Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:18:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: EQII Quest News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQII Quest News  (Read 20670 times)
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: August 17, 2004, 10:21:16 AM

Quote from: Sky
Especially if you need the Dixie Cup to access the Abandon Beer Shed or something.

NOW WE'RE TALKING! Rednecks Online, combining shotgun style pvp, auto racing, demolition derbies, deer hunting, beer guzzling...there's a gateway to entice the walmart crowd into the genre!

Or they could make another game with elves, eh?

Rednecks online.... Sky you need to start bottling that stuff... Straight from the Ozark Mts! I think this needs a random link too....I see a lot of potential for fun. Someone really is missing the boat on Deerhunter online though...

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36 on: August 17, 2004, 12:02:36 PM

Deerhunter online would only be one facet. You could get endorsements from NASCAR and Genny Cream Ale or Old Milwaukee. Don't forget bass fishing, sponsored by Zebco and Walmart!

Are you listening, Raph?! It's a whole virtual backwater state, trailer park housing for players, a virtual welfare state, it's the logical next step! Customize your avatar with everything from safety orange vests to treebark camo to the ubiquitous wifebeater. Will you go with the mullet or possibly the vaunted skullet?

"Git off mah propty!"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 17, 2004, 12:03:29 PM

Total disclosure: I grew up a redneck :)
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: August 17, 2004, 12:43:16 PM

Don't forget being able to raise your own virtual pitbull for weekly fights...

daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 17, 2004, 01:00:22 PM

Can I have my own meth lab?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #40 on: August 17, 2004, 01:19:44 PM

Especially if you need the Dixie Cup to access the Abandon Beer Shed or something.

NOW WE'RE TALKING! Rednecks Online, combining shotgun style pvp, auto racing, demolition derbies, deer hunting, beer guzzling...there's a gateway to entice the walmart crowd into the genre!

Or they could make another game with elves, eh?

You forgot the wife-beating contests and the crafting system involving tinkering on a Camaro on blocks in the front yard to see how tall the grass can grow around it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 17, 2004, 01:27:01 PM

Quote from: daveNYC
Can I have my own meth lab?

Sorry, that's Bikers & Bitches Online. But you can race lawn tractors!
Don't forget being able to raise your own virtual pitbull for weekly fights...

Yes, you can have a variety of pets, including bulldogs, pitbulls, ferrets, and basset hounds. Most pets can be trained to carry out basic functions such as 'fechme abeer' and 'sic em'.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 17, 2004, 01:41:59 PM

Total disclosure: I grew up a redneck :)

So did I.  Ahhh, the joys of picking up hay bail in 100 degree heat in the summer and cutting the ice over frozen ponds with an axe in 20 degree below winters.  (That's Fahrenheit for all you metric folks.)

Bruce
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 17, 2004, 08:19:50 PM

Maybe this is older news now, but these comments on trade skills in EQ2 struck me:

"It's also an active process, almost like combat. As your character hammers away at the forge, sparks flying, a progress bar shows how your item is coming along. Although it's not implemented yet, random events will eventually happen requiring your attention, as well as giving you the opportunity to drastically improve (or totally ruin!) your item. "

from http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/everquest-ii/536998p2.html

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #44 on: August 17, 2004, 08:29:59 PM

Quote from: jpark
"It's also an active process, almost like combat. As your character hammers away at the forge, sparks flying, a progress bar shows how your item is coming along. Although it's not implemented yet, random events will eventually happen requiring your attention, as well as giving you the opportunity to drastically improve (or totally ruin!) your item. "

Cynical translation:

Tradeskills in EQ II are even more mind-numbingly dull than in EQ that we've had to put in things to try and prevent macroers.
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: August 17, 2004, 08:37:25 PM

That's not cynical so much as uninformed. The events are chances to make your item better - essentially a gambling system. I'd prefer that to people finding a great ore in SWG and making 1000 of the best Sonic Blaster or whatever and cornering the market.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 18, 2004, 12:40:28 AM

Quote from: jpark
Maybe this is older news now, but these comments on trade skills in EQ2 struck me:

from http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/everquest-ii/536998p2.html

These are almost exactly the same words the SWG team used to add 'features' to stop afk macro sample-mining.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #47 on: August 18, 2004, 12:53:15 AM

Quote from: schild
That's not cynical so much as uninformed. The events are chances to make your item better - essentially a gambling system.

Notice the "or totally ruin!" in parens. That's what I mean by stopping macroing. It's not just a chance to improve an item. If you aren't around when the random event pops I'm assuming the default is for it to fail, and badly (i.e. all components lost or whatever).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 18, 2004, 06:51:14 AM

Ahh, the plight of the afk macroer! Puh-leese! Why would game developers want to encourage that kind of crap?
personman
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 18, 2004, 07:34:20 AM

Quote from: eldaec
These are almost exactly the same words the SWG team used to add 'features' to stop afk macro sample-mining.

Which had no impact whatsoever.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 18, 2004, 07:47:51 AM

I can't wait until I get to punch the monkey to make a broadsword of roxxorage.  Immersive.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #51 on: August 18, 2004, 08:43:07 AM

Punch the monkey games would be an improvement over DAoC's tradeskills and certainly over EQ's tradeskills.

More interactivity in trade skills plzkthx, less mindless making of 3 bazillion USELESS FUCKING WIDGETS.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 18, 2004, 09:01:00 AM

The other advantage to the way eq2 is doing tradeskills is if it takes roughly the same time to make a newbie sword going through the mini game as a high end one. This helps to keep a couple uber crafters from just owning the whole market spectrum. Novice smiths would be where novices go to buy their gear as unless a high end smith is your good buddy it likely isn't worth their time to bottom feed.

Also actually having to give input during the crafting process should make it far more difficult to macro tradeskills which is what really killed me in SWG. It is very disheartening to hear people reach master droid engineer in 6 hours due to their uber macro when it took me 4 weeks to do it before anybody knew how to set those macros up. Macroing can completly devalue the skill of a real dedicated at the keyboard crafter.

Kaid
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #53 on: August 18, 2004, 03:06:03 PM

Quote from: El Gallo
I can't wait until I get to punch the monkey to make a braodsword of roxxorage.  Immersive.

hahaha.

punch the monkey.

Love it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: August 18, 2004, 03:15:12 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
More interactivity in trade skills plzkthx, less mindless making of 3 bazillion USELESS FUCKING WIDGETS.

My favorite crafted item in any MMO ever was the neomidian birdcage in SWG. Served no fucking purpose. I searched and searched for a neomidian bird while I had CH skills in SWG and didn't find one. It was a useless item, not the easiest to make and wasn't even great furniture as it sat on the ground instead of a pole.

So yes, less widgets, more interactivity, and less shit - kthx.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 18, 2004, 09:38:52 PM

sucks when your misspellings get quoted~

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 19, 2004, 05:12:05 AM

Ahh, the plight of the afk macroer! Puh-leese! Why would game developers want to encourage that kind of crap?

Because they can't seem to design an interactive and fun crafting system?

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #57 on: August 19, 2004, 05:59:36 AM

What would be a more fun and interactive crafting system?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 19, 2004, 06:53:06 AM

Well, one could always NOT PLAY games that are repetetive and boring, instead of macroing them :)

But folks still go ahead and keep paying these companies for that crap.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: EQII Quest News  
Jump to: