Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 03:21:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: War 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 233 Go Down Print
Author Topic: War  (Read 1996615 times)
setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6965 on: March 08, 2010, 03:15:00 PM

The start of this also included new -A- leadership looking for an easy win campaign.

Oh boy. Yeah, it did -- the attack on Querious. Unless you mean the CVA campaign which we stopped three times now to give CVA and friends the option to just sign a simple non-pos warfare agreement and be done with it. That's not a campaign, it's just a grind.

EVE - Yalson [BDCI] [-A-]
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6966 on: March 08, 2010, 03:29:45 PM

No ones forcing you to continue, ya know. Its not realistic to say to them "Hey we want a situation where we can empty our space and go attack someone without consequence. Can ya deal?" Their effect on your big strategic situation of needing ultimate blueness is not their problem.

{edit} That came out harsher than i meant it. Just really wanted to say what might seem like a fair deal from your side may not seem lke one to them fr a whole host of factors.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:15:19 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6967 on: March 08, 2010, 06:02:19 PM

Agreed, actually. Just at this point neither side wants to back down. Not sure a 'free for all' space next doors is any safer than having the Provi-block still around, either.

But then, this is probably just a faint echo of what you had to go through when purging Delve with the clock ticking.

EVE - Yalson [BDCI] [-A-]
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #6968 on: March 08, 2010, 09:09:51 PM

Pretty sure I made my feelings clear on that old post you read Setar =)

Now we just see what happens I guess.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #6969 on: March 09, 2010, 02:37:57 PM

Agreed, actually. Just at this point neither side wants to back down. Not sure a 'free for all' space next doors is any safer than having the Provi-block still around, either.
What, you don't buy into Ushra'Khan's plan to keep Provi as NRDS without any real ability to enforce it and after resetting everyone else except you guys?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #6970 on: March 09, 2010, 04:19:07 PM

Doesn't seem like a whole lot is going on in Eve right now.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6971 on: March 09, 2010, 09:00:05 PM

Seems to be unless something goes tremendously wrong, like the server bugging out or someone not remembering their bills, there isn't much threat of losing space nor is there much incentive to grab more once you have a chunk for yourself.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #6972 on: March 10, 2010, 12:13:04 AM

It's not really any wonder. I was in a fleet on saturday, and we literally camped a fleet into an end-system for probably 3-4 hours before we finally did jump through. Why? Because we were roughly 200 on each side, and if either side jumped in, chances are that side would get raped. Guess what? Parts of the fleet did never load grid until long after we'd finished fighting.

Dominion does not invite fighting of that (and larger) scale, which is what's required to take over systems these days, which means that you'll wait and bide your time until CCP unfucks their software once you have a chunk for yourself.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #6973 on: March 16, 2010, 06:04:40 AM

Man, EVE really has just utterly died down politically. No updates here for 6 days, and the only thing I can glean from anywhere else semi-reliable is, 1) arguing about whether suicide ganking should be allowed, 2) providence still burning (slightly), and 3) outposts being setup.

Dominion sure did put the life back into 0.0. why so serious?

Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #6974 on: March 16, 2010, 06:09:22 AM

Working as intended.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #6975 on: March 16, 2010, 06:14:03 AM

Ok,  Here is a goon update.

We have been reinforcing a few towers here and here around Cloud Ring.  No one wants to get involved with large fleet fights because of the retarded lag.  There doesn't seem to be any desire on our part to take any more systems due to the SOV costs.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #6976 on: March 16, 2010, 09:52:18 PM

So where did the f13 people playing end up? As I understand it a number of you were in one corporation before the goon regions implosion.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:54:02 PM by Kageru »

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #6977 on: March 17, 2010, 04:52:58 AM

They are in a corp called Ultrapolite Socialites, now part of Mostly Harmless alliance.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #6978 on: March 18, 2010, 03:49:41 PM

I'm just going to mention quickly why EVE is such a quiet shithole lately.

I was just joining in on a CTA today, so I decided to log in 30 minutes prior to the actual CTA formup. Turns out the system I was logging into was having too much activity, so even just logging into a station made me end up with a black screen. I had to relog to get in.

Fuck CCP's code in the squeaky ear.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #6979 on: March 19, 2010, 01:39:12 AM

It's been broken a long time. They're usually much faster than this fixing whatever the latest patch breaks.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #6980 on: March 19, 2010, 01:59:25 AM

It's been broken a long time, but never so bad as it is this time. I'm left wondering what it is that makes it so broken. One theory I've had was that it was something to do with the calculations it had to do whenever you jumped into a system, to make sure you didn't collide with anyone, but that theory kind of goes out the window when I get it even when logging in to a station. That means it's a serious problem.

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #6981 on: March 19, 2010, 05:12:06 AM

There was a brief shining moment when the lag problem was "solved" and big battles were possible.  I recently heard the theory that the more finely tuned your optimizations are, the more they break horrifically if you change the surrounding code. If I had to guess, this would seem to be the case here.

And even if they fix the lag problem, they haven't fixed the problem of having removed most reasons for owning space besides epeen.

Witty banter not included.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6982 on: March 19, 2010, 06:29:27 AM

You know, I suspect they went back to old code. One of the things we found on test after Dominion was that drones decloak you again. That was one of the things removed in Apocrypha. Which means the server has once again to run collision calculations on every drone and probably object in space again. That was why IT and Co had everyone launch drones in Y-2 to lag the system just prior to our jumpin.

Hic sunt dracones.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #6983 on: March 19, 2010, 06:36:38 AM

I'm not sure why that would cause me to blackscreen when I log in to a station in h-w for the first time while there apparently were a largeish fleet just moving through the system. I've no idea what the actual numbers were, but when I relogged on a few minutes later, everything went quick as hell, and they had 132 people in local.

Logging on in station should mean I should just get a slot on the node, without any collision calculations whatsoever. I also doubt the fleet had drones out, but I had no other eyes in system so I literally have no idea what actually went on.

Why would they go back to old code, though?

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6984 on: March 19, 2010, 07:12:44 AM

They have done it before. They used to be famous for every big expansion introducing bugs that were squashed in their patch process from the last expansion

Hic sunt dracones.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #6985 on: March 19, 2010, 07:28:17 AM

Maybe they do a fork of the codebase when they start each expansion, and spend a full year on it, so we might see the return to apocrypha-level of performance in tyrannis. Here's hoping.

Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #6986 on: March 24, 2010, 06:31:48 AM

Looks like the NC is fighting the Drone Region residents and some of their ruskie, ukrainian, eastern european allies etc.

Battles in Pure Blind against Red Overlord (which DOOM have joined), in Venal against White Noise, Circle Of Two, Legion of XX whatever, Phalanx Alliance etc (Rebellion helping the NC). And in Geminate and Drone Regions against Solar Fleet/Solar Wing, Legion of xxwhatever, Red Alliance and various folk like Intrepid Crossing, Flame Bridge and other nobodies  awesome, for real Plus throw Pandemic Legion into the mix and the occasional Triumvirate person.

Solar Fleet lost two supercarriers recently to an NC fleet in Geminate.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:34:30 AM by Meester »
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #6987 on: March 24, 2010, 06:36:08 AM

Oh and AAA folk in caldari low sec.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6988 on: March 24, 2010, 12:04:43 PM

There are lots of rumors and speculation about IT and the rest of the south campaigning against the NC soon as well, though that's all it is right now.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6989 on: March 25, 2010, 10:12:36 AM

I can't for the life of me see why NC or SC would want the hassle of attacking the other's sov right now.

Expect we'll just see more convoluted proxy wars in the east, and pointless roams and gate camps in the west.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #6990 on: March 27, 2010, 06:08:08 AM

EVE Online is the bestest game.  awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6991 on: March 27, 2010, 08:05:04 AM

LODRA is having inner turmoils.  Read about them here: http://www.kugutsumen.com/showthread.php?5961-Elitist-ops-discussion-27th-march-2010

tl;dr: Darius JOHNSON and the guys in splinter corp ElitistOps had an argument, and now several of the pubbie corps (IGNE, ARSED, MERCHI and OEG) are starting a new alliance.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6992 on: March 27, 2010, 10:42:02 PM

Is fleet attendance really that low? I remember when you had three times as many Osprey's repairing PoS shields or whatever.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #6993 on: March 28, 2010, 03:26:19 AM

Actually Goonwaffe participation has been going up recently. The other corps....not so much.
Anyway, MERCHI apparently woke up, went "Wait, what the fuck were we thinking?" and decided to stay.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 03:46:43 AM by Simond »

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #6994 on: March 28, 2010, 05:20:56 AM

Happy 200th Page :toot:

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6995 on: March 28, 2010, 08:59:49 AM

Has Dominion ruined the wars in 0.0 space?   

This is coming from a carebear who only has occasonal contact with people outside of empire space, but that is the impression I am getting.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #6996 on: March 28, 2010, 09:51:49 AM

I think it's more the bugs in Dominion that make it hard to have big fleet battles than Dominion itself.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #6997 on: March 28, 2010, 10:39:43 AM

Has Dominion ruined the wars in 0.0 space?   

This is coming from a carebear who only has occasonal contact with people outside of empire space, but that is the impression I am getting.

There are two things really that have discouraged the kind of large wars that CCP wanted Dominions to facilitate.

Firstly the bugs, in particular the horrendous lag for systems with high local counts which have made it hard/impossible to take systems.

Secondly the mechanics very strongly favour the defender. It's very hard to take a system from an enemy who hasn't already been beaten into the dirt and it's hard to bring the enemy to that point while all of his infrastructure is still intact. I can believe that CCP deliberately left in a strong defenders bias in order to prevent utter anarchy on go live with the intention of ratcheting it back in the future but so far there are few good reasons to wage strategic warfare and a bunch of reasons not to.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #6998 on: March 28, 2010, 12:47:04 PM

Is fleet attendance really that low? I remember when you had three times as many Osprey's repairing PoS shields or whatever.

We had 130 in fleet today.

Also,  Molle is invading NC starting Thursday.

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #6999 on: March 28, 2010, 01:13:09 PM

Uhh, actually the system heavily favors attacking, not defending.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 233 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: War  
Jump to: