Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 10:17:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: For all the wooters out there... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: For all the wooters out there...  (Read 82639 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #420 on: April 17, 2007, 12:37:27 AM

That's the thing about opinions, though. Also, different people may not have player certain classics. It depends when you start playing the genre/platform and so forth. I've never Pllayed Thief/2 or Deus Ex, for example.

Nah, all the games i mentioned are better than similar things that Nintendo did and get infinitely fellated for. Fuck opinions evil

If they didn't play them at all though, then they shouldn't be saying how the "greatest ever" of anything was ([EDIT] this has nothing to do with Jade Raymond's list btw....I thought we moved away from that).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 12:40:12 AM by Stray »
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #421 on: April 17, 2007, 12:42:02 AM

I agree that Ninty gets needlessly fellated in the games media simply because they're nintendo. Calling something one of your top 5, or your top 10 ever is a different kettle of fish to stating THE best 5/10/whetever games ever, though.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #422 on: April 17, 2007, 12:42:37 AM

Even her top 5. I think she's lying. It's not objective. Link to the Past is the better game.

I can say that in real life with a straight face.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #423 on: April 17, 2007, 12:57:26 AM

Um, yeah, I agree with you that it's a better game. I'm saying that she may have never played Link to the Past. Maybe she missed the SNES years entirely. Maybe that's just not a game she ever played. et cetera.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #424 on: April 17, 2007, 01:03:54 AM

I could understand that for Strazos or Triforcer, for example (they were still tikes when the NES/SNES was out.... I think I recall Triforcer saying he hasn't even actually played the old Zelda titles......even though his name is Triforcer).

Then again, it can't be youth. Jade Raymond is around my age. So is Voodoolily, for that matter.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 01:05:29 AM by Stray »
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #425 on: April 17, 2007, 04:51:29 AM

This thread remind me of the South Park 9/11 episode where Cartman stretches the truth to prove that Kyle was responsible for 9/11.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #426 on: April 17, 2007, 06:19:19 AM

I could understand that for Strazos or Triforcer, for example (they were still tikes when the NES/SNES was out.... I think I recall Triforcer saying he hasn't even actually played the old Zelda titles......even though his name is Triforcer).

Then again, it can't be youth. Jade Raymond is around my age. So is Voodoolily, for that matter.

so.. clearly she should have been playing the same titles at the same time as you? Maybe she never played a SNES at all. Maybe she didn't start gaming till her teens. Maybe she had a Genesis in her household instead. Maybe her young eyes didn't like the busy look of games like LTTP but she later fell in love with the 3D horse and world of OOT.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #427 on: April 17, 2007, 06:29:10 AM

That part was said in jest. Maybe I'm being too veiled about it, I guess.

Don't bother arguing with me about something like that. Exactly where do you want to take it?
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #428 on: April 17, 2007, 06:44:19 AM

I am in my mid-twenties, so I am old enough to have played Link to the Past, Crono Trigger, Final Fantasy V/VI, etc. basically when they came out.  Yes, I did miss out on the Nintendo Zeldas although I play them now on my Wii (Gamecube promotional disc with Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Zelda I/II).   

I don't disagree with Link to the Past "slightly" edging out OoT.  I would just put them both in my top 5, along with Final Fantasy VI.  My top five is based only on games I have played, which is heavily Nintendo-based (except for Baldur's Gate 2 and BF 1942, the only other non-MMOs I've invested significant time in). 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #429 on: April 17, 2007, 07:00:02 AM

Don't bother arguing with me about something like that. Exactly where do you want to take it?

Outside?

This is where you make a not-so veiled thread to break my ribs or somesuch and I quiver in fear?

rolleyes

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: April 17, 2007, 07:46:13 AM

Even her top 5. I think she's lying. It's not objective. Link to the Past is the better game.

I can say that in real life with a straight face.

I think someone needs to call them and check out the facts.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #431 on: April 17, 2007, 08:27:30 AM

Wait, are you guys seriously comparing Zelda to Final Fantasy guys as if they are the same genre? WTF?

Zelda games are not RPG's. They are fantasy-based platform/action/puzzle games. The only resemblence to a Final Fantasy type RPG game is that they are both fantasy games. I've always considered them more similar to Mario-style games than RPG's.

And for those saying people my age had to have played Link to the Past, the first Zelda game I played ever was Wind Waker on the Cube. I just wasn't interested back when I had an SNES, and I was working at an EB at the time so could have checked the game out for free. I just didn't care.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #432 on: April 17, 2007, 08:31:12 AM

For the record, I was not too young for a NES or the original Zelda. I had a NES when I was 4, and beat Zelda when I was 4 or 5 (I only had my father help me with mapping the final dungeon).

Also, I also agree that LttP is the better game, but I still loved OoT. Hell, I even had the LttP guide from Nintendo Power for a year or two before I got the actual game, as I didn't get a SNES until I was 9 or 10.

I wouldn't even know where to start for a personal Top 5 list.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #433 on: April 17, 2007, 08:40:35 AM

I think if I were to make a Top 5 list, it would have to be a series of lists, separated by era. The CGA era, the VGA Era, the Cartridge Era, the Console Era, and the MMOG Era.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #434 on: April 17, 2007, 08:43:25 AM

Are those your Top 5 eras?

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
WayAbvPar

Reply #435 on: April 17, 2007, 08:44:39 AM

For the record, I was not too young for a NES or the original Zelda. I had a NES when I was 4, and beat Zelda when I was 4 or 5 (I only had my father help me with mapping the final dungeon).

Also, I also agree that LttP is the better game, but I still loved OoT. Hell, I even had the LttP guide from Nintendo Power for a year or two before I got the actual game, as I didn't get a SNES until I was 9 or 10.

I wouldn't even know where to start for a personal Top 5 list.

Dear FSM. I was working at Nintendo in the call center listening to little bastards like you call me 20x a day because it was an 800 number. Either you are really young or I am really old.

Stay the fuck off my lawn!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #436 on: April 17, 2007, 08:45:06 AM

I would make a Top 5 List for each era.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #437 on: April 17, 2007, 08:48:41 AM

Can we go back to talking about the pretty lady that likes video games?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: April 17, 2007, 08:48:54 AM

Can we get back to hawt chicks we'd nail please ?

You're all making me sad.

Edit :  Wow, simul post with him above.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #439 on: April 17, 2007, 09:07:19 AM

Dear FSM. I was working at Nintendo in the call center listening to little bastards like you call me 20x a day because it was an 800 number. Either you are really young or I am really old.

Stay the fuck off my lawn!

23. And I never called the numbers; they were for Suckers!

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #440 on: April 17, 2007, 09:38:21 AM

And for those saying people my age had to have played Link to the Past, the first Zelda game I played ever was Wind Waker on the Cube. I just wasn't interested back when I had an SNES, and I was working at an EB at the time so could have checked the game out for free. I just didn't care.

You were working at EB. And didn't care about Link to the Past.

I hope you were treated for that. Sounds like a serious condition.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #441 on: April 17, 2007, 11:10:33 AM

You can only hear so many 8-14 year old snots whining about the release date of Zelda and Street Fighter 2 before you just don't give a shit anymore.

Also, until really the cel-shading of Wind Waker or the Wiimote controls of Twilight Princess, I never gave a shit for the Zelda gameplay and story. It all felt too "kiddie" to me, which is why Wind Waker still hasn't been played through.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #442 on: April 17, 2007, 11:14:54 AM

The sailing eventually got to me. I was doing some quest to fish up something, kept getting attacked by those shark things and finally said the hell with it. Then every time I went to get back into it I was at that part again, so never finished.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: April 17, 2007, 11:17:49 AM

The more I play Windwaker, the more it grows on me.  I find the sailing fun, and my goal now is to get every statuette.

I periodically play (and beat) LttP, OoT, Majora's Mask (a GREAT game that has never gotten the props it deserved), and Wind Waker.  But I never even fucking finished Twilight Princess.  It just doesn't feel Zeldaish to me, and never felt like it got off the rails.  I was hugely disappointed. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: April 17, 2007, 03:10:35 PM

I think if I were to make a Top 5 list, it would have to be a series of lists, separated by era. The CGA era, the VGA Era, the Cartridge Era, the Console Era, and the MMOG Era.

Where the hell does Colecovision's TANK! fit in your list? Goddamned infants. Bitching about bump-mapping and anti-aliasing and crap. WE HAD BLOBS THAT WENT PING! AND WE WERE HAPPY!

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #445 on: April 17, 2007, 04:16:14 PM

Outside?

This is where you make a not-so veiled thread to break my ribs or somesuch and I quiver in fear?

rolleyes

OK, I would have laughed at the green text, but the eye rolling was just shitty. Grr. I hate that little emote. :shakes fist:  angry

Anyways...

I'm trying to look out for you. By "where exactly do you want to take it", I mean: It's totally pointless to have a serious argument with me about this. Watching you waste your time like that makes me sad.

I don't even want to explain where the funny was in that post now -- because that would make it less funny than it already is (it's there though...). But needless to say, the joke wasn't about you. And it sure as hell didn't require that "but all opinions are valid" argument again. We already went through that.

Lol, "MMOG era".
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #446 on: April 17, 2007, 04:36:42 PM

I like it actually, it's my favorite emote.

FWIW it looked to me like you were trying to be somewhat serious. Obviously the "fuck opinions  evil" bit was a joke, but the rest seemed less so.

Now, have a hug.

Hello Kitty

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #447 on: April 17, 2007, 04:51:17 PM

Where the hell does Colecovision's TANK! fit in your list? Goddamned infants. Bitching about bump-mapping and anti-aliasing and crap. WE HAD BLOBS THAT WENT PING! AND WE WERE HAPPY!

Damn Colecovisions.  I had a 2600 and loved it.  LOVED IT.  Particularly Air-Sea battle.  Tank-Pong FTW.  Siblings hated how I could one-shot them from across the maze. Buahah.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: April 17, 2007, 06:16:48 PM

Mmmmm, Combat.  I loved that game.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #449 on: April 17, 2007, 07:19:47 PM

Fuck.. you'd think I'd realize that Combat! was the one with tanks, while Air-Sea battle had oh, I don't konw, planes and fucking ships.

Biplane vs Jet, go!   (Biplane wins. Why? It has a 2X2 pixel bullet to the jet's 1.)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #450 on: April 17, 2007, 07:41:25 PM

I really loved those biplanes. Combat was an Atari favorite. I think I liked Defender and Centipede more though. Centipede is still great.

The Colecovision had a great version of Donkey Kong for it's time. And a really good looking Smurfs game. That's the best thing I remember about it (never had one myself, but my parent's friends did...or their son did rather). During that time, I had a 5200, and Donkey Kong or the Smurfs weren't on it, so I played it for that (on the other hand, the 5200 had great versions of Dig Dug, Pac-Man, Defender, Pole Position, Mario Bros, and Centipede).

The game I probably played the most on the 5200 (and don't remember from the arcade) was River Raid. I'm surprised I can even remember that...

The 5200 didn't last long though. Soon after, I got an NES.

[EDIT] Oh wait, you're still talking about Air Sea. I'm talking about the biplanes in Combat (they had them too....except it was only biplane vs biplane fights. Funny stuff).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 07:55:21 PM by Stray »
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: April 18, 2007, 01:25:42 AM

Can we get back to hawt chicks we'd nail please ?

You're all making me sad.

There's this hot designer chick that works at Ubisoft Bulgaria, I'll try and dig out a pic with her. I only need to remember who's birthday I met her on...

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #452 on: April 18, 2007, 02:14:22 AM

Biplanes?

Do any of you rememeber the biplane game from Triple Action for the Intellivision? I heard there are still tournaments for that. It is simply great.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #453 on: April 18, 2007, 07:38:26 AM

Goddamned console gamers. Will Wright. Raid on Bungling Bay. C64.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #454 on: April 18, 2007, 07:47:20 AM

I have those covered too. Defender of the Crown is another one of my favorites from that time (i.e. not a console game).
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: For all the wooters out there...  
Jump to: