Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:56:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: War 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 233 Go Down Print
Author Topic: War  (Read 1922855 times)
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #770 on: June 27, 2007, 12:01:19 PM

If I thought the BoB guys were purposely playing the Evil Empire role I'd have a lot more respect for them. Instead they're just the bad guys because they don't know how not to come across as total assholes.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #771 on: June 27, 2007, 12:01:27 PM

[edited out because of what my mother always tells me about the consequences of arguing with fools]

Our PUG killed a titan!  Well, it was probably the Bob spies in our ranks.  Send more spies plz, tia.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 12:48:20 PM by Endie »

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #772 on: June 27, 2007, 12:52:00 PM

[edited out because of what my mother always tells me about the consequences of arguing with fools]

Our PUG killed a titan!  Well, it was probably the Bob spies in our ranks.  Send more spies plz, tia.

Get Evil Thug out on the field. Lets see how long he lasts under the new rules.
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #773 on: June 27, 2007, 01:01:37 PM

You should start that with "Red Rover, Red Rover... let Evil Thug come over."

Those guys can hardly every resist such a taunt.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #774 on: June 27, 2007, 01:24:04 PM

There are few stories better than the Free Rebellion Asshole Jocks taking on the Evil Empire Asshole Rich Kids wink.

Over and out.
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #775 on: June 27, 2007, 01:30:17 PM

All joking aside... anyone who has attempted to lead a multi-national group of people that consists of 100+ members to accomplish a certain goal and actually Succeeds even in part gains some respect from me.

How many other MMOs have groups the size that you see in EVE?  I cannot think of any.  The level of teamwork it takes to tackle some of the things these people do is simply amazing.  These are not 13yr old punks.  They may be 30 yr. old punks, but they also have some incredible organizational skills.  Imagine this... they are basically doing the HARDEST kind of people management.

They are not managing employees (people you pay).  They are not managing volunteers (people who work for free).  They are managing Customees?  Man what do you even call a person who pays someone else and then chooses to work for you?  My job deals with motivating volunteers to achieve shared goals.  That has its own unique challenges.  But, motivating people who are paying for an Entertainment to band together to reach "shared" (we have to be honest and say the people who truly make these goals are a small number) goals is impressive to me.

Whether or not either side is "good" or "bad", they have truly created an EPIC feel to this game... one that no game since Shadowbane has managed, and to a scale that SB could never reach with their server splits, game design, and performance issues.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #776 on: June 27, 2007, 01:41:48 PM

Yeah, you're probably right.
Sorry folks.  embarassed

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #777 on: June 27, 2007, 01:57:31 PM

The PvP in this thread delivers.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #778 on: June 27, 2007, 02:05:19 PM

It's not as good as the Trammel/pre-Trammel PvP.
neep
Terracotta Army

Reply #779 on: June 27, 2007, 03:41:57 PM

These are not 13yr old punks. They may be 30 yr. old punks
so very true  :mrgreen:

Since revII a 100+ fleet jump in will insta-desync the 100+ fleet on grid. Its happening. Its 100% reproducible. Its game breaking.

While that is a big enough bug on its own, the desyncing going on when shrike got bubbled was even more worrisome. It was a perfect legit kill, no arguing about that. But the second shrike got decloaked he became the centre of the eve universe for a whole lot of people. Our irc alarms went up and I suppose the other side rallied just the same. It resulted in massive desyncs over the entire grid as everybody scrambled to get to 46dp-o. The desyncs were happing in systems 15 hops away. People saw stations whooshing by as they waited to get to the gate or cyno. Rats disappeared instead of dying and I have unreliable reports of people who claim there was no lag at all in Jita for at least half an hour.

There was no insane fleet battle going on at that time, it was just people jumping in fleets into the same system and the entire south went tits up.

Something is seriously going bunkers up in CCP database land and untill they fix it, every stationary fleet will be a sitting duck once the opposing fleet jumps into the system.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #780 on: June 27, 2007, 03:53:25 PM

...Rats disappeared instead of dying and I have unreliable reports of people who claim there was no lag at all in Jita for at least half an hour.

Nice setup, excellent timing, superb delivery.  Rated 5.

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #781 on: June 27, 2007, 05:42:16 PM

Pshhh, the BoB vs Goonswarm war is one of the reasons I am back in EVE... even though I will likely never be a part of it.  It makes for great lunch-time reading, and is the closest thing to Star Wars 4 I have read in a long time.  There are few stories better than the Free Rebellion taking on the Evil Empire :).
Unfortunatly the dialog between the two sides in this thread is of the prequel acting quality, and not the first 3 :p.

It would be awesome if they could both destroy each other some how.  Maybe they will have one mighty battle where they bring almost everybody in the game to fight, and the servers will just explode in a fiery blaze.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #782 on: June 27, 2007, 05:54:48 PM

The NGE thread PvP was pretty decent, too.  Good times.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #783 on: June 28, 2007, 02:27:07 AM

...and the servers will just explode in a fiery blaze.
That tends to happen anyway on a regular basis, no matter what. smiley

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #784 on: June 28, 2007, 05:40:13 AM

Miss you too honey :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #785 on: June 28, 2007, 11:11:31 AM

The problem is that you can stop someone in these games but they'll never die unless they decide to stop playing the game.  Kinda like if you killed German forces in WWII and they just spawned back at base -- we'd still be in WWII right now if that happened unless we took out the spawn tubes and shunted them off into space.  BUT THEY'D STILL BE OUT THERE, WAITING.

But you know what I mean.  They can't take each other out, just shift where they hang out.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #786 on: June 28, 2007, 11:19:13 AM

And this is probably one of the reasons why EVE is still going and growing.  If you have too much of a "Play to Crush" mentality, then you find much of your playerbase leaving the game on a regular basis.  EVE allows people time to lick their wounds and come back, which is a good thing if you want them to keep paying you.
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #787 on: June 28, 2007, 02:16:50 PM

So, back to flam^H^H^H war reporting?
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #788 on: June 28, 2007, 03:24:41 PM

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #789 on: June 28, 2007, 04:06:17 PM

It was already ironic when we'd blown up a piloted titan, but I just had to repeat this:

I will be kind and list some reasons for your losses since you cant figure it out on your own.

- Poor Leadership
- Your alliances are full of BoB spies. (We always know where you are, how many, and when you plan to make your move. This is especially true for Goonswarm.)
- Working for the isk farmers. (Red Alliance's goals are much different than your own.)
- Goonswarm is infested with low quality players. (It's like a giant PUG.)

Maybe you want to change your mind and agree that there is crippling lag involved at the moment, which tends to punish one side but not the other?  Or did Goonfleet just wipe out almost a hundred Bob because of a skill gap and our superior FCing and tactics?

Twitter - Endieposts

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #790 on: June 28, 2007, 05:19:53 PM

I'm not sure what I'm seeing in the screenshot, but...

Gold.  Woot!

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #791 on: June 28, 2007, 06:31:33 PM

It was already ironic when we'd blown up a piloted titan, but I just had to repeat this:

I will be kind and list some reasons for your losses since you cant figure it out on your own.

- Poor Leadership
- Your alliances are full of BoB spies. (We always know where you are, how many, and when you plan to make your move. This is especially true for Goonswarm.)
- Working for the isk farmers. (Red Alliance's goals are much different than your own.)
- Goonswarm is infested with low quality players. (It's like a giant PUG.)

Maybe you want to change your mind and agree that there is crippling lag involved at the moment, which tends to punish one side but not the other?  Or did Goonfleet just wipe out almost a hundred Bob because of a skill gap and our superior FCing and tactics?

I never said there was no crippling lag. I just don't believe the lag is being caused intentionally by one side. My statement was not limited to just that one battle. I wasn't there, and I have no clue what happened. I was just going by previous experiences since the question was: "HOW COULD WE LOSE WITH MORE SHIPS?"

Yes the lag was awful. I think 1/2 of our fleet was destroyed before we even loaded the grid. I managed to warp out with only 10% of my armor left.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #792 on: June 29, 2007, 02:58:00 AM

Gold.  Woot!

As far as I understand - it was while I was at work - it went like this:

Bob try to knock a bunch of our JV PoS's into reinforced with dreads.  They take them down below 50%, then try to keep them there for a few hours so we can't adjust stront timings.  Net result would be the PoS's coming out of reinforced in weekend Bob prime.  However, more and more RA and AAA were beginning to circle just outside the radius of their campfire, with wicked teeth and long claws, longing for a chance to take down the Bob capitals, so Bob had to fall back to using battleships jumpbridged-in by Chowdown's titan.  Given that the hardeners were still up on the PoS's (though not the guns) this was going to take forever.

GS and our French allies TCF went to 9-9, where we had taken sovereignty from Bob (for a while) in a rather more successful version of what they were trying to do to us.  We camped and bubbled the gate Bob would need to come back through (they knew fine well that using Chowdown to jumpbridge out of JV would probably end up with a second titan loss in a week whie he was immobilised without a PoS to hang out at).

Then our forces in 9-9 started shooting the station, in order to take it back (temporarily at least).  Bob got riled and jumped into our camp, presumably hoping for a successful roll of the desynch dice.  Unluckily for them, they suffered worse than we did this time, and the results were pretty one-sided in the main.  Presumably, our Bob-spy-infested forces threw themselves into the attack in an attempt to prove their bona fides, and killed lots of their compatriots on the other Bob side, while all the goons in their PUG flew in circles spamming local with "fofofo" and asking "how I shot web at station?  Giev missel or bump!"

I'm not 100% sure on what came next, but I gather we used some carriers to rep stuff, Bob thought "those will do" and came after them, only to get comprehensively fighter-bombed.  That bit wasn't, from what i understand, particularly laggy for anyone.

Vive nos copains francais et russes!

Twitter - Endieposts

LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #793 on: June 29, 2007, 07:51:22 AM

Gold.  Woot!

As far as I understand - it was while I was at work - it went like this:

Bob try to knock a bunch of our JV PoS's into reinforced with dreads.  They take them down below 50%, then try to keep them there for a few hours so we can't adjust stront timings.  Net result would be the PoS's coming out of reinforced in weekend Bob prime.  However, more and more RA and AAA were beginning to circle just outside the radius of their campfire, with wicked teeth and long claws, longing for a chance to take down the Bob capitals, so Bob had to fall back to using battleships jumpbridged-in by Chowdown's titan.  Given that the hardeners were still up on the PoS's (though not the guns) this was going to take forever.

GS and our French allies TCF went to 9-9, where we had taken sovereignty from Bob (for a while) in a rather more successful version of what they were trying to do to us.  We camped and bubbled the gate Bob would need to come back through (they knew fine well that using Chowdown to jumpbridge out of JV would probably end up with a second titan loss in a week whie he was immobilised without a PoS to hang out at).

Then our forces in 9-9 started shooting the station, in order to take it back (temporarily at least).  Bob got riled and jumped into our camp, presumably hoping for a successful roll of the desynch dice.  Unluckily for them, they suffered worse than we did this time, and the results were pretty one-sided in the main.  Presumably, our Bob-spy-infested forces threw themselves into the attack in an attempt to prove their bona fides, and killed lots of their compatriots on the other Bob side, while all the goons in their PUG flew in circles spamming local with "fofofo" and asking "how I shot web at station?  Giev missel or bump!"

I'm not 100% sure on what came next, but I gather we used some carriers to rep stuff, Bob thought "those will do" and came after them, only to get comprehensively fighter-bombed.  That bit wasn't, from what i understand, particularly laggy for anyone.

Vive nos copains francais et russes!

Sounds about right except "fofofo" and "how do i shot web" are not Somethingawful memes. 
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #794 on: June 29, 2007, 08:11:48 AM

headache
We're talking about a Goonswarm - a subset of SA goons - not the SA forums as a whole.

Pop quiz: Where was Moot posting before he started 4chan?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 08:16:39 AM by Simond »

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: June 29, 2007, 08:41:39 AM

Sounds about right except "fofofo" and "how do i shot web" are not Somethingawful memes. 

In the holy name of Tiger Fai, you need better spies!

Twitter - Endieposts

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #796 on: June 29, 2007, 08:43:25 AM

Careful; he's in ur base, killing ur dudes.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #797 on: June 29, 2007, 09:31:29 AM

Careful; he's in ur base, killing ur dudes.

And when I say "base", I mean "ass".  And when I say "killing your dudes", I etc....

Twitter - Endieposts

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #798 on: July 01, 2007, 06:54:04 PM

I'm a bit confused... Are you saying you want to engage in sodomy with Ironwood?

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #799 on: July 01, 2007, 07:27:42 PM

I'm a bit confused... Are you saying you want to engage in sodomy with Ironwood?

Clearly. fofofo

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #800 on: July 02, 2007, 01:08:40 AM

He's only human.  I am stunningly attractive.

That said, I fear he's simply reinforcing my point with yet another SA Meme.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #801 on: July 02, 2007, 02:07:00 AM

It is, indeed, another SA meme.  The formula usually involves hilarious homosexual references or even more hilarious mother jokes:

"Dude, your sig is shitty.  And when i say "sig", I mean "mother". And when I say.. " and so on.

On SA, it's sufficiently recognisable as a tired-SA-meme that using it without really hilarious results may land you a 24-hour posting ban.

Plus, look at his avatar: he looks the spitting image of the dude out of Superman.  What's not to like?

Twitter - Endieposts

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #802 on: July 02, 2007, 03:29:32 AM

Presumably, our Bob-spy-infested forces threw themselves into the attack in an attempt to prove their bona fides, and killed lots of their compatriots on the other Bob side, while all the goons in their PUG flew in circles spamming local with "fofofo" and asking "how I shot web at station?  Giev missel or bump!"

Gold.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #803 on: July 02, 2007, 04:11:38 AM

Ok, now that both sides here have had a good long dick waving session, can we get back to some actual war news?  Just curious if somebody could summarize the current events.  Like, situation in the North, wtf is actually being fought over in the south, state of alliance loyalties, etc.  Presented in an un-inflammatory manner would be nice  wink.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #804 on: July 02, 2007, 06:50:40 AM

My report on the "battle" on the 28th - which I thought was pretty restrained, and LC didn't have any major beef with - is pretty much the last big fight to happen in the south.  RKK forgot to fuel a large tower a couple of days ago, and we shot web at it til it popped, with ugly consequences in local chat when US Timezone Bob found out what Euro timezone Bob had gone and done.  We also snatched back sovereignty in 9-9 for long enough to retreive our stuff and reset the sovereignty counter*, which was nice.

We (GS, RA and TCF mainly) continue to probe POSs for now, but I think both sides are a bit leery of committing large fleets - especially dreads - when the results of being jumped by enemy fleets seems to be one side or the other mass-desynching and getting obliterated.

In the north, the disappearance of MC to restock and prepare for whatever their next contract is - here's a clue: it won't be for RA, Goons, TCF or AAA - has left YW and the rest etc exposed, and they and Razor etc lost a couple of hundred ships in their only fleet battle, at something like a 20-to-1 ratio.  Presumably they'll be stiffened by some reinforcements from their more competent allies, otherwise YW will, yet again, find themselves as everyone's favourite Xelas substitute.

-------

*This assumes that CCP have the sovereignty counter working, which may be naive.

Twitter - Endieposts

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 233 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: War  
Jump to: