Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:57:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: So Please To Advise My Weekly Group 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So Please To Advise My Weekly Group  (Read 13845 times)
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 26, 2007, 12:13:49 PM

Wow, there's a ton of new stuff!  It's rather impressive really.

Also, bases are apparently hecka expensive.  I take it they're supposed to be one of those "work towards it with your SG" goals because buying prestige with influence is a pointless endeavor.
Yeah, pretty much.

If you all stick together from the beginning, though, you should have a modestly functional base almost right off the bat, and a decent one when you hit 20 to 25.

--GF
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #36 on: January 27, 2007, 09:16:41 AM

Someone, I thought CmdrSlack, asked if you can turn off the blurry background and make it crisp looking again... I kept meaning to check to see what it was called and finally did.  Sorry.  I have a terrible memory.  Anyway...  disable... umm... wait a sec... Depth of Field Effects!  HA!  I didn't fall asleep trying to remember! 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #37 on: January 27, 2007, 06:55:52 PM

Wow, there's a ton of new stuff!  It's rather impressive really.

Also, bases are apparently hecka expensive.  I take it they're supposed to be one of those "work towards it with your SG" goals because buying prestige with influence is a pointless endeavor.
Yeah, pretty much.

If you all stick together from the beginning, though, you should have a modestly functional base almost right off the bat, and a decent one when you hit 20 to 25.

--GF

It's nice that they give you the prestige for members up to 15.  That combined with trying to level my 30s scrapper into the 40s during this double xp weekend has given us a base with the startup power and control station, a basic tech crafting table, a power room that I stupidly built before I figured out that there was a startup object, a med room with a rezzer and some various items of decor that I've been adding when I get tired of fighting stuff.

My ultimate goal is to see if I can't keep our base within the free plot and still have the junk we'll want, which is basically crafting and teleporting and medical.

ETA -- Base design is almost more fun than the game....but I've always been a sucker for stuff like this.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 06:57:43 PM by CmdrSlack »

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #38 on: January 27, 2007, 07:52:10 PM

The simple little game that COX has allways been is branching out. Not so much but the little that is done seems to be done well. You kinda of get fond of this Dev team. They may not do much at a time. But they give you precious little to complain about.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #39 on: January 27, 2007, 07:58:04 PM

I'm really looking forward to the Invention system mixing up combat a bit.  I hope the secondary effects they include are significant enough to matter.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #40 on: January 28, 2007, 03:19:53 AM

I think Cryptic has shown a lot of poise and precision in what they have done with CoH, from launch.

Like the capes? People bitched forever about the lack of capes. Cryptic insisted on taking their time to do them right. And what was the result? The capes are fucking ownage.

CoV seemed like a pretty good expansion/alternate game when I demoed it. I can't speak on Super Bases personally, but I am told they are quite slick.

The worst, and practically only complaint about the game is....the grind. Oh, the storied grind.

This XP Weekend deal? If they just made it permanate, I'd never quit. Even if I wasn't playing at the time, I would just let the subbed time build up. I want me some fucking sexy wings!

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #41 on: January 28, 2007, 07:14:03 AM

Like the capes? People bitched forever about the lack of capes. Cryptic insisted on taking their time to do them right. And what was the result? The capes are fucking ownage.

Oddly enough, while in a group with my high 30s scrapper, I noticed one silly thing about capes.  I was playing permacorpse in a particularly tough mission for a rad defender with a fallout fixation.  When you're laying there, dead, the capes still move a bit.  We chalked it up to drafty tech-themed bases.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #42 on: January 28, 2007, 07:58:24 AM

There's a sort of auto-breeze effect with capes.  If you just stand totally still, they still blow in the wind a bit.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 28, 2007, 09:26:02 AM

The capes have built-in micro fans to make sure you always look heroic.  (Or a minor gust enchantment if you're Magic in origin.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #44 on: January 28, 2007, 01:41:11 PM

Since there's not a great base FAQ that I can find (the one I found on the official forums is good for basic stuff), maybe one of y'all can answer this....I accidentally wasted prestige building a power room before it was needed.  I expect that I'll need it sooner or later so no biggie, I guess.  Could I demolish it and get the dough back or does that only work for selling items from the base?

Also, can I simply sell back a worktable, get the arcane version, use it, then sell it and put back the original table?

Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 28, 2007, 03:48:07 PM

Since there's not a great base FAQ that I can find (the one I found on the official forums is good for basic stuff), maybe one of y'all can answer this....I accidentally wasted prestige building a power room before it was needed.  I expect that I'll need it sooner or later so no biggie, I guess.  Could I demolish it and get the dough back or does that only work for selling items from the base?

Also, can I simply sell back a worktable, get the arcane version, use it, then sell it and put back the original table?
The only way you can lose prestige is paying rent. If you delete the room you'll get the money back. You will lose the salvage that went into personal items, and anything that was in a container when you deleted it.

Keep in mind that the beginner power/control generator will give you enough to run one basic worktable and two med rings or teleporters. Most people tend to opt for the teleporters. You can combine it with the formal power/control setups and it's actually rather efficient provided you have the plot space. You can't get all the zones up and running on a single plot but you can get quite a few of them. If you only have one teleporter make it go to Steel Canyon and Kings Row, that way you have access to the green line (Steel drops you near it) and both the yellow line and Pocket D in KR.

--GF
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #46 on: January 28, 2007, 04:04:59 PM

Well, sweet! I could totally use the spare 50k that I spent on the power room I don't currently need.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #47 on: January 28, 2007, 11:17:46 PM

So since I have this thread going, I'll just ask this here....

I finally hit lv 40 on my first hero ever.  The trainer told me I had access to the epic pools, but I see no way to choose said epic pool.  Am I missing something here?  I'm going to do some looking 'round on the official forums and all that, but I'm rather confused as to how to go about getting this choice of epic pools.

EDIT -- NM, apparently it's lv 41...so that's rather weak that the damn trainer told me at lv 40.  Good thing it's still double xp weekend, I guess....now to catass one more level. 

Now my stupid mission is to figure out how the hell to find Rikti in the damn sewers.  That's the last time I take a security chief mission.  There's still no way to drop missions, right?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 11:28:30 PM by CmdrSlack »

Llava
Contributor

Reply #48 on: January 29, 2007, 05:01:04 AM

Well, the epic pools become "available" at 40, but 40 isn't a "new power" level.  You don't pick a new power until 41.

So yeah, little confusing that they mention it at 40.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #49 on: January 29, 2007, 06:10:15 AM

You can drop one mission every week.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 29, 2007, 08:08:09 AM

I finally hit lv 40 on my first hero ever.  The trainer told me I had access to the epic pools, but I see no way to choose said epic pool.  Am I missing something here?  I'm going to do some looking 'round on the official forums and all that, but I'm rather confused as to how to go about getting this choice of epic pools.

EDIT -- NM, apparently it's lv 41...so that's rather weak that the damn trainer told me at lv 40.  Good thing it's still double xp weekend, I guess....now to catass one more level. 

Now my stupid mission is to figure out how the hell to find Rikti in the damn sewers.  That's the last time I take a security chief mission.  There's still no way to drop missions, right?
Go back to (or call) the contact. Then select "drop the current mission from the contact".

Just make sure to talk to the security chief _first_. Otherwise you drop the leg of the mission that involves going to talk the security chief, rather than the leg of the mission that involves dying horribly while chipping down a number one or two at a time and having to run all the way back through multiple zones.

--GF
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #51 on: January 29, 2007, 08:19:29 AM

Go back to (or call) the contact. Then select "drop the current mission from the contact".

Just make sure to talk to the security chief _first_. Otherwise you drop the leg of the mission that involves going to talk the security chief, rather than the leg of the mission that involves dying horribly while chipping down a number one or two at a time and having to run all the way back through multiple zones.

--GF

It was actually really painless...I went into the Skyway sewers, went into the abandoned sewers from there, plowed thru a bunch of hydras that were a level or two lower than me, found a bunch of wimpy rikti, took them out, then ran back out.

Once I realized that I needed to go an extra sewer level down (abandoned) it wasn't too bad.  The mission directions could add that in and make it a bit easier, IMO.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #52 on: January 30, 2007, 07:28:53 AM

Goddamned scrappers ;)
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #53 on: January 30, 2007, 09:32:00 PM

If you only have one teleporter make it go to Steel Canyon and Kings Row, that way you have access to the green line (Steel drops you near it) and both the yellow line and Pocket D in KR.

So I finally crafted and placed a teleporter.  I assume that when it tells me I need to explore possible locations to find beacon materials that I basically need to get all of the exploration badges for the desired destination zones?

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #54 on: January 30, 2007, 11:31:08 PM

Yep - anyone in your SG can do it (maybe in SG mode?) to get the badge and give your SG the beacon.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #55 on: January 30, 2007, 11:42:13 PM

Yes they have to be in SG mode when they get the badge.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: January 31, 2007, 05:50:19 AM

Yes they have to be in SG mode when they get the badge.
Not entirely true!

You can actually just revisit the exploration locations in SG mode, if you already have the badges.

However, it's easier when you don't have the badge because then you know when the game has credited you for finding one of them.

--GF
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #57 on: January 31, 2007, 06:17:12 AM

Ugh, looks like I'll have to actually use a spoiler site to figure out where my lv 40 has and hasn't been and then redo those places for SC and KR.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #58 on: January 31, 2007, 12:42:08 PM

One last, stupid question that I can't seem to find an answer for on the official forums.  If I move a room, do the contents go with it or do I need to remove and replace the contents before and after moving?

For instance, I want to move my teleporter room, but would like to not wait 'till I have an extra 150k prestige banked up to build a second room, move the junk inside the first room, then delete the first room.

EDIT -- Never mind.  I tried moving a less crucial room.  Apparently you can't move rooms with contents.  I guess this means I'm waiting a few hours till I invite one of my friend's alts to the SG and have the prestige to build a tiny throwaway room.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 01:21:06 PM by CmdrSlack »

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #59 on: January 31, 2007, 08:06:55 PM

Ugh, looks like I'll have to actually use a spoiler site to figure out where my lv 40 has and hasn't been and then redo those places for SC and KR.

Have you got the map patch from vidiotmaps.com? It makes it a lot easier to get at least in the general area of the exploration badges by looking at the map.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #60 on: February 01, 2007, 07:58:53 AM

Those exploration badges are a bit ridiculous. I don't see how you could get enough for teleporters without spoilers, and I hate when a game does that.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: February 01, 2007, 09:14:55 AM

One last, stupid question that I can't seem to find an answer for on the official forums.  If I move a room, do the contents go with it or do I need to remove and replace the contents before and after moving?

For instance, I want to move my teleporter room, but would like to not wait 'till I have an extra 150k prestige banked up to build a second room, move the junk inside the first room, then delete the first room.

EDIT -- Never mind.  I tried moving a less crucial room.  Apparently you can't move rooms with contents.  I guess this means I'm waiting a few hours till I invite one of my friend's alts to the SG and have the prestige to build a tiny throwaway room.
You can move a room with contents.

However, the check for "stuff that blocks doorways" is a little overzealous when you're moving, so you might have to get rid of decorations near the walls before it'll take.

--GF
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: So Please To Advise My Weekly Group  
Jump to: