Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:55:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: You So Cute, I Puke. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: You So Cute, I Puke.  (Read 10384 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

on: January 20, 2007, 07:37:36 AM

This one is supposed to be suitable for the kiddes. 

DANGER!  PASTELS!

Seriously, unless you're a girly girl or a kiddie kid, don't look.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 07:48:26 AM

man o man.  I'm glad I don't care what the kids are up to these days.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 07:55:44 AM

couldn't even identify that item they placed next to the title. I had to *THINK*  very hard.

is that a...fish that swallowed a chest?  shocked

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 07:57:37 AM

"Played by 70 million people around the world Casual Action MMORPG: Scions of Fate!!"

...  shocked

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 12:22:36 PM

It sucks, I think I covered this somewhere.  Its a RO clone, with the worst kind of newbie game (hit one button for 10 levels).  The world and the characters are bland as shit and they didn't even get the whole "anime" feel right.  Seriously this game is trash, bot to 20 on SRO and do yourself a favor.  At least in SRO it looks not quite as terrible (more of Lineage art style) and more importantly the pvp makes some degree of sense.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 12:43:38 PM

Seventy million people can't be wrong!  SEVENTY MILLION!!!   shocked

Etro
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 03:48:54 PM

Seventy million people can't be wrong!  SEVENTY MILLION!!!   shocked

and thats only in beta...
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 04:25:39 PM

I think it's amazing that after 70 million people they only have 797 beta keys left, and it is going down as I type this. Clearly it is fate that there should still be time for me to grab a beta key if I hurry.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 04:40:34 PM

It's known as Yulgang in China, where it's one of the top games, and more popular than WoW.
SpaceDrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 04:57:34 PM

It's known as Yulgang in China, where it's one of the top games, and more popular than WoW.

But... how? What on earth does it offer? Did it just beat WoW to market?
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 05:25:03 PM

This one is supposed to be suitable for the kiddes. 

DANGER!  PASTELS!

Seriously, unless you're a girly girl or a kiddie kid, don't look.

More games need "deadly but beautiful combat skills".  Why can't decapitation and summoning beings of unimaginable horror involve more jpop dancing?

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 08:15:25 PM

A comic game experience for your five senses.
There are two types of people in the world. People that know Scions of Fate and people that don't.

People from ages 10 all the way to 30 have been entranced by Scions of Fate. From its journey as comic to online MMORPG, Scions of Fate has always combined the mystical world of martial arts with comic art and light, airy humor. Scions of Fate is a game that people of all ages and walks of life can enjoy.

The cute characters, the beautiful pastel-tone character pics, the diverse range of emoticons, the deadly but beautiful combat skills, all contribute to the Scions of Fate game experience. Even more precious are the communal experiences that players share together as they’re battling monsters, growing together like a family.

The scope of this original work is complex, yet light and entertaining. From the conflict between The Order and Chaos, to the blossoming romance that takes place in the midst of this world, all the elements of the story mesh together to form a very unique and emotional journey for all players.

If you’re ready for a new, richer online gaming experience, let’s log-in to the game.

ALL FIVE SENSES! What does World of Warcraft offer you to smell and taste? All ages... up to 30!  Conflict, romance, complexity! Grow together like a family: Battling monsters! What's not to like?

Since Scions of Fate received the 2005 Game of the Year Award and the Presidential award, Scions of Fate is a game that is now poised to become a worldwide phenomenon.

In China, Taiwan, and Thailand, Scions of Fate has received many ovations and has now become a community that has members all throughout the countries. While bringing the joy of martial arts and garnering more fame in Asia has been a goal of Scions of Fate since the beginning, it is now time for the whole world to experience the world of Scions of Fate.

As the 21st century archetype for OSMU (One Source Multi Use) content, Scions of Fate will become a global name.

AWARD WINNING! OSMU OSMU OSMU!

Bow before our Asian overlords.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 09:47:07 PM

Rang, Rang.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 08:55:28 AM

You know, somebody who is actually Korean told me he didn't think Rang Rang meant anything at all.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 09:30:44 AM

It doesn't. It's just a slur for crazy Asian farmers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 05:17:19 PM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 05:15:45 PM

i think it's chinese word for 'get away'

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 07:07:20 PM

Check this out:

That's the most realistic depiction of a crafter I've ever seen. The gaunt face and sleepless eye, the hunched back, the forced smile. You can tell he's poured hours of his life into reagents, money, and rare equipment only to see it all destroyed by the simple cruelty of a random number generator. I've registered my key, downloaded the client, and am all ready to give this gaming sensation a try as soon as the beta starts tomorrow morning.

This is going to rock.

Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 06:11:49 AM

I thought that look came from the revelation that after the hours you've poured into your craft, you can make crap that not even a twink would want.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 06:31:57 AM

Check this out:

A game that specifically caters itself to players who entertain themselves by slaving away hours over a virtual mindless industry, in a region dominated by real mindless industry.  There is something very ugly in that, but I'll leave it to someone else to verbalize.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 07:28:56 AM

Signe, if you don't like it, why do you attempt to burden us with it?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 08:06:56 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 07:36:49 AM

It wasn't me.  I didn't do it.  No, really.   embarassed

Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 07:57:49 AM

Nike should do away with paying their factory workers and just level up the factory after X shoes are made, where the value of X grows exponentially every level. They'd need to zap them every time they messed up though, to keep the feeling real.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007, 11:12:28 AM

The sword is a horse! Why are you people not seeing this?

EDIT:

Keys Remaining: 0

WE ARE OUT OF BETA KEYS!

DAMN YOU BURNING CRUSADE

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #23 on: January 22, 2007, 06:01:02 PM

WoW is pay to play while Yulgang is free to play with RMT so it's an apples to oranges comparison though I'm still suspicious about Raph's claim that it's more popular. Yulgang has many more registered accounts in China than WoW does but the numbers I've seen of peak concurrency rates puts it well below WoW in China so it really depends on how you want to define "more popular". The thing about the China online gaming market is that the players tend to "en masse" try out whatever the latest free online game so there's always a huge spike in registered accounts and number of concurrent users at the beginning and then the number of concurrent users drops precipitously once the next new "shiney" comes out.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 22, 2007, 08:57:02 PM

Oh my. It's awful. It's absolutely awful.

In this beta test we're all playing characters of 70 (out of, I think, 90), so I don't even have to grind... which is fortune because I can't grind. My character is completely incapable of soloing any creature that is ten levels lower than himself without "meditating" for two minutes or so afterwards. Ten levels. I pick that artbitrary distinction not because I get experience for them, but because that's the least powerful thing I can fight and have any chance of looting it. Maybe I need a group...?

All of the skills are identical.

I can't stress this enough. They have different names, different animations, different "chi" requirements and do different amounts of damage. Other than that they are just attacks. Strategy seems to consist of "vent chi at the monster until you run out or it dies". If it dies, meditate for two minutes. There is -NOTHING ELSE- to the game.

Well, you don't -have- to meditate. You can drink as many potions to raise your chi or health as you wish at any time. Zero cooldown. Glug glug glug. Potions cost an obscene amount of money, but I started with 10,000,000 gold for the beta.

At level 70 you can buy a pet. They also have "skills" and special potions. It's your little animal henchman who's hard to control.

The quest translations look like they were run through some sort of online translation service... if the english text doesn't fit in the space that the Korean did, you don't get to read the whole thing. Sometimes your objective has been translated as one thing in the quest text and another in the real world. We're in the beta, I imagine these relatively simple problems will be fixed.

The rest of the gamebreaking mountain of suck will likely remain.

I think it's popular because it's meant to be played socially. Obviously soloing is nearly impossible... and any character you type go directly to the chat window. Every single command requires holding control, using the mouse, or the function keys. These are not configurable. That said, it's been carefully designed such that nothing you have to do to make your character act will ever interrupt what you've been typing. I like this! It's a social game, so chatting with people is easy.

Caring enough to play at all is hard.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:22:46 AM by pxib »

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 07:03:08 AM

Good Grief, pxib!  I'm sorry!  I never intended for anyone to actually PLAY these games I post!  I thought we could just, like, you know, talk about stuff.

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 10:01:09 AM

Good Grief, pxib!  I'm sorry!  I never intended for anyone to actually PLAY these games I post!  I thought we could just, like, you know, talk about stuff.

Oh. Well, uh, that kind of puts us in a spot here, now doesn't it?

Hm.

Do you like green tea?

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 23, 2007, 10:02:19 AM

Mmm, green tea.

Don't worry, Signe... it was my own fault for wondering if the unique art style and polished web design meant that this game had more to offer than all the other identical products trickling across the Pacific. Sadly they were just signals that even less attention than usual had been devoted to gameplay and world design. I keep imagining one will reveal itself as a gem... but I'm starting to think uniqueness is neither the goal of the game designers nor of much interest to their fans. Reading the beta forums leads me to imagine a bunch of middle school kids, the sort who populated Runequest, looking for somewhere new to waste their free time. They play to minimize effort and maximize efficiency, care more about graphics than depth, and they chat constantly about which classes to try, which loot to seek, and which other games players might enjoy. So who am I to complain? They're the target audience, and they're obviously enjoying themselves.

Even I can see the good about Scions of Fate:

- It's free.
- These games are identical, so it's never hard to figure out how to play.
- The player graphics and animations are adorable.
- Every aspect of the control scheme is designed to make chat the default activity.

That's all the kids want, so that's all the game delivers.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 12:31:08 PM

Its true the few gem'ish games coming from Korea get ignored and spurned for being too hard or some other bullshit.  While games like SoF garner a mass of fanbois over at places like onrpg.com

-William Gibson
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 12:32:10 PM

I love green tea.  If you buy them in bags they are also very nice to put on sore eyes.  Like what happens if you play these sorts of games.

I'm glad no one has died yet from my careless posting of my happy happy glorious pastel vomit games.   I worry about that.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 24, 2007, 01:28:36 PM

Causing this sort of pain and suffering and you call yourself a nurse?  For shame.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 24, 2007, 02:24:39 PM

I love green tea.  If you buy them in bags they are also very nice to put on sore eyes.  Like what happens if you play these sorts of games.

I'm glad no one has died yet from my careless posting of my happy happy glorious pastel vomit games.   I worry about that.

There's no way of telling whether we've killed any lurkers are not.

You MONSTER.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #32 on: January 24, 2007, 03:07:01 PM

What you don't know won't hurt me.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: You So Cute, I Puke.  
Jump to: