Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:52:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  PlanetSide  |  Topic: Evant in Progress - 4pm Central 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Evant in Progress - 4pm Central  (Read 32587 times)
Evangolis
Contributor

on: February 13, 2007, 02:18:09 PM

There is a Monolith that has been spawned on Ceryshen by the GMs.  Successful defense will allow the winners to use the other empires vehicles for 48 hours.

In case you might be interested.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 03:05:33 PM

Event over, took about 25 minutes, TR won, and will be driving any vehicle in the game for the next 48 hours.

My experience with the event was discovering how nasty the Ceryshen terrain is to drive on.

Did have fun running around a Spitfire patch I planted, with some guy on an ATV chasing me around.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 03:07:13 PM

What's an "Evant"?  snark-snark

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 03:12:10 PM

goddamn Easy Mode empire.  tongue

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 03:13:44 PM

And why can't you just capture and use another empire's vehicles anyway?

Are they DNA-coded like puddlejumpers?

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 03:17:26 PM

And why can't you just capture and use another empire's vehicles anyway?
You can. Stealing enemy BFRs is especially fun (pilots often leave them unattended in courtyards).
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 03:25:52 PM

I love hacking vehicles. Haven't been able to hack a biffer yet. (At least not one I could pilot)

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 08:26:15 PM

You can also pick up their weapons off of corpses. You can't save them in your inventory favorites.

If you have certification for your faction's equivalent you can use them... which means everybody can use the enemy faction sidearms. If you wanted to have some cross-faction arms trading fun you could make a newbie TR, load the trunk of a buggy full of Jackhammers and drive it to an inconspicuous place where it might accidentally get hacked...

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 01:58:49 AM

Jackhammers are from the NC.  smiley

Anyway...which vehicle has the largest trunk? Not that I'm going to go through the hassle, but it would be interesting. I already have a Jackhammer and a few MCGs in my locker.

Not that I actually have the certs to use any of them. Feel free to ask me in-game when you would like one. I tend to pick these things up after capping a tower, when there's lots of enemy backpacks around.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 07:37:26 AM

I did some arms running back in the day. I filled up a locker with Core weapons so I'd have a nice supply available.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 01:30:55 PM

Are there any core weapons worth using? The little chargeup pistol is the only one I wish I had, when stealthing...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 07:43:10 AM

I think I used to use the one that was a lightning gun. Was that the one with the anti-zerg pain bubble grenades?
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 03:01:02 AM

The Maelstrom, yeah. AT HA weapon, three fire modes - chain-lash (lightning), sticky bubble grenades and 3 second fuse grenades I think.
Rhonstet
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 03:51:42 PM

I think I used to use the one that was a lightning gun. Was that the one with the anti-zerg pain bubble grenades?

I think you mean the Radiator (or at least, that was what we called it).

I like the vehicles more myself.  The Router lets you move infantry faster, Switchblades are the only ATV worth a damn, and the Flail is just dirty when combined with teamspeak and a commander who can set waypoints.

We now return to your regularly scheduled foolishness, already in progress.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 08:30:48 AM

The Maelstrom is the lightning gun that has a secondary fire of shooting chain lasher grenades, and it is the perfect anti-zerg weapon.  Those grenades and a packed hallway equals tons of dead zerg.  The Radiator is the gun that shoots pain field grenades, and that too has lots of wicked potential, since you can shoot it on the outside of a wall and the bubble will extend inside the wall and hurt the people on the other side.  On the other hand, it's a gargantuan grief magnet.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 12:17:10 PM

Get a couple flails and a couple laser pointers on people in inf suits and I think we could have a lot of fun.

Strazos

Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 01:59:34 PM

I'd be willing to shoot a Flail. I have the certs/points for it anyway.

Actually GETTING the Flail, on the other hand, is a different matter entirely.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 02:40:25 PM

I just want a chaingun.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 03:08:52 PM

Flails, like a lot of things in PS, are astoundingly deadly if organized and pretty useless if not.  Six guys in Flails can completely shut down a base, as long as they have a spotter to get them aiming in the right spots and some air cover to keep them from being bombed to hell.  Used well, Flails wreck the crap out of base defenses, turrets, mines, etc. before the invading force arrives.  Used badly, Flails kill their own team.  Some people do things like park a Flail on the side of a mountain facing a base or tower and just fire directly at the people running around.  It can be a very fast way to rack up lots of kills, but it also makes you an instant target for the people you just blew up, so take some friends or expect it to be a one-way trip.

Honestly though, I consider a swarm of Reavers or Liberators a better way to clean out a base.  A few synchronized bombing runs can get the same results without needing all of the messing around with laser pointers and waypoints.
Strazos

Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 03:20:40 AM

In another sort of event, a few of us are heavily considering swapping over to NC.

Getting curb-stomped consistently is not fun.
Having the worst heavy assault weapons sucks (Lasher). Having the worst Anti-Vehicle weapons sucks (Lancer). Having a very stupid zerg sucks. Having the weakest (armor/power) tank sucks. Also, while the Vanu MAXs are not neccessarily out-and-out inferior (the Starfire is just plain mean), the NC MAXs, when played well and with proper use of the shield, have a much higher rate of survival.

Also, No More Purple.

For those of you perhaps concerned with having to "start over," just consider for a second how the NC fares - they're competitive (at least) with the TR. In equal numbers, we'll probably beat the Vanu. And then, even when we're losing to either (or both) factions, the NC are still strong enough to put up a strong fight. What this means is that, even without the marginal XP bonus for being Vanu, we'll probably end up earning BEP even more quickly - That' what happens when you're actually able to kill people and cap bases.

Fear the Backstab!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 03:26:51 AM

Are people actually subbing or are you guys mostly still on Reserve status?
Strazos

Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 03:38:42 AM

I bought the "software", so I am still in my free month. A few others are as well. A few Others are long-time players.

Then we have a smattering of Reserves, usually with alts.

Fear the Backstab!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 03:52:43 AM

I doubt the NC zerg is any better than the Vanu one. On Markov when I played as NC the Vanu were slightly outnumbered as well but at least they tried to play the game the way it was intended by blowing up generators, attacking where the NC and TR weren't and stuff while the NC and TR were content to zerg each other ad nauseum for the BEP/CEP. Also the Jackhammer (aka the "N00bhammer") is almost totally useless outdoors so I wouldn't say the Lasher is the worst HA weapon. On the other hand the Gauss Rifle is pure love so the NC has that going for them.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 20, 2007, 03:54:44 AM

I do not see a need to switch sides, but if you guys really want to, do so quickly.  :-D

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Strazos

Reply #24 on: February 20, 2007, 04:00:24 AM

I dunno, but I've played alongside both zergs, and I was much more impressed with the NC's efforts. It seemed to me that the Vanu Zerg only ever won with pure force of numbers. And even then, at least against NC, it took them Way Too Long to do it. And they had to be gimps about it and drop the gen. This is when the NC were outnumbered by Vanu by something like 7 or 8 to 1.

And I agree with you on the Jackhammer. Personally, I don't even play as normal infantry normally - I drive/pilot vehicles and play in MAXs usually. At least from what I could observe tonight, our people were much more concerned with the Phoenix.

And from observation and personal experience, the Lasher is junk EXCEPT when employed in numbers (lets say minimum 3), and practically only when indoors. We know what a single user with a n00bhammer or IMBA FUCKING MCG is able to do. But a single Lasher? I usually laugh at them as I shoot them in the face.

Helm: Bhodi, myself, and a few others are already prepared to. Heck, my NC chick is already BR8.

Fear the Backstab!
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 04:14:28 AM

Helm: Bhodi, myself, and a few others are already prepared to. Heck, my NC chick is already BR8.
Ok, so lets just announce that we are switching to NC.  :-D

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Etro
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 05:45:27 AM

just a shame we arnt on werner else i'd have my br18 nc to play with, ohwell F13etro is my new nc character if anyone is on this side.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 06:19:21 AM

Heh, I'm utterly a self-serving jackass by applauding this move, but hey, I am what I am.

That said, I'm going to drop my current outfit today and start an NC f13 outfit. (Which I fully expect to end up as full of non-players as my current outfit is eventually, but I'll deal)

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 06:26:17 AM

I rolled a cannonfodder person as Vanu but the group is switching factions?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 09:55:58 AM

Heh, I'm utterly a self-serving jackass by applauding this move, but hey, I am what I am.

That said, I'm going to drop my current outfit today and start an NC f13 outfit. (Which I fully expect to end up as full of non-players as my current outfit is eventually, but I'll deal)

So long as it remains free, I'll play a few hours every day or two.  PS was always enough fun for that, I just could never justify the monthly charge for a FPS game.

(Whose idea of 'persistance' was simply "lets take all the stuff a normal FPS would just give you up front and eek it out over weeks/ months and call it Certifications!")

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 01:20:15 PM

I also bought the game.  I figure it's worth it for now.  I always have a second reserve account if I decide not to sub.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 20, 2007, 02:13:52 PM

(Whose idea of 'persistance' was simply "lets take all the stuff a normal FPS would just give you up front and eek it out over weeks/ months and call it Certifications!")
Or maybe having a server that's up with players 24/7? Because one of my peeves of fps is the damn server dance (especially if it's using battlefield's server browser).
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #32 on: February 20, 2007, 04:21:36 PM

YES! I love BF 2142. HATE the server dance.

I'd pay to have a persistent BF experience.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #33 on: February 20, 2007, 06:00:42 PM

We held our home continents from the VS and TR for a few hours and so now we've been given access to their toys as a reward.

Hit it kids =)

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 21, 2007, 07:23:03 AM

I'm sort of digging this game, though I'm flying blind and don't even know how to find anyone. :(

If I buy the expansion is there still no monthly fee or do they tack one on?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  PlanetSide  |  Topic: Evant in Progress - 4pm Central  
Jump to: