Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:00:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: AvP? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AvP?  (Read 6572 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

on: August 12, 2004, 12:52:50 PM

Well im starting this thread now but hopefully someone will see the movie andpost before saturday, i really was looking forward to this movie but the more i hear, the more i dont like.  as in pq-13 and all that, does anyone know of any redeeming qualities this movie might have?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 01:09:32 PM

It has an expeditionary force that thought ahead and brough fully automatic weapons and tons of ammo on an archaeological find in arntartica.  Isn't that enough internal logic to reccomend the movie?

The movie will probably suck huge amounts of ass.  I will also probably see it as a matinee this weekend.  God save me.

Then again maybe everything will be flooded here in Florieda and god WILL save me.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 01:21:49 PM

Quote from: Lakov_Sanite
does anyone know of any redeeming qualities this movie might have?

Aliens. And Predators.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 01:23:09 PM

I predict it will make it's Sci Fi channel debut this fall.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 03:02:14 PM

Quote from: Alluvian
It has an expeditionary force that thought ahead and brough fully automatic weapons and tons of ammo on an archaeological find in arntartica.

Arntartica ees going to go crrrazy because dey know I am herrre to keek some serious butt. Ven dey start trying to poosh me around I vill poosh bahck.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 03:04:30 PM

I've seen a lot bad reviews, and the only good one I saw said it was basically shit too.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 04:28:04 PM

Quote from: Some AICN Reviewer
Fuck you, Paul Anderson. I hope you rot in Hell.

That would have to be my favorite quote from early views of AVP.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 06:44:27 PM

The fact that Preditors are hunting in Antarctica pisses me off.  Not to complain about 'canon' or anything, but all the movies specify how they always hunt where it's hot.
Demetra
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 08:04:37 PM

If you offer a clip of your movie I would think it would be because you thought it made it look cool.  Is this clip as stupid looking as it appears to be?  Looks like a bad Saturday morning cartoon.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/clips/clips_fight_large.html
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 09:45:54 PM

Ok, I just got out of a screening of the movie.  In all honesty, I liked it.  Sure, I went in expecting an acton packed slug fest between Big Ugly Predators (and FUCK are they big), and Big Ugly Aliens, and thats what I got.

Having seen two Predators movies, and at the first two Aliens movies, I would say it was better then both sequels, but probably not as good as either origional.

(and for GODS sakes, what is it with you people and expecitng something like this to have some kind of oscar winning plot?  Shit is supposed to go BOOM and fucking worms with teath are supposed to bust out of peoples chests, you arent supposed to argue semantics about how a team of 8 explorers manage to provied enough body mass to grow a fucking ARMY of giant space monsters that are each two times their body mass in under 6 hours)

And what the HELL gives you the idea that Preadators always fight where its hot?!  They are galactic sports hunters....they hunt ANYWHERE they can find good prey (point in fact, wasnt the second movie staged in a city like L.A.?), or in this case, in a facility of their own making DESIGNED to breed Xenomorphs when they want something nasty to shoot.

Quote from: Alluvian
It has an expeditionary force that thought ahead and brough fully automatic weapons and tons of ammo on an archaeological find in arntartica.

They never really do explain why the exploration team had weapons, but rest assured, it isnt quite as bad you make it out to sound.  Besides, the humans need SOMETHING to at least make us think they stand a chance when the main players show up (what, you thought this movie was about the Exploration team?!) (and for all the good it does them, they might as well have had pellet guns)

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Delf
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 09:58:37 PM

I'm thinking that with a name like "Alien vs Predator" the one entity guaranteed *not* to win is "viewer". I could be wrong.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 13, 2004, 06:14:33 AM

Quote from: SurfD

Having seen two Predators movies, and at the first two Aliens movies, I would say it was better then both sequels, but probably not as good as either origional.

Better than Aliens?  Wha?

And what the HELL gives you the idea that Preadators always fight where its hot?!  They are galactic sports hunters....they hunt ANYWHERE they can find good prey (point in fact, wasnt the second movie staged in a city like L.A.?), or in this case, in a facility of their own making DESIGNED to breed Xenomorphs when they want something nasty to shoot.

I'll just back away from the potential nerd fight.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 13, 2004, 07:12:48 AM

Quote from: daveNYC

Better than Aliens?  Wha?

Err, sorry, my bad (I meant to include Alien and Aliens as being better, it is the third one (aliens II? the name escapes me) that I was thinking about (I wrote that at like 2 am after biking home, so I was somewhat tired))

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: August 13, 2004, 07:16:25 AM

The fact that Preditors are hunting in Antarctica pisses me off.  Not to complain about 'canon' or anything, but all the movies specify how they always hunt where it's hot.

That's why the predator heals in a meat locker in Predator 2 - because it's hot, am i rite?
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 13, 2004, 08:10:22 AM

Oh I am very afraid but I plan to see this at a an early showing tomorrow afternoon. It probably sucks but many people hated predator 2 and frankly I kinda liked it.

Then again I chose to go see house of the dead of my own free will so I am a sick sick man.

kaid
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 13, 2004, 08:12:15 AM

Oh on the heat thing. The reason why people mention that is in the first and second predator movie it mentiones that the predators mainly due their hunts during extremly hot times. Its not that they can't handle cold but it just appears they prefer it to be a bit on the toasty side.

kaid
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 13, 2004, 08:39:29 AM

Quote from: schild

That's why the predator heals in a meat locker in Predator 2 - because it's hot, am i rite?

Eats in the meat locker.  That's why Gary Busey's character was trying to kill it using that stupid fog machine.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: August 13, 2004, 08:40:44 AM

Eats in the meat locker.  That's why Gary Busey's character was trying to kill it using that stupid fog machine.

I'm gonna dig up the movie and watch it again. I'm 100% sure Busey says they track him back there every night because he rests and has his meals there.
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #18 on: August 13, 2004, 08:44:22 AM

Quote from: kaid
Oh on the heat thing. The reason why people mention that is in the first and second predator movie it mentiones that the predators mainly due their hunts during extremly hot times. Its not that they can't handle cold but it just appears they prefer it to be a bit on the toasty side.

kaid

Call me crazy, but if I had the ability to see people using their heat signature, I'd probably try to avoid fighting in hot areas. Fighting in the cold = a greater contrast between your prey and the suurounding area.

Maybe they only hunt humans in warm weather, because they are trying to give themselves a bit of a challenge. If the films are any indication, it would seem that the Aliens are a better adversary for them than b-movie actors and future governors (i.e. Ventura and Schwarzenegger).

Bring the noise.
Cheers............
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 13, 2004, 08:51:03 AM

Or the LAPD for that matter.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #20 on: August 13, 2004, 08:54:03 AM

Quote from: Demetra
If you offer a clip of your movie I would think it would be because you thought it made it look cool.  Is this clip as stupid looking as it appears to be?  Looks like a bad Saturday morning cartoon.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/clips/clips_fight_large.html

I want to see this movie purely as a popcorn flick, but damn, that did look like shit. The Predator was fucking HUGE in that clip, and I've never really seen them as being that big. Something about that whole fight seemed totally wrong to me.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: August 13, 2004, 09:00:20 AM

It gets worse. New clip just released called "Face Off" where the Predators face off against the humans.

Ugggh.

schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: August 13, 2004, 09:01:33 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
It gets worse. New clip just released called "Face Off" where the Predators face off against the humans.

Ugggh.

Fuck, and I was about to say - at least the original clip didn't have any humans in it. Meh.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 13, 2004, 03:42:19 PM

Quote from: HaemishM

Ugggh.

That girl would be so dead from being Predator punted.  Oh and why must they insist on including that stupid tongue with the mouth on it?
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #24 on: August 13, 2004, 04:31:47 PM

Because it was one of the signature sights and sounds of the Alien franchise, perhaps?

Kind of like asking why they have to give all those predators dreadlocks, and the ability to turn invisible and stuff. Or for that matter, why Freddy always has those knife-fingers, why Jason always wears that hockey mask, or why all those Jedi have to use lightsabers.

Bring the noise.
Cheers.............
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #25 on: August 13, 2004, 06:34:55 PM

I just saw it, but only because somebody paid my way in. I think I got my money's worth :) It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be (Not great or anything, on par with Alien 3 but not 4, and definitely better than Freddy vs Jason. Of course, none of that is saying much).

The storyline and time/setting should have been different, but it was a decent way to include humans into the mix. I would have preferred something more futuristic. The fights were entertaining enough, and I learned a few new things about Predators. The sad thing is, there's only one small factor that makes Aliens vs Predators an even fight, but I won't spell it out. Though it's pretty obvious if you think about it.

Rental worthy.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 14, 2004, 12:59:28 AM

Quote from: Dark Vengeance
Because it was one of the signature sights and sounds of the Alien franchise, perhaps?

Kind of like asking why they have to give all those predators dreadlocks, and the ability to turn invisible and stuff. Or for that matter, why Freddy always has those knife-fingers, why Jason always wears that hockey mask, or why all those Jedi have to use lightsabers.

Bring the noise.
Cheers.............

That stupid tongue didn't show up until movie 2 or 3.  It was stupid then, and it's stupid now.  Unless the Aliens reproduce by fission that begins in the tongue, which we know they don't, then it's fucking stupid and should have been ignored.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #27 on: August 14, 2004, 03:38:39 AM

The Predator was fucking HUGE in that clip, and I've never really seen them as being that big.

Kevin Hall, the actor who played the original Predator was 7'2" (I'm sure this is old news, but he was also "Harry" from "Harry and the Hendersons" too). They're pretty much the same size in this one, give or take. I suppose that most of the guys in the original were at least 6' and pretty big themselves, most of the shots were stealth or fast paced action, so it may not have been as noticable.

What surprised me was how big an Alien Queen can be (25'-30' feet maybe).

That stupid tongue didn't show up until movie 2 or 3.

It was in 2. Stupid maybe. Signature, yes.
Demetra
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 14, 2004, 08:29:56 AM

The tongue was in the first movie.   As I recall it wasn't as obvious as they made it later but it was there.  Seems like there is a shot in there of the alien bashing through the top of someone's skull with it.  It was yet another reason the first movie freaked me out so much.  I kept wondering if that was what I had seen but wasn't sure until I saw a model in the local gaming store and it had the tongue.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 14, 2004, 08:38:54 AM

Yes, the inner mouth is in the first movie. Not only during a kill, but when it "wakes up" in the escape shuttle. It's a very obvious part of the Aliens in ALL the movies.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 14, 2004, 10:44:40 AM

Ah, the inner mouth.  I wondered what the fuck this 'tongue' thing was you were talking about.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #31 on: August 14, 2004, 01:21:49 PM

Quote from: stray
It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be (Not great or anything, on par with Alien 3 but not 4.

So, are you saying it is better than Aliens 4, or worse. Cause if its any thing like that steaming pile. Count me out. I enjoyed Preditor 2, a lot. Maybe it was that I was young.

On the heat thing:

In the second Preditor, they should a little bit of the preditors hunting history on earth, and they say that historically they only come to earth during a heatwave.
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 14, 2004, 05:14:31 PM

Predators only hunt in hot climates. That's why they're allready legendary in the southamerican jungle in the first movie and why the second movie spends time in the beginning showing us LA sweltering in a record breaking heatwave in the second (which I actually preferred story- and settingwise... it had other flaws though).

The "stupid" inner mouth was a H.R. Giger invention from the original design from the first movie. And he was always about phallic and scary over 'making biological sense'.

And the movie Aliens as well as some of the Dark Horse Aliens/Predator/AvP comics proved that it was possible to make something more than just action/horror/slugfest with the premise. Afterall both original movies was just clever takes on old clichés (Alien was a haunted house in space with the gothic mansion replaces by an - implausible - gothic spaceship and the ghost/stalker replaced with a clever xenomorph.)

Aliens was the pinnacle and this looks like it will make Alien 4 look clever. Sad really.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 14, 2004, 06:28:12 PM

Alien was a haunted house movie in space.

Aliens kicked ass.

Alien 3 tried too hard.

Alien 4 was one of the most dissapointing movies I've seen. (Horrible direction, stick to your French faux art stuff thanks)
---

Anyone read the AvP Darkhorse comics? I have the first issue in a box someplace at home.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #34 on: August 14, 2004, 07:50:40 PM

So, are you saying it is better than Aliens 4, or worse.

No better or worse, I guess. AvP's plot isn't as ridiculous, so in some ways it was better. I happen to think Alien 3 is the really bad one, worst than 4 (but that could also be because I can sit through just about anything with Winona Ryder in it).

Alien 3 is just boring, and lacks much of the suspence or fun that could at the very least make it a good, mindless, action film. Alien 4 has Ron Perlman.

Also, I haven't had high expectations for these films since Alien 3, I'm not a big fan of the franchises or anything, so take that as you will. AvP is entertaining, but that's about it.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: AvP?  
Jump to: