Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:43:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: US Army unveils Terminator T-1 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: US Army unveils Terminator T-1  (Read 11089 times)
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

on: August 16, 2004, 03:26:25 PM

http://216.26.163.62/2004/ss_military_08_16.html

No pictures, but I think it's based on this version of the PackBot:

Which doesn't look too far from Terminator 3's:

Bruce
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 03:43:38 PM

Any word on whether it has a John Wayne fetish?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 05:21:51 PM

PackBot is manufactured by iRobot Corp.

Oh, the irony!
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 08:31:58 AM

The pathetic robots being used these days just make me laugh.  I remember shortly after 9/11.  Some teens had made some moronic comments about bombs and such in a georgia restauraunt because people were staring at them.  The then head into florida and ran a few tollbooths setting off the authorities and connecting them to the stupid terrorism comments they made earlier in the day.  They shut down the entire highway, arrested and detained teh kids and then backed off the car and brought in the bomb squad.

Live 24 hour fucking news coverage of this here in Florida.  The bomb squad brings out their robot.  It slowly crawls towards the car.  Very very very slowly.  News covering this exciting event live from a helicopter.  Then the robot tips over.  The moronic newscasters didn't know what happened and wondered why it stopped (even though it was OBVIOUSLY a tipped robot).  The talked to their 'robot expert' who explained it had tipped over (classic what the fuck did you THINK happened look on his face).

The bomb squad runs out from behind their temporary blast shields and rights the robot.  It continues to creep towards the car.... and then just sits there.  It can't open the trunk of course.... um... bomb squad comes out and opens the trunk about half an hour later to find it pretty much empty.

Our robots we have currently in use are fucking pathetic.  They are embarassing.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 08:47:18 AM

DARPA's last autonomous vehicle race was similarly pathetic.  I don't think any of the vehicles made it more than a half mile from the start; and one of them was a modified Humvee, I mean really, put a brick on the gas and a rope on the wheel and you'd do better.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 12:18:42 PM

Osama Bin Laden, j00 haf been terminated.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 01:24:47 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
Osama Bin Laden, j00 haf been terminated.

Bah, hold on. The damned thing flipped over again.

We need a weeblenator!
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 04:01:28 PM

Meh, just as long as none of the bots are controlled by a super computer with a name even remotely simialr to HAL, VIKI, Shodan, or Sky Net.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 06:12:29 PM

They're all very laughable until they're pumping 30 pounds of munitions into your chest.

The army likes robots.  They're as loyal as you program them to be, they never disobey orders, they can (eventually) be cheaply manufactured and you never have to bother writing home when one gets blown to kingdom come on the field.   It's just a matter of time until they perfect the technology well enough that these things can think and fight on their own.

Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 01:42:37 AM

Quote from: SurfD
Meh, just as long as none of the bots are controlled by a super computer with a name even remotely simialr to HAL, VIKI, Shodan, or Sky Net.

Shodan would be fine, atleast then we get to live on as genetic experiments and cyborgs. And if we're lucky we get to kill hackers/scriptkiddies. What could be better?

Wiiiiii!
plangent
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 04:18:09 AM

Some Battlebots were pretty tough.

e.g.,

Homo sum.  Humani nil a me alienum puto.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 04:39:25 AM

On the other hand, look at them fucking japs and their humanoid robot thingies. It's just a matter of time to have these things be all terrain capable and moving faster. Then it's just all about remote control and/or AI.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 04:47:34 AM

So the Japs have AZIMO. I'm not worried: we have Wil Smith.

unbannable
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 18, 2004, 04:56:28 AM

Since Bad Boys 2, I'd be worried about Will Smith too, if I were in your place.

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 18, 2004, 07:41:42 AM

Robots soldiers are not loyal worth shit, what are you talking about?  All it takes is someone with the right frequency and codes and they can order them to do whatever they want.  Any captured robot soldier is a remarkably easily brainwashed soldier.  And a wave of soldiers that will fall down and cry for their mothers around any emp like burst is not exactly what I want to put my faith in.

Robot soldiers is a fucking terribly stupid idea.  At least for the entirety of the forseeable future.  Robot stealth recon maybe, but in that case the flying bots we already have are probably the better direction to build off of.
Piperfan
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 18, 2004, 09:04:21 AM

Quote from: SurfD

Colossus?

bah! Kids.

Go stand in walmart parking lot and try to get 5 other people to go help you move furniture for a few hours. That's mmo grouping to me. - Sky
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 18, 2004, 11:32:27 AM

All it takes is someone with the right frequency and codes and they can order them to do whatever they want.

A similar situation is what I thought of when I was watching Future Fighting Machines and they were talking about a new thread that the military wants to use that shines brightly when viewed at night with special goggles, so we could easily identify our boys in the field.

Well, that's great. Until someone gets a hold of a pair of those goggles, then we're pancaked.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 20, 2004, 05:17:01 AM

Quote from: Alluvian
All it takes is someone with the right frequency and codes and they can order them to do whatever they want.

Quantum teleportation.

They're able to link two particles together and transmit state changes from one particle to the other linked one instantly over whatever distance. That would allow information transfer without delay and securely, since you can't interfere or wiretap. While it's rather complex to set up something like this these days, I don't see a reason why they wouldn't be able to produce military "quantum network cables" around the time (50yrs or later, or maybe way more) they've developed robots that are able to keep balance on all sort of terrains and conditions, and move quickly and efficiently.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 20, 2004, 05:29:09 AM

Here comes the science :

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 20, 2004, 07:50:26 AM

Seems a bit extreme when you can just use a pretty good frequency hopping device and an decent encryption algorythm and have the same effect.

But quantum communication devices do sound much neater.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 20, 2004, 08:07:29 AM

Zero ping.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 20, 2004, 08:20:00 AM

Don't know much about the science behind this, but no distance limitations and true zero ping just seems too good to be true.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 20, 2004, 08:25:42 AM

The current distance limitations are a bit of a problem.
personman
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 20, 2004, 08:56:14 AM

The width of the Danube is probably still smaller than the playfield of the average general.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3576594.stm
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 20, 2004, 09:53:50 AM

Distance is indeed a problem currently, but theoretically, it should be without limit. I don't know the details of the experiment and why they're running into a limit, but they're already thinking of quantum repeaters to get around this, which would apparently still keep it zero ping, since the state switches are instantly, even though they'd be chained up.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 20, 2004, 11:14:56 AM

I like that the article kept Alice and Bob as the examples used for the experiment.  They are something of a running joke in quantum physics (almost all explanations for the strange properties of quantum particles are done via Alice and Bob).

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
personman
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 20, 2004, 11:21:29 AM

Ah Brian Greene broke the joke in his book - he uses George and Gracie...
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 20, 2004, 12:22:51 PM

besides, those tests so far would require the robot to have a long chord leading back to your base.  Completely useless for military use.  If satellite works then you might have something as long as your robot never goes indoors or under clouds.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 20, 2004, 12:38:40 PM

I thought Dawn already had this technology nailed down....

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #29 on: August 20, 2004, 12:49:51 PM

you weren't supposed to go there.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 20, 2004, 04:02:10 PM

No, Dawn was one step ahead of them, remember: negative ping.  Their patented time distortion technology allowed the servers to know what the client wanted to do BEFORE the client actually did it.

daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 20, 2004, 06:34:17 PM

With quantum dynamics, anything can happen.
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 31, 2004, 07:22:43 AM

It's all fun and games until Prime Intellect gets a hold of the this.
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 02, 2004, 11:50:09 AM

Its a remote control vehicle. Is it still a robot ? I thought it had to be autonomous to be one?
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 02, 2004, 04:15:31 PM

Autonomous and "Remote Controll" dont nessicarily have to be mutually exclusive.

If you are thinking Remote Controll as in a remote controlled car, which can not function without someone behind the wheel/controller, then I see your point.

However, if the Remote Controll is someone giving an instruction to an autonomous bot from a distance, which the bot is then free to act on in whatever means it finds nessicary to complete the instruction, then i would still classify it as a robot.

Along the same question: You are Autonomous, yet you still do what your boss tells you to do when he yells an instruction across the room, do you not?  Is that considered a form of remote crontroll?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: US Army unveils Terminator T-1  
Jump to: