Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:01:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Test topic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Test topic  (Read 6265 times)
TrippyTest
The Dentist

on: March 31, 2007, 06:04:34 PM

Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3...

Anybody still playing this game?
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 07:37:26 PM

Sporadically

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 08:24:48 PM

Trippy's new avatar is hawt. Just noticed it was TrippyTest. I'm going to clean my room. I'm useless today. Brain is jelly.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 08:26:36 PM by schild »
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 09:23:14 PM

I got my preorder key via email yesterday, but am holding off until I get the current phase of my massive research project out the door.  Also, most of the people that I know who are planning on checking out the open beta won't be playing until April 6th.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 05:44:41 AM

I'll be back for the 6th when my PC Gamer reg number works. Haven't played in two months. Too many other games that are actually different have come along.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 05:58:19 AM

Not playing.  Didn't preorder.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 09:27:27 AM

Debating picking it up.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 01:26:12 PM

Not playing.  I may play after release if enough of my friends show interest.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 04:14:40 PM

Going to play but haven't started yet.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 09:45:54 PM

Not yet, but may jump in a couple weeks before live hits.  Out of all the dikus out there this has been my favorite; all the meta stuff made my soul happy.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 02:11:20 AM

Liked all the ancillary stuff - titles, instanced main quest story - but found the classes and combat way too dull. And I'm pretty much diku'd out. May pick up a few months post launch depending on how bad my MMOG itch gets.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 02:32:35 AM

Not playing and probably won't be playing.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 06:28:32 AM

I think this is one of the few mainstream MMOs I won't bother to pick up, the beta was the most mediocre experience I have ever had.  It wasn't bad per say though, it's the best Turbine game I've ever played but that isn't saying much.
WayAbvPar

Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 08:56:41 AM

Not playing.  Didn't preorder.

Ditto.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 09:22:13 AM

Playing.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 06:25:00 PM

The Mrs created a new character 3 weeks ago, 9 lb 6 ounces, female.  Doubt I'll be playing much of anything for the next few years.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 06:33:09 PM

The Mrs created a new character 3 weeks ago, 9 lb 6 ounces, female.  Doubt I'll be playing much of anything for the next few years.

Congratulations, Dad!  Best wishes!   

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 07:54:45 PM

Wow that's great, congratulations.  Soon enough you'll be able to duo with her, one healer one tank and you're golden.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 08:01:27 PM

Congratulations!  Your own little newbie.

You will play, you'll just play in small increments.  No raiding for you!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 08:15:35 PM

No wonder you've been slacking on your WAR reporting. Congrats!
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 11:59:20 AM

Tried it today, didn't like it, uninstalled. There may be a good game in there somewhere, but it just felt tired and uninspired. I liked AC1 better straight out of the box then this. The one thing it does share with AC1 is annoying cat monsters with even more annoying cat monster sounds. Gawd, I went down into a mine after the elf starter quest and the ungodly noises...I tried throwing myself into the bowels of the mine to get away from it but the game wouldn't let me!

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 12:42:49 PM

Tried it today, didn't like it, uninstalled. There may be a good game in there somewhere, but it just felt tired and uninspired. I liked AC1 better straight out of the box then this. The one thing it does share with AC1 is annoying cat monsters with even more annoying cat monster sounds. Gawd, I went down into a mine after the elf starter quest and the ungodly noises...I tried throwing myself into the bowels of the mine to get away from it but the game wouldn't let me!

This is going to sound really odd, but one of the things that killed the game for me was fighting lynxes in Lonelands(sp, can't remember zone's name.. I think I'm right).  They sounded like house cats.  It sounded like I was fighting one of my cats.  I was very repulsed by it and only managed to kill a couple before I couldn't stand it anymore. Maybe that's how a lynx sounds, but I would have been a lot more comfortable if they used some sort of generic tiger or other jungle cat.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #22 on: April 06, 2007, 01:17:43 PM

This is going to sound really odd, but one of the things that killed the game for me was fighting lynxes in Lonelands(sp, can't remember zone's name.. I think I'm right).  They sounded like house cats.  It sounded like I was fighting one of my cats.  I was very repulsed by it and only managed to kill a couple before I couldn't stand it anymore. Maybe that's how a lynx sounds, but I would have been a lot more comfortable if they used some sort of generic tiger or other jungle cat.

Interesting- I had a very similar visceral reaction when fighting them. Poor kitties!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 06, 2007, 10:31:36 PM

The other little thing that just threw me off was the running animation. It just looked 'stilted' and frankly a little silly. Sort've like the revamped EQ1 models when they run. A small point but it sort've destroys any kind of immersiveness when you're boggling at how stupidly your toon is moving. Games like CoH and WoW have the animation down pat so asthetically I'm a little spoiled I guess. Even a cheap ass game like Rappelz does a better job (though not by much). WoW may not have the poly count or detail but everything moves smoothly and believably and not like a poorly worked marionette. This is probably an idiotic gripe but for me games need to look fun almost as much as they need to play fun. If your sensory input is put off, you probably won't like the game no matter how good it is. Quake was a good example. It was ugly and I hated it. Unreal on the other hand was beautiful and I loved it. Personal taste here, I'll shut up now. Hope someone is enjoying the game.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 04:09:16 AM

Preordered.
I think I'll go with the free month but unless something really surprising happens I don't think I'll resub at the end of May.

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 11:09:13 AM

Having just quit WoW I've been looking for something else to play, so I was looking forward to checking out LOTR.

But the problem is, I've been playing WoW for 2+ years, and when it comes to basic game mechanics, LOTR plays almost identically. I might as well just reinstall WoW.

And I'm realizing I'm getting sick of quest-based gameplay. It's just too structured. I log in and see a literal list of tasks I need to complete and it's like logging into a job. This is one of the things that burned me out in WoW and it seems to be even more a part of the basic gameplay in LOTR.

There are little things too that kind of annoyed. It was not clear and intuitive when a skill's cooldown was up and the skill was ready to use. And little things you would probably never think of bugged me. Take the quest text window, in WoW it's like you're reading writing on a parchment. Here it's just the generic computer text on black background that reminds me of any generic MMO like Lineage 2 or something. I know it's a nitpick but just an example of how nothing really stands out as original in this game. The Lore? Unfortunately I just don't care. I loved the books as a kid and the movies were great ... but I'm just kind of burned out on it all at this point.
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 01:54:58 PM

Further comments:

Yeah, movement is terrible. I often play female avatars but the running of the female humans and elves is so stilted I could not stand to  watch it. All my avatars are male.

The bodies on the Hobbits and Dwarves in look very cartoony and the legs on the humans and elves are out of proportion.

And finally again, if the narrative of the LotR is not gonna carry your gameplay, you will find very very little here to interest you.

Also solo very tough, some would say unreasonable beyond about 30. No way to grind past the quests.

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 03:10:59 PM

Also solo very tough, some would say unreasonable beyond about 30. No way to grind past the quests.

As well the meager exp they give for actually killing mobs cuts the variety of things to do, IMO. Occasionally in WoW I'd get bored with questing and feel like just killing mobs for a while but in LoTRo that's a complete waste of time. Most of the time I find if a quest doesn't specifically require me to kill mobs I just skip them.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Test topic  
Jump to: