Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 02:57:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: War 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 233 Go Down Print
Author Topic: War  (Read 1996589 times)
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #6475 on: January 03, 2010, 05:27:54 AM

I apparently got podded whilst offline. I lost my ship about 3am Eve time, got the insurance mail and the money. My modules disappeared from the HUD (never did load a ship model for either my Megathron or my pod) and I hung around for a bit to see what was going on. Tried warping to things in my POD a few times to see if anything happened (it didn't) so I crtl-q'd about 20 minutes after the insurance notification. Gave it 20-30 minutes then tried logging in again. The character screen said I was in Y-2 in a pod so I didn't bother logging in fully figuring I'd fly my pod back to NOL after DT. Just logged back in now and I'm in a fresh clone in NOL. The mail from my clone activation is timed 04:12 which was about half an hour after I went to bed.

I'm going to petition that, between my clone and my implants that cost me about 50m.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6476 on: January 03, 2010, 05:59:54 AM

Leaving aside the toss-of-a-coin which is CCP's reimbursements policy, the best thing for the anti-IT coalition at the moment would be for IT to try and take Delve on the bounce.  The smartest thing for them to do at the moment would be to push on and try and take a remaining SoT station system conventionally.  Even the remaining Bulgarian SoT are broken, PL were already fragile, and Goons detest incompetents who squander our efforts in winning them
ir fights.

The real idiocy here is whoever said to Bulletproof Monks "we're booting you out of SoT and your station PS please give Goonfleet that station.  In that order."

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #6477 on: January 03, 2010, 06:53:30 AM

So it looks like the new SOV mechanics result in Time Zone wars that the defender will always win?

Just quoting myself for posterity.  I should elaborate:

Defender = "whoever is there first, which will always be Euros due to their Time Zone being before the US timezone"

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #6478 on: January 03, 2010, 07:17:58 AM

CCP market the game highlighting these huge combats, why should they be excused from accountability?  Obviously we should accept losses.  That is not a valid claim or the real issue.  Who buys a product with the expectations it will under perform?  One of the primary reasons I detest mass combats is exactly this, who knows what side (if any) will get to do anything at all.  I realize we are all wasting our lives playing games, but who plays Eve to not be capable of logging in or having a functioning interface?
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #6479 on: January 03, 2010, 07:22:40 AM

CCP market the game highlighting these huge combats, why should they be excused from accountability?  Obviously we should accept losses.  That is not a valid claim or the real issue.  Who buys a product with the expectations it will under perform?  One of the primary reasons I detest mass combats is exactly this, who knows what side (if any) will get to do anything at all.  I realize we are all wasting our lives playing games, but who plays Eve to not be capable of logging in or having a functioning interface?

I wasn't around back then, but I'm pretty sure EVE has, for a majority of the time, been incapable of handling 600+ sized fleet fights.  The only thing that will get their attention is mass subscription cancellations.  While CCP is laughing all the way to the bank, it's up to the FCs of large fleets to understand how to move their fleets most effectively from system to system.

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #6480 on: January 03, 2010, 07:31:44 AM

Yeah, there is a place where personal responsibility begins.  Having FC's who understand 'how lag works' is only part of the solution.  What level of performance is considered acceptable?  10 minutes delay?  20?  How long should it take to log in?  Would a 200 x 200 x 200 battle even function?  300?  What is reasonable? 
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #6481 on: January 03, 2010, 07:35:22 AM

Yeah, there is a place where personal responsibility begins.  Having FC's who understand 'how lag works' is only part of the solution.  What level of performance is considered acceptable?  10 minutes delay?  20?  How long should it take to log in?  Would a 200 x 200 x 200 battle even function?  300?  What is reasonable? 

Reasonable = "Whatever your suckers customers will continue to pay for.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6482 on: January 03, 2010, 07:53:57 AM

A couple of months agpo this fight would have worked, and would have been awesome.  CCP asked for help finding the problem that is causing horrendous lag spikes a couple of weeks agp: it's a known problem.  I suspect that, two months from now, a fight like this will work again.  The very scale of the cock-up in terms of lost titans is why I see them being reimbursed.

I was saved from this, since I bought a new PC a few days ago an, after reading Himo's post here, by the time I installed evemap and teamspeak 3 (finding out it wouldn't work) I'd missed the jump bridges and jabber was making it clear that bringing my carrier was A Bad Idea.  Disappointed, I left for the night, though not before saying in an F13 channel that Y2 was going to eat cap fleets.

As an aside, I replaced my 17", 1600 dollar Vostro from last year with an 11.6" Acer 1810TZ netbook at only a little over a third of the price, with four times the battery power and the little bugger runs two Eve clients brilliantly.  I would hugely recommend it.

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #6483 on: January 03, 2010, 08:26:18 AM

Your netbook runs 2 eve clients? Jesus I just dropped $1k on a badass gaming asus to play Eve because my T400 ran it like ass.

Truly though, the lesson here is that the only way to win is not to play the game - I spent last night watching Up with the girlfriend, which was probably almost as depressing as that fight would've been.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #6484 on: January 03, 2010, 08:55:25 AM

Here's the video from this epic space battle (should anybody wonder what the trashing looked like while they were loading grid).
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6485 on: January 03, 2010, 04:05:25 PM

Hey, look at all those reimbursed or otherwise not-dead-after-all subcaps, caps and titans.

Course, we still lost Y2- :(

Twitter - Endieposts

setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6486 on: January 03, 2010, 04:48:17 PM

My understanding is that they are replacing support ships and caps that died after their 15 minute logout-timer only; and that no titan has been replaced yet?

EVE - Yalson [BDCI] [-A-]
Terracotta Army

Reply #6487 on: January 03, 2010, 10:53:10 PM

I have absolutely no faith in CCP's reimbursment policy after I recently autopiloted into low sec with no warning prompt (note: I have _never_ disabled the low sec prompt on that character) in retrospect my mistake was not setting the autopilot for the last high sec system  ACK!

It all appears to come down to what is shown in the server-side logs
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6488 on: January 03, 2010, 11:21:49 PM

A couple of months agpo this fight would have worked, and would have been awesome.  CCP asked for help finding the problem that is causing horrendous lag spikes a couple of weeks agp: it's a known problem.  I suspect that, two months from now, a fight like this will work again.  The very scale of the cock-up in terms of lost titans is why I see them being reimbursed.

I have to admit, I agree with this. Whatever CCPs faults, they have shown themselves to be pretty committed to rooting out lag and screw ups like this, and up to Dominion they have done a reasonably good job. The last year or so of reasonably smooth fights has been pretty damn fun, win or lose, and I think CCP are pretty committed to clearing that stuff up.

(You see, I'm reasonably positive when I'm calm  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? )

Hic sunt dracones.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #6489 on: January 04, 2010, 12:47:13 AM

Did they get enough people for their tests with pre-dominion and dominion code fleet battles on the test servers? I saw a requests for participants a bit back but didn't hear anything about it since.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #6490 on: January 04, 2010, 01:03:22 AM

They haven't run those yet, the dates scheduled for this is the 5th (0.0) and 7th (lowsec). I definitely plan to be there, I just hope to god I get my PSU replaced, and that the gtx isn't hosed as a result. Going from 2 monitors with plenty of horsepower to drive them to 1 with next to none is pretty awesome. Ohhhhh, I see.

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1238523 for reference.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6491 on: January 04, 2010, 07:45:29 AM

Thanks for that. I'll defo try and be there tomorrow

By the way, in a are bit of comedy from the other night, guess who is the only pilot in eve crap enough to lose a covert ops frigate to fleet so desynced it can't even see to shoot?

Thats right, our good friend Mollie

https://killboard.goonfleet.com/km/439801

why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Viper ShizzIe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6492 on: January 05, 2010, 12:52:35 AM

And hey, with any luck that'll speed up Viper Shizzle and his corp of mongoloids inevitable return to Triumverate Mk. whatthefuckever and then we can invite the good parts of PL into Querious or something.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

bawwwwwwwwwwwwww

On a side note, if OSHIT ever decides to leave PL I have some fucking hilarious logs to dump.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #6493 on: January 05, 2010, 02:41:57 AM

PL titan massacre now in handy strip form:

Any confirmed supercap reimbursements yet or is it still under investigation/denied?
Viper ShizzIe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6494 on: January 05, 2010, 01:56:52 PM

Some dreads have been reimbursed, titan petitions got to the lead GMs yesterday.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6495 on: January 05, 2010, 02:27:23 PM

Listen up, Shizzle: with only 6 posts, all in eve-related threads, don't think you can just swan into our corp when you run out of titans.

Also, we heard a bloke was leaving last week so we offlined a POS and ganked his ratting drake.  Oh yeah.

Twitter - Endieposts

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #6496 on: January 06, 2010, 07:44:39 AM

Listen up, Shizzle: with only 6 posts, all in eve-related threads, don't think you can just swan into our corp when you run out of titans.

Also, we heard a bloke was leaving last week so we offlined a POS and ganked his ratting drake.  Oh yeah.

ACK!

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Witty banter not included.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #6497 on: January 07, 2010, 07:35:44 AM

Quick Providence update.  More than a week ago Providence forces decided to destroy the two SF staging towers in Kamela.  This was done on the 30th.  Yesterday Jade decided to WALL OF TEXT us all and remind us that losing is winning, isk war, rescue ops, choke on the wrecks of their ships etc.  Apparently Revan, who is Jade's once and future love or some such, gave Jade 38,000 slaves.  Now, Jade is either lying about the slaves being at one of the towers or is a psychopath who deliberately put the slaves in danger just to 'rescue' them for a PR stunt.  Either is rather irrelevant since we came to destroy the towers (which we did).

Last night in sv5 (catch) Providence and Goon forces ran across each other and started fighting.  Next door in HED it seems Goons had tackled some Titans or whatever.  As we all know, Goons love shooting AAA and love shooting caps.  It was decided that we should stop shooting each other for a moment and go shoot cap ships!  Only one carrier was still tackled at the start but AAA warped in more.  In the end 10 carriers and some support died to Providence/Goons+Zaf for minimal losses.  There is a CAOD thread about it that started with very little content.  That did not stop Butterdog from white knighting in.  A Paxton person gave a quick overview of the fight.

No doubt we are back to shooting each other at the time of this writing.  
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:42:48 AM by Pezzle »
Predator Irl
Terracotta Army

Reply #6498 on: January 07, 2010, 09:16:28 AM

Quick Providence update.  More than a week ago Providence forces decided to destroy the two SF staging towers in Kamela.  This was done on the 30th.  Yesterday Jade decided to WALL OF TEXT us all and remind us that losing is winning, isk war, rescue ops, choke on the wrecks of their ships etc.  Apparently Revan, who is Jade's once and future love or some such, gave Jade 38,000 slaves.  Now, Jade is either lying about the slaves being at one of the towers or is a psychopath who deliberately put the slaves in danger just to 'rescue' them for a PR stunt.  Either is rather irrelevant since we came to destroy the towers (which we did).

Last night in sv5 (catch) Providence and Goon forces ran across each other and started fighting.  Next door in HED it seems Goons had tackled some Titans or whatever.  As we all know, Goons love shooting AAA and love shooting caps.  It was decided that we should stop shooting each other for a moment and go shoot cap ships!  Only one carrier was still tackled at the start but AAA warped in more.  In the end 10 carriers and some support died to Providence/Goons+Zaf for minimal losses.  There is a CAOD thread about it that started with very little content.  That did not stop Butterdog from white knighting in.  A Paxton person gave a quick overview of the fight.

No doubt we are back to shooting each other at the time of this writing.  

Goons and CVA should meet in GE (catch) and do this. I would quite enjoy it  why so serious?

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one!
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6499 on: January 08, 2010, 08:17:28 AM

At the moment a 300+ man fleet consisting of AAA, Ushra'Khan, Systematic Chaos and their allies is invading 49-U.  Again.   Is this in retaliation for Libertas Fidelitas' attempt at taking sov in SV5 yesterday, or the minor carrier massacre in HED?  I am anxiously awaiting the new round of CAOD posts that will come of this from both sides.
setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6500 on: January 08, 2010, 09:13:35 AM

No, that is a coincidence. Think we were semi-surprised by the Libertas SOV attempt (in four systems, btw, multiple times).

Edit: Or to quote Xeliya from IT:

Cats out of the hat now, multiple PL stations are being seiged and most remaining highends have been reinforced with good timers.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 10:01:12 AM by setar »

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #6501 on: January 08, 2010, 12:34:07 PM

Looks like, since IT has managed to hold up their end in Fountain, AAA is giving them a diversionary attack in Querious that will keep the goons from giving their full attention to that front while the sov timers tick up there.  It's not a feint, because a threat to cut through 49-U is an existential threat to Period Basis occupants.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6502 on: January 08, 2010, 12:43:16 PM

Looks like the bad guys consistent and consistently denied massive numbers advantage might finally pull things their way.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

[Edit] Oh and tell him its "Cat out of the bag", not "cat out of the hat". Shades of Biff Tannen there.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:44:28 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6503 on: January 08, 2010, 01:36:40 PM

Xeliya's beyond help. That's the least smack-y post I've seen from him in ages. And yes, as Mahrin said, this should give IT the window they needed. The NC is also seeing renewed attacks and just lost a titan for good measure.

Quite interested to see what CVA does next; the timing of sov attacks just as we were about to launch an attack on 49-U looks more than just mere coincidence to me.

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #6504 on: January 08, 2010, 02:06:41 PM

A large 0.0 alliance has two strategic choices in Eve: 1) Do the obvious & 2) Do nothing.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #6505 on: January 08, 2010, 02:20:37 PM

LFA making a sov challenge to brunt an attack on 49U?  That is a mighty fine tinfoil pimpsuit your are sporting.  Events could be on their own timeline or motivated by a perceived opportunity.  As for what CVA is doing?  Not paying attention affords me the luxury of coming here and honestly saying I have no idea!
setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6506 on: January 08, 2010, 02:58:02 PM

LFA making a sov challenge to brunt an attack on 49U?  That is a mighty fine tinfoil pimpsuit your are sporting.  Events could be on their own timeline or motivated by a perceived opportunity.  As for what CVA is doing?  Not paying attention affords me the luxury of coming here and honestly saying I have no idea!

Plenty of tinfoil, yes :) But the temp blue carrier incident plus Sov attack exactly one day before the scheduled attack on 49-U at least provides some weak foundation for it. Really!

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6507 on: January 08, 2010, 03:16:26 PM

Outnumbered and surrounded, you surely won't begrudge us some imaginary allies, will you?

Twitter - Endieposts

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #6508 on: January 08, 2010, 05:37:43 PM

Shooting Caps is more fun than shooting Drakes?  I am not sure what sort of answer is expected.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 05:40:30 PM by Pezzle »
setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6509 on: January 09, 2010, 01:26:15 PM

The imaginary allies just anchored another TCU in F9E. Still trying to figure out if they really got 500 folks into fleet which would be damn impressive, just not sure I'm being trolled.

.. aaaand HED station under siege, about 500 hostiles confirmed. I hope GS paid well ;-)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:47:10 PM by setar »

Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 233 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: War  
Jump to: