Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 09:51:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Shockeye's Useless News 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shockeye's Useless News  (Read 166527 times)
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #385 on: February 25, 2005, 07:35:11 AM

Look at her breast area. Her "padding" is slipping out under the left breast and it's being squeezed out on top of the right one. The photographers at SI really really really suck.

She has small breasts anyway so..I can only assume that maybe the padding had nothing to grip to the bottom of and thus the slipping?

Don't they know the duct tape and blush rule?

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #386 on: February 26, 2005, 10:19:24 AM

Hillary Duff  SFW

Disney should be proud.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #387 on: February 26, 2005, 10:43:08 AM

I just don't know what to do with this link. It's not really safe for eyes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #388 on: February 26, 2005, 11:52:56 AM

I just don't know what to do with this link. It's not really safe for eyes.

Che would be proud.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #389 on: March 08, 2005, 10:05:54 AM

Christian Goth Botique

ChristianGoth.com Serving the Christian Gothic Community.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #390 on: March 08, 2005, 10:06:45 AM

Each doll is 9 inches tall, and that sparkle in their eyes? That's the Joy of the Lord!

Is THAT what that is?

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #391 on: March 09, 2005, 12:51:15 PM

It seems that summer is a time for lazy days, homework, and a lawsuit.

Quote from: AP
Boy Sues Math Teacher Who Assigned Summer Homework
Teen, Dad Say School Has No Authority Over Students During Summer

POSTED: 11:47 am EST January 20, 2005

MILWAUKEE -- A suburban Milwaukee teen and his dad are suing the boy's math teacher for assigning homework to be done over summer vacation.

Peer Larson , 17, and his father, Bruce Larson, say teachers have no legal authority to make students do schoolwork over summer vacation because the state-mandated, 180-day school year is over.

Mr. Larson says it's poor public policy. He says the students are still children and need a break during the summer months from increased pressure.

The teen attends Whitnall High School. The lawsuit filed in Milwaukee County Circuit Court also names the math department chairwoman, principal, school district and state superintendent.

Quote from: AP
Judge Dismisses Lawsuit Over Homework

50 minutes ago

MILWAUKEE - A judge threw out a high school student's lawsuit against mandatory summer homework, saying he and his father should have done a little more studying themselves before bringing the case.

Students in the Whitnall High School math course — honors pre-calculus — were supposed to do three assignments by certain dates over the summer. Peer Larson, 17, and his father, Bruce, had filed suit in Circuit Court, arguing that homework should not be required after the 180-day academic year is over.

The Larsons argued it was difficult for the boy to do the assignments because he had a summer job as a camp counselor. They also said students should be able to enjoy their summers free of homework.

But it's up to school boards to decide such things, Judge Richard J. Sankovitz ruled Tuesday.

"Had the Larsons done a bit more homework," he wrote, they would had learned that "the people of our state granted to the Legislature ... the power to establish school boards."

Bruce Larson said he had not immediately decided whether to appeal. He said the judge ignored a key issue — whether it was reasonable for a school to spring "three lengthy assignments" on students just before summer vacation began.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #392 on: March 09, 2005, 04:18:36 PM

Last I checked, no one holds a gun to your head to do homework.

And really, when you're in an honors course, extra work is par for the field. In my high school AP Bio class, our teacher gave us 5 chapters from our bok to basically translate into language an 8th grader could understand...to be done over winter break. I bring this up because I found it while cleaning my room the other day.

I then burned it...all 25 pages, all of which I did in a single sitting one night.  evil

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #393 on: March 09, 2005, 04:21:44 PM

When I graduated I burned all the coomeraswamy I had. As well as a handful of other "Art Theory" books. Yes, i was a teaching assistant for an art theory course for 2 years/4 semesters, a summer, and a winter. For any of you that are in college - There is No Such Thing as Art Theory.
Strazos

Reply #394 on: March 09, 2005, 04:25:04 PM

I once had an adjunct tell me that my creations were "wrong" because they were "too chaotic" and were therefore "not art."

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
schild
Administrator

Reply #395 on: March 09, 2005, 04:25:44 PM

I once had an adjunct tell me that my creations were "wrong" because they were "too chaotic" and were therefore "not art."

You should have torn his still beating heart straight out of his chest. Though, he could have just been more honest and said they sucked.
Strazos

Reply #396 on: March 10, 2005, 09:11:21 AM

Heh, it was "Experiencing Art" or some such nonsense....essentially an intro class for non-majors. How could he really expect anything we make to be any good?

Fear the Backstab!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #397 on: March 10, 2005, 11:45:26 AM

For any of you that are in college - There is No Such Thing as Art Theory.
There are three types of artists. Most people fall into the 'crappy artist' category. I do, spent a few years as an art major to learn that. If not for the band, I'd have moved to the second largest category, the 'con-man'. See: Andy Warhol. Modern art usually falls into this category, the stuff just isn't that tough to create, but it always has some lame-ass 'explanation' (the con) for why it's 'art'. "This orange blob? It represents teh hopes and desires of the unborn fetus, protean and unformed." No, it's a blob of fucking paint you are charging $250,000 for. But hey, who am I to criticize, people pay for that line of bullshit. Good capitalism, a good american.

Then there is the vast minority of truly talented artists, who deserve more than they'lll ever get in their lifetime.

There's Art Theory 101 by Sky.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #398 on: March 10, 2005, 11:53:03 AM

There are three types of artists. Most people fall into the 'crappy artist' category. I do, spent a few years as an art major to learn that. If not for the band, I'd have moved to the second largest category, the 'con-man'. See: Andy Warhol. Modern art usually falls into this category, the stuff just isn't that tough to create, but it always has some lame-ass 'explanation' (the con) for why it's 'art'. "This orange blob? It represents teh hopes and desires of the unborn fetus, protean and unformed." No, it's a blob of fucking paint you are charging $250,000 for. But hey, who am I to criticize, people pay for that line of bullshit. Good capitalism, a good american.

Then there is the vast minority of truly talented artists, who deserve more than they'lll ever get in their lifetime.

There's Art Theory 101 by Sky.

Where do the "Velvet Elvis" and "Dogs Playing Poker" fit?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #399 on: March 10, 2005, 11:54:11 AM

Although I completely disagree with Sky's view of Modern Art, I won't bother to discuss why.   It has been my experience that you can't tell someone who has spent "a few years as an art major" anything about art.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #400 on: March 10, 2005, 12:21:54 PM

Quote from: Sky
If not for the band, I'd have moved to the second largest category, the 'con-man'. See: Andy Warhol. Modern art usually falls into this category, the stuff just isn't that tough to create, but it always has some lame-ass 'explanation' (the con) for why it's 'art'. "This orange blob? It represents teh hopes and desires of the unborn fetus, protean and unformed." No, it's a blob of fucking paint you are charging $250,000 for. But hey, who am I to criticize, people pay for that line of bullshit. Good capitalism, a good american.

Well, it's not so much "con man" as it is "postmodern" thinking (damnnit, there's that word again!  :-D).

Basically, the focus of art to these people is the artist himself (or herself) -- not necessarily the actual work. When they say that orange blob is an unborn fetus, they are being entirely serious. They don't believe art is so much a means to express "subjects", as they do it being a means to express only the interpretations (damn the actual subject if need be).

Their whole worldview and basis of criticism centers around who has the most interesting and original "interpretations". While in the past, I guess it could be said that artists were praised more for technique.

That, to me, is far more depressing than con men. As it subtly shifts the focus away from expressing reality or having technique, and turns art into a mere celebration of personality and ego.

And just as sidenote: There's a great documentary on Frank Frazetta called "Frazetta: Painting With Fire". Definitely worth watching.

Now there's a man who's been totally screwed by 20th century critics for this very thing: "Too real", "Not interpretive enough", they say. Heh.

Edit: And not to mean I'm totally dissing modern art. All viewpoints are subjective. It's human nature. I just don't like it when the viewpoint becomes more important than what's actually being "viewed".
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 12:35:40 PM by Stray »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: March 10, 2005, 01:29:54 PM

Where do the "Velvet Elvis" and "Dogs Playing Poker" fit?
Classic American Masterpieces. We had several permutations of Dogs Playing Poker at the band house. I consider it much more artistically valuable than anything Warhol ever crapped out.
as they do it being a means to express only the interpretations (damn the actual subject if need be)
Hey, I'm down with abstractism, some cubism, with lots of things, if it shows talent and creativity on the artist's part. But when it's literally just paint gobbed on the canvas, or some crappy stick figure I could have drawn in kindergarten, I draw the line at considering it 'real art'.
It has been my experience that you can't tell someone who has spent "a few years as an art major" anything about art.
Heh. I spent a few years as a music major, a few years as a biochem major, etc. I guess I'm so close minded I can't be told anything, eh? Or maybe I just don't buy bullshit that is labelled as art, as outlined in Stray's post. Because I consider that con bullshit. Sorry if it upsets your delicate sensitivities. Well, not really. Have a smoke ;)

I stopped being an art major when I realized I simply didn't have the natural talent for it. The lead singer in my band did, and has gone on to become an incredible 'fine artist'. I'm actually pretty open-minded about most everything, providing you don't hand me some bullshit like that orange blob story. But yeah, if you buy into that crap, you can't tell me anything, I've heard it a thousand times before. I'll take the true masters any day over that crap. I'd take Bob Ross over Andy Warhol.

But I honestly would like to hear what you have to say, even if I don't agree. I'm funny like that, I like to know what people think, especially when we don't agree.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #402 on: March 10, 2005, 01:47:01 PM

I'd take Bob Ross over Andy Warhol.

Heh, I'd sig that, but it wouldn't be as funny out of context.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: March 10, 2005, 01:57:06 PM

Bob Ross was an incredible person. But beyond that, he was a pretty darn good artist when you consider his speed and techniques. Best of all, he was humble and his mission was to show everyone they could be artists, not to be some elitist douchebag who had to explain his art for you to understand it.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #404 on: March 10, 2005, 02:06:44 PM

Bob Ross was an incredible person. But beyond that, he was a pretty darn good artist when you consider his speed and techniques. Best of all, he was humble and his mission was to show everyone they could be artists, not to be some elitist douchebag who had to explain his art for you to understand it.

And he had the best white-man afro EVAR.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #405 on: March 10, 2005, 02:07:32 PM

I think Sky should replace his avatar  :mrgreen:
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #406 on: March 10, 2005, 02:16:47 PM

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #407 on: March 10, 2005, 02:23:11 PM

Where the hell do you find this shit? What's the "process" here? How do you find useless news?

I mean, damn, I've done my fair share of web surfing for going on 10 years now, but I couldn't even find something like that on accident.

edit: That goes for "Chocolate Yuna" too.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 02:25:03 PM by Stray »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #408 on: March 10, 2005, 02:24:39 PM

That sounds like complaining. I wouldn't complain about that lack of skill.  :mrgreen:

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #409 on: March 10, 2005, 02:35:13 PM

I was just teasing you, really, Sky.  You seemed to be in need of a good, hard teasing.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #410 on: March 10, 2005, 02:40:06 PM

Where the hell do you find this shit? What's the "process" here? How do you find useless news?

I mean, damn, I've done my fair share of web surfing for going on 10 years now, but I couldn't even find something like that on accident.

edit: That goes for "Chocolate Yuna" too.

If I revealed my secrets then someone else would take my place and I would have to find a new "skill". I refuse to learn something new. That's not why I play on the internet.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: March 11, 2005, 06:51:34 AM

I was just teasing you, really, Sky.  You seemed to be in need of a good, hard teasing.
Bah. I was hoping to hear an unpretentious explanation for modern art.
I think Sky should replace his avatar 
Well, there's a guy with an afro...I read this 5 minutes after I just changed it :)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #412 on: March 11, 2005, 10:27:46 AM

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #413 on: March 15, 2005, 01:02:35 PM

Scary pic of the day. Maybe NSFW banners.
schild
Administrator

Reply #414 on: March 15, 2005, 01:04:28 PM

Holy Jesus. Is she wearing a halloween mask?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #415 on: March 15, 2005, 01:20:21 PM

If so, I think she got tricked.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #416 on: March 15, 2005, 01:22:12 PM

She was ugly before. Now she's just a less made-up kind of ugly.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #417 on: March 15, 2005, 10:19:57 PM

She looks like a normal girl.  What's wrong with you people?

schild
Administrator

Reply #418 on: March 16, 2005, 04:36:01 AM

She looks like a normal girl.  What's wrong with you people?

Normal girls fall out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down?

I bet it's all those rouge-like games Avril plays.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #419 on: March 24, 2005, 10:56:02 AM

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Shockeye's Useless News  
Jump to: