Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:42:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: AvP? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AvP?  (Read 6566 times)
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: August 15, 2004, 01:34:19 PM

Quote from: Margalis
Anyone read the AvP Darkhorse comics? I have the first issue in a box someplace at home.

Good stuff.  Predators drop some eggs on a planet that has xenocattle for them to incubate in.  Sadly the planet has been colonized by humans and what should have been an isolated Alien infestation grows when the infected herd is taken to a central town and a few thousand xenocattle get infected.

Nice story, well drawn.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: August 16, 2004, 09:25:36 AM

Quote from: stray
The Predator was fucking HUGE in that clip, and I've never really seen them as being that big.

Kevin Hall, the actor who played the original Predator was 7'2" (I'm sure this is old news, but he was also "Harry" from "Harry and the Hendersons" too). They're pretty much the same size in this one, give or take. I suppose that most of the guys in the original were at least 6' and pretty big themselves, most of the shots were stealth or fast paced action, so it may not have been as noticable.

I wasn't thinking he was tall so much as the one in the clip I linked was THICK. He was built like a brick shithouse, whereas my memory of the first Predator movie was that the Predator was more wiry; muscular, but not bulky muscular.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 16, 2004, 01:25:25 PM

Well, they are an ENTIRE RACE of galactic sports hunters.  Wouldnt be terribly surprising if some of them are built like Bruce Lee, and some like Ahnold.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: August 16, 2004, 01:36:46 PM

Fucks sake.

All you have to do to make an alien or predator film is put an alien or a predator in an enclosed location with some soldiers who are not each dressed in a different primary colour for easy identification. Hire a half decent writer, and make it night time.

Why these fuckers insist on overreaching with some unecessary dumbass concept I'll never know.

Bastards.

"Aliens 6 - This time it's in the Epsilon Quadrant, we have really big guns, and it doesn't feature any Weaver females or video game crossover directors - also we promise not to use that crappy blue straight-to-video specular lighting designed to hide cheap sets"

Would get my entrance money every time.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 17, 2004, 08:54:14 AM

Thought it was a decent flick.  The whole temple thing was too childish for me.  Like something a 12 year old would write into his 'waycool' story.  I would have preferred a more believable setting.  I thought the movie was fun though.  Worth the ticket to get in.  As mentioned in another thread my appreciation could be tied to not having any power due to hurricane charlie so the alternative was to bake inside my apartment and generally despise life.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 18, 2004, 12:59:09 AM

Well, I just saw it tonight.  It wasn't a bad movie per se... I mean, it wasn't Alien 3 bad... but it was,  for lack of a better word, boring.  It had none of the dramatic tension of the other movies, and the pulse-pounding action gave me more of a headache than a heart attack.

There are only three big action sequences (with a few other minor and brief ones), and of those only the first one is really "cool".  The plot was fine but rather haphazardly executed, with a big infodump in the middle of the movie to catch any of the stupid memebers of the audience up to speed.

There are several logical questions/inconsistencies that are evident, but they are all relatively minor to the central theme of the piece.  Ultimately I think AvP is worthy of a place in Aliens cannon (as opposed to, say, 3 and maybe 4), but it just didn't make a very good movie.  The script had some very bad dialogue; thankfully there wasn't much of it.  Their are several "homages" to the Alien (and Predator) movies, which are cool.  And the ending makes more sense when you consider that such a possibility was originally envisioned as a possible explanation for how an alien got on board the dropshop in-between Aliens and Alien 3.

Bruce
Capt_XplOrOrOr

Email
Reply #41 on: August 27, 2004, 11:12:02 AM

Quote from: SurfD

They never really do explain why the exploration team had weapons, but rest assured, it isnt quite as bad you make it out to sound.  Besides, the humans need SOMETHING to at least make us think they stand a chance when the main players show up (what, you thought this movie was about the Exploration team?!) (and for all the good it does them, they might as well have had pellet guns)

They do. The old guy (played by Lance Henriksen) is the first one to notice the heat signatures given off by the place in the Antartic. He was concerned about other expeditions coming after him, and taking the glory from him and his expedition. He 100% formed, and funded, and prepared the entire expedition. It was him who thought up bringing the light weapons, and heavy weapons. The Black British guy turned out to be a special military ops guy. Remember when he said "Time to drop the ruse"? And then he and the other guys whip out their big heavy guns? It just ended up that they found out they had to use the guns on something else instead of other human expeditions trying to steal their glory.

Quote from: SurfD

you arent supposed to argue semantics about how a team of 8 explorers manage to provied enough body mass to grow a fucking ARMY of giant space monsters that are each two times their body mass in under 6 hours

There were roughly 50 Humans total. Did the Predators bring down the shipmen and Drillers, the humans they slaughtered on the surface? (Maybe off camera?) It is possible. The first 2 Predators calmly walk by the 1 surviving human shipman from the surface.

I am sure there were more than 8 humans in the expedition that went into the temple. (I saw AvP twice, for free each time. But never took time to count how many were in the expedition.)

The storyline in the movie makes it plain that the entire reason for the Aliens being there was intentional to the point that they were throughly tampered with. The Queen being forced to make eggs. The Queen being strapped in, and hooked up, 100% perfectly according to a strict design by the Predators. It is also made plain she was very genetically enhanced - she is far, far, far, bigger than the Queens in the past Alien movies. Her offspring could likely be genetically enhanced to grow super-quick. Producing an Alien in a few hours after a Human gets infested.

Quote from: Dark Vengeance

Call me crazy, but if I had the ability to see people using their heat signature, I'd probably try to avoid fighting in hot areas. Fighting in the cold = a greater contrast between your prey and the suurounding area.

Maybe they only hunt humans in warm weather, because they are trying to give themselves a bit of a challenge. If the films are any indication, it would seem that the Aliens are a better adversary for them than b-movie actors and future governors (i.e. Ventura and Schwarzenegger).

In this new movie, AvP, it shows that the Predators have multiple levels of vision. Infared, X-Ray, blue light, gama-ray, and more. One scene shows a Predator cycling through the different viewfinders he has.

And yes, the Aliens are an ultimate prey compared to the pesky Humans. Watch AvP to see what the Humans originally were reguarded as to the Predators. Theoretically, in a fight of an Alien vs a Predator, and Alien will win. They are faster, have acid that goes through even Predator armor instantly, and are just a physically strong ... possibly even stronger since an Alien can lift up a huge Predator with just its tale, using no effort. Without their nuke-plasma-shoulder launcher a Predator is helpless vs an Alien. Which the movie showed when the Predators were chasing the Humans to get their shoulder launchers.

Queen Alien wins vs everyone in a fight. The movie would have been 100 times better if the Queen showed up after the head Predator and his followers came outside the ship. The Queen vs 10 Predators at the same time! That would have been some action! She's trying to get off Antartica, they spot her, and then try to kill her to stop her. ALL the humans are dead. The Predators ignore Sanaa Lathan as she freezes to death in 10 seconds after she takes off her jacket and is in her T-Shirt.

--------

Overall AvP was an OK movie. Better than the last Alien Resurrection movie, but not better than the first Predator movie, nor the first two Alien movies. The F/X were nice. The plot was nice. The storyline was nice.

Take out the character of the lead woman and her uber-feminist-feminazi attitude (played by Sanaa Lathan) and the movie goes from OK to being Excellent. Take out the rest of the human characters, except for the old guy, the black British guy (played by Colin Salmon ), and the Italian guy (played by Raoul Bova), and AvP goes from being Excellent to being a CLASSIC Sci-Fi movie.

The character played by Sanaa Lathan nearly destroys the entire AvP movie. When she started bossing the Predator around I and the audiance groaned. Then they bring AvP down another level by showing a scene straight out of the recent Batman and Robin movie, of them running together side by side... just like in the old 1960's Batman TV show. AvP is not ment to be campy, silly, or for little kids. It's too obvious some Hollywood exec put his out of touch paws on this movie. But like I said, if one can ignore every scene with Sanaa Lathan, then this movie is Nice!

Some other horrible discrepencies:

- EVERYONE, the expedition, the shipmen, the drillers, all witness for a fact that some hours earlier the ground was solid ice over 2,000 feet thick. (Close to a half mile thick). Suddently, and instantly, without any major sound, a 2,000 foot deep pit/abyss appears in the ice? Drilled by unknown technology? Instantly drilled in seconds? And they see no sign of whatever machine, person, thing, made it? It's like you walking along looking behind you, you see nothing. You look behind you and suddently see a footprint 10 feet long. You would get the heck out of there, or start being ultra-careful. All the Humans keep on acting like there is nothing to worry about after seeing that impossible thing happen.

- In real life every goverment on the planet would have noticed the heat signatures from the new place in the antartic. Even if their expediton got there first, other expeditions would have been on their tails, arriving right after them, or same time as them.

- Sanaa Lathan running around in the Antartic in her T-Shirt.

- The Queen Alien has 4 arms with claws, plus a huge tail with a point on the end, and is roughly 60 feet tall, weighs (15,000lbs?) aka enough to knock over buildings as if they are made of paper.... and LOSES a tug of war vs..... 1 Predator that is roughly 15 feet tall, weights roughly 1,500 lbs, has claws on 2 feet, who is being helped by a human female in her T-Shirt, who weighs roughly 130lbs, and is roughly 5 feet 7 inches tall with no claws. And the tug of war takes place on ice and snow too!

- Sanaa Lathan bosses everyone around. Even after it is obvious the situation for the humans has changed and her expertise is no longer right for the current situation. When Colin Salmon says "Time to DROP the RUSE!" and whips out his huge gun along with all the others whipping out their guns. And Sanna Lathan says one of many of her dumbest lines in the entire movie.

- Sanaa Lathan is suppose to be an expert wilderness survivalists with "7 seasons". 7 years? Any expert would stick to the decision she first made to NOT go. Especially after she learned everyone else had zero experience surviving in the wilderness. And now go into the worse, harshest wilderness on the entire planet, with a bunch of rag-tag, green, zero experienced people?!? She "acts like a sterotypical woman" and falls for the line from the Italian guy "we can't survive without you". LOL!

- Why the heck did the Queen Alien, after escaping her prision of 1,000 to 2,000 to 5,000 to 10,000 years, decide to go chase after that 1 surviving Predator and 1 surviving little human? Why didn't the Queen, who showed she was very intelligent, instead just run off? (I know, I know... because then everyone else on Earth would have died LOL! Well... if the Queen starts with Hollywood first then maybe that would be ok! Kill the Hollywood exec who tried to mess up AvP by putting in Sanaa Lathan, and her character.

Sigurney Weaver was not the hero or even star of the first Alien movie. (At that point in time she had virtually no acting career or credits. Compare to Skerrit who had a very long and noteworhty career and credits.) Tom Skerrit was the star and hero. Weaver was the reluctant hero. Her attitude was "Great, this had to happen to me. Why can't I be left alone! Leave me alone!". Sanaa Lathan comes across with the attitude of *screaming* "I'm the big boss woman here! Do the rest of you humans get it! Do you Predators get it! I am the boss! Do as I say! I can't fight. I don't carry a gun. I hate using weapons. I run around the Antartic in my T-Shirt. Nothing can happen to me because I am the boss woman here!"

Man, when she naggs the Predator it sounds exactly like a wife nagging her husband/boyfriend "Oh no you don't! You're not going anywhere without me! Oh no you don't!" aarrrggghhhh!

->> Here's one question for everyone here - IS it possible for 1 person with zero experience operationg a ship to manuver a giant ship the size of a small tanker through the ice of the Antartic? Because how else is Sanaa Lathan suppose to get out of there? LOL! Even the head Preditor didn't want to take her feminist boss woman self aboard their ship. (Maybe give her a lift to the Carribian? Hawaii? South America? LOL!) They left her butt in the Antartic LOL![/i]
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: August 27, 2004, 11:14:40 AM

Quote from: Capt_XplOrOrOr
LOL! LOL! LOL!

Another rule for you.

Stop typing 'LOL!' or any variation of it.

If you break any of the rules, your ass is mine. Double standards for the win, LOL!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: AvP?  
Jump to: