Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 09:55:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Shockeye's Useless News 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shockeye's Useless News  (Read 166530 times)
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #700 on: October 01, 2005, 06:15:46 PM

What a lovely tattoo. NSFW.

Ouch. Does no one appreciate the pain of stubble?  I am so not stuccoing that house.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #701 on: October 06, 2005, 08:03:44 AM

Not useless but nothing to make a new thread over.

Modding Playstations ruled legal in Australia.

Sony tried to argue that the mod chip broke copyright protections by making the playstations region free and the down to earth judges came up with:

There is no copyright reason why the purchaser should not be entitled to copy the CD-ROM and modify the console in such a way as to enjoy his or her lawfully acquired property without inhibition.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #702 on: October 06, 2005, 08:12:30 AM

That's the most sensible thing I've heard in a long time. It's called fair use, something the US seems to wish would just wither away.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #703 on: October 06, 2005, 09:57:13 AM

There is no copyright reason why the purchaser should not be entitled to copy the CD-ROM and modify the console in such a way as to enjoy his or her lawfully acquired property without inhibition.

A-motherfucking-men.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #704 on: November 14, 2005, 06:14:52 PM

Quote from: Stray

It seems the Smoking Gun has the goods on our favorite mom.

Quote from: IBS
'Cool Mom' Gets 30 Years In Prison
Silvia Johnson Tearfully Apologizes In Court

POSTED: 7:50 pm CST November 14, 2005
UPDATED: 8:05 pm CST November 14, 2005

GOLDEN, Colo. -- An Arvada, Colo., mother who provided sex and booze to teenagers because she wanted to be a "cool mom" was sentenced to 30 years in prison Monday.

The judge said Silvia Johnson had used poor judgment in hosting the parties and consorting with the students from Arvada West High School. Jefferson County District Judge Peter Weir said her actions had tragic consequences on a number of people in the community and that truly cool moms provide guidance, attention and love, not alcohol and sex.

Just before the sentencing, the 41-year-old Johnson apologized.

"I've learned my lesson. I know I've hurt so many people, not just the boys but my own family ... myself and my community. I know I have a serious mental illness," Johnson said, sobbing.

Johnson's attorney argued a bipolar disorder clouded her judgment and asked the judge for leniency.

Jefferson County prosecutors argued that any mental illness Johnson had did not excuse her criminal behavior.

Prosecutors played a videotape showing Johnson calmly explaining to police why she had sex with teen boys and why she hosted more than a dozen parties for the high school students.

"I fell in love with being a part of the group, in a way, because I was never something ... that was never something I was a part of growing up. I was never in the popular group. I was never 'this.' Never cool, never any of kind this stuff. Where here, I was considered cool, the 'cool mom,'" Johnson said in the videotape.

When an investigator asked her on the tape if the sex was a compulsion she said, "No, not compulsion, but I think what I always had a hard time with is guys who do it are considered studs. A girl does it, she's considered a slut."

Parents of the victims also spoke up in court and said that her behavior had changed their boys' lives forever. They called her perverse and manipulative.

Johnson had faced 58 years in prison on 11 charges that range from contributing to the delinquency of a minor to misdemeanor sexual assault. She was also sentenced for a variety of other misdemeanors in unrelated cases, including five counts of violation of a restraining order, and two counts of assault in the third degree, for conduct involving her former husband and children.

Jefferson County District Attorney's Office spokesman Carl Blesch said Johnson will be eligible for parole in slightly more than 10 years.

Johnson's sentencing had to be postponed after a serious car wreck on Sept. 25 left her facing even more charges. She was in a sport utility vehicle driven by a 14-year-old girl that rolled on Interstate 25. The girl was not old enough to drive and one of the children in the car was Johnson's son.

Johnson faces additional charges for violating a protective order that barred her from having contact with her son and Douglas County prosecutors said they are considering filling charges against Johnson in connection with the SUV accident, since she allegedly allowed a child to drive.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #705 on: November 14, 2005, 07:05:50 PM

Okay, I hate to defend this woman, since she has some serious problems and does need to be locked up....But are any of her crimes serious enough to warrant 30 years? It's amazing that she didn't get acquitted out of at least one charge. Only serial killers and mob hitmen get shit stacked up against them like that. 
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: November 15, 2005, 04:12:57 AM

No need to defend her. She fucked up her life royaly.

But 30 years in prison ?

Seriously, what the fuck is going on over there guys ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #707 on: November 15, 2005, 06:36:44 AM

She was convicted on 18 charges, that's what.  She got 30 years instead of 58, and is eligible for parole in 10 years.  Provided she can prove she's reformed she'll get parole.  That's if she doesn't get out for 'good behavior' or what-not before that.

I have no pity.  Particularly since she fucked-up AGAIN on some of the same charges after she was convicted the first time.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #708 on: November 15, 2005, 06:55:44 AM

Total Lunacy.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #709 on: November 15, 2005, 08:45:00 AM

She was convicted on 18 charges, that's what.

Yeah, but a whole bunch of misdemeanors. It just doesn't seem very just. Not when manslaughter, rape, major robbery, narcotics dealing, and a whole slew of other things can get you less.

Add to that that she's being punished fully for what other people did. All of these dumb ass parents harping on about the "kids" ---- Fuck the kids. They're teenagers, not 6 year olds. They probably instigated all of it.

I'm not saying that she shouldn't be held responsible to an extent --- But 30 years? Give me a break. 30 years is for bonified criminals....Not stupid people.

[edit] Btw, the felony charges that she was facing were multiple accounts of the "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" sort. Probably passed them a joint or a beer.....And these kids were 16 and 17 year olds.

Interesting enough, the "sexual assault" charges were misdemeanors.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 09:03:00 AM by Stray »
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #710 on: November 15, 2005, 09:33:53 AM

It's not so much that she passed them a joint or a beer, she provided it to teens. Teenagers can find their own trouble, they don't need help from adults. Even if what she was doing seemed minor (ha! I crack myself up), she just did SO MUCH of it that it adds up to her being locked up for a very long time. And her joke of a plea "I wasn't popular in high school and this was my chance to finally fuck popular boys"? Gimme a fucking break. I'm glad at least one sociopath is off the streets.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #711 on: November 15, 2005, 09:38:28 AM

I'm glad at least one sociopath is off the streets.

"Off the streets" and "Off the streets for 30 years" are entirely different things!  tongue
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #712 on: November 15, 2005, 09:56:13 AM

If everyone involved was consenting, I don't have much problem with her.

I have a problem with the sentencing. I will refuse the urge to rant about mandatory minimum sentencing just now.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #713 on: November 15, 2005, 11:03:54 AM

3 years would have been plenty.  That way when she got out all the boy's would be legal  :-D

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #714 on: November 15, 2005, 12:18:22 PM

Would you all respond the same way if it were a 40-something man providing alcohol to teen girls and having sex with them?

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #715 on: November 15, 2005, 12:27:33 PM

When I was 16, I had sex with my sister's psychology professor.  He was, like... I dunno... old.  He was terrible at it, too, and should have been thrown in jail for that alone.  Now I'm, more than likely, as old as he was and he's probably dead by now.  See how things go 'round?

I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #716 on: November 15, 2005, 01:02:42 PM

Would you all respond the same way if it were a 40-something man providing alcohol to teen girls and having sex with them?

Umm....Yeah. Why on earth should a guy get 30 years for that? That's crazy.

Now if he/she raped them and held them against their will, that'd be a completely different story.

Also, you state it like it was some manipulative scheme of hers. Like she got em all wasted just to seduce them.

I doubt it. She's just an old hag who wanted to live out some juvenile fantasy and be "cool". Her house was a place where kids thought they could party freely and get laid. Maybe they had a Stifler complex or something.

Yes, it's stupid. Yes, it's wrong. But is it seriously criminal? That's all I'm asking.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #717 on: November 15, 2005, 01:06:47 PM

Something about how we should all be worried if you become a teacher...
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #718 on: November 15, 2005, 01:19:43 PM

When I was 16, I had sex with my sister's psychology professor.  He was, like... I dunno... old.  He was terrible at it, too, and should have been thrown in jail for that alone.  Now I'm, more than likely, as old as he was and he's probably dead by now.  See how things go 'round?

You could have been doing it wrong this time, but Righ is too much a gentleman to tell you.

"Me am play gods"
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #719 on: November 15, 2005, 07:31:38 PM

I will refuse the urge to rant about mandatory minimum sentencing just now.

I will do you a favor and quote some System of a Down lyrics for you:

All research and successful drug policy shows that treatment should be increased!
AAAHHHHHHH!
And law enforcement decreased while abolishing mandatory minimum sentences!
AAAHHHHHHH!

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #720 on: November 16, 2005, 03:41:02 AM

Yes.  Because some of us aren't fucking sexist assholes.

It cuts both ways.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #721 on: November 16, 2005, 06:38:55 AM

Umm....Yeah. Why on earth should a guy get 30 years for that? That's crazy.

Now if he/she raped them and held them against their will, that'd be a completely different story.

Yes, it's stupid. Yes, it's wrong. But is it seriously criminal? That's all I'm asking.

What he said.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #722 on: November 16, 2005, 06:40:03 AM

I will do you a favor and quote some System of a Down lyrics for you:
Thanks. Great album.

I was just thinking of the guy featured in Rolling Stone for smuggling pot across the border from Vancouver. He got a 10yr mandatory minimum sentence, but the guy who killed the rival dealer is eligible for parole in 8 years. So a murderer can walk 2 years before a guy who crossed an imaginary line with some plant matter. I got off the mothership on the wrong planet.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #723 on: November 16, 2005, 06:53:32 AM

Seriously, don't start.

You'll get yourself really upset and I'll probably upset you more by saying something insensitive like 'lol, Americans suk'.

Just relax and have a coffee.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #724 on: November 16, 2005, 12:04:21 PM

When I got over my disbelief that the tired old broad was actually getting some action, I came to the conclusion that 30 years is a bit much. But seriously, what do you do with someone who has done so much of a wrong thing, even if it's not that evil? Truthfully, someone could've been killed because she was letting a 14-yr. old drive, and what if someone had driven home drunk form one of her parties because she was getting her freak on and not supervising? I had friends with "cool moms" in high school who would let us bum smokes off them or watch Fantasia while we were tripping on acid, but it was more of a place to crash without our parents knowing what we were really up to. She wasn't getting loaded with us.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #725 on: November 16, 2005, 12:18:35 PM

Truthfully, someone could've been killed because she was letting a 14-yr. old drive

But that didn't happen....And that makes (...or should make) a ton of difference.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #726 on: November 16, 2005, 12:36:29 PM

Truthfully, someone could've been killed because she was letting a 14-yr. old drive

But that didn't happen....And that makes (...or should make) a ton of difference.

So if I run into McDonald's with an AK and spray shots everywhere with the intent to kill anyone I can, and just happen to be such a piss-poor shot that I miss everybody and end up hurting no one, I should get a slap on the wrist as opposed to pound-me-in-the-ass prison?

Her intent was to commit these crimes, and she did it. Repeatedly. For a long time with a lot of people. Yes, they are small crimes, and consensual ones at that. But they are still crimes. While 30 years does seem a long time (even though she'll probably be paroled in 10), it seems her complete lack of remorse, as evidenced by her thing with the 14-year old driver, probably played into it heavily.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #727 on: November 16, 2005, 12:53:44 PM

So if I run into McDonald's with an AK and spray shots everywhere with the intent to kill anyone I can, and just happen to be such a piss-poor shot that I miss everybody and end up hurting no one, I should get a slap on the wrist as opposed to pound-me-in-the-ass prison?

Well, there are laws that account for that. "Attempted murder" and whatnot. That still leads to prison. This woman was charged with multiple misdeamoners, almost all dealing with the sex thing, and felony accounts related to contributing alchohol and drugs to minors. As lame as those are, I just don't see the comparison.

Also, I never said that she should just get a slap on the wrist. They're all crimes worthy of being prosecuted to their fullest extent. I just have a problem with prosecuting them all to their fullest extent seperately, and then stacking the sentences on top of each other. At a certain point, that shit gets terribly ridiculous and.....Unjust.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #728 on: November 16, 2005, 01:00:39 PM

I dunno. Commit the crime, do the time? Sentences have to be stacked, otherwise there would be no difference between killing one person and killing thirty.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #729 on: November 16, 2005, 01:07:25 PM

I dunno. Commit the crime, do the time? Sentences have to be stacked, otherwise there would be no difference between killing one person and killing thirty.

And what's the difference between serving a life sentence and serving multiple life sentences? Or one death sentence and multiple death sentences? Death and Life are the two most extreme punishments. You can't punish anyone more than that.

What the heck is the difference between sentencing someone to death for killing 30 people and sentencing someone to death for killing 30 people, but in word only, they're being sentenced to death 30 times?

Besides all that, she didn't kill anyone. She fucked 17 year old boys and gave them beer.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #730 on: November 16, 2005, 01:39:36 PM

And what's the difference between serving a life sentence and serving multiple life sentences? Or one death sentence and multiple death sentences? Death and Life are the two most extreme punishments. You can't punish anyone more than that.

What the heck is the difference between sentencing someone to death for killing 30 people one person and sentencing someone to death for killing 30 people, but in word only, they're being sentenced to death 30 times?

Besides all that, she didn't kill anyone. She fucked 17 year old boys and gave them beer.

I fixed that for you (I assume that's what you meant to say). People rarely get death or a life sentence for killing one person, but it's not uncommon if a person committed multiple homicides.  And serving multiple life sentences pushes back the date at which one is first eligible for parole. That's the difference.

That's not the point. If you rob a bank you get one sentence, if you rob several you serve more time because there are multiple sentences on top of each other. It's not much of a head-scratcher. She just did so much of what she did, that whoops! now she has to face numerous charges. She knew what she was doing was wrong, she just didn't care. I don't feel sorry for her at all. In fact, any time someone does something they know is wrong with no regard for consequences I think they waive their rights as an adult.

(I'm not talking about smoking pot or running stop signs so don't try to go there - I'm talking about 'wrong' vs. 'illegal'.)

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #731 on: November 16, 2005, 01:47:01 PM

(I assume that's what you meant to say).

No, actually, I typed what I meant. In this rare case at least  wink.

People rarely get death or a life sentence for killing one person

Come to Texas, baby.

That's not the point. If you rob a bank you get one sentence, if you rob several you serve more time because there are multiple sentences on top of each other. It's not much of a head-scratcher. She just did so much of what she did, that whoops! now she has to face numerous charges. She knew what she was doing was wrong, she just didn't care. I don't feel sorry for her at all. In fact, any time someone does something they know is wrong with no regard for consequences I think they waive their rights as an adult.

(I'm not talking about smoking pot or running stop signs so don't try to go there - I'm talking about 'wrong' vs. 'illegal'.)

Lets suppose that I do think sentences should be stacked fully on top of each other.....That just leads me to another question: Should all crimes be considered that way? If anything, there should be "degrees of stackability" --- Which is to say, Murder has a better case for being stacked over and over and over and over and over and over again than does running a stoplight. Stackability, just like punishment, should "fit the crime".... Sentencing people to prison for half a lifetime for hardly major crimes is a supremely fucked up idea.....And I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about that.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 01:51:26 PM by Stray »
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #732 on: November 16, 2005, 01:48:28 PM

Its only wrong if you get caught.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #733 on: November 16, 2005, 03:35:44 PM

Her intent was to commit these crimes, and she did it. Repeatedly. For a long time with a lot of people. Yes, they are small crimes, and consensual ones at that. But they are still crimes. While 30 years does seem a long time (even though she'll probably be paroled in 10), it seems her complete lack of remorse, as evidenced by her thing with the 14-year old driver, probably played into it heavily.

See, but she /didn't/ intend to get anyone killed.  She was negligent, sure, but there's a difference between negligent homicide and homicide.  If someone had been killed because she let that 14 year old drive the car, it could be negligent homicide.  No one did, so what do we charge her with? "Theoretical negligent homicide"?

At that point, we might as well make "Acting like a dumbfuck" illegal.

...... Actually, this is sounding pretty good.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #734 on: November 16, 2005, 03:47:05 PM

See, but she /didn't/ intend to get anyone killed.  She was negligent, sure, but there's a difference between negligent homicide and homicide.  If someone had been killed because she let that 14 year old drive the car, it could be negligent homicide.  No one did, so what do we charge her with? "Theoretical negligent homicide"?

Attempted manslaughter is what comes to mind, actually. Isn't that why driving drunk is illegal?

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Shockeye's Useless News  
Jump to: