role at all.

That's one of the problems with not having many classes. Ignoring the gimped bear form (which got an AC boost this patch so it might be better) there are only 2 tank classes one of which isn't available to the Horde (no Pallys) so Warriors are pretty much stuck with that job. It also looks like there are fewer methods for managing aggro compared to something like EQ which makes Warrior taunting even more important in WoW.

Actually a Paladin can't tank. They can take hits but they can't hold aggro. A druid can hold aggro and I have done temple runs many times with a druid in bear form and he has done very well in tanking. He'll be even better now.

And really, notice what I said. Warriors now are almost required to take the taunt talents to be good at their jobs.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 18, 2004, 08:54:42 AM

Something about the whole tauren hunters using guns brings the following to mind.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/cowswithguns.php

Just waiting to see Cow Se Tung.

Kaid
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 18, 2004, 10:53:22 AM

The fact that Blizzard had a class that could stealth, move at speed, and lay down high ranged damage has me worried.  That's the sort of skill combination that should never be in a game.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 18, 2004, 12:06:42 PM

In their defense, it IS still beta.  I can forgive teh stupid when its erased before release.  People on the Bliz boards need to remember that Blizzard is still testing the game.  In fact, if I was Bliz, I would implement the following beta cleanup policy:

1.  Make a giant purple ball that bounces all over the game world, perma-killing every character in line of sight.  

2.  Post a note on wow.net to the effect of:  "hahahaha."

3.  Delete the beta account of every forum warrior that so much as peeps in complaint.

4.  Second post on wow.net:  STFU fuckers....b-e-t-a!

5. Replace lost beta accounts.

6.  Repeat 1 - 5 immediately, then later as desired.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 18, 2004, 12:39:26 PM

Yeah, but it's a kind of obvious stupid, I was hoping that they would be working on cleaning out the more subtle stupid by this point.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: August 18, 2004, 12:55:02 PM

If Blizzard was attempting to remove the stupid from their beta, they'd have to start with the goddamned forums and move on from there.

HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #22 on: August 18, 2004, 01:31:59 PM

I have no probally with the patch yea I got nerfed but thats okay Ill still play my amge and i knew it was gonan come anyways....live on!

:D

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 18, 2004, 01:50:25 PM

You found a kindred spirit I see.  When is the wedding?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #24 on: August 18, 2004, 02:25:31 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
If Blizzard was attempting to remove the stupid from their beta, they'd have to start with the goddamned forums and move on from there.

Actually, I'm finding the signal to noise ratio on the beta forums to be quite high. The battle.net forum though, ugh.
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: August 18, 2004, 02:49:26 PM

Quote from: HRose
Related note. Finally someone has hacked the Blizzard bittorrent to extract a .torrent to use your own bittorrent client. Since Blizzard's sucks.

Mirrored here: I'M AN ASSHAT

This happened 6 months ago. The pony express must be slow in Italy. That and I removed your link from your post - DON'T DO THAT SHIT, CUMJOB.

I don't mind people talking about warez, but posting links to warezed copies of a beta - especially when people are actively trying to make freeshards for the game (and the fact we may have to cover WoW here) - is a strict no-no.

Also: I realize that may have been helpful to some other people (in the beta) here, but many - MANY of us are not in the beta.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 18, 2004, 03:01:23 PM

It wasn't Warez Schild. It was simply a way to download a patch. That's all. He didn't link to the beta client, he mimiced what was done on the Blizzard forums.

schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: August 18, 2004, 03:04:24 PM

Quote from: Riggswolfe
It wasn't Warez Schild. It was simply a way to download a patch. That's all. He didn't link to the beta client, he mimiced what was done on the Blizzard forums.

People who have a pirated version of the game can download that patch and update theirs. Basically - it was a reverse engineered torrent. In no sense of the words was it not warez. Hrose knows the rule. And I'll admit, that probably entered a gray area. However, he knows that people who aren't in the beta do NOT have the WoW bt client - any type of access to it falls into the category of illicit if you aren't given it by Blizzard themselves.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #28 on: August 18, 2004, 03:15:25 PM

Quote from: HaemishM

This is Blizzard; delays are their middle name. November may be way too optimistic.

I know I'm not alone when I get the impression that this is your uncle's Blizzard.  I'm thinking that they are getting lots more pressure from the money men to start cutting and shipping.

Edit: On a sidenote, they should have blocked off the beta forums so we can't read what the beta testers say on there.  Let the beta testers figure out how to make a website to advertise their superb beta testing skills.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #29 on: August 18, 2004, 03:55:07 PM

Quote from: MrHat
Edit: On a sidenote, they should have blocked off the beta forums so we can't read what the beta testers say on there.  Let the beta testers figure out how to make a website to advertise their superb beta testing skills.

Why? I love that fact that WoW doesn't have an NDA and the beta forums are open to all to read. I wish more MMORPGs in development would do that.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 18, 2004, 04:13:54 PM

Some may find this pretty corny, but combined with the hunter ability to capture and level his pet, I think this is pretty cool:

"Hunters are closely related to their pets and must remember to always keep their pet's happiness in mind. When using a pet, Hunters will notice an icon in the top left corner of their screen that depicts their pet's happiness. The more Hunters use their pets, the lower their pet's level of happiness will become. Hunters should always remember to feed their pets to raise their pet's level of happiness or worry about their pet abandoning them or even attacking the Hunter! Hunters are also the only class able to name their pets."

EDIT:  from Mr. Hat's posted link below:
"Happiness determines damage output, so the less happy your pet is, the weaker it gets. "

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #31 on: August 18, 2004, 04:27:20 PM

Quote from: jpark
Some may find this pretty corny, but combined with the hunter ability to capture and level his pet, I think this is pretty cool:

"Hunters are closely related to their pets and must remember to always keep their pet's happiness in mind. When using a pet, Hunters will notice an icon in the top left corner of their screen that depicts their pet's happiness. The more Hunters use their pets, the lower their pet's level of happiness will become. Hunters should always remember to feed their pets to raise their pet's level of happiness or worry about their pet abandoning them or even attacking the Hunter! Hunters are also the only class able to name their pets."

Tomagochi!!!

I think it's a good idea, if you read the Hunter Sneak Peak Page, you can see how much it has benefited from special attention.  Kind of unfair to the other classes all the cool stuff Hunters get.[/url]
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 18, 2004, 04:47:52 PM

Check the quote below by an apparently young beta tester.  I found it illuminating (but not articulate lol).  Over time WoW is converging with some conventions of EQ, and perhaps straying from the pace of combat many of us enjoy in CoH:

"efficient solo play now consists of bottom feeding off the smallest mobs in the area that you can squeeze exp out of. anything else on par with our level just runs up downtime and/or forces you to stop to eat every other fight, if not after every fight. i think it is pretty unanimous amongst all players and classes abound that we are generally getting our butts kicked out there now.

one of my favorite things to do in wow, the quests, are now in part no longer doable alone. group play is most definitely encouraged with this patch, and not in just the elite missions [where those rightfully should be group missions]... that's exactly why i left eq."

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #33 on: August 18, 2004, 05:31:22 PM

Quote from: jpark
Check the quote below by an apparently young beta tester.  I found it illuminating (but not articulate lol).  Over time WoW is converging with some conventions of EQ, and perhaps straying from the pace of combat many of us enjoy in CoH:

<snip quote>

Isn't this exactly what several of us predicted would happen as they brought in more and more 'leet' EQ players?

To those of you in the beta, how's it going trying to fight "even-con" mobs? I know Hrose has become disillusioned, but is it starting to feel 'Eq-like' to the rest of you?  Not just in terms of level grind, but character power as well.

I know I'm not alone when I get the impression that this is your uncle's Blizzard. I'm thinking that they are getting lots more pressure from the money men to start cutting and shipping.

As well they should.  They're not an independent company and Vivendi's looking to offload the division.  It makes sense to me that they'd want to push out the game so that prospective buyers knew they'd have a revenue stream instead of just a sinkhole for development dollars.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #34 on: August 18, 2004, 06:35:46 PM

Im only level 11 Orc Shaman, but I dont find things my level particularly challenging. i solo mobs from 10-15 without a problem. So far I find the game fun, but I can see that missions are becoming a real choir without having at least one additional guy to help.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW Patch... Fanboys Heads Explode  
Jump to: