Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 09:44:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: War 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 233 Go Down Print
Author Topic: War  (Read 1942764 times)
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: March 01, 2007, 11:10:07 AM

Oh man - that's a lot of cargo. Wonder what dropped.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: March 01, 2007, 11:13:36 AM

Doesn't the cargo get completely destroyed when freighters blow up?
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #177 on: March 01, 2007, 11:25:53 AM

Nope, it's like a pinata.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: March 01, 2007, 11:32:42 AM

Freighters don't drop anything.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: March 01, 2007, 12:06:17 PM

Is The Scope a part of anything I should know?  And it's weird that outbreak is using 90% domi's. 
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: March 01, 2007, 12:26:38 PM

Is The Scope a part of anything I should know?  And it's weird that outbreak is using 90% domi's. 
Seemed like they swarmed the freighter with drones. It's how I'd do it, but I'm Gallente. We like to fight with disposable ships.

Maybe they're a Gallente corp that really likes drones. I should join.
TheDreamr
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: March 01, 2007, 12:55:01 PM

Is The Scope a part of anything I should know?

If i recall correctly it's one of the Gallente NPC corps, so not a bad place to stash your hauler alt.

Hold up ... this kill went down in a 0.6 system (Moniyyuku) and the victim was in an NPC corp so they weren't a direct war target - that just leaves the gang wardec method (unlikely these days), or a suicide run against the freighter & concord.

Looking at the ships outbreak were using and reading some of the comments attached to the killmail page I'm thinking this was a hit on an otherwise untouchable freighter.  Wow.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 01:11:33 PM by TheDreamr »

edit button addict.
WayAbvPar

Reply #182 on: March 01, 2007, 01:09:29 PM

If you want to see painful killmails, look no further.

http://killboard.outbreak-eve.com/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=249696

Are those SHIPS he was carrying? I knew freighters were big, but holy shit!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: March 01, 2007, 01:13:05 PM

If you want to see painful killmails, look no further.

http://killboard.outbreak-eve.com/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=249696

Are those SHIPS he was carrying? I knew freighters were big, but holy shit!

No - those were EXPEN$IVE $hip$ he was carrying.

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #184 on: March 01, 2007, 01:15:45 PM

Every single thing listed as destroyed was Tech2. Some of it is really fucking expensive.

And yes, freighters have over 1m m3 of cargo space with decent skills. A packaged frig is only like 2500m3. Hence the giant list.
WayAbvPar

Reply #185 on: March 01, 2007, 01:18:23 PM

Good god. That is more isk than I will ever see in my entire EVE career, methinks.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: March 01, 2007, 01:20:52 PM

Yes, those are ships, and T2 weapons and ammo he was carrying.  Freighter can do 750k m3, which in terms of minerals like Veldspar is 75 million units.  Or to put it another way, one freighter can carry the equivalent of 30+ regular haulers (which is what they'd have to bring in if they wanted to scoop all that stuff up and re-sell it).

It certainly looks like it was a suicide attack.  All those battleships, destroyed in the process (it's illegal to try to avoid being destroyed by Concord police in high sec).  Ship to ship, if the freighter costs 1.5 billion, and you lose 18 battleships at 100 mil each, it's not worth it if the freighter is empty. 

I still think I read somewhere that freighters don't drop anything when killed, but even if it did drop everything listed, they would have had to have 20-30 hauler alts at the scene to scoop the stuff up.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: March 01, 2007, 01:29:43 PM

I think I would still be in a corner crying if I lost all that. Repackaged ships lose insurance right?

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: March 01, 2007, 01:31:10 PM

Yeah, none of the cargo was insured.  He was hauling all that stuff to sell it.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: March 01, 2007, 01:32:23 PM

Yea - that would be account cancel time.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: March 01, 2007, 02:21:38 PM

It certainly looks like it was a suicide attack.  All those battleships, destroyed in the process (it's illegal to try to avoid being destroyed by Concord police in high sec).  Ship to ship, if the freighter costs 1.5 billion, and you lose 18 battleships at 100 mil each, it's not worth it if the freighter is empty. 

What they did was get a bunch of drone ships to hold off the police while they ganked the freighter.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #191 on: March 01, 2007, 02:24:20 PM

http://www.kugutsumen.com/showthread.php?t=363

LV Alliance Leader a GM; Gives Advice On Upcoming T2 BPO Changes to Corpmates

Funny if true.

Yoru

Reply #192 on: March 01, 2007, 02:33:34 PM

Funny if true.

This is going to be drama-Nagasaki to last month's drama-Hiroshima.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: March 01, 2007, 02:35:38 PM

HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE for that freighter kill. I have no specifics.

Apparently a guy in some corp scammed/did something bad to a certain 0utbreak member. That guy kind of sort of stalked him and found an instance where he's moving a ton of his belongings from one place to another, through a NPC corp freighter guy. His guy or hired I don't know.

They used a ton of doms with a ton of drones out to draw Concord fire. Concord has to appear and whack the drones as well, so it gives you more time to get some damage in. 30ish battleships using the max ammount of drones they can is enough to down a freighter in a Concord-protected area, I guess.

And yes, ships and other T2 things that were being carried around. Rough estimates is about 4B isk lost plus the freighter itself. T1 drone fitted battleships, which were used to gank this thing - about 32M each after insurance.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: March 01, 2007, 02:45:39 PM

Funny if true.

Alliance leader and titan pilot.  I love this.  There they are, screaming about "Devswarm" and yet another CCP employee turns out to be giving them orders.

And yeah, from the look of it he's been bending the rules to help out his corp, too.  Didn't seem to work too well, though, since they're getting ass-whooped, right now.

But CCP need to say that devs can't be cap-fleet commanders in major alliances, nor can they lead alliances themselves.  Useful as they might consider the data to be, it is a huge conflict of interest.

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Ratadm
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: March 01, 2007, 04:00:59 PM

I thought the use of drones was mostly because concord can jam and drones don't need anything besides the initial targeting to function.  I mean all the domi's were fit with cheap plates and extenders, they obviously knew exactly what they were hitting and knew it would be in high sec.  I'm impressed how far they were willing to get revenge.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: March 01, 2007, 04:31:08 PM

More amusing, less dramatic thing from that chatlog: LV are retreating to Stain because they think that the complexes there are unclaimed so they can farm them to rebuild.
Minor flaw in the plan: -A- run all the complexes in Stain.  :-D

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: March 01, 2007, 07:17:11 PM

Funny if true.

They should make a movie out of htis: The Perfect Shitstorm

It will be interesting to see the outcome.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #198 on: March 01, 2007, 10:28:00 PM

The other piece of the war is happening over in Querious.  The northern allies made a serious play for ED- (the FIX outpost system), BoB showed up with a couple of titans and FIX rolled out everything, after a week of heavy fighting the northerners had managed to plant POS at 2 of the 11 moons in that system, plus some staging POS in nearby systems (they'd taken out POS in a couple of other moons, but didn't manage to get their POS up before we replaced them).  They've apparently given up on ED- for now (all the northern POS are gone from everywhere around ED-) and are focusing on 9CG (a BoB station right in the middle of Q), they've managed to get control of it through some POS-spamming (lots of moons in 9CG). 

KIA has been contracted by FIX to interfere with their empire logistics in the Agil area and has racked up a few hundred kills there (there's been many thousands in Q).  It actually might be a bigger fight than the LV/RedSwarm showdown, but since it's not nearly as fluid and one sided it's not getting as much attention.  Priority of BoB seems to be to fight for every inch while bleeding the north as much as possible and hope that LV can hold out long enough, and/or do enough damage to RedSwarm, that this turns into a repeat of TCAG in the ASCN war (ASCN bled themselves white trying unsuccessfully to take a beachhead in Period Basis, and lost the capacity for effective offensive operations as a result).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ratadm
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: March 02, 2007, 12:12:03 AM

Interesting to hear the perspective of the other side on the other front of the war.  Look forward to maybe seeing you in space Mahrin evil

Wish I had more time to be playing and knew more about exactly what's going on with LV front atm but school calls, oh well week and a half and I'll have time again.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: March 02, 2007, 01:08:08 AM

The other piece of the war is happening over in Querious.  The northern allies made a serious play for ED-...[snip] They've apparently given up on ED- for now (all the northern POS are gone from everywhere around ED-) and are focusing on 9CG (a BoB station right in the middle of Q), they've managed to get control of it through some POS-spamming (lots of moons in 9CG). 

Yeah, Munky has been talking about the reasoning behind that shift as it went on.  The version from AAA's side is that they weren't getting [edit: their desired type of] fighting - FIX were sensibly avoiding head-on engagements - so they moved to try and provoke BoB.  Is it possible that there was rather more of an element that it's really not the right point on the BoB front to start exposing, say, AAA's dreads alone in siege mode to organised BoB+slaves counter-attacks?  That would inevitably end up with another 15-dead-dreads moment (surely a real danger to GS on the LV front if they get careless in mopping up there, too).  If you have substantial superiority of numbers on the way on another front, why not play at managing your own attrition for a while?  But hey, I don't really understand PoS warfare any more than 95% of the playerbase.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 01:13:41 AM by Endie »

Twitter - Endieposts

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #201 on: March 02, 2007, 02:42:06 PM

I love Eve stories.  I'm half tempted to play, buy a little ship, and just putter around newb space shiftlessly, like Han Solo before he met the rebels.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: March 02, 2007, 06:13:32 PM

free 14 day trial...
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #203 on: March 03, 2007, 05:28:01 AM

Funny if true.

Inaccurate, if anything. The "advice" in question was posted quite a bit before the player was hired as GM, and it's hardly rocket science either -- anyone with brain would (and did) connect the dots and realize that invention system which was said to become alternative to tech.2 BPO ... would affect the price and profitability of these very BPOs.
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #204 on: March 03, 2007, 06:49:04 AM

Unless somebody slip him details, which is an even more plausible theory, given what we know.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #205 on: March 03, 2007, 07:28:26 AM

Unless somebody slip him details, which is an even more plausible theory, given what we know.
Since even with no insider info it's no brainer invention would affect BPO prices and availability of tech.2 gear it's rather moot point. That would be like getting insider tip shares of company X are going to go up when they've been reporting to public record profits for entire year, or something.

edit: For that matter, the details were posted by dev in charge of that mechanics in the public forum during the test phase iirc, so people could actually test if it works on the test server before it hit the TQ. It's still a sticky in Game Development section, dated 2006.11.24
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 07:34:46 AM by tmp »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #206 on: March 03, 2007, 08:29:43 AM

I love Eve stories.  I'm half tempted to play, buy a little ship, and just putter around newb space shiftlessly, like Han Solo before he met the rebels.
Dont bother if thats all your going to do.  You can get the same effect by taping a picture of outspace over the top half of your screen and reading Barrens Chat on the bottom of the screen.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #207 on: March 03, 2007, 08:40:49 AM

I just want to fly around in a badass space jalopy listening to Steve Miller and getting baked with Chewie.  Someone make a game like that please.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: March 03, 2007, 09:02:23 AM

Funny if true.

Inaccurate, if anything.
Accurate, if anything.

Fixed that for you.

I love the whine from CCP there: "boo hoo, we just want to get on with playing the game in morally insupportably influential positions in BoB and LV, spawning ourselves BPOs and using inside information to sell one blueprint for 78.5 billion ISK* before the market crashes.  Why does this whistleblower keep victimising us for our morally dubious behaviour?!?"  CCP and Kugut deserve each other.

*A huge sum: somewhere north of 9000 dollars at IGE bulk prices.

Twitter - Endieposts

Yoru

Reply #209 on: March 03, 2007, 10:12:08 AM

Um... you realize that all it says there is that Kugu managed to out a GM, but the player in question wasn't involved in any known malfeasance?

Now, the one thing that is a bit sketchy is that he was still on LV teamspeak as of this week...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 233 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: War  
Jump to: