Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:06:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: PvP Online owns Penny Arcade 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PvP Online owns Penny Arcade  (Read 11821 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: January 26, 2007, 04:56:29 AM

I always liked Kurtz more than Gabe 'n Tycho. TO me they are just like WoW, but that's another topic I guess.
They are good friend, for all I know (are they?), but today's strip is just great. I loved it and wanted to share.

P.S:
PvP Online is going video. Sweet.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 08:19:00 PM

Oh yeah, it's that really unfunny comic written by the pretentious douchebag that I used to see in the back of the City of Heroes comics I got back when I played CoH.

It's still around?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 08:23:05 AM

PVP Online is about to get an animated series I think.

Sure, he's a pretentious douchebag. Why do you think people such as myself like him?

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 11:15:30 AM

PVP Online is about to get an animated series I think.

Sure, he's a pretentious douchebag. Why do you think people such as myself like him?
Head trauma? Who reads that shit?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 11:22:35 AM

I don't read it regularly anymore, but when I do, I tend to enjoy it. Same goes for Penny Arcade. They are funny when they are funny and when they aren't, I still like them.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 02:58:08 PM

I don't know anything about the man's personality, but his comics have yet to evoke anything but the rare slightly amused chuckle from me.  Usually it's more of a "Huh, alright."
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 09:15:45 PM by Llava »

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 03:06:25 PM

Penny Arcade is sometimes funny and sometimes insightful. PVP Online has never done anything for me at all.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 04:20:46 PM

Kurtz is a pretentious shit.

The fact that he's asking people to pay to see his shit animated is even more pretentious.

It's almost amusing that he takes himself as seriously as he does.  At least PA has teh whole charity thing going on once a year.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 05:55:42 PM

I dunno, Kurtz never bothered me that much.  I don't read his stuff that much (sitcom humor, no thanks), but he's never said anything that's really riled me.  In terms of pretentitude pretentiousity pretentiousness ego, he's not even close to the worst I've seen.  I mean, at least he doesn't hold conventions in his own honor or anything (as far as I know, anyway).  Maybe it's just a perspective thing; he IS a big deal in webcomics (whether you like his stuff or not, it pulls a lot of hits), so to someone like me, he's a guy who's earned at least a bit of respect, while to someone who doesn't give two craps about webcomics, he's probably a nobody and his opinions count for nothing.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 05:57:57 PM

Even the worst webcomics about gaming pull in a shitload of hits.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 10:49:32 PM

I was always under the impression that PAX was held for the fans as sort of a fan-event/mega-LAN party that has glommed into a non-Eł for various industry "thingins".  Basically, Mike and Jerry think it'd be cool to hang and game with their fans, but then things spiral out of control because they are pretty much nerd celebrities, which means they have the most needy fans in the world.  I can imagine only Star Wars conventions being scarier.

I don't know, I just got home from work and my W2 has my head loopy with dangerous thoughts.  PS3 and new HDTV thoughts.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 07:55:37 AM

God forbid I ever make money with my writing, some of you fuckers will never forgive me for that.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 08:20:45 AM

I certainly don't begrudge any money making.  I like Penny Arcade, I think they're funny on a regular basis.  Hell, that comic earlier this week about Mario Party made me laugh out loud.

PVP has just never made me laugh.  Like I said, a slight chuckle is the most it's evoked.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 12:43:42 PM

God forbid I ever make money with my writing, some of you fuckers will never forgive me for that.

The difference is that you don't seem full of yourself.  If you made money writing and then seemed full of yourself, you'd deserve to be shat upon, IMO.  I don't read PA, so I can't speak to it, but I do know that Kurtz is a douche from personal corresponding experience.  He was cool, got some popularity, now a tool.  Pete from Sluggy Freelance makes money (one would presume) yet isn't a dick as far as I can tell.  Therefore, he doesn't get my ire.

Besides, there's making money off writing, and then there's making MONEY off of writing.  The former is easy: I made about 800 bucks in the last two years publishing stuff at The Escapist.   The latter ain't.  I get royalties from a book to which I contributed a chapter.  If the first check is enough to take me and the wife out to dinner, sweet.  I doubt that it'll be that much because, well, I get a fraction of a fraction of the royalties.  But hey, I have a chapter in a book.  So go me.  Heck, I think Raph mentioned once that his first royalty check was tiny, and he wrote a WHOLE book. 

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 12:49:21 PM

So go me.  Heck, I think Raph mentioned once that his first royalty check was tiny, and he wrote a WHOLE book. 

But it was on his theory of fun... Not exactly a broad audience.

I'm sure Lum made more on his book. Again, I'm not sure there are people thinking...I think I might pick me up a MMOG, maybe I outta get me a dummies book.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 12:52:33 PM

Hey.  I was in that book.  Where's my check?

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 12:57:49 PM

So go me.  Heck, I think Raph mentioned once that his first royalty check was tiny, and he wrote a WHOLE book. 

But it was on his theory of fun... Not exactly a broad audience.

I'm sure Lum made more on his book. Again, I'm not sure there are people thinking...I think I might pick me up a MMOG, maybe I outta get me a dummies book.

Yeah, I know, I was just kind of pointing out that even with (presumably) 100% of the royalties, royalty checks aren't all that huge sometimes.

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 11:16:15 AM

It's an absolutely free webcomic.  Well, not the new animated stuff, but I'm expecting that to crash and burn.  I really don't think Kurtz is pretentious- he's no more opinionated or sure of himself than half the people on these boards. The only thing about him that bothers me is that his comic updates at wildly different times every day, which makes me think he's damn lazy. 

I don't get why anyone would get worked up over pvp or pa.  Nobody's making you pay/read them.  tongue
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007, 11:55:31 AM

People (especially here) like to h8. It makes then "cool".

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 01:34:54 PM

People (especially here) like to h8. It makes then "cool".

"Them", you fucking shitbag of fucking fuck!

No, I agree.  It's fun, sure, and a lot of times it's deserved.  I don't have any reason to dislike the web comic overlords.  PA is funny frequently enough that I read it.  PVP isn't, but some people like it and that's fine.  If you can make money doing what you love, more power to you.  Proves it's possible.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 07:28:36 AM

PVP isn't, but some people like it and that's fine. 

You do realize that you can use that same justification to support the continuing syndication of Family Circus and Marmaduke, right?
Llava
Contributor

Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 04:47:19 AM

<shrug> I don't read them anyways. Doesn't bother me.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 04:25:30 PM

The difference is that you don't seem full of yourself.

Here's the whole point (and the whole point of the strip I just linked). Apparently you had a bad experience with Kurtz and that's ok. I guess it happens. But who's more full of themselves than Gabe 'n Tycho? And I don't even need a correspondence to know that.

That said, I loved the Peanuts since I was a kid. I never bothered to read factoids of Charles M. Shultz's life. I left his work speak for him.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: PvP Online owns Penny Arcade  
Jump to: