Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:28:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: I See What You Did There. A Vanguard Review. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I See What You Did There. A Vanguard Review.  (Read 109643 times)
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: February 11, 2007, 03:23:16 PM

Heck just have two damage pools, one for pvp one for pve.   Then you could have a damage spell do 200  damage when cast at a mob and 100 damage when cast at a player.  Heal spells would heal both pools at the same time but would heal 200 points against the pve pool and only 100  in the pvp pool.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: February 12, 2007, 05:34:12 AM

HAY GUYS!  I gots an ideas.  Why not make mobs and players have equivalent hit points and attack ability at a given level and then you don't have to dork around with pvp/pve damage tables.

OH NOS!  You men players will be fighting mobs higher level then themselves when in a groups!!!  How can this be?  Dev Rule #1 "Make player feel inferior" must be obeyed!!!

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #107 on: February 12, 2007, 06:15:08 AM

Murgos, that breaks rule #1 of mmo: start relatively powerful (rat pwner), end incredibly gimpy (raid peon).

Friggin mmo. You guys crack me up.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #108 on: February 13, 2007, 11:11:37 AM

Newest wrinkle: Sigil has banned a bunch of people for having too much money. Brad always said he wanted to fight RMT, but is this the best way to do it this early in the game?

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?topic_id=2815

http://forums.tentonhammer.com/showthread.php?t=7708

There are reports of RMT email spam and /tells in game but I haven't seen them myself yet.

To put the amounts in perspective, the nicest housing plots are 50g, I believe, so if some players already have 20g you can see how Sigil might be alarmed.

I have never played WoW.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #109 on: February 13, 2007, 12:28:34 PM

I sure as hell hope they have more evidence than just the amount of gold on the characters, something like logs of large amounts of coin being traded between people who have never met before.  The hard-core crafter community who earned all that money is one of the last communities you would want to piss off en masse.

I've stopped playing, turns out I did only like it because of my guild.  But they were on the PvP server and I just can't stand PvP, I don't like getting killed while crafting and I take no joy in kills I make, lose-lose.  After I had some fun burning through a half dozen of the newbie areas on a PvE server I quit because I had to spend an hour grinding out the last bit of level six on my gnome due to lack of quests.  The future was no brighter.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #110 on: February 14, 2007, 09:57:41 AM

Since coin-banking only recently was added, and you could lose every cent you had on a PVP server, I can see many people emailing themselves all their money on a level 1 alt. That should be obvious to anyone who has paid attention to the community in the game.

Oh wait, this is McQuaid. The community doesn't exist.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #111 on: February 15, 2007, 02:11:02 PM

Brad posted

I can't get into specifics, but we are well over 100,000 and growing steadily every day.

in thread at Ten Ton Hammer that was speculating about sales/subscribers. What the "100,000" actually is remains unclear and we will likely never know given SOE's tight lips.

I have never played WoW.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #112 on: February 21, 2007, 10:10:08 AM

I have this image of Brad behind an executive desk with a huge WW2 poster stating "Loose Lips Sink Ships MMOs"

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #113 on: February 21, 2007, 12:26:16 PM

Brad posted

I can't get into specifics, but we are well over 100,000 and growing steadily every day.

in thread at Ten Ton Hammer that was speculating about sales/subscribers. What the "100,000" actually is remains unclear and we will likely never know given SOE's tight lips.

Clarifying, the 100,000 is box sales/digital downloads according to Nino on the FoH forums. I am link lazy, sorry.

I have never played WoW.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: February 21, 2007, 01:32:39 PM

I have this image of Brad behind an executive desk with a huge WW2 poster stating "Loose Lips Sink Ships MMOs"

The sign I see is more like:

"MMOG's: When one full-time job isn't enough."

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #115 on: February 21, 2007, 01:45:18 PM

Funny, because these are what he actually has on his wall:

schild
Administrator

Reply #116 on: February 21, 2007, 01:52:39 PM

These can be seen in various cubicles around the office.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: February 21, 2007, 01:57:10 PM

The one at my desk:

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: February 21, 2007, 10:58:27 PM

Interesting that nearly all the people on this board that liked Vanguard have now either already quit or cooled to it. If what we are seeing here is any indication those 100k box sales are going to end up as 30k subs...

People realize that potential doesn't mean squat in the present tense.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #119 on: February 22, 2007, 12:04:24 AM

I was luke warm to it, but am still playing, mostly because the girlfriend, of all people, really is enjoying it. I'm mostly in it for the crafting. They did do a nice job on various weapon types and styles, with different types per ore level. It is grindy tho. Not quite mind crushing at my level, but if EQ's anything to go buy, what I call a grind at level 18 smith will look like a skip and a hop by level 40-50.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #120 on: February 23, 2007, 09:39:38 PM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Rithrin
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: February 24, 2007, 06:50:30 AM

Although a lot of people have probably already up and quit, the last patch seems to have a lot of people happy. Less memory leak, the client runs better, FPS is higher, and XP is a good amount faster. In fact, it got me to give it another try over the weekend. If the patches continue like this, it'll help. Whether or not its too late is another issue.

The sweetest wine comes from the grapes of victory.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: February 24, 2007, 03:25:31 PM

I can hardly wait until there are lots of level 45+ people all clammoring to get into the same 5 dungeons.  Won't that be fun?!?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #123 on: February 24, 2007, 06:22:26 PM

camp check!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: February 26, 2007, 06:40:34 AM

I like when people up and quit. So much better than just quitting. I knew a guy once who down and quit. Never heard from him again. Sometimes I just up, but don't quit.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: March 05, 2007, 09:11:33 AM

Coming to the thread late, only read first and last pages.

Brilliant review.  Told me everything I need to know without wasting my time. 

Thank you.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: March 05, 2007, 10:48:07 AM

Well I still can't load this game.

After reviewing subsequent posts in this thread - I think I will dump it my garbage and consider this the moment I save myself opportunity cost by "playing" this crap.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: I See What You Did There. A Vanguard Review.  
Jump to: