Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:06:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Be your own boss, make that MMO! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Be your own boss, make that MMO!  (Read 58251 times)
Gutboy Barrelhouse
Terracotta Army

on: February 24, 2007, 11:56:13 AM

Acclaim Games Unveils the 'Top Secret' MMOG Project

Los Angeles (February 23, 2007) - Acclaim Games and video game industry superstar David Perry have partnered to present the ground-breaking "Top Secret" project. In this project, players actually get an opportunity to participate in the entire video game development process from start to finish.

In an unprecedented move for the game industry, these players will be given a chance to have their work featured in a massively multiplayer PC game that will be published by Acclaim and directed by David Perry. Perry will choose a winner from the contributors, and Acclaim will be giving them a breath-taking prize, 'A Video Game Industry Directorship', working on a new fully-funded massively multiplayer online PC game. David Perry will be their Executive Producer to help them as needed on their game, and once they complete their project, they will even earn royalties from the game sales!

"I've always loved the idea that someone, from their bedroom, reveals their passion and talent, then suddenly can have an absolutely stunning career explosion, becoming a famous Game Director with a pre-built fan base. We're going to make it happen!" says David Perry who is a Game Director and Chief Creative Officer for Acclaim Games.

David Perry will be building the new online game from scratch and is offering members of the Acclaim player community a rare opportunity to help him develop this video game in a collaborative effort with some of the industry's best talent. "We will bring in some surprise guests along the way to inspire and mentor the contributors," says Perry.

One lucky winner who shines the most during the development process will be given the top prize. "This is the only chance I know of to jumpstart a directorship career in the video game industry," continues Perry. "Everyone wins. They get to learn how to make professional games, and if they get anything in, they get a real professional credit on their resume." Perry finishes, "But, if they win, well then they get their life changed."

Interestingly, applicants don't need any prior game development experience. In fact, Perry refuses to look at resumes. "We only care about the pure, focused, passionate talent they show up with," he says.

"Top Secret is like 'The Apprentice' meets 'American Idol' meets 'The Video Game Industry'. We're giving our players a chance to work on an online game that we will actually develop and publish. Our community really loves these games and knows what it takes to make a hit. And it will be a dream come true for one lucky star that shines the most throughout the project," says Acclaim CEO Howard Marks.

This is a first-of-its-kind project from the new Acclaim, a resurrected company with a very well known name. The new Acclaim will focus entirely on providing quality multiplayer online games for free. The games will be supported with a mix of advertising and virtual item stores. Acclaim has already partnered with IGA Worldwide to provide in-game advertising for its other online game titles.

The entry period will be limited, and so will the number of people allowed in to see the project, so sign up now to become a team member on Top Secret. To register for a free account and find out more about Top Secret, visit http://topsecret.acclaim.com/

Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 01:33:53 PM

Lol...all I can say is, "lol".

Rumors of War
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 01:50:28 PM

This can only end in tears.

Delicious, sweet, hilarious tears.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 01:53:51 PM

This is going to end better than The Homer.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 02:48:45 PM

Videogame Industry Superstar. That's got to be the best thing I've ever heard.
Moorgard
Developers

38 Studios

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 03:08:45 PM

The irony is that there's nothing unbelievable about this announcement. It's absurd, of course, but nobody should be all that surprised.

Steve Danuser
Creative Director
38 Studios
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 04:42:51 PM

He's the guy who "did" Earthworm Jim, MDK, and Sacrifice ... no bad games in my book.

According to his website he is also directing 2moons. I have never heard of it.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 04:59:09 PM

2moons is one of the litany of generic Korean imports Acclaim picked up to publish in the U.S. Explains how he came into Acclaim fold. He's even got his own logo (seen in topleft of this page). He's probably done some good stuff but it feels like Acclaim is throwing his name around because Acclaim by itself doesn't inspire much these days (maybe, or not, until they prove/re-prove themselves... been an odd path they've been on lo these last 12 months).

Otherwise, seems familiar  evil
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 05:50:58 PM

Otherwise, seems familiar  evil

131 hits on the counter.  I sure hope that's just because it's broken.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 06:15:36 PM

Perry is (was) one of those Videogame Rock Stars from the 90's. From the UK as memory serves. He was one of the guys behind I think Cool Spot on the Genesis/MD as well as I believe Aladdin both of which had very nice and smooth animation for the day. He left and set up his own house (Shiny Entertainment) which was when he put out EWJ (which was okay, but essentially just more of the same) and went on to create the other games listed. MDK was a bit of a stinker, didn't play the other titles you listed (though Sacrifice came free with one of my video cards several years ago, I didn't get around to installing).

My favorite part of the quoted press release was this bit, however.

Acclaim Games Unveils the 'Top Secret' MMOG Project
"Everyone wins. They get to learn how to make professional games, and if they get anything in, they get a real professional credit on their resume." Perry finishes, "But, if they win, well then they get their life changed."

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 11:29:04 PM

Where's HRose?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 11:38:18 PM

Earthworm Jim rocked. Still fun, and pretty good looking to this day. And just an all around great video game character as well.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 01:04:15 AM

Where's HRose?
If I had a big ego I'd think they wrote that announce to laugh at me.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 10:41:28 AM

He's the guy who "did" Earthworm Jim, MDK, and Sacrifice ... no bad games in my book.

You never played Enter the Matrix, hmm?

That aside, I'm not sure what this is, really.  I'd be tempted to sign up for it, just for the experience, but I'm not really sure what's entailed.  Do you just, like, send them stuff and they rate it?  Or do you have to move out to Guam or wherever their offices are located and actually, y'know, develop stuff (meetings, schedules, supervisors, etc.)?  Is this something that "someone, from their bedroom" can actually do, or is he using that phrase as some obscure euphemism for "a team of comp-sci students with no other time commitments" or what?  That site is not terribly informative.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 02:40:08 PM

You never played Enter the Matrix, hmm?

No I did not.

That was done by Shiny as well ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 02:46:04 PM

Dave Perry is a tireless self-promoter, very annoying.

This idea is obviously horrible.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Hound
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 02:54:33 PM

Given the number of failures we've seen in MMORPGs, designers need to learn it's hard enough just to make a fun game without getting distracted by unnecessary drivel.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 09:19:40 PM

Welcome to Top Secret

We recommend viewing the Top Secret site

with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 and

above versions. You can use other

browsers but you may not receive

the full experience.

Download
Internet Explorer
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 09:41:08 PM

Cookies are mandatory as well.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 08:18:10 AM

David Perry is the same guy who had a BRILLIANT AMAZING BRAINSTORM to give you an XP bonus to have ad banners on screen. I had a few things to say about that last year.

Reading this latest, I have much the same reaction. It sounds like Perry doesn't actually want to make games, but to make money from making games.

Which isn't bad (I'm all about the capitalism, y0), but he may want to find someone who *does* want to make games and partner with them, or else we'll continue to get brilliantly vapid ideas like this.
Lietgardis
Developers

SOE

Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 09:42:00 AM

Woah, David Perry has his own personal logo.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 10:34:32 AM

isn't this just about getting new ideas or player PR?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 12:55:34 PM

I'd point Perry over to OpenSource.org. Because as we all know, Net-developed open source projects end so well and make such great profit for the creators.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 01:12:36 PM

My favorite part:

"I've always loved the idea that someone, from their bedroom, reveals their passion and talent, then suddenly can have an absolutely stunning career explosion,

I'm all excited now.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 01:15:49 PM

"Top Secret"; where white noise meets innovation.

This could be the Flavor Flav reality show of the gaming industry.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 01:20:25 PM

I almost made a "Flavor of Love" joke back there, but it was cut from the final draft.  Spooky.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Gutboy Barrelhouse
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 26, 2007, 03:29:58 PM

My favorite part:

"I've always loved the idea that someone, from their bedroom, reveals their passion and talent, then suddenly can have an absolutely stunning career explosion,

I'm all excited now.

Hey that worked for Jenna Jameson  evil
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 27, 2007, 09:18:45 AM

I don't think that was only her bedroom.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #28 on: March 03, 2007, 09:22:35 PM

Just a thought: why not participating as a group?

It could be fun working on a small casual project.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 03, 2007, 09:38:54 PM

Just a thought: why not participating as a group?

It could be fun working on a small casual project.

Sounds good to me, but I can't find any specific information about it.  The site linked at the top of the article is, like, two paragraphs of PR stuff, and it leaves a lot of blanks.  I tried googling it, but I kept getting the news releases about the contest, rather than the actual rules and "okay, here's what you have to do" stuff.
Dundee
Developers

Jeff Freeman

Reply #30 on: March 03, 2007, 10:09:51 PM

Which isn't bad (I'm all about the capitalism, y0), but he may want to find someone who *does* want to make games and partner with them, or else we'll continue to get brilliantly vapid ideas like this.

Isn't that what he's doing?

Jeff Freeman
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #31 on: March 03, 2007, 10:33:05 PM

Sounds good to me, but I can't find any specific information about it.  The site linked at the top of the article is, like, two paragraphs of PR stuff, and it leaves a lot of blanks.  I tried googling it, but I kept getting the news releases about the contest, rather than the actual rules and "okay, here's what you have to do" stuff.
There was an interview where he explained a bit the process. Nothing really looking good.

I think there's a plan for moderated forums, then ideas get discussed and voted, groups are formed and then I don't know.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 10:36:22 PM by HRose »

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #32 on: March 03, 2007, 11:15:44 PM

A short brainstorming:

1- This is supposed to be a smallish project as they said it must be completed in about a year and will be one of those "free" games. So nothing ambitious like a complex sandbox or a massive-scale game.

2- It should work on current or easy-to-make technology. So you cannot focus on something innovative or not already proven from the technology side.

3- Low production value. You cannot expect large and immersive worlds either, with impressive vistas and focus on the exploration. It's a good idea to build a thing that can work on a limited group of art assets where things can be easily reused.

Considering this I guess the best choice is for a game easily accessible, with a shallow power curve, small download, that you can get, log in and have some cheap fun within a minute. Since the "scope" cannot be a goal I guess the focus is on a core gameplay easy to get and fun. Something simple but that can be also be mixed to hook the attention for longer.

One idea I had was for a Mechwarrior/Battletech/Gundam hybrid with small RTS elements. Something like Planetside, but more RPG-paced. The fact that art assets should be reused makes a good idea to go toward PvP. It could work through a short PvE introduction, with simple missions to complete, either online with mates, or offline. Completely skippable.

Then you reach the "latter" game. A set of "maps" that may be linked by goals and purposes. PvP/conquest maps as well PvE cooperative mission maps. Either path (PvP or PvE) viable without forcing players one way or the other. You get points more or less like DAoC or WoW PvP. Then use these points to buy new mech parts.

The "core feature" of the game could be that there is a lot of freedom on how you build your mechs, so that you can put together and rig all sort of crazy, custom mechs. You build a basic infrastructure, like a "grammar", then let the player recombine mech parts for a near-limitless number of combinations. Studying a system so that the final stats and capabilities of the mech fall within a directed "balance"... Maybe you can take ispiration from Magic, the card game, where each "map" has also set "requirements", so that the mechs must meet those requirements in order to participate. Like in Gran Turismo (the racing game) you have to have the right car to access set competitions.

You can then have "practice" maps where you can go to test and fine tune your mech, without any restriction at all.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 04, 2007, 12:23:29 AM

A short brainstorming: (snip)

Sounds good to me (As long as by "art assets should be reused" you aren't saying that we should actually use the copyrighted mecha from Mechwarrior or Gundam, that is).

Though, again, it bugs me how little info there is about this contest.  I originally got the impression that there were actually two games being made here; one game (Game A) which would be directed (presumably) by Shiny with content donated by the masses, and one game (Game B) done by Shiny but where the best "contributor" from Game A gets to write the design docs.  Re-reading that, though, it could be something as basic as them saying "you write a game, and then we'll publish the best one," which is way, way different.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #34 on: March 04, 2007, 04:01:38 PM

Always thought a tycoon game that has player in charge of developing (and then maintaining) MMOs would be a hoot... the reality show version of that sounds even better.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Be your own boss, make that MMO!  
Jump to: